PDA

View Full Version : You can blame Ben or the D but it's really on the gameplan and play calling

StillersSound
12-20-2011, 02:37 AM
Not capitalizing on those first couple of drives is what determined the game and they didn't because of a horrible gameplan/play calling. BA has to go, I think he ran it on every 1st down those first two series. Run, pass, pass and San Fran realized this and Carlos Rodgers of all people makes the big play. The 2nd int.. 2nd and 10. Geez, I wonder what we are going to do.

Ben hobbled... They expected us to run on the first play of the game/first down. They really needed to attack this game like the Patriots if they wanted to win.

And what's up with Ben running the play clock down to 1 second every play? This has been driving me crazy. You wonder why we don't get any offsides calls or our o-line is getting torn to shreds. They get a good jump every play!

Nolrog
12-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Steelers moved the ball well on those first 2 drives. There was nothing wrong with the play calling. Ben just made bad throws that killed the drives, plain and simple.

coldrolled
12-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Steelers moved the ball well on those first 2 drives. There was nothing wrong with the play calling. Ben just made bad throws that killed the drives, plain and simple.

Sorry... Invite the Grinch.. Ruin Xmas...

We were so slow it was it wasnt funny, Dixon needed to start the secong half just to speed up our offensive game. Arians needs to game plan and train and adjust for our backup qb dixon.. ben had no reason to be out there the whole game. let alone the second half.

if batch and dixon suck that bad, the FO should be fired for not having a backup QB.

Speeed
12-20-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't know why so many arc as if we should have won that game.

Ben was about 50% at best. His only options were to stand in the pocket and wait for a receiver to get open, hand off, or dump the ball. It was obvious his injury was affecting his throwing accuracy at times. The 49's were well aware of all of this and did a nice job of adjusting accordingly. His ability to scramble and keep plays alive was not an option, and we knew that going in. I even watched him totally shun a block on a run, which when healthy he would have not hesitated to make.

Additionally, Woodly was not a factor due to injury, and Harrison was out. All of this coupled with the absolute fact that the 49's have, at this point, an elite defense, makes the outcome not too surprising. And, Alex Smith, appears to be a quality QB. So don't get all bent outta' shape everybody!

On a lighter note, and not to make fun of his injury, it was a bit comical watching Ben hobbling around the field. And my wife and I were kidding around saying "This man was seen running from the transformer outside of Candlestick Park immediately after the power outages, can anyone identify him." As this was being stated, they would show Harrison's picture.

Anyway, playoffs, here we come. Ben and Woodly need to rest, and Harrison needs to keep it clean, Tomlin needs to practice some clock management, and Sushi needs to get in about 12 million reps before the playoffs!

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Knowing this was going to be the outcome I am not impressed the MT and co. didn't rest the starters. What was the point? Stubborn and hardheaded approach to winning is a pretty good way to end your career both for the player/s and the fn coach.

coldrolled
12-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Second half should have been.. Dixon and a new game plan ready to go, they had 12 days to get a running QB game plan on the field. Hes been on the team for 4 years.. He must know something. Arians..If only if Leftwich was ok... then we would have played the backup.. pathetic

Ben should have been pulled after his second INT. we just fired them up more and more. then we leave him in the game in the 4th qtr down 17. wow... stubborn is not the word for this.

Speeed
12-20-2011, 09:13 AM
I agree, in an earlier thread before the game my thought they would pull him once they realized a win was not going to happen. How many interceptions would have taken? 4, 5, 6? It was obvious he was struggling.

I don't think stubborn is the word, more like "desperate."

Second half should have been.. Dixon and a new game plan ready to go, they had 12 days to get a running QB game plan on the field. Hes been on the team for 4 years.. He must know something. Arians..If only if Leftwich was ok... then we would have played the backup.. pathetic

Ben should have been pulled after his second INT. we just fired them up more and more. then we leave him in the game in the 4th qtr down 17. wow... stubborn is not the word for this.

SteelDad
12-20-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm pretty sure most of us weren't surprised that we lost given how we played, it's just that though. "How we played." Very poor planning on both sides of the ball.

LatrobePA
12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
But we're in the PO's, BA will once again be back next year, it's the double edge sword that has kept him around as long as it has..

StillinBaltimore
12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm going to lay the blame for this one, and all of our losses on the Offense. But I'll start with what upset me with the D.

NO PRESSURE! Woodley did his best Vanishing Teeth Shitzle impression. Last I checked he had done fine without Harrison on the other side. So no excuse there. Also, Alex Smith shits his pants whenever is first option isn't available, and I saw nothing but soft coverage and 4 man rushes all night. Mind boggling.

But either way... 20 points SHOULD NOT BE ENOUGH FOR A BLOWOUT WIN!!!!

And the reason that it became a blowout was that the defense had spent the entire game on the field. Just like our other 3 losses.

BA always talks about being on schedule with third and short.... so was are PLANNING on only getting 7 or 8 yards on the first and second downs every set of downs!? How about we attack their WEAKNESS every once and a while and get the yards we can take!? BA said it himself... we always end up attacking teams STRENGTHS. HE SAID THAT!

I don't have the answers but I know one thing fo sho... BA must go!

LatrobePA
12-20-2011, 11:06 AM
You do know Harrison was suspended right?

This team was too thin to compete last night...

BUT, why were we playing so far off their WR's??

StillinBaltimore
12-20-2011, 11:25 AM

Harrison... who is that? I know we have that one player who plays hard... is that his name? Like I said... Woodley managed 7 or 8 sacks without James. They were missing their left tackle as well so that kinda evened the playing field. And like I said... the lose wasn't the D's fault. 20 points is more then enough to win a game and a 6 point lead in the third is hardly a mountain.

Speeed
12-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Yes sir.

I say if we are going to lose, they lose playing tight man on man, in your face D. Not this soft "bend don't break nonsense." I know it, you know it, the 49's know it, the fans at the game know it, my dead Aunt Millie knows it - on third down, against us, the other team is going to run a hook route to the sideline right at the first down marker.

If we are going to lose, do trying to kick their ***. Don't sit back and wait for them to win or lose, you take it or lose it. This team has changed. There is less cushion in a sofa factory.

LatrobePA
12-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Woodley is way less than 100%.

coldrolled
12-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes sir.

I say if we are going to lose, they lose playing tight man on man, in your face D. Not this soft "bend don't break nonsense." I know it, you know it, the 49's know it, the fans at the game know it, my dead Aunt Millie knows it - on third down, against us, the other team is going to run a hook route to the sideline right at the first down marker.

hook route, how about 15 times in a row... maybe more. I was like screaming for someone to jump the WR. they never even tried to get the INT. i was calling the play every 3rd down. they couldnt? wow...

and fire arians. he kills our OL and then wears out our D. He sucks..

NYCsteelersfan
12-20-2011, 05:01 PM

Your post does a very nice job of summarizing the utter ineptitude of the head coach.

I'm going to lay the blame for this one, and all of our losses on the Offense. But I'll start with what upset me with the D.

NO PRESSURE! Woodley did his best Vanishing Teeth Shitzle impression. Last I checked he had done fine without Harrison on the other side. So no excuse there. Also, Alex Smith shits his pants whenever is first option isn't available, and I saw nothing but soft coverage and 4 man rushes all night. Mind boggling.

But either way... 20 points SHOULD NOT BE ENOUGH FOR A BLOWOUT WIN!!!!

And the reason that it became a blowout was that the defense had spent the entire game on the field. Just like our other 3 losses.

BA always talks about being on schedule with third and short.... so was are PLANNING on only getting 7 or 8 yards on the first and second downs every set of downs!? How about we attack their WEAKNESS every once and a while and get the yards we can take!? BA said it himself... we always end up attacking teams STRENGTHS. HE SAID THAT!

I don't have the answers but I know one thing fo sho... BA must go!

Defense held them to 6 points for nearly 3 full quarters. The offense has to help the defense physically by giving them rest with long scoring drives, and mentally by putting points on the board and taking some pressure off of them. The offense did neither.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
The game plan was supposed to be a lot of quick passes, short drops, shot gun formations, get the ball out. We saw fewer bubble screens than we have in over a month, Ben was dropping back and holding onto the ball way too long, and the short passes were not near frequent enough.

They did a lot of delayed draw type runs with Mendenhall where Ben would take the snap and then stand beside Rashard for a split second, hand it off, and let him go. I get that and it actually worked the majority of the time.

Under no circumstances should he have been dropping back waiting for plays down field to develop.

StillersSound
12-20-2011, 07:45 PM
They did a lot of delayed draw type runs with Mendenhall where Ben would take the snap and then stand beside Rashard for a split second, hand it off, and let him go. I get that and it actually worked the majority of the time.

Under no circumstances should he have been dropping back waiting for plays down field to develop.

I agree with the first part. It was either a a fluke 1st down or 2 yards and putting us in a hole. But where is Redman in a physical game like this or when they need just a yard?

And the o-line played great to start the game because they weren't blitzing and only bringing 3-4 and we didn't capitalize. When you can't do play action... Run, pass, pass isn't going to work.

I don't understand how this team can beat the Patriots and not implement that game plan into games like this. Pass heavy and stack the box, press their receivers. Alex Smith didn't play well enough to beat us with the deep ball. They aren't even a explosive offense.

Ben - 330 yards, 3 ints.
Alex - 180 yards, 1 td.

^ that's on the play calling and game plan.

Goodfrom55
12-20-2011, 07:51 PM
What did we say were the keys? Neutralize Frank Gore, CHECK! Take Ginn out of Special Teams, CHECK! Take care of the football (no turnovers) - NOT SO MUCH!

16 points on 4 turnovers aint gonna get it done.

NYCsteelersfan
12-20-2011, 09:18 PM
What did we say were the keys? Neutralize Frank Gore, CHECK! Take Ginn out of Special Teams, CHECK! Take care of the football (no turnovers) - NOT SO MUCH!

16 points on 4 turnovers aint gonna get it done.

Second interception and the fumble were on the offensive line. On the second interception, it was a 3 man rush and the lineman still got knocked into Roethlisberger right when he released, which is why it sailed. The fumble the pocket completely collapsed like it so often does. The first interception was on Roethlisberger, and the 3rd INT was as pointless as a touchdown would've been. It was garbage time already.

Five years, and absolutely no visible improvements to the offensive line. I see Roethlisberger lasting another 5 years, maximum.

Goodfrom55
12-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah, 3rd and 8 and our CB's are playing with a 12 yard cushion isn't exactly pressuring the QB to throw into a tight window. "Ok Crabtree, I'm 12 yards off on 3rd and 8 so feel free to run a 9 yard curl, and don't worry, I won't be anywhere near you."

coldrolled
12-21-2011, 08:27 AM
The harbaugh brothers have to be silly giggling like girls having to play the arians offense.... they have bruce figured out...

if ba is not removed, more of the same next year for those bros. plus the browns get 2 1st and 1 2nd high picks. if they go OL , WR they will be better. Cinci will be better they are young.