PDA

View Full Version : It's time for LeBeau to retire.

tburg68
12-22-2011, 10:13 AM
He has become stagnate and stubborn. Teams are 3 step dropping the Steelers to death, and DB is not doing anything new to stymie this.

BA sucks and hasn't done enough with Offensive game plan to score more points.

DB has to accept his portion of the blame for not coming up with the right adjustments to combat opposing Offenses in KEY situations within a game.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Teams are 3 step dropping all over the league. There's not a defense in the NFL that can get after a QB that drops back 2-3 steps and fires the ball. Even the most mediocre offensive line can block for a couple seconds.

They key for the Steelers defense this year is the rise of the secondary and how well they've played. That's what has kept us in many games this year. #1 against the pass is as much a credit to Carnell Lake and the players as it is to Lebeau.

roosterray
12-22-2011, 12:42 PM
I really like what Lake has done to shore up the secondary. Now we just need to get our LB's healthy and make some plays.

mwittman5
12-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I think we need to do press coverage like the pats game every game unless the other team has WR's that are really fast. Play press on the slower WR's and disrupt the QB's quick throws.

Steelersfan
12-22-2011, 12:49 PM
DL doesn't need to retire. The offense needs to be more consistent and score some points.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mwittman5
12-22-2011, 01:00 PM
DL doesn't need to retire. The offense needs to be more consistent and score some points.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Exactly they really only gave up 16 pts because they got a TD instead of a FG after that bs jumping penalty on Timmons. This offense is capable of scoring at least 20 pts a game.

Goodfrom55
12-22-2011, 01:41 PM
#1 defense in the league or top 5 almost every year. Retire? no, but as offenses have adjusted and adapted over the years, I believe defenses should also be more willing to adapt as well. Defenses are limited though, because it is by nature an offensive friendly league.

Raleigh Steel
12-22-2011, 01:48 PM
#1 defense in the league or top 5 almost every year. Retire? no, but as offenses have adjusted and adapted over the years, I believe defenses should also be more willing to adapt as well. Defenses are limited though, because it is by nature an offensive friendly league.

BINGO!

however, i do wish they would play more press coverage, especially against mediocre QB's like alex smith. force him to make a good throw in a tight window, or make him hold on to the ball a little longer and we could get more success against the pass.

Dobre Shunka
12-22-2011, 01:55 PM
We better hope not!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Something I've noticed this year is that Ike Taylor is playing more press coverage than in years past. He may not have the interception stats, but he never has those. He's been left alone on the teams best WR one on one and if you watch he'll play a lot more press than in years past.

I've also seen Lewis and Gay play a bit more of it too. The 34 will never play press, tight, coverage all the time because it's designed to keep everything in front of you and not allow the big play.

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-22-2011, 04:22 PM
It's time for LeBeau to retire.

Lol...

Granite State Steel
12-22-2011, 05:05 PM
I think we need to do press coverage like the pats game every game unless the other team has WR's that are really fast. Play press on the slower WR's and disrupt the QB's quick throws.

You said it! Was a thing of beauty to watch.

connecticutsteel
12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't enjoy these silly threads about the best defensive coordinator in the league

Goodfrom55
12-22-2011, 05:57 PM
We're all guilty of it, but sometimes fans have a tendancy to overreact to losses, etc.

DLB has earned the right to leave on his own terms.

Nolrog
12-22-2011, 06:59 PM
He has become stagnate and stubborn. Teams are 3 step dropping the Steelers to death, and DB is not doing anything new to stymie this.

This is an odd comment considering how highly rated the Steelers D is. Now, they are giving up more conversions than I'd like and aren't turning the other team over, but they also aren't giving up a lot of points. They are first in yards allowed per game and first in points allowed per game. They do need to find a way to get more pressure on the QB, no question.

The issues here aren't the defense at all. The Offense is turning the ball over way too many times. Take the SF game. Was that the Defense that held the line quite well or the offense that turned it over 4 times?

LeBeau isn't the problem at all.

LevonKirkland99
12-22-2011, 08:10 PM
It's time for LeBeau to retire.

Lol...

I said the same thing after the 49ers game out of frustration....BUT I came down to my sences. Dick Lebeau should leave whenever he feels it's time.

However, we should fire thet F$#^%*&g Bruce Arians. Another Truck driver Coach.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Lebeau retire?? you really cant be serious. Half the teams in the league are copying his defense. The stats speak for themselves and say the defense isn't the problem. Getting everyone healthy and suspension free,this is a different team.
Calling for BA's head is pointless also,his record of success is not going to get him fired. Like him or not, he will leave on his terms also. I also want it known I am not a BA supporter ,he drives me nuts !! You have to give him his due also ,the team still wins in spite of him!!

steelchamp204
12-23-2011, 03:50 AM
DL gets alot of **** mostly because of the soft coverage. If he played more man we wouldnt be having this thread.

MattyVfromCT
12-23-2011, 05:53 AM
D isn't what it used to be but I don't blame lebeau, other than the soft 10-15 yds off the line zone coverage. The secondary is much better than last year and carnell lake deserves a ton of credit for that. The problem with our d is that the front 7 which has been our strength for years has a lot of age and injuries. Not to mention the harrison suspension for Monday night's game. Hampton isn't what he used to be, ziggy is a major dissapointment, harrison and woodley have missed a bunch of games, farrior hasn't been the same player in years, and to me the biggest disappointment on d this year has been timmons. He's been completely ineffective no matter where they line him up. He was our best player during the first half of last season, flying to the ball no matter what his role was, blitzing, playing the run, dropping in coverage, etc. I can't even remember the last time his name has been called......

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

STEELWILLiam
12-23-2011, 09:04 AM
DL should stay in Pittsburgh as long as he is able. We are one of the top defenses every year, and Lebeau's schemes are a big reason for that. Like just about everyone else as mentioned, I would say the biggest problem is our offense. Our D has held teams to just over 15 points a game, which is really a great number. Our offense just needs to step up. The D is probably getting sick of all the turnovers and lack of scoring. Also, I know it's painful to say, but our defense is getting a little aged. The most obvious example to me is Polamalu. He is not the same player that he used to be. He is a very instinctive player, and in the past that is what made him so exciting to watch. Now he is still using his insticts, but his insticts are putting him out of position a lot. With that being said, I would still consider him one of the top safeties in the league, he has just declined a little from his former self. Maybe we were just spoiled to see Troy make play after amazing play for so many years. He is still a great player, just not as explosive as he used to be.

tburg68
12-23-2011, 10:48 AM
I knew this wasn't going to be a popular opinion. When you allow Joe Flacco and Alex Smith to complete short passes all game long, and in the case of Flacco, lead your Rival team to a game winning drive in the last minute, because you stubbornly refuse to get up and press the receivers, that is a problem. Press coverage and varying your blitzes will get pressure in the QB's face and keep them from completing the same 5-8 yard passes all game. You may also want to have someone other than your 36 yr old middle linebacker covering faster TE's and RB's in the middle of the field.

Don't care if you agree, and I do love DB, but everyone's time is up sooner or later.

steelspikes
12-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Lebeau has carried this team for years. He will retire when he wants to. One of greatest all-time DCs ever. Period. Nuf said.

tburg68
12-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Lebeau has carried this team for years. He will retire when he wants to. One of greatest all-time DCs ever. Period. Nuf said.

He probably will, doesn't make it whats best for the team. Nuf said.

Rampage
12-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Are the defensive issues we have seen this year a matter of poor scheming, or poor execution? If there was some younger talent out there, I don't think we would be concerned with LeBeau's age.

I think it's time for Hampton and Farrior to retire.

steelchamp204
12-23-2011, 12:28 PM
He probably will, doesn't make it whats best for the team. Nuf said.

Maybe if ur lb's were healthy this year. Troy would make some plays(Int's), Timmons play up to par(He has been horrible this year) then DL wouldnt be getting blame for this. Its, not DL's fault that the players arent coming up with the plays they did lastyear or years past or turnovers. Thats on the players themselves. It doesnt help either having Clark try to play pass protection either. He is horrid.

tburg68
12-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Maybe if ur lb's were healthy this year. Troy would make some plays(Int's), Timmons play up to par(He has been horrible this year) then DL wouldnt be getting blame for this. Its, not DL's fault that the players arent coming up with the plays they did lastyear or years past or turnovers. Thats on the players themselves. It doesnt help either having Clark try to play pass protection either. He is horrid.

It also doesn't help when the DB's are continually playing 8-10 yards off while the opposing QB's are 3 step dropping and completing 6-8 yard passes.

steelchamp204
12-23-2011, 01:19 PM
It also doesn't help when the DB's are continually playing 8-10 yards off while the opposing QB's are 3 step dropping and completing 6-8 yard passes.

I have a feeling he will change that come playoff time. We will see though

LevonKirkland99
12-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Lebeau retire?? you really cant be serious. Half the teams in the league are copying his defense. The stats speak for themselves and say the defense isn't the problem. Getting everyone healthy and suspension free,this is a different team.
Calling for BA's head is pointless also,his record of success is not going to get him fired. Like him or not, he will leave on his terms also. I also want it known I am not a BA supporter ,he drives me nuts !! You have to give him his due also ,the team still wins in spite of him!!

insanity!!!!!!! No I don't like him and he should get fired.