PDA

View Full Version : Ground and Pound running game, just what the doctor ordered

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Give it up to Bruce Arians, finally playing a team that stinks against the run and he actually runs the ball.

Mendenhall - 18 carries, 116 yds. 1 TD. 1 Reception, 35 yds.
Redman - 18 carries, 35 yds. 1 TD.
Clay - 1 carry, 10 yds. 1 TD.

With a patchwork offensive line, in every sense of the word, they were able to open up some nice holes all day for the backs taking the handoffs from Charlie Batch. The Rams were ranked 32nd in the league against the rush so you expect the Steelers to run well, but today was really something they had to do no matter who was on the field.

Rashard continues to run hard, take the handoff and hit the hole with authority. Redman just never stops moving his legs. That run he had late in the game was very Bettis like.

steelersbabex25
12-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. We played the worst run defense in the league. I'd be pretty worried if Mendy and crew didn't put up some big numbers.

Speeed
12-24-2011, 05:02 PM
But - they did! :tt02:

Just to play devil's advocate, let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. We played the worst run defense in the league. I'd be pretty worried if Mendy and crew didn't put up some big numbers.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Agree........I'm not to excited about this win...I expected the Steelers to dominate at home against one of the worst teams in the NFL...The Rams somehow did beat the Saints this year....lol

mwittman5
12-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Mendenhall averaged 4.3 rush yds per attempt last week against the best run D in the NFL.

steelersbabex25
12-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Mendenhall averaged 4.3 rush yds per attempt last week against the best run D in the NFL.

I'm not talking about last week. I'm talking about this week.

LevonKirkland99
12-24-2011, 06:29 PM
This is a nice feel good thread, but we can't run worth a crap on good teams. Nice to see us run the ball against the Rams though.

Tomlin should've up john Clay last week?

Dobre Shunka
12-24-2011, 06:47 PM
When Mendy and I'll say it again, Redzone Redman can run against Lewis and gang, I'll be impressed.
that stated:
Good win for the team today w/ Charlie.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes it was the Rams today so you take this performance with that in mind, but still anytime you have a good day on the ground it's an accomplishment. Remember they did this with a backup Center, LG, and RT today. Also without their starting QB.

It may not go down as the greatest rushing performance ever but I'll take it because it gives you confidence going into the post season and some momentum.

SteelerJay
12-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Yes it was the Rams today so you take this performance with that in mind, but still anytime you have a good day on the ground it's an accomplishment. Remember they did this with a backup Center, LG, and RT today. Also without their starting QB.

It may not go down as the greatest rushing performance ever but I'll take it because it gives you confidence going into the post season and some momentum.

Any givin sunday the worst team in the NFL can play lights out or muster enough Umph to pull a upset. Mendy lately has been running harder then the norm, so like you said BRC it's an accomplishment no matter what that we were able to run like we did regardless if they are the worst ranked Defence aginst the run...

Real Deal Steel
12-25-2011, 04:11 PM
With the Browns up next, the blueprint is allready there: Run the crap out of the ball and hit them with the occasional play action pass for big yardage.

This is what we should of did when Ben was healthy and Ben wouldn't be in the shape he's in today.

StillinBaltimore
12-26-2011, 02:22 PM

When I read the `give it up for Arians`part, I had the same thought. It will take alot more then a good day on the ground against Missouri A&M at St. Luois to give him anything but my sack on his chin. lmao

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
The Browns have a good defense so I expect the competition to be stiff in that game as they'll be keying on the run regardless of who is at QB. Especially if it's Batch in there, they'll want to try an put the game in his hands.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Since the bye week, Mendenhall has really stepped up his game. His ypc average has improved and just his overall running style has helped him increase his production. You love to see a running back falling forward and taking on defenders head on.

The Steelers long have talked about December football as if they owned it, which means running the ball well on offense and stopping it on defense, and as they prepare for January football their strengths have switched on both sides to the passing game.
Despite their 169 yards rushing Saturday against the St. Louis Rams -- the worst run defense in the league -- they rank 16th in the NFL on the run, ninth passing. They rank ninth stopping the run and No. 1 on pass defense. The rankings are based on yards.

The questions are twofold as they head to Cleveland to play the No. 30 run defense in the league before heading into the playoffs: Can they run the ball and stop it well enough to make a difference, or can their passing offense and defense carry them to another Super Bowl?

Rashard Mendenhall's 116 yards against the Rams was only his second 100-yard game of the season and their third overall, thanks to Jonathan Dwyer's 107 yards Oct. 9 against Tennessee. The fewest times they've had 100-yard rushers since they first made a playoff game under Chuck Noll in 1972 was two, most recently in the abominable 2003 season when they set a low-water mark with an average of only 93 yards rushing per game.

They average 116.1 today and coach Mike Tomlin likes how they've run it lately.

"I think that we've run the ball effectively over the second half of the season," Tomlin said. "I've been comfortable with what we've been able to do on the ground. Situationally, I think we could be better in some areas. I think the goal-line stand that the Cleveland Browns had against us a few weeks back is one that sticks out. But largely, in terms of raw numbers, I haven't been displeased with our run game."

In the past six games, the Steelers have averaged 124.8 yards per game. That string came after three in a row below 100.

Mendenhall, who once seemed destined not to sniff 1,000 yards, needs 110 in Cleveland to get there for the third consecutive season.
Also, their average per rush has climbed to 4.4, which ranks 11th in the NFL, and Mendenhall's average has increased to 4.0.

Read the rest (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11362/1199638-66.stm#ixzz1hptZ8UGP)

LatrobePA
12-28-2011, 09:36 AM
The problem is BA kept it simple stupid for Batch, once Ben gets back he'll go right back to airing it out... I liked the way Mendy ran and this week should be no different IMO..