PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Benched

Stairwayto7
12-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Just listen to Tomlin say that he didnt prepare well and so he sat him for a veteran that did prepare. Wow Gilberts got a way to go I guess. Pouncey better pull his BF aside and talk to him. When asked Tomlin said he isnt sure if Gilbert will start next week. Not a good thing!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Yeah, he said he did not like the way Gilbert prepared himself this week and wanted to send him a message. We didn't hear anything out of practice at all on him, but whatever he did or didn't do, Tomlin wanted to make sure he knew he won't tolerate half assed preparation.

I'm somewhat surprised a rookie like Gilbert, a guy with such high hopes and solid play as the year went on would take the week off so to speak.

Interestingly enough, when asked if Gilbert will have to win his job back, Tomlin said we'll see how it goes.

The Steelers benched rookie Marcus Gilbert on Saturday and went with Jonathan Scott at right tackle. (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20sit%20Gilbert%20in%20favor%20of%20Scott %20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_773681.html#ixzz1hWf8Yryk)
"I didn't like the way he prepared this week," coach Mike Tomlin said after the Steelers' 27-0 win over the St. Louis Rams. "I wanted to make a point that it wasn't what we like."

Gilbert's benching wasn't the only shuffling that occurred on the offensive line.
Trai Essex moved from left guard to center after Doug Legursky exited the game in the first quarter with a strained shoulder. Legursky had started his second straight game at center with Pro Bowler Maurkice Pouncey out because of a high-ankle sprain.
Legursky could have returned, Tomlin said, but Essex played well enough to make it a moot point.

"I particularly liked the effort from Trai Essex," Tomlin said.

Big T
12-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Same thing happened with Mendenhall in 09. He came back the next week with 160+ yards rushing and 2 TDs against SD.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Yea hopefully Gilbert gets a chip on his shoulder and prepares very well this week in practice....Then dominates next week....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Same thing happened with Mendenhall in 09. He came back the next week with 160+ yards rushing and 2 TDs against SD.

Ya know I was thinking the same thing about Mendenhall being the dog house earlier in his career. He had fumble issues and some attitude problems and Tomlin let him have it. Great players respond when put in those situations by the coach.

I expect Gilbert to step up his efforts this week.

Stairwayto7
12-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Scott actually played good, but I would rather have Gilbert in there

LevonKirkland99
12-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Just listen to Tomlin say that he didnt prepare well and so he sat him for a veteran that did prepare. Wow Gilberts got a way to go I guess. Pouncey better pull his BF aside and talk to him. When asked Tomlin said he isnt sure if Gilbert will start next week. Not a good thing!

Tomlin should bench Pouncy for his plays too...

LatrobePA
12-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Scott was horrid today, when he needed to protect he failed..

Good for Gilbert I hope he gets his head out of his ***!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Scott wasn't the worst thing today out on the field. He did help lead a big rushing day and Batch wasn't sacked at all. When you consider all the backups in the lineup, that's pretty good.

LatrobePA
12-24-2011, 07:30 PM
True, he just seems to get man handled..

connecticutsteel
12-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Tomlin should bench Pouncy for his plays too...

why bench pouncey? he's by far our best o-line guy .Gilbert isn't used to a long season the college season is over.he probably got lazy and half-assed practice

Real Deal Steel
12-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Yeah, he said he did not like the way Gilbert prepared himself this week and wanted to send him a message. We didn't hear anything out of practice at all on him, but whatever he did or didn't do, Tomlin wanted to make sure he knew he won't tolerate half assed preparation.

I'm somewhat surprised a rookie like Gilbert, a guy with such high hopes and solid play as the year went on would take the week off so to speak.

Interestingly enough, when asked if Gilbert will have to win his job back, Tomlin said we'll see how it goes.

Good move. Listen, Gilbert is going to be good but he's never experienced this type of football at this level. This has been a hard season on the O-line in general and this is going to make Gilbert a beast next season with a full camp and OTA's under his belt.

SteelerJay
12-25-2011, 01:01 AM
why bench pouncey? he's by far our best o-line guy .Gilbert isn't used to a long season the college season is over.he probably got lazy and half-assed practice

:plus1:

HUNT4SEVEN
12-25-2011, 01:46 AM

Well said Pouncey is our best linemen, it's not easy to function on a high ankle sprain let alone play football for an hour plus, i think is a great move to rest Pouncey, Woodley, Ben and Sanders and have them ready for the playoffs,Gilbert is our future RT he probably did hit a rookie wall, hopefully he will learn from this and be better because of it,we are gonna need him for the playoff run....making statements like that about our pro bowler Center has me wondering if people understand the game of football smh...

StillersSound
12-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Yea hopefully Gilbert gets a chip on his shoulder and prepares very well this week in practice....Then dominates next week....

Doubt it... Athletes really shouldn't be able to use Twitter... I look on his Twitter and 1) He stayed up late the night before the game to buy some shoes and 2) He's creepin on girls that are Steelers fans. smh.

K Train
12-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Doubt it... Athletes really shouldn't be able to use Twitter... I look on his Twitter and 1) He stayed up late the night before the game to buy some shoes and 2) He's creepin on girls that are Steelers fans. smh.

hes a grown *** man, not like he was making it rain at the strip club the night before "he stayed up late" wtf is this middle school?

whoever said bench pouncey.....smh

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Tomlin said today in his press conference that "we'll see" when asked if Gilbert will get his job back at RT. He said he is impressed with him this year and he's done a good job but there are some maturity and growth issues they want to address.

DIESELMAN
12-27-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm thinking Gilbert was doing so good that he got caught up in that and probably thought no matter what he did or didn't do his job was secure. Him being benched was a wise decision by Tomlin and hopefully will wake him up to the fact that he has to keep working hard not only to keep his starting job but to also get better. Complacency has no place in the locker room. The "standard is the standard".

K Train
12-27-2011, 02:04 PM
gilbert is fine, the only reason he was benched was because the rams are terrible and it was a window to send him a message....dont see this being a problem

LatrobePA
12-27-2011, 02:22 PM
J Scott is horrid, I hope Gilbert can get back into there ASAP...

Goodfrom55
12-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Anyone (including Tomlin) knows Gilbert is the long term answer at RT and Scott, is nothing but a long term disease. He is just trying to light some fire under the big fella. Chances are Pouncey got in his ear as well. Look for Gilbert to have a great game this week.