PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger or Batch for Cleveand on Jan. 1

BlitzburghRockCity
12-25-2011, 10:56 PM
That is the million dollar question, the one that will be scrutinized 9 ways to Sunday from now until, well, Sunday.

Charlie Batch went 15-22 for 208 yds. 1 Int. on Saturday in the season home finale. The workmanlike, game manager, held his own and even had his share of Ben like moves evading would be tacklers and throwing on the run to keep the chains moving. In theory given the Brown lack of pretty much everything on offense, you'd think having a game manager like Charlie taking the snaps would be sufficient to get a win even on the road.

The Browns are next to last in the NFL in scoring points, the Rams are last, so it won't take much to beat this team. Especially when you factor in the Steelers defense starting to get healthy on seemingly on a roll. The Browns defense is 2nd in the league against the pass, allowing an average of 184.0 yds per game through the air. So give them credit, they are keeping games close. The rush defense is though is 3rd from the bottom in the league, allowing just over 145 yds. per game.

So what's the recipe for success? Rushing the ball of course, but up until this past Saturday the Steelers don't usually exploit a teams weakness with their own offense. That changed when the Rams who were dead last in the league vs the rush got a healthy dose of Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman. If Bruce Arians is smart, yes I know I'm opening myself up on that one, you figure they'll do the same again this week. Even with a banged up offensive line you should be able to have success.

The x factor is that this is a divisional game and these don't always go as planned. Some teams can lose to teams they have no business losing too in this division at any time. Just this past weekend the Browns were one offsides penalty away from possibly beating the Ravens. They will try to come after Batch or Roethlisberger so don't count this one as a cakewalk necessarily.

I see the Steelers getting Ben snaps in the first half this week if he's able to go and then sitting him down to rest since they'll most likely be playing on the road in week one of the playoffs. I wouldn't object to sitting Roethlisberger down completely either but if they allow him to play, just get him out and don't risk further injury.

LatrobePA
12-25-2011, 11:00 PM
With the right run heavy gameplan Batch would do...

Clevelandsux
12-25-2011, 11:05 PM
With the flextime, we'll probably know our fate before gametime. Not sure what time bengals-Ravens game starts. I say if Ben can go let him play. If the team knows the result of the Bengals-Ravens game and we have to play next weekend, sit him.

LatrobePA
12-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Ravens / Bengals are at the same time..

Steelers/PSU Fan
12-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Bengals/Ravens game is same time, if I was the coach I'd play Batch and see how he does. At half time, I'd check to see if the Bengals are in a close game with the Ravens, if they are then I would still keep Batch in unless he starts stinking it up or we start losing to the Browns.

But if the Ravens start blowing out the Bengals then there is no reason to play Ben at all, just keep Batch/Dixon in since a win or loss doesn't matter.

steelersbabex25
12-25-2011, 11:26 PM
If we can't beat the Browns without Ben then we don't deserve the 2 seed.

DIESELMAN
12-25-2011, 11:28 PM
The Browns are just as lowly a team as the Rams. Batch should start and finish no matter what. Bringing Ben in if we are losing and the Ratturds are losing won't guarantee us a win. Ben will not have practiced for over a week, if you think he was rusty against the 9ers, he wont be worth a crap against the Browns. Batch is a game manager, limit the mistakes, run it down Clevelands throat, pressure Wallace into making mistakes.....game over, Steelers win.

Callax
12-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Keep Ben on the bench, don't risk further injury.....

Start Batch and RUN RUN RUN....

Scorp
12-26-2011, 09:58 AM
This Browns win will and should be easy. Batch can get it done. We don't need to do anything fancy unless the Browns have something up their sleeve, which i highly doubt. Just put Batch in and we'll be fine. Hakunamatata.

pimplydan
12-26-2011, 12:09 PM
I say we should play Batch , he should be able to get the job done. We all know we need a healthy Ben in the playoffs and he looks no where near healthy the way he's been hobbling around on one leg .

Question is how sharp can Ben be if he doesn't play for 3 or even 4 weeks if in the event that the Ravens lose .

I have a fealing that the Ravens do lose this weekend , Cinnicinati can beat them .

The bottom line is that Ben those have to be as close to 100% healthy as possible for the playoffs .

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Batch bros.

cmerrifield
12-26-2011, 01:03 PM
I want Batch. When we play the Browns and they have nothing to loose, then we seem to get injured a lot. Its not worth the risk. If we use our starters, I really hope we can get them out by halftime at the latest.

Real Deal Steel
12-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Batch needs to start. Ben needs more time;plus we don't need Ben to beat the Browns. We just need to run the hell out of the ball.

Ravens will lose to the Bengals and we will get an additional week off with the bye.

Zachintosh66
12-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Keep Ben on the bench, don't risk further injury.....

Start Batch and RUN RUN RUN....

this...

jpele
12-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Ben need's to get that ankle ready for the playoff's. I'm for using Charlie besides Batch could use the reps.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

coldrolled
12-26-2011, 04:48 PM
We would have passed like crazy against the rams if ben was healthy.

Arians didnt plan this run game strategy, he was forced to do it because of injuries.

--- Added 12/26/2011 at 03:48 PM ---

JETS News

Super Bowl title, someone surely will have to take the blame for the team's shortcomings.

The New York Post wrote Monday, that there's a good chance that person could be offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, whose contract runs through the end of the 2013 season.

The Jets rank 27th in the NFL in total offense, and they dropped back to pass 68 times to only 25 called runs Saturday -- not a typical formula for success in the three years Mark Sanchez has been the team's quarterback.

After the game, Sanchez, who's facing his own group of doubters, defended his coordinator's gameplan and said a lack of execution was to blame for the poor results.

Dobre Shunka
12-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Going w/ the consensus here_Batch.

Nolrog
12-26-2011, 06:27 PM
If Ben is 100%, then I play him about half to shake off some rust. If he's not 100%, then he sits no question.

Same for Pouncey, Harrison, Troy, Woodley, Kiesel and a bunch of others. This game is likely meaningless so lets get ready for the playoffs.

steelersbabex25
12-26-2011, 08:37 PM
If Ben is 100%, then I play him about half to shake off some rust. If he's not 100%, then he sits no question.

Same for Pouncey, Harrison, Troy, Woodley, Kiesel and a bunch of others. This game is likely meaningless so lets get ready for the playoffs.

Ben isn't going to be 100% till the 2012 season.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-26-2011, 09:44 PM
We can beat the Clowns with Batch, if the Bungels win and they will be playing hard to get in the playoffs i personally think they are gonna beat the RATS, we will get the number 1 seed which will give Pouncey, Sanders ,Woodley and Ben a extra week to rest so i say rest them against the Clowns and get ready to make a run at Stairwaytoseven pt 2 unfinished business.

LatrobePA
12-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Pats would need to lose too for us to get the #1 seed..

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2011, 01:07 AM
The playoff scenarios the Steelers are studying aren't too complex (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20have%20some%20healthy%20choices%20to%20 make%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_773779.html#ixzz1hiEInxm3).
All they have to do to win a fourth AFC North title in five seasons is beat the Browns on Sunday and get some help from the Bengals, a team to which they always haven't been so charitable.

The question that is bigger than the Steelers' offensive line, even with a trimmed-down Trai Essex: Should the Steelers allow Ben Roethlisberger to have the opportunity to improve his on his 12-1 career record against Cleveland?
The list of pros and cons when it comes to playing Roethlisberger is a lengthy one. So much is unknown when it comes to the Steelers' franchise quarterback and his sprained left ankle.

Even if Roethlisberger plays against and beats the team he still gets up for because of a 2004 draft-day snub, there is no guarantee that the Steelers will win the division and get a first-round bye in the playoffs.

And if Roethlisberger plays in Cleveland and re-injures the ankle he hurt earlier this month against the Browns, it doesn't matter which seed the Steelers get in the playoffs. They aren't going anywhere unless Roethlisberger is in some semblance of good health.

Coach Mike Tomlin would never admit it, but he had to know that the Steelers could get away with resting Roethlisberger on Saturday and still beat the woebegone St. Louis Rams.

As running back Isaac Redman said, the Steelers saw on film that they could run all over the Rams, and they did just that in a 27-0 trampling of arguably the worst team in the NFL.

The Browns aren't that much better than the Rams are when it comes to stopping the run, which is why Tomlin again should be tempted to start Charlie Batch at quarterback.

True, the Browns and Steelers didn't exchange Christmas cards, and the former would love nothing better than to upset the latter.
But the Browns are in the midst of a five-game losing streak, and this rivalry stuff could be overrated. The Steelers have beaten the Browns in 15 of the teams' past 16 games, and the one exception is when the team was at the lowest point of Tomlin's tenure in Pittsburgh.

"I don't know how everything's going to shake out," Batch said. "Ben might say, 'I need some reps before we head into the playoffs. It is up to Coach Tomlin and Ben to make that decision. Coach might say, 'Let's what wait 'til Thursday or Friday to allow Ben to make the decision whether or not to start.' "

On a side night tonight, after talking to our friend Chuck Finder tonight from CBS Sports, he feels Ben is going to sit down this Sunday night against the Browns and essentially have a full 3 weeks of rest to come back for the post season.

DIESELMAN
12-27-2011, 01:51 AM
He needs to sit and I'm not talking suiting up walking the sidelines(Ben suited up for the Rams and was on the sidelines), I mean sit his *** down and stay off the ankle. We are in the playoffs, like I said before, run it down clevelands throat, no mistakes by Batch, play good defense, Steelers win.

StillersSound
12-27-2011, 06:02 AM
He needs to sit and I'm not talking suiting up walking the sidelines(Ben suited up for the Rams and was on the sidelines), I mean sit his *** down and stay off the ankle. We are in the playoffs, like I said before, run it down clevelands throat, no mistakes by Batch, play good defense, Steelers win.

Seriously.... I don't understand wtf they are doing. Ben better be able to run in the playoffs or I'm going to be severely mad.

LatrobePA
12-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Ben with time off sucks, I'm not against him taking a few snaps...

steelspikes
12-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Steelers should take their bye week now, and prep for the wildcard's extra game. Baltimore seems to rise to the occasion in big games and fall flat against lousy teams...so do not expect them to lose vs. Bengals. If they do, great. But Stillers had their chances to secure Division earlier in the season... and failed. Playing hard with reserves vs. Browns could still result in victory. Banged-up players should sit.

DIESELMAN
12-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Report: Steelers Want Ben Roethlisberger To Play About 25-30 Snaps Against Browns
Dec 27th, 2011 @ 05:40 pm Dave Bryan

Gerry Dulac reports this afternoon via Twitter that the Pittsburgh Steelers want quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to play about 25-30 snaps Sunday against the Cleveland Browns as they close out the regular season on the road in Cleveland. Dulac reports that they don't want to go into playoffs with Roethlisberger missing all of the last 2 games of the regular season. Roethlisberger was active on the Saturday against the St. Louis Rams, but was only available in case of emergency according to head coach Mike Tomlin after the game.

If Roethlisberger were to sit out Sunday against the Browns, and the Steelers some how win the AFC North and get a first round bye, it would be nearly 4 weeks that he would have gone without some sort of game action. Roethlisberger suffered a left high ankle sprain back in week 14 against the Browns, but was able to play the following Monday against the San Francisco 49ers, thanks to the long layoff between games. Despite playing against the 49ers, Roethlisberger was severely limited in his mobility and ended up throwing 3 interceptions in the loss. He did however play the full game.

Tomlin was asked today during his Tuesday press conference about the status of Roethlisberger this week against the Browns, but would only say that only the players healthy enough to practice this week would play. When pressed further about Roethlisberger and if he would practice this week, Tomlin would only say that we will see Wednesday.

It makes sense that they want to get Roethlisberger some work this week before the playoffs, as to avoid the rust from sitting in. Thursday and Friday will likely be key practice days for him as far as his participation level goes as he has not seen a lot of practice time since he was initially injured. Should Roethlisberger not be ready by Sunday, Charlie Batch would make his second consecutive start in his place.

SteelDad
12-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Ben with time off sucks, I'm not against him taking a few snaps...

I have to agree. 3 weeks with no game action would worry me especially if we go on the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2011, 01:32 PM
So it looks like Ben is going to practice today, but I'm sure it's going to be a limited workout.

Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.nfl.com/players/benroethlisberger/profile?id=ROE750381) said he will practice Wednesday as he tries to return from an ankle injury, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://twitter.com/#%21/EdBouchette/status/152084109286580224).

Roethlisberger sat out the Steelers' 27-0 win (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011122409/2011/REG16/rams@steelers) against the St. Louis Rams (http://www.nfl.com/teams/st.louisrams/profile?team=STL) while recovering from the high ankle sprain he sustained Dec. 8 against the Cleveland Browns (http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE). He played the week following the injury in the Steelers' loss to the San Francisco 49ers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/sanfrancisco49ers/profile?team=SF) but was noticeably hindered by the injury and threw three interceptions.

LatrobePA
12-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Good news even if he doesn't play...

Ravens1
12-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Play Batch? Seems like the Browns, if not able to score well, have good penetration on your offense and can sack you QB. Perhaps he can get injured too and then you can have two walking wounded...

steelersbabex25
12-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Play Batch? Seems like the Browns, if not able to score well, have good penetration on your offense and can sack you QB. Perhaps he can get injured too and then you can have two walking wounded...

Oh no, you're forgetting that the Steelers aren't the Ravens.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Looks like Ben is a go for Sunday, but I still expect Tomlin to not let him play a full game. Get him his 25-30 snaps and get him out of there. I know it's an important game but the Browns defense is going to be out for blood so don't push it.

Ben Roethlisberger went through a full practice (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_774198.html#ixzz1hydPM7oO) for the second day in a row, and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said he is hopeful the Steelers quarterback will play Sunday in Cleveland.

"He moved around good today and a little better than yesterday," Arians said today after practice. "If he can`t move around and get out of the way (Sunday) there`s no sense in getting him out there but we`ll play him if he`s healthy and ready to go."
Roethlisberger is working his way back from a high-ankle sprain he sustained on Dec. 8, the first time the Steelers and Browns played this season.

The Steelers held him out of last Saturday`s 27-0 win over the St. Louis Rams, but they need to beat the Browns to have a chance of winning the AFC North and securing a first-round bye in the playoffs.

Arians said Roethlisberger doesn`t necessarily need any live game action before the start of the playoffs because of his experience. Yet all signs continue to point to Roethlisberger playing against the Browns.

"You`d like to have everybody out there because of the value of the game and we want our best players out there playing well and he`s obviously one of those," Arians said, "so yeah you`d like him out there but not at the risk of injuring himself."

Roethlisberger, who is also battling a head cold, continues to strengthen his injured left ankle and get treatment on it at the Steelers` practice facility and at home.
He said he will have to wear the brace that has been protecting his ankle the rest of the season. Even if the Steelers get the No. 1 or No. 2 seed and the week off that comes with it, Roethlisberger said he won`t be at full strength the rest of the season.
"I`d like to get to 75 (percent)," Roethlisberger said. "I`d be really happy with that."

Black&Gold Munch
12-29-2011, 09:06 PM
I say if Ben can play then he plays, it's as simple as that. As much money as these guys make to play the game, if he can walk around and be at least semi mobile then get him out there and let him do his thing.

Mean Linebacker
12-31-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm glad Ben is going to play this weekend. Even more I'm glad that from what I've heard he is walking around much better and won't be a blasted sitting duck in the pocket like he was against the 49ers.

connecticutsteel
12-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Ben nd Charlie will both play the question is when. I think it would be smarter to use Ben in the 2nd half

mos07
12-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Start Ben...watch scoreboard....

DIESELMAN
12-31-2011, 05:08 PM

Two walking wounded >>>> Joe Flaccid

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-31-2011, 05:33 PM

Damn, super Raven is back. Cincy will kick your ***.

Ravens1
01-01-2012, 05:42 PM
At half time it is:

Ravens 17 Bengals 3

Browns 6 Steelers 3

Man, ya'll really know how to stink up the joint!

Speeed
01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
And?

If I remember, the Ravens barely beat them the last game. I think the the Browns are underrated because they play in such a tough division. I don't count the Bengals out, as it is only a two score game.

At half time it is:

Ravens 17 Bengals 3

Browns 6 Steelers 3

Man, ya'll really know how to stink up the joint!

coach
01-01-2012, 06:50 PM
2 takeaways at the same time in two different games (beating my head on wall).