PDA

View Full Version : Let's cut to the chase, you sit Ben Roethlisberger vs the Rams

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Let's be honest here everyone and take off our black n gold sunglasses for a minute. Most of us do that here which one of the things I love about the conversations that go one here at SA.

Big Ben left the game last night beat up but as far as we know not suffering any further damage to that bad ankle. The offensive line didn't block well at all, Ben isn't able to use his mobility to his advantage like he normally does, and it's obvious that his passing was affected last night. When you rely on being a mobile QB in this NFL and that's taken away from you it throws off your entire game. Ben is not a pure pocket passer, he makes some of his biggest plays while on the run, rolling out, or just evading pressure by moving around the pocket. His mechanics suffered due to the injury, that was apparent to anyone that watched the game on Monday night. When you can't plant properly as a passer, it throws everything off.

You are playing a team with exactly 2 wins and has more injuries to deal with than you do. The Rams are struggling now especially on defense in the secondary but also on offense with injuries on the offensive line and at QB. Bradford has been in and out of the lineup all year long. There's no reason you can't beat this team with Charlie Batch at QB. If you can't then you have no business even being a wild card team in the post season. It's not like the Steelers are the Colts here, they have play makers that can step up and help out a backup QB.

If you want to make a run in the post season you need Ben healthy, it's as simple as that. If you keep playing him while he's hobbling around out there it's not going to get any better when you go on the road in January. Sit him down, keep him off that ankle and get him better. You just can't risk any further damage this close to the playoffs. Let's be clear as not to suggest sitting Ben for the rest of the regular season, but sitting for one game is not such a far fetched idea at this point.

Zachintosh66
12-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I believe Ben hurt or not gave us the best chance to win last night, home field was on the line etc

now i firmly believe they should sit Ben the last 2 games... period. home field is gone, and we are already in the playoffs.

We wont win in playoffs w/ Batch or Dixon, get Ben healthy now!

LatrobePA
12-20-2011, 03:05 PM
This is a tough one, the Ravens could very well end up losing in Cinci...

But I almost agree here, sit all the hurt players and play as a #5..

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Any pipe dream if getting a bye week is basically gone now. Yes if the Steelers win out and the Ravens lose one of their last 2 then the Steelers can still get a home playoff game. I have no problem with that logic at all. Play to win the final 2 games, but not at the expense of your star QB, pass rusher, Safety, or anyone else that plays a key role on your team.

At this point I would be shocked if Ben is in the lineup on Saturday.

Zachintosh66
12-20-2011, 03:29 PM
doesnt Houston have to lose again too now in order for us to get a bye?

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2011, 04:02 PM
doesnt Houston have to lose again too now in order for us to get a bye?

Yes they do either them or New England has to lose at least one more game. The Texans have the Colts on the road this week and then play the Titans at home to finish up. The Patriots play the Dolphins and Bills at home to finish out. Not totally impossible for either one of those teams to drop at least one game out of those 4 it could happen. After seeing Yates stink it up against Carolina the other day Im not going to pencil in wins for Houston just yet against both Indy and Tennessee. I agree with you though Matt you gotta sit Ben this week against the Rams and at least give him almost a full 2 weeks to sit and maybe if he feels better you can start him in the Browns game if there is still a chance to win the division and get a bye week which there probably will be...

LatrobePA
12-20-2011, 04:04 PM
The pats have a cake walk...

I say sit them and take what spot we can..

Goodfrom55
12-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Was thinking about this last night and I agree that Ben should not play vs the Rams, though I think he should dress. Run the ball 40+ times, throw Charlie or Dix in there are simply manage the game.

#5 seed is a foregone conclusion at this point, so plan for the playoffs and get people healthy. With the opportunity to control the AFC, Steelers had to play their best bet last night (Ben), but once the game was clearly not winnable, he should have been out of there.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2011, 04:53 PM
The flip side of sitting down Ben for this week or the rest of the way is that you risk him getting pretty rusty heading into the post season. Ben is a QB that while he doesn't need practice every day, he does play better when he gets regular reps with the offense during the week.

We've seen it time and time again after bye weeks where he's rusty for the first quarter or most of the first half before he's able to get it in gear in the 2nd half coming off a bye. In the playoffs that rusty play can be a killer if you aren't careful.

Perhaps you play him for a quarter or 2 against the Rams to keep him in game shape and then pull him. That's an option as well. I would say though that you might sit him this week and then let him pay against Cleveland, or atleast start against Cleveland and go from there.

mwittman5
12-20-2011, 04:54 PM
I'd sit him this week and play him a quarter or two next week.

Goodfrom55
12-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't see going into Cleveland as a cake walk, especially if Seneca Wallace plays. I hold Ben out this week, and play him in Clevaland. If/when the game is in hand, get him out of there and put in Batch or Dix so they can get some game experience.

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Was thinking about this last night and I agree that Ben should not play vs the Rams, though I think he should dress. Run the ball 40+ times, throw Charlie or Dix in there are simply manage the game.

#5 seed is a foregone conclusion at this point, so plan for the playoffs and get people healthy. With the opportunity to control the AFC, Steelers had to play their best bet last night (Ben), but once the game was clearly not winnable, he should have been out of there.

I wouldnt say it's a foregone conclusion just yet...The Steelers still can get the 3 seed or even the 2 seed so let's just play these last 2 weeks out and see what happens...As long as their is still a chance to win this division and get the bye week which there is Im not throwing in the towel yet on either one...

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 03:17 PM ---

Call me crazy, but I don't see going into Cleveland as a cake walk, especially if Seneca Wallace plays. I hold Ben out this week, and play him in Clevaland. If/when the game is in hand, get him out of there and put in Batch or Dix so they can get some game experience.

Well hopefully the Browns give the Ravens all they can handle this weekend as well. I dont think that game is a cakewalk for the Ravens either...

Rampage
12-20-2011, 05:32 PM
I would rest him. No point in running the risk of injury. Hell, I'd rather come in as the sixth seed with a healthy Roethlisberger than try to fight only to prevent him from healing. A stationary, inaccurate Roethlisberger is just about useless.

Clevelandsux
12-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Dress him this week. If Batch can't get anything going, bring him in.

Goodfrom55
12-20-2011, 06:09 PM
I wouldnt say it's a foregone conclusion just yet...The Steelers still can get the 3 seed or even the 2 seed so let's just play these last 2 weeks out and see what happens...As long as their is still a chance to win this division and get the bye week which there is Im not throwing in the towel yet on either one...

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 03:17 PM ---

Well hopefully the Browns give the Ravens all they can handle this weekend as well. I dont think that game is a cakewalk for the Ravens either...

SLightly off topic, but kudos to the NFL schedulers for having relevant games at the end of the season. Ravens should win out, but I can see them laying an egg once.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2011, 01:10 AM
If you read Dejan's column this morning he makes a case for Ben playing this Saturday. While I can see his reasonings and can agree with them to a degree, I'm not ready to say he has to play and risk another further injury. Just because he's no worse for wear after Monday night doesn't mean he would be after Saturday.

Excerpt below, click on the link for the full article.

SAN FRANCISCO (kovacevic:%20No%20bye,%20no%20break%20for%20Big%2 0Ben%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772963.html#ixzz1h8uzn2b9) Let's dispense with any nonsense right away: Ben Roethlisberger can play, should play and will play. He'll play Saturday against St. Louis. He'll play the following week in Cleveland. And he'll play in what now looks to be a wild-card game.
He's the Steelers' most pivotal player, and, in case people aren't paying attention, his team hardly is pivoting toward dominance. These aren't the recent Colts, Saints, Packers or Steelers, for that matter, to be pondering going into sleep mode for a couple weeks, then suddenly awakening their inner giant when the alarm goes off. It's up to Roethlisberger to get these guys going and keep them going.
He needs to be out there.

Scorp
12-21-2011, 01:16 AM
I can't stand watching the steelers play when ben starts throwing the football like a peewee football player. How can he not know he's better than that bs and make better throws? Sit his arse down and let him watch from the bench. We'll get by with Batch and Dixon.

connecticutsteel
12-21-2011, 01:44 AM
NO WAY PEDAL TO THE metal don't sit anyone win out and go in rolling I think what hurt us more than ben's bad whel was the 10 days off we play much better when we are on normal rest

DIESELMAN
12-21-2011, 03:03 AM
He has to play, call him the heartbeat of the Steelers or whatever else, the Steelers need Ben playing to establish some kind if rhythm going into the playoffs. The whole offense needs these last 2 games to try and get in sync with each other. Hopefully this beat down by the 9ers is a wake up call.

coldrolled
12-21-2011, 08:43 AM
This Batch thing drives me crazy, its zero gain... hes 37..

Dixon needs to play....

UKSTEELER
12-21-2011, 09:22 AM
I suspect Ben will play, . . . purely because he wants to and won't be told no!!

MDSteel15
12-21-2011, 09:28 AM
I believe Ben hurt or not gave us the best chance to win last night, home field was on the line etc

now i firmly believe they should sit Ben the last 2 games... period. home field is gone, and we are already in the playoffs.

^^^ Best statement made on any board! He was our best chance, BUT I believe Batch could have gotten us through that game... :imho:

TampaSteelGirl
12-21-2011, 12:45 PM

I AGREE HERE 100% Especially the first sentence...:tt02:

steelspikes
12-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Batch is well liked. A local boy who made good. But this should be his last year. He's just not that viable as an NFL back-up. Lefty should be back next season. In the interim, would rather see Dixon play. He's got a strong arm and can run. Ben as a pocket passer with a bum leg is a pretty lame option. It's just not his game.
Letting Dixon get some playing time makes sense to me. He is the best option if Ben can't go come playoff time. But what's logical doesn't seem to mesh with Tomlin's way of thinking. That Ben played the fourth quarter on Monday still irks me.
By the by, Steelers are now ranked in the bottom 10 of NFL teams in scoring offense. BA needs to hang it up A.S.A.P. Against top performing defenses this year, Steelers are averaging 10 points per game. Pathetic.

LatrobePA
12-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Sounds like they're going to shut Ben down the rest of the reg season.

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has not announced his intentions at quarterback publicly or within the organization, but it is widely believed in the front office that Ben Roethlisberger will rest his high ankle sprain against the St. Louis Rams and could sit out Week 17 as well.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
Roethlisberger was clearly hobbled during Monday's 20-3 loss to the San Francisco 49ers. He was immobile and had to adjust his plant foot on throws to compensate for the injury. With Pittsburgh assured a playoff spot and trailing the Baltimore Ravens for the AFC North title on a tiebreaker, the Steelers will focus on being healthy for the postseason.

Charlie Batch is Roethlisberger's backup. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians prefers the veteran to Dennis Dixon, but others in the organization believe Dixon's athleticism and improvisational skills make him the more viable starter. Should Batch struggle and become a sitting target behind a wounded offensive line, Dixon might see the field.

On Tuesday, Tomlin denied wanting to sit Roethlisberger during Monday night's game, contradicting the quarterback's own account of being approached to come out late. Tomlin did acknowledge that the injury affected Roethlisberger's game.

"I'm sure it did," Tomlin told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "A lot of his game is predicated on mobility and so forth. But he wanted to give it a shot, we wanted him to give it a shot. We don't make any excuses for what we tried to do (Monday)."

Center Maurkice Pouncey, who missed Monday night's game, is likely to sit another week as well, according to sources.

coldrolled
12-21-2011, 03:02 PM
By the by, Steelers are now ranked in the bottom 10 of NFL teams in scoring offense. BA needs to hang it up A.S.A.P. Against top performing defenses this year, Steelers are averaging 10 points per game. Pathetic.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding a winner :cope::cope:

LatrobePA
12-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding a winner :cope::cope:

Tomlin loves his veteran players as much as his veteren play callers...

IMO Tomlin needs to talk them both into retirement!

LatrobePA
12-21-2011, 06:47 PM
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 21, 2011
Roethlisberger laughs off report he won't play
Ben Roethlisberger was surprised by an NFL Network report that he will not play Saturday against the St. Louis Rams.

The report, made via Tweet by Jason La Canfora, claimed that team officials told him Roethlisberger would sit out against the Rams.

"The NFL Network said that? Not really, they always like to say things," Roethlisberger said when asked if he was surprised by the report.

"Unless coach has said something, I’m going to wait to hear it from him."

Roethlisberger said he expects to play.

Maurkice Pouncey also expects to play this week. He's been fitted with a brace for his injured ankle.

Goodfrom55
12-21-2011, 07:23 PM
I read somewhere that the Steelers, even if they lose their final 2 games, have locked up the #5. That being the case, and a trip to Denver or Oakland on the Horizon, why bother playing Ben vs either Cleveland or St. Louis? Except from a stats standpoint, it makes no sense. Team should be fine vs both teams and besides, with Ben's ankle, BOTH QB'S need game experience this season.

Irony here, Steelers won't play Ben, Houston and Baltimore will lose, leaving the door wide open for the Steelers to secure the #2 if they beat Cleveland? Do you play him at that point? For a chance to move up I say yes, but if everything is locked up already, I say no.

StillersSound
12-21-2011, 09:41 PM
I read somewhere that the Steelers, even if they lose their final 2 games, have locked up the #5.

I think they would need to win 1 more. They would be tied with the Jets if they win out. I'm not sure what the tie-breaker is. Their divisional records at the moment are the same 3-2.

I don't understand why we have 3 back-ups on the roster and not one of them can step in and manage one game and not throw it away. I think it has something to do with our o-line being one of the worst in the league. They don't want to see Batch get killed on the field. Ben needs to take these two weeks off and just rest since we aren't going to get a first round bye. We need him to be able to run somewhat... Is that even going to be possible this year?

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Sounds like they're going to shut Ben down the rest of the reg season.

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has not announced his intentions at quarterback publicly or within the organization, but it is widely believed in the front office that Ben Roethlisberger will rest his high ankle sprain against the St. Louis Rams and could sit out Week 17 as well.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
Roethlisberger was clearly hobbled during Monday's 20-3 loss to the San Francisco 49ers. He was immobile and had to adjust his plant foot on throws to compensate for the injury. With Pittsburgh assured a playoff spot and trailing the Baltimore Ravens for the AFC North title on a tiebreaker, the Steelers will focus on being healthy for the postseason.

Charlie Batch is Roethlisberger's backup. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians prefers the veteran to Dennis Dixon, but others in the organization believe Dixon's athleticism and improvisational skills make him the more viable starter. Should Batch struggle and become a sitting target behind a wounded offensive line, Dixon might see the field.

On Tuesday, Tomlin denied wanting to sit Roethlisberger during Monday night's game, contradicting the quarterback's own account of being approached to come out late. Tomlin did acknowledge that the injury affected Roethlisberger's game.

"I'm sure it did," Tomlin told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "A lot of his game is predicated on mobility and so forth. But he wanted to give it a shot, we wanted him to give it a shot. We don't make any excuses for what we tried to do (Monday)."

Center Maurkice Pouncey, who missed Monday night's game, is likely to sit another week as well, according to sources.

Hope so. Remember the Steelers tried to kill McCoy. Tit for fn Tat. No point in seein ben get trashed again by that pos team from up by the lake. All for pulling him to get healthy.

DIESELMAN
12-21-2011, 10:07 PM
I think they would need to win 1 more. They would be tied with the Jets if they win out. I'm not sure what the tie-breaker is. Their divisional records at the moment are the same 3-2.

The Steelers have locked up a playoff spot no matter what happens these last 2 games. The only thing up in the air, is who wins the AFC North, Balt wins out, they get the crown. They lose 1 game and we win out, we get the crown.

steelspikes
12-21-2011, 11:29 PM
NFL.com has just reported that Steelers plan to rest Ben.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254512c/article/steelers-s

Nolrog
12-22-2011, 08:49 AM
I think resting Ben is the best idea. In fact, Ben, Woodly, Pouncey, Troy, Ike. I'd rest them all if not the whole game, then for for at least half. Time to get healthy for the playoffs.

roosterray
12-22-2011, 01:51 PM

Agreed :yellowthumb::yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-23-2011, 02:38 AM
Gametime decision or not, sit the dude down. He hasn't practiced this week, he didn't practice much at all last week. If you don't get him the rest he needs he's never going to heal up. I'm telling you the closer this game gets, sit him down, and let Batch go in and play this game. Run the hell out of the ball on Saturday afternoon, mix in some play action and a few longer plays and call it a day.

You keep this up and he's going to limp into the playoffs with no practice time and continue to have bad performances like we saw on Monday night.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20QB%20Roethlisberger%20rests%20ankle%20a gain%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_773374.html#ixzz1hKxO4SsF), still noticeably bothered by a high-left ankle sprain, didn't practice for the second straight day Thursday.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Roethlisberger is a game-day decision for Saturday's contest against the St. Louis Rams at Heinz Field.

When asked about sitting Roethlisberger as the Rams are doing with Sam Bradford and a similar injury, Arians barked at the notion.

"They're not in same boat we're in," said Arians, who said they made decision to play Roethlisberger this past Monday after seeing the quarterback move in pregame warmups. "We're still playing for a bye and a lot of things, back-to-back 12-4 season. There's no reason for that."

Center Maurkice Pouncey also sat out Thursday's practice, along with running back Mewelde Moore and rookie cornerback Curtis Brown. Pouncey was optimistic about playing Saturday despite a high ankle sprain, then said, "It's one chance in a million. I can walk around and I can move, so pain tolerance is OK. We've got a couple of more days."

Brown, whose leads the Steelers in special teams tackles, missed Monday night's game at San Francisco with a knee injury.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who left Monday's game after aggravating a hamstring injury, saw limited practice. He said he felt confident about his playing status. Linebacker Chris Carter and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders were limited, too. Arians said Sanders needed to practice to have an opportunity to play.

With Moore out with an MCL sprain, John Clay is likely to be activated. But offensive coordinator Bruce Arians didn't rule out going with just two running backs Rashard Mendenhall (sore ribs) and Isaac Redman.

>> The Steelers allowed more points (20) against San Francisco than they did in their previous three games, primarily because of their success holding opponents to 39 percent on third-down efficiency. They held the 49ers to 31 percent while the offense was at 57 percent, but four turnovers wiped out the third-down advantages.
"That's the way it goes sometimes," nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "We had a lot of turnovers and we didn't get any on defense. They made a couple of good plays that were the difference."

Defensive end Ziggy Hood agreed.

"It did long run it hurt the team," Hood said. "We have to do even better on Saturday. You do a good job of stopping them on third down, but they make a play later on that hurts, especially when they score. We just didn't provide enough opportunities for our offense to make any plays."