PDA

View Full Version : Defense pitches a shutout on Christmas eve

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Even though Steven Jackson went over 100 yds again today, 24 carries for 103 yds. to be exact, the defense was on their game and really able to exploit the inexperienced Rams QB Kellen Clemens. The Rams went in with a gameplan of running Steven Jackson and to their credit they did a decent job. Jackson was the first back to go over 100 yds against the Steelers since October. He's a tough runner for any defense to bring down, and did get his 7th straight season of 1000+ yds rushing today. Still though besides Jackson the only offense the Rams had to muster up was:

Clemens - 9/24 passing, 91 yds. 0 TD's.
Lloyd - 3 catches, 29 yds. 0 TD's.

That's about the long and short of it. The pass rush didn't get there at all in the first half oddly enough, with really only Keisel getting close to Clemens at all on a few occasions. In the second half though they were able to turn up the heat a bit and start to really shut down the pass completely. Harrison and Hood were getting after Clemens and Cam Heyward nearly got a sack as well.

The secondary was really playing lights out today. Troy was all over the place, Ryan Clark played well, Gay and Lewis were defensing passes. The middle of the field was well played by the linebackers for the most part as well. This group is really just fun to watch, and finally after so many years a really overall well rounded group with a bright future.

Troy Polamalu - 6 Tackles today
Lawrence Timmons - 10 Tackles, 1 Sack
Ziggy Hood - 5 Tackles, 1 Sack
James Harrison - 4 Tackles, 1 Sack
Ryan Clark - 5 Tackles
Will Gay - 6 Tackles.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-24-2011, 05:09 PM
They should against a terrible Rams offense......

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah true, I mean if you like Clemens throw for 250 yds and a couple TD's against you then there is something wrong. Still though, a shutout is always good and especially in the season finale at home. Interestingly enough if you remember the opening game at home this year they also pitched a shutout vs the Seahawks, 24-0.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah true, I mean if you like Clemens throw for 250 yds and a couple TD's against you then there is something wrong. Still though, a shutout is always good and especially in the season finale at home. Interestingly enough if you remember the opening game at home this year they also pitched a shutout vs the Seahawks, 24-0.

NFC West teams at Heinz=shutouts.....:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Something else interesting too. In the last 5 games to date the Steelers defense has allowed:
Chiefs - 9 points
Bengals - 7 points
Browns - 3 points
49ers - 20 points
Rams - 0 points

Those are some pretty impressive stats and what you want to see from a defense heading into the playoffs.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Something else interesting too. In the last 5 games to date the Steelers defense has allowed:
Chiefs - 9 points
Bengals - 7 points
Browns - 3 points
49ers - 20 points
Rams - 0 points

Those are some pretty impressive stats and what you want to see from a defense heading into the playoffs.

The defense has done a great job at preventing points all season.....The lack of turn overs is what is troublesome to me....Sure the defense has gotten better the last few weeks but still we're all use to this defense creating turn overs on a more consistent rate.......

SteelCityVoice
12-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Just proves this team can win a lot of games as long as the offense doesn't turn the ball over.

LatrobePA
12-24-2011, 09:35 PM
The defense is money when we have a lead, w/ out one they scare me at times..

Thisoneguy555
12-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Too bad they still can't defend the run. The Rams probably could have scored at least 10 points if they didn't stop riding Jackson, who pretty much ran all over the defense. But because they aren't fighting for a playoff spot, they limited his action.

SteelerJay
12-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Chiefs - 9 points
Bengals - 7 points
Browns - 3 points
49ers - 20 points
Rams - 0 points

they are giving a AVG of just 7.8 ppg in the last 5 games i'd say thats pretty damn game if you ask me!

Raleigh Steel
12-25-2011, 08:04 AM
the big "problem" with our defense is that they aren't getting the turnovers needed to give the BA lead offense a short field.

the way it is now, it's not good enough that the defense holds teams to under 15 pts per game, but they also have to get turnovers so the offense doesn't have to drive the ball over 50 yards to score.

yet another reason BA has got to go!

LarryNJ
12-25-2011, 08:47 AM
The defense has done a great job at preventing points all season.....The lack of turn overs is what is troublesome to me....Sure the defense has gotten better the last few weeks but still we're all use to this defense creating turn overs on a more consistent rate.......

That better change if we want to win in the playoffs. You must win the turn over battle.