PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers still have an opportunity to win this division...

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2011, 04:11 PM
As long as they take care of business against the Rams this week they will then force the Ravens to have to win that game in Cincy on New Years Day to close out the season. So while it's very frustrating that the Steelers blew a golden opportunity to control their own destiny and be the number 1 seed there is still going to be an opportunity to win this division if the Ravens fail to take care of business in Cincy. Its frustrating as hell because everything the Steelers needed to have happen Sunday to have a legit chance to get the 1 seed and win the division did and they failed miserably to take advantage of it and they can look back on this in the playoffs if they lose on the road as the main reason why they did because they failed to take advantage of the opportunity they had this weekend. But it's all water under the bridge at this point and the only thing the Steelers can do is win these last 2 games and hope that Baltimore slips against either the Browns or Bengals or either the Patriots or Texans lose at least one more game...

Goodfrom55
12-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Agreed, they have a chance, and realistically, they should win out anyway. So all pressure will go to Baltimore to finish the job and I don't believe they will have a cake walk in Cincy unless the Bengals mail it in early.

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2011, 04:22 PM
I dont think the Ravens will have a cakewalk over the Browns this weekend either in Baltimore who have been playing much better the last few weeks. Baltimore will have to go to perfect in the division if they are going to win it at 6-0 and that isnt going to be easy at all...The game with the Bengals will have meaning to it for certain for Cincy so we have seen the Ravens **** the bed numerous times this year on the road and there is no reason they cant do it one more time...

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 04:24 PM
No way. The Steelers had their chance to win the division when the Chargers beat the Ravens. No chance in hell the Ravens drop another game to the Bengals or Browns. No chance.

CowherPower
12-20-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm not counting on anything with the Ravens at this point. They got dismantled in San Diego on Sunday night, which means they'll be out for blood this coming weekend. Assuming they win that game, the final contest at the Bengals is definitely a possible loss.

Both the Steelers and Ravens have shown an ability to be inconsistent and blow golden opportunities to get a strangle hold on the division. I take nothing for granted yet but at the same time you would like to think the Steelers chances of winning out are as good as anybody's even with Ben probably not playing on Christmas eve.

Maybe the Steelers get hot in the post season and find a way to win on the road, maybe they end up as the division winner, but either way we can be happy to see our boys playing in January yet again.

BR7
12-20-2011, 04:26 PM
No way. The Steelers had their chance to win the division when the Chargers beat the Ravens. No chance in hell the Ravens drop another game to the Bengals or Browns. No chance.

Agree.

They opened the door once, the won't do it again.

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2011, 04:27 PM

I wouldnt say there is absolutely no chance. The Ravens can definitely lose to the Bengals who they have had problems with in Cincy the last few years with Flacco especially if the Bengals are playing for a wildcard spot which they definitely will be. Is it a great chance?? Not really but Im not going to totally rule out the Ravens losing to the Bengals just yet...

BR7
12-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I wouldnt say there is absolutely no chance. The Ravens can definitely lose to the Bengals who they have had problems with in Cincy the last few years with Flacco especially if the Bengals are playing for a wildcard spot which they definitely will be. Is it a great chance?? Not really but Im not going to totally rule out the Ravens losing to the Bengals just yet...

Even if that's the case, we'd have to win out. Cleveland isn't a cake walk for us either and I suspect the Rams will give us fits as well. There is no indication we have it easy down the stretch except on paper.

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 04:41 PM

I guess there is some point in being overly optimistic, but you won't get it from me. Like BR7 said, we had the opportunity and lost it. Ravens will not drop another game. Mark it down.

Goodfrom55
12-20-2011, 05:00 PM
You have to take care of your own house first and that is beat the Rams the Browns. Baltimore can certainly drop 1 of those games. Except for against the Steelers, their level of play has been all over the map this year.

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2011, 05:06 PM
I guess there is some point in being overly optimistic, but you won't get it from me. Like BR7 said, we had the opportunity and lost it. Ravens will not drop another game. Mark it down.

Like BR said the Ravens opened the door once they wont do it again you can also reverse that and say the Ravens dodged a bullett as well this weekend losing and were very very fortunate the Steelers lost last night. They dodged a bullett this weekend if they lose in Cincy on New Years Day the odds are probably 95-100 percent that they wont dodge that bullet and the Steelers will take advantage this time and win the division...

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 03:06 PM ---

Even if that's the case, we'd have to win out. Cleveland isn't a cake walk for us either and I suspect the Rams will give us fits as well. There is no indication we have it easy down the stretch except on paper.

There will be no excuses what so ever for the Steelers to drop either game to the Rams or the Browns these final 2 weeks. Will both games be cakewalks?? Probably not but it still doesnt excuse the fact that the Steelers will have absolutely no business what so ever losing to either one of these teams which I dont expect them too...

Goodfrom55
12-20-2011, 06:11 PM
If they lose either one of these game, then they truly don't belong in the playoffs.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-20-2011, 06:19 PM
The Bengals fighting for a play-off spot will be a tough game......There is a chance of the Bengals beating the Ravens but I'm still pissed about last night and the Steelers blowing their chance to take control......

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Isn't it annoying that once again we're counting on someone else to get the job done for us, when we had ample opportunities to get it done ourselves?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Isn't it annoying that once again we're counting on someone else to get the job done for us, when we had ample opportunities to get it done ourselves?

Yep.......:yesnod: I'm really not in the mood to discuss this team right now....lol They better flatten the Rams on Sat....lol

DIESELMAN
12-20-2011, 07:40 PM
You have to take care of your own house first and that is beat the Rams the Browns. Baltimore can certainly drop 1 of those games. Except for against the Steelers, their level of play has been all over the map this year.
Your right, but we've been all over the map as well.

I really thought this team had turned the corner after whipping the bengals. Granted it didn't help with Ben getting hurt but he was the only one hurt. No excuse for the rest of the team to play like crap.

Yep.......:yesnod: I'm really not in the mood to discuss this team right now....lol They better flatten the Rams on Sat....lol

Don't hold your breath bro.....:greengrin:

Goodfrom55
12-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Steelers are already in the playoffs so technically, and I hate that word, the Steelers are playing with house money. Would have been nice to secure HFA throughout playoffs, but as wel all know, having HFA doesn't guarantee a trip to the Superbowl for this team.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2011, 08:08 PM
The Bengals fighting for a play-off spot will be a tough game......There is a chance of the Bengals beating the Ravens but I'm still pissed about last night and the Steelers blowing their chance to take control......

No doubt man, blowing that opportunity last night with everything that's happened this season just makes it all the worse. You have a chance to make amends for the missed opportunities you had before, to get on a roll and ensure your own home field destiny lies within your control. I had a bad feeling going into last night that it was going to be ugly but I didn't foresee 4 turnovers, what a disaster.

I'm not ready to hand the division to the ravens just yet, that Cincy game could be very interesting. They won't roll over and die like in years past.

My issue is can the Steelers take care of their own issues, get healthy and finish out strong? You'd like to think so but I can't stake my life on it by any stretch.

Nolrog
12-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Face it. The divison was lost last night.

Not out of the realm of possibility for Baltimore to lose, but highly unlikely.

North Steel
12-20-2011, 11:17 PM
We had very few cake walks this year.Please lets just get these guys healthy and ready to kick some fuc_king *** like we should be doing.:helmet:g

elephantman
12-21-2011, 12:26 AM
has everyone forgot about Houston.....if (a Big IF) we do indeed win the division with a Raven loss.....Houston gets the 2 seed if they win out and they have an easy schedule...so the best we get is a 3 seed....BIG difference between 2 and 3...No bye and likely 2 road games after a home game against jets or more Likely bengals.....the only difference is wild card game at home...its not about winning division, its about 1 or 2 seed

last night sucked

Scorp
12-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Steelers would have been sittin pretty if Ben didn't throw the damn game away. They had their fair chances and shot them to hell. I guess they really didn't want to win. Oh well next game.

JensK
12-21-2011, 07:42 AM
The question really is whether or not you actually wish to win the division title at this point. As already mentioned, we are not most likely looking at a 3rd seed which could be by teams like Jets, Bengals or Chargers. Neither team are pushovers and will play us hard. If we, however, get the 5th seed, we would most likely play Broncos (unless they suddenly stop winning games all together). We won't get a bye either way, so we may as well get the easiest team in the playoffs.

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2011, 03:32 PM
has everyone forgot about Houston.....if (a Big IF) we do indeed win the division with a Raven loss.....Houston gets the 2 seed if they win out and they have an easy schedule...so the best we get is a 3 seed....BIG difference between 2 and 3...No bye and likely 2 road games after a home game against jets or more Likely bengals.....the only difference is wild card game at home...its not about winning division, its about 1 or 2 seed

last night sucked

I got a feeling Houston is going to get upset by the Colts tomorrow night and if that happens and the Steelers win out and the Ravens lose in Cincy the last week the Steelers can still get that number 2 seed. Houston got smacked around at home against Carolina the other day and they dont have Andre Johnson playing and I still dont believe in Yates completely so I wouldnt completely dismiss them losing 1 more game this season which is all they need to happen to help the Steelers out...

LatrobePA
12-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Ben is sitting the next two games out, Chuck will start....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Ben said today he is no worse for wear after the 49ers game and he hopes to play. I still say get this dude some rest. It's not like you're throwing in the terrible towel by sitting him. You can still win without him and if you can't then you have bigger issues against a team like the rams.

StillersSound
12-21-2011, 09:29 PM
We could possibly get 3rd. Ravens/Bengals in the last week and the Bengals are home. We all know how bad the Ravens have been on the road and the Bengals might need this game to get into the playoffs.

Lets see how the Bengals come out and play against the Cardinals this week. I'm not confident but we have a shot, anything can happen on Sunday.

Nolrog
12-21-2011, 09:40 PM
has everyone forgot about Houston.....if (a Big IF) we do indeed win the division with a Raven loss.....Houston gets the 2 seed if they win out and they have an easy schedule...

What happens in a 3-way tie? We would have beaten NE but lost to Texas. Head-to-head may not factor in. If NE finishes a game ahead, then it's moot because we lost to Texas.

It's an interesting discussion, but largely moot, since I don't think Baltimore is going to lose again.

LevonKirkland99
12-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Win the division? I am still sick from the fact we lost to a Haurbough THREE TIMES this season...

division...what division?

Scorp
12-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Ben said today he is no worse for wear after the 49ers game and he hopes to play. I still say get this dude some rest. It's not like you're throwing in the terrible towel by sitting him. You can still win without him and if you can't then you have bigger issues against a team like the rams.

If Ben wants to win championships then he should do what is best and let his backups take care of business until the playoffs arrive.

elephantman
12-22-2011, 12:24 AM
What happens in a 3-way tie? We would have beaten NE but lost to Texas. Head-to-head may not factor in. If NE finishes a game ahead, then it's moot because we lost to Texas.

It's an interesting discussion, but largely moot, since I don't think Baltimore is going to lose again.

Then the NE win and Houston loss are meaningless ....we would all have an 9-3 conference record so it goes to "Stength of victory" .which I dont know off hand but the team with the worse S.O.V gets the 3rd seed ...Baltimore does have the Best SOF though if their was a 3 way tie with them (I know that for sum reason)

Troyisabeast_43
12-23-2011, 05:32 PM
I got a feeling Houston is going to get upset by the Colts tomorrow night and if that happens and the Steelers win out and the Ravens lose in Cincy the last week the Steelers can still get that number 2 seed. Houston got smacked around at home against Carolina the other day and they dont have Andre Johnson playing and I still dont believe in Yates completely so I wouldnt completely dismiss them losing 1 more game this season which is all they need to happen to help the Steelers out...

Ill take credit for calling another upset here lol...

DIESELMAN
12-23-2011, 06:59 PM

Good job bro :clap:

nuclearchihuahuas
12-23-2011, 07:14 PM

Great call on the Texans game...I am feeling a Browns win if Wallace starts. Don't know why, have no reasonable explanation. I just think that the Ravens are going to drop one of their last two games. It maybe to the Bengals in Cinci, but I feel it. Besides...fate protects fools, small children, ships named enterprise...and THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS :tt02: