PDA

View Full Version : Realistically, will Ben be 100% in the playoffs?

StillersSound
12-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Even if they rest him these next two weeks... From some research every high ankle sprain is different. It could take anywhere from a week to months to a year. The fastest I saw was 10 days.

I imagine the damage was already done when he came back out and played on it in the Browns game but playing in the San Fran game definitely didn't help.

So are we going to have to deal with a gimp Ben; who cannot run, get outside the pocket, play action, etc.. in the playoffs?

mwittman5
12-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Ben should be at least 90% in the playoffs. He said his ankle felt a lot better the next day after the game then he expected. If he sits this week that should cure it. It's a grade 1 sprain which means the ligaments got stretched but not torn.

Goodfrom55
12-22-2011, 01:36 PM
At this point in the season, no one is 100%, but as long as the Steelers are smart about it and sit him down vs the Rams, have him go through extensive therapy and then give him SOME TIME vs the Brows as not to go into the playoffs rusty, I think he will be fine.

mwittman5
12-22-2011, 01:38 PM
At this point in the season, no one is 100%, but as long as the Steelers are smart about it and sit him down vs the Rams, have him go through extensive therapy and then give him SOME TIME vs the Brows as not to go into the playoffs rusty, I think he will be fine.

I'd only give him a couple series next week. Just enough to play but not chance any injury.

Goodfrom55
12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
I'd give him a quarter and depending on how "protected" he is, would determine how long he stays in the game. Regardless, Steelers have to play to win; don't want to "limp" into the playoffs.

Mean Linebacker
12-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Max Starks can back from a high ankle sprain a couple years ago after only a week. His was a grade 1 sprain too if I remember right.

Ben most likely wouldn't be 100%, but he hasn't been 100% all year long. His chronic foot has given him problems since he aggravated it earlier this season. Every day that you rest a high ankle sprain is a good day. 85% is probably a good range to shoot for heading into the post season. I say if you must play him this regular season yet, then sit him this weekend and then get him some reps against the Browns in the first half and put Charlie in.

StillersSound
12-22-2011, 03:26 PM
You guys think he will be able to run? I mean he had what, 10 days and he couldn't run in the San Fran game. This seems like one of those injuries where it could take a week to heal if you don't play on it or further injure it.

Goodfrom55
12-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Bottom line, if Steelers can't beat the Rams without Ben, then the Steelers don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

StillersSound
12-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Bottom line, if Steelers can't beat the Rams without Ben, then the Steelers don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

I agree. Just seems like they put all their eggs in one basket(1st) Get the bye, then maybe get lucky enough to get the Texans, Raiders, Broncos, or Jets and get a playoff win at home and then bow out gracefully.

Instead of resting Ben as soon as the injury happened. Accept the 5th or 6th seed and get healthy for a playoff run.

Goodfrom55
12-22-2011, 04:40 PM
I have no problem with Ben playing vs SF, but once the game was out of reach, they should have gotten him out of there; no matter what Ben said. It is a coaches decision to get the QB out, and all QB's on your roster, at some point throughout the season, need "in-game experience" in case the #1 goes down as we've seen throughout the league. That being said, Steelers need to dump both Charlie and Dix, bring back Leftwich and get some Wonderlic genius in the draft who would be a viable backup.

Steelers/PSU Fan
12-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Ben will probably be hobbled for several more weeks at least, we will win the wild card round against the AFC west winner but I don't have any faith we will go farther then that this year.

I really won't be disappointed either, we can't go to the AFC champ game every year. Not a bad season, but just not enough production from our offense and too many injuries especially on our O-Line.

connecticutsteel
12-22-2011, 05:37 PM
The thing is we need to replace some players so i almost want to have a couple of 9 win seasons to restock
rd1 burfict lb
rd2 osemele og
rd3 poe nt
rd4 foles qb
rd5 ryan og
rd6 warford og
rd7 guy ss

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Realistically most of us picked this team to go anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4. Some said 13-3. I think over all anytime you can get a 10+ win season you are continuing to do things right.

The disheartening thing though is if you look at the Steelers schedule, they and the rest of the AFC North had a pretty easy go of it based on last years records. You expect to beat the teams that we beat but you also expect to atleast split the tougher opponents. This year though the Steelers haven't been able to do that which makes you question how they will respond on the road in the post season.

StillersSound
12-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Ben will probably be hobbled for several more weeks at least, we will win the wild card round against the AFC west winner but I don't have any faith we will go farther then that this year.

I really won't be disappointed either, we can't go to the AFC champ game every year. Not a bad season, but just not enough production from our offense and too many injuries especially on our O-Line.

I agree but I think with a healthy Ben we could have made a good run. Him being able to use his feet to make plays is the only thing that can offset our horrible o-line.

Texans, Jets, Raiders, Broncos... Of course in Steelers fashion it wouldn't have been easy but those teams don't really scare me. Ravens have beat us twice and it's almost impossible to beat a team 2 times in a season let alone 3. And we already beat the Pats but of course what I said before applies for us now but it could have been done.

But like I said in the og post, instead of getting Ben healthy for the playoffs and putting all our eggs in the 1st basket screwed us big time.

And I will be disappointed :(