PDA

View Full Version : A potential Super Bowl winner thrives under pressure...the Steelers did not

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Yeah. The title pretty much says it all. The Steelers were given an amazing gift from the Chargers last night. All they had to do was to beat the 49ers tonight and for all intents and purposes, they had clinched the one seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. But of course, they could not get it done.

Let's go back to the historic '05-'06 season. That was a team that without a doubt thrived under the pressure. They won every game that they had to win to get into the playoffs, and every game in the playoffs, obviously, to get to the Super Bowl. This team is nowhere close to that team 6 years ago. You can't go far if you can't win games in crucial situations.

Stairwayto7
12-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Not giving up hope yet, but we do have some issues. There is no way if Ben were healthy he throws three picks in a fumble tonight! And it doesnt help not having Harrison and Woodley for most of the game.
We dont creat turnovers without a pass rush!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Yeah. The title pretty much says it all. The Steelers were given an amazing gift from the Chargers last night. All they had to do was to beat the 49ers tonight and for all intents and purposes, they had clinched the one seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. But of course, they could not get it done.

Let's go back to the historic '05-'06 season. That was a team that without a doubt thrived under the pressure. They won every game that they had to win to get into the playoffs, and every game in the playoffs, obviously, to get to the Super Bowl. This team is nowhere close to that team 6 years ago. You can't go far if you can't win games in crucial situations.

That was just a magical run and its hard to repeat a run like that.......But you're right......A huge gift from the Chargers and the Steelers just **** the bed tonight......From Ben, Tomlin, BA, LeBeau, the defense....People will bring up the turn overs and yes they were a huge factor....But yet again the defense couldn't stop the 49ers at key times in the game....Just one big joke of a performance tonight....

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 12:48 AM
That was just a magical run and its hard to repeat a run like that

Takes some magic to win the Super Bowl, any team in any year. The Steelers have **** the bed in every big game this year.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Takes some magic to win the Super Bowl, any team in any year. The Steelers have **** the bed in every big game this year.

that is why I don't see them making that type of run.......They play like crap on the road and havn't shown up in big games...The talent is there......This team is just to banged up and stupid at times....

Nolrog
12-20-2011, 06:29 AM
When the pressure gets turned up, they start turning the ball over. This cost them the SB last year as well.

coldrolled
12-20-2011, 07:28 AM
When the pressure gets turned up, they start turning the ball over. This cost them the SB last year as well.

They fake noone out. Our offense is pathetic against a good D.

We have no deception in our offense on the field.

Maybe one or two plays a game. that wont cut it in the playoffs.

If they sign Arians one more year. I may have to cancel my cable.

Speeed
12-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Remember we only had one offense option - drip and pass. Ben was not going to scramble and keep any play alive. The 49's knew it and we knew it. As a result, it kept our watered down D on the field far longer than normal.

Nolrog
12-20-2011, 08:22 AM
They fake noone out. Our offense is pathetic against a good D.

We have no deception in our offense on the field.

I saw a fantastic play by SF yesterday. The WR came in motion at full speed from one side to the other. The QB snapped the ball, turned and quickly handed it to him and he was able to get around the corner before the Steelers were off line. That's a play that would work great for one of our WRs.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2011, 08:49 AM
You just don't see that inspired play, a team that rises to the occasion and does everything in their power to not lose the game on their own. A team that finds a way to win under the most adverse of circumstances.

I'm not suggesting that they aren't trying to win, but simply the backups just cannot hold their own and play well enough in these big games and it's catching up to them now.

Ben is forcing the ball in coverage where he can't get his usual zip on it to get it past the defender before they make their break on it. The receivers are allowing some passes to slip through their hands and it ends up falling right into the defenders waiting arms.

The offensive line cannot keep anyone off of him and the holes in the running game are few and far between. Sanders has been hurt, Ward isn't getting any reps, and Wallace has been somewhat inconsistent the last month or so.

The defensive line isn't able to keep a healthy front 7 in the game. Harrison it out, then Woodley is out, then they're both out, then one is back in, then he's out. Jason Worilds was completely lost again and Woodley played decently when he was in the game but he's still trying to get back to his level of play before the 6 week injury layoff.

Throw all that together with a gameplan that makes you want to jump out a window and you can see where this team just isn't where it needs to be for a super bowl run.

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-20-2011, 08:56 AM
There is nothing nice about last night's performance except this. I don't have to listen to any dipshit telling me the Steelers suck except on this board and here it's like brother's and sister's so it doesn't **** me off in the least. Man, that game really sucked.

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Remember we only had one offense option - drip and pass. Ben was not going to scramble and keep any play alive. The 49's knew it and we knew it. As a result, it kept our watered down D on the field far longer than normal.

Ok, there's a reason I said EVERY big game. Was Ben injured in either of the Ravens games? Was he injured in the Texans game? No. The Steelers have yet to beat a good team, besides maybe the Patriots. And the Patriots aren't going anywhere in the playoffs this year with that one sided team.

SteelerJay
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
That game was a disapointment to say the least I was expecting a team to show some purpose last night the only purpose I seen was a bunch of talent that didn't know what to do in the spot light, the season is not lost though, we made it to the playoffs regardless and no team wants Pittsburgh in the playoffs cause at any given weekend we can play insipired football, then again we can come out and lay a egg

igor0190
12-20-2011, 12:13 PM
One game... A bad game... but very tough circumstances
Ben gimpy, Harrison out, no Pouncey, West Coast road game

Let's not overreact here...

Clevelandsux
12-20-2011, 04:21 PM
I just don't believe in this team. They played with no heart at all last night. We needed other guys to step up. Weve been winning, but ugly. We barely beat the Browns, Colts, Chiefs. 49ers are a good team, but we made them look better than they really are. I can accept a loss. But I can't accept a lack of effort. We only put up 3 lousy points? we looked like the Cleveland Browns last night. This team just doesn't have it. Ya we're in the playoffs, but I don't see us getting past the second round. They just have no fight in them.

Troyisabeast_43
12-20-2011, 04:43 PM
that is why I don't see them making that type of run.......They play like crap on the road and havn't shown up in big games...The talent is there......This team is just to banged up and stupid at times....

I agree that the Steelers this season especially Ben are a much much better home team then they are on the road. That is why it is so critical to win this division and get that bye week so you can at least guarantee yourself one home game and maybe a second like they did last year when the Pats lost. Right now while I wont say it's impossible for the Steelers to go on the road and win 3 weeks in a row at Denver,New England and Baltimore I just dont see them being able to do that this season if thats what it's going to take to get back to the Super Bowl.

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 03:43 PM ---

One game... A bad game... but very tough circumstances
Ben gimpy, Harrison out, no Pouncey, West Coast road game

Let's not overreact here...

I agree that it's just one loss and there is still a lot of football still ahead of us. The Steelers had a big opportunity to put a strangle hold on that top seed in the AFC and in the division and they simply didnot get it done. Gotta put it behind you at this point now and look forward not backward and try to get things done that we can control and that's winning the next 2 weeks against the Rams and Browns and see how the Ravens finish out and hopefully they slip one more time which is definitely possible...

Goodfrom55
12-20-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't know if I agree with the assessment about SB champ thriving. If everyone is healthy, I say I agree the Steelers dropped the ball last night. But I don't hold them accountable for not getting it done when their franchise is out there on 1.5 legs and Trai Essex doing his best matador impression.

Raleigh Steel
12-20-2011, 05:39 PM
babe, great topic. i've been trying to figure this team out all season long. i had concerns in the pre-season then opening week came and bam! granted, the 4 losses we have had were to all 10 plus win teams...that's not too shabby.

but there are 4 games that by all measures should have been blowouts and out opponents had the ball with a chance to tie or win at the end of the game (indy, jax, kc, and clev) now usually we drop one of those games...we did not this year...so i guess that's a plus...but those games shouldn't have even been contests.

this team doesn't do anything great or dominate. they aren't dominate in the pass, certainly not in the run. they don't suffocate with their secondary, they don't get QB pressure like we are used too, and now they have trouble stopping the run. all in all, this team is above average to good in all aspects, but not great in anything.

they can't hang their hat on anything this season. add in all the injuries that this team is dealing with...well this could be a very short trip in the post-season.

this HAS TO BE ARIANS LAST YEAR! his offense is not NFL caliber. we have the weapons, and our line could be good enough for this team to put up a lot of points. but time and again we get bogged down and come away with nothing. john gruden said last night after ben's first pick, that the INT was due to "poor route distribution". and that's arians offense in a nut shell inside the red zone.

lebeau has to pick a style of defense and stick with it. if we are blitzing, then play press coverage. mug the receivers at the LOS like what worked so well against NE. alex smith was 6,7,8 and yard outing us with quick releases all night.

i'm usually not soooo negative about the steelers. realistic yes. but i don't have any confidence in THIS team to get back to the super bowl. the FO needs to get the o-line fixed THIS offseason...and they need to get a new OC as soon as this season ends.

and there is my pissed off rant for the day!

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 05:44 PM
babe, great topic. i've been trying to figure this team out all season long. i had concerns in the pre-season then opening week came and bam! granted, the 4 losses we have had were to all 10 plus win teams...that's not too shabby.

Is that something to be too proud of though? We could finish with 12 wins and 4 losses, but if those 12 wins were against awful teams and the 4 losses were against good teams, what does that say about the team? They don't do well when they face adversity. And unfortunately, we won't be facing the Rams or the Browns in the playoffs.

Raleigh Steel
12-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Is that something to be too proud of though? We could finish with 12 wins and 4 losses, but if those 12 wins were against awful teams and the 4 losses were against good teams, what does that say about the team? They don't do well when they face adversity. And unfortunately, we won't be facing the Rams or the Browns in the playoffs.

just for reference sake, the last time we won the super bowl we lost 4 games...all to playoff teams.

but you're right, i'm not proud of what they have done this year. we are 10-4 and it feels like, at times, that we are below .500.

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 05:56 PM
just for reference sake, the last time we won the super bowl we lost 4 games...all to playoff teams.

but you're right, i'm not proud of what they have done this year. we are 10-4 and it feels like, at times, that we are below .500.

The 08 team was very different. Almost not even comparable to this years team. Our defense this year is still among the best in the league, don't get me wrong, but in 08 we could have won the majority of our games even if the offense never took the field. This years defense can not carry the team like it did 3 years ago.

steelers75
12-20-2011, 06:14 PM

LOL. I can imagine all the whining and crying if this team would have been 7-5 after 12 games like the "historic" 2005 squad. Luckily, this year's edition didn't have to go on an epic run just to qualify for the playoffs on the last day of the season, seeing how they've already qualified for the postseason and all. Ironic, considering most of Cowher's playoff résumé up to that point consisted of squandered #1 seeds.

A little perspective, folks...

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 06:22 PM
LOL. I can imagine all the whining and crying if this team would have been 7-5 after 12 games like the "historic" 2005 squad. Luckily, this year's edition didn't have to go on an epic run just to qualify for the playoffs on the last day of the season, seeing how they've already qualified for the postseason and all. Ironic, considering most of Cowher's tenure up to that point consisted of squandered #1 seeds...

Wasn't the point at all but ok.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't think any of us are convinced this team can get on and stay on a roll right now. There are so many injuries to key players that regardless of the "standard being the standard" there is an inevitable dropoff to some degree. There will be significant changes to this team in 2012, so I'm hoping they can pull it together for one last big run this season. Only time will tell but they've got to get healthy if they want to do so.

steelers75
12-20-2011, 09:54 PM
I don't think any of us are convinced this team can get on and stay on a roll right now.

Before the letdown last night, they had won their last four games straight and eight of their last nine. So what constitutes a "roll?" I understand the concern about the injuries, though. I'm worried about that gimped up ankle of Ben's too. We'll only go as far as he takes us.

coldrolled
12-21-2011, 07:19 AM
I don't think any of us are convinced this team can get on and stay on a roll right now. There are so many injuries to key players that regardless of the "standard being the standard" there is an inevitable dropoff to some degree. There will be significant changes to this team in 2012, so I'm hoping they can pull it together for one last big run this season. Only time will tell but they've got to get healthy if they want to do so.

Sorry... Fire Arians first.. Then see what happens...

Draft OL... QB... SS... ILB...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Getting on roll where everything comes together. Not just winning but getting healthy, executing game plans with dominance, and finding ways to win against really good teams. The Steelers record this year may be 10-4 but the teams they've beaten are not exactly world beaters. The teams they've lost to are all in the playoff race right now. Yes they did beat the Patriots which was awesome, but that's the only real significant feat.

Are they going to be able to pull it together against the best teams in the AFC, on the road in the playoffs? They haven't proven they can do so yet. I'm not saying they can't but it's a question mark nonetheless. A win is a win and you can only play who's on your schedule but there have been enough good teams so far that you'd like to have seen the Steelers be able to take care of business against the upper class opponents on their schedule.

The talent is there, no question but can they pull it together now these last 2 games and make some noise in the playoffs...

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Getting on roll where everything comes together. Not just winning but getting healthy, executing game plans with dominance, and finding ways to win against really good teams. The Steelers record this year may be 10-4 but the teams they've beaten are not exactly world beaters. The teams they've lost to are all in the playoff race right now. Yes they did beat the Patriots which was awesome, but that's the only real significant feat.

Are they going to be able to pull it together against the best teams in the AFC, on the road in the playoffs? They haven't proven they can do so yet. I'm not saying they can't but it's a question mark nonetheless. A win is a win and you can only play who's on your schedule but there have been enough good teams so far that you'd like to have seen the Steelers be able to take care of business against the upper class opponents on their schedule.

The talent is there, no question but can they pull it together now these last 2 games and make some noise in the playoffs...
I really believe the Steelers on any good day can beat any team in the AFC in the playoffs whether it's on the road or at home. I have a ton of confidence in them being able to go into whoever wins the AFC West and win that game, and I have confident as well in being able to go into New England and beat the Pats with their horrific defense, and beat Houston with a 3rd string QB starting. That leaves the Ravens of course who I think will give the Steelers the best challenge out of any AFC team but I still think it will be extremely tough for the Rats to beat the Steelers a 3rd time this season...

connecticutsteel
12-21-2011, 10:31 PM
We are certainly better than the Packers :imho:we will be fine.This team does better when it doesn't have time off MARK IT DOWN WE WILL BE IN THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST THE PATRIOTS.OH YEA I FORGOT WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA

LevonKirkland99
12-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Not giving up hope yet, but we do have some issues. There is no way if Ben were healthy he throws three picks in a fumble tonight! And it doesnt help not having Harrison and Woodley for most of the game.
We dont creat turnovers without a pass rush!

They should not have played him. he hurt the team in a way! He is a great competitor but he was not ready to play. He didn't practice all week and it showed. Defense missed #92 though.
#56 was MIA?

--- Added 12/21/2011 at 09:57 PM ---

We are certainly better than the Packers :imho:we will be fine.This team does better when it doesn't have time off MARK IT DOWN WE WILL BE IN THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST THE PATRIOTS.OH YEA I FORGOT WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA

Better than GB? That's the team that lit us up in the SB. We have no consistency whatsoever...AFC Champ against NE? I hope you're right :)

steelchamp204
12-22-2011, 03:20 AM
We have not played one good game on the road this year except maybe the Cards game. All the othe games on the road we were horrid. If they wanna make a run they better figure out how to dominate on the road fast

connecticutsteel
12-22-2011, 04:52 AM
They should not have played him. he hurt the team in a way! He is a great competitor but he was not ready to play. He didn't practice all week and it showed. Defense missed #92 though.
#56 was MIA?

--- Added 12/21/2011 at 09:57 PM ---

Better than GB? That's the team that lit us up in the SB. We have no consistency whatsoever...AFC Champ against NE? I hope you're right :)

look last year is over green bay was better last year i just hate all the whiny negativivty when we aren't the one seed everyone talks about the 2005 team well here's a news flash about that team they got lucky twice once cause they played seattle and again when the officials messed up so enough about 2005 not to mention the missed FG in the colts game
hindsight is 20/20 it's easy to say this and that the fact is once the playoffs start we have as good a chance as anybody . especially if we play as well as we did against the pats

steelersbabex25
12-22-2011, 10:20 AM
look last year is over green bay was better last year i just hate all the whiny negativivty when we aren't the one seed everyone talks about the 2005 team well here's a news flash about that team they got lucky twice once cause they played seattle and again when the officials messed up so enough about 2005 not to mention the missed FG in the colts game
hindsight is 20/20 it's easy to say this and that the fact is once the playoffs start we have as good a chance as anybody . especially if we play as well as we did against the pats

Green Bay was better last year :scratch: are you crazy?

The reason everyone talks about 05 is because the team in 05 has to win 4 straight games to get into the playoffs. This years team had to win 1 game for a very important position and couldn't do it.

Mean Linebacker
12-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Greenbay overcame more injuries than the Steelers did in 2010 and found a way to win the close games when they had too. This year they are pretty healthy and unless they completely tank they'll keep on winning.

The Steelers find a way to lose to good teams and barely beat the bad ones. Very uncharacteristic of of Pittsburgh team in any era but this year it's been happening all too often.

That said I will cheer for them till the bitter end, no matter what!

mikebb
12-22-2011, 03:56 PM
hi everyone - happy to be here instead of btsc!!!!! too many delusional, rose colored glasses people over there for me.

--- Added 12/22/2011 at 02:56 PM ---

agreed- the steelers havent shown ANYTHING to me this year that makes me think theyre an sb contender. getting into the playoffs isnt enuff for me- not with the amt of talent on this team, especially at qb.