PDA

View Full Version : It's Time to Start Questioning Tomlin

SteelDad
12-20-2011, 12:31 AM
I have been a Tomlin supporter with reservation and now I am convinced this team has won in spite of him. I dont want to hear about our injuries or suspensions or how good SF was. His clock mgmt is brutal and his game preparation continues to confound. Yup. We have 10 games but I believe thats more on the players than Tomlin. Horrible performance tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Black@Gold Forever32
12-20-2011, 12:32 AM
I have been a Tomlin supporter with reservation and now I am convinced this team has won in spite of him. I dont want to hear about our injuries or suspensions or how good SF was. His clock mgmt is brutal and his game preparation continues to confound. Yup. We have 10 games but I believe thats more on the players than Tomlin. Horrible performance tonight.

I would say yes...Some things I like about Mikey T......other things drive me crazy.....You touched on what drives me crazy......

Stairwayto7
12-20-2011, 12:34 AM
I thought Ben moved the ball well in the no BA, I mean no huddle. I thought the clock management at hlf sucked, not sure if it was ben or Mike!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2011, 12:35 AM
We have to credit the 49ers defense, they aren't #1 in the league or top 5 in every major category for nothing.

Having said that, the clock management of Tomlin has always been questionable at best. Anytime you get close to halftime the offense seems to go into stupid mode with dumb penalties, poor clock management, and missed opportunities.

Some of that goes on Ben as well, he needs to make quicker decisions in the pocket and snap the ball quicker.

Diehardsteel
12-20-2011, 12:36 AM
That game was laughable. Does tomlin not have any balls? Can't even tell his own QB and his playoff hope to sit down on the bench. Early or late in the game, take your pick.

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Clock management tonight before the half was on Ben

NYCsteelersfan
12-20-2011, 12:42 AM
I've never been a fan, as a matter of fact, as most know me on here, I've been an adamant opponent. I have mentioned this before, and I mean no offense by the statement as I myself am not Anglo nor in any way a bigot or racist, but I do feel with the strongest of conviction that Tomlin was hired because he was black. The Rooneys felt they had to stand behind the rule named after them and so they actively sought to hire a black head coach. He was never the most qualified at the time he was hired, and there still remains other coaches out there that would excel with Roethlisberger and this defense.

What is most troubling is that I feel for the same reason that Tomlin was hired, it will take a long time before he gets fired.

--- Added 12/19/2011 at 11:42 PM ---

We have to credit the 49ers defense, they aren't #1 in the league or top 5 in every major category for nothing.

It may not be for nothing, but it certainly isn't because they are that good. One look at their schedule reveals a lot of the mystery behind how they are 11-2.

Clock management is always on the head coach. The head coach should always know what time it is, and he can always call timeout.

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 12:45 AM
This year has made me start to question Tomlin a lot more than I have recently. Every week he does something new that makes you go
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2256/20586306.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/20586306.png/)

This week I could pick out quite a few things, but obviously the clock management at the end of the 1st half stands out far and away. I just don't get how you let an opportunity to put points on the board slip away like that..

North Steel
12-20-2011, 12:48 AM

Having said that, the clock management of Tomlin has always been questionable at best. Anytime you get close to halftime the offense seems to go into stupid mode with dumb penalties, poor clock management, and missed opportunities.

Some of that goes on Ben as well, he needs to make quicker decisions in the pocket and snap the ball quicker.

BRC imo i think that was the problem,is that he had to get rid of the ball to quick.it was obvious he had no mobility and thats not his style.I don't think you can play if your too preoccupied with your injury.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-20-2011, 12:58 AM
His clock mgmt. has never been great,but Ben had to play a game he is not used to at all. He is used to extending the play not make the quick decision game.
Also give 9er D some credit,they had the benefit of playing with a long field behind them for most of the night.They made the STEELERS drive the field and not make mistakes, which is something the STEELER D likes to do.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Ben has grown as a pocket QB........The Pats game, and really since that game the Steelers have used the short passing game more.....Sure Ben still extends plays and takes his shots down field but Ben is just fine when he is asked to use the short passing game......

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Ben did fine with it at first ,it seemed like he was actually going to do ok with it.BUT late in the game when we were down by a bunch he seemed to want to try and revert back to extending the play ,i.e. holding onto the ball too long...

LevonKirkland99
12-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Yes, Tomlin clock management has left a little to be desired, but don't blame Tomlin for everything. Didn't Cowher suck for a while? before he finally oooh won the SB in 2005. Tomlin doesn't call plays on offense and he doesn't throw interceptions.

He'll get better as a coach, lets not start tearing the HC. lets start with the OC

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Yes, Tomlin clock management has left a little to be desired, but don't blame Tomlin for everything. Didn't Cowher suck for a while? before he finally oooh won the SB in 2005. Tomlin doesn't call plays on offense and he doesn't throw interceptions.

He'll get better as a coach, lets not start tearing the HC. lets start with the OC

Well the HC should've gotten rid of the OC a good 2 years ago.

LevonKirkland99
12-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Well the HC should've gotten rid of the OC a good 2 years ago.

Fine, but Tomlin will grow from this. Bill cowher was baaad for years, I remember.

NYCsteelersfan
12-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Fine, but Tomlin will grow from this. Bill cowher was baaad for years, I remember.

What you remember is Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, Kent Graham, and Neil O'Donnell. The fact that Cowher would consistently win and even make it into the postseason with those quarterbacks is a testament to how amazing of a head coach he was. Give Tomlin any one of the other quarterbacks that Cowher had to deal with and he won't win more than 4 or 5 games.

MOTORKRAFT
12-20-2011, 01:58 AM
The o'line sucks every year, not Tomlins fault. Bruce Arians has a job every year, not Tomlins fault. No back up Q.B.'s , not Tomlins fault. The kicker can't be trusted to kick a fieldgoal, not Tomlins fault. Roethlisberger is left in the game to long (risking injury), not Tomlins fault. Getting out coached every other week, not Tomlins fault. Mendenhall gets hit helmet to helmet at the goal line (Browns Game) and is left in the game, not Tomlins fault. Will it be his fault when the Steelers are so completly deplited that they go 4-12 ? I have been against Tomlin since day 1 and I believe I will be right in the end. I hope I am wrong.

steelers75
12-20-2011, 03:50 AM
I've never been a fan, as a matter of fact, as most know me on here, I've been an adamant opponent. I have mentioned this before, and I mean no offense by the statement as I myself am not Anglo nor in any way a bigot or racist, but I do feel with the strongest of conviction that Tomlin was hired because he was black. The Rooneys felt they had to stand behind the rule named after them and so they actively sought to hire a black head coach. He was never the most qualified at the time he was hired, and there still remains other coaches out there that would excel with Roethlisberger and this defense.

Yeah, I'll bet you have "lots of black friends too," right? So, let's see if I have this right. The Rooneys would knowingly hire someone who they knew was less qualified than another candidate they interviewed and in so doing, mortgage the future success of the franchise for YEARS just to prove a point and live up to a rule that carries their namesake? Not only are you a bigot, you're also a blithering idiot.

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 02:50 AM ---

What you remember is Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, Kent Graham, and Neil O'Donnell. The fact that Cowher would consistently win and even make it into the postseason with those quarterbacks is a testament to how amazing of a head coach he was. Give Tomlin any one of the other quarterbacks that Cowher had to deal with and he won't win more than 4 or 5 games.

Why the fukk didn't he ever draft someone better then? Cowher got outcoached PLENTY of times.

coldrolled
12-20-2011, 07:37 AM
BRC imo i think that was the problem,is that he had to get rid of the ball to quick.it was obvious he had no mobility and thats not his style.I don't think you can play if your too preoccupied with your injury.

Arians cant game plan for Dixon. we needed the speed out there. i said vick had 417 yards against them. pass and run like vick. we have cunningham, but arians has no clue what to do with him..

SteelDad
12-20-2011, 07:41 AM

Yes and no. With 2 TOs left, Tomlin did not need to take the first one when he did. That was really what set the whole thing up for failure. Ben certainly didn't help.

SteelDad
12-20-2011, 07:44 AM
I find it sad that this has turned into a bit of a debate on Coach Tomlin's race. The man has done some excellent things as our coach. My point is that there seem to be things that he struggles with and is unwilling or is unable to change and they are hurting this team.

Stairwayto7
12-20-2011, 08:26 AM
I`m fine with Tomlin! Another double digit win season, still a contender.We went to the West Coast, a little banged up, and lost a game that we actually had a chance to win. Ben had the offesne moving on the first two picks. Then later he fumbled in thier territory. A healthy Ben maybe a different outcome? Also still not crazy about the play calling, in the first half Ben had more time than Ive seen him have in a long time, still should have been dinking and dunking trying to move the ball, I thought he was looking to deep to throw especially on the second pick!

LatrobePA
12-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Tomlin, Dick, Bruce were all out coached badly, give props to Harbaugh and his crew they did an outstanding job, as did their players, see sucking for so long has paid off for them with some great 1st round picks!

Our team was just too badly beat up going into this game to hang, no big deal we are locked into the PO's, couple more games to play, I'd have to rest Ben and a few others. I can see Bmore losing away at Cinci, if not then so be it, we'll just roll with what we got!

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-20-2011, 08:43 AM
A healthy team, field goal kicker and serious intelligent play calling could easily have won this. SF defense was only a factor because of Ben and few key players not being in the mix last night. Frankly the coaching staff had their heads in the sand (read up their a..) and refused to act according to the situation at hand. I sure as hell ain't impressed with MT's game management last night. Not the worst performance I've ever seen with the Steelers but, it gets added to the list. My analysis is completely contrary to this morning's talking heads of course. What else is new? Eh. MOO.

StillinBaltimore
12-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Not gonna start bashing Tomlin yet... but his challenges are pretty bad. Not all the time but sometimes, Ben kinda squats on the field during situations trying to make plays. Like last night and at the half a couple weeks ago.

What I will say is this....

I work with a guy who worked with BA at Temple. My friend said that he was in over his head AT TEMPLE!

The only thing that I will fault Tomlin with is NOT FIRING BA AT THE END OF THIS SEASON!

steelersbabex25
12-20-2011, 10:56 AM
A healthy team, field goal kicker and serious intelligent play calling could easily have won this.

Yeah well...no $hit. A healthy team and intelligent play calling could have won every game we lost this season. Maybe with the exception of the second Ravens game (maybe), every other game we have lost this season we were significantly out coached. Not out played, out coached. That's annoying.

steelspikes
12-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Steeler Offense has been over-hyped all year. TV announcers are amazed at Wallace's speed and Arians' genius (sic).
Let's look at the record. Against top defenses this year: Batltimore, Houston, and San Fran, the awesome Steeler O is averaging an amazing 10 ****ing points per game!
Our defense is among the best when healthy. But 10 points per game ain't gonna get it done unless you get a defensive score.
Last night was pathetic; I am glad I turned off when score went to 20-3. Tomlin reportedly wanted to pull Ben, but Ben insisted he stay in. Who is coaching this team????

NYCsteelersfan
12-20-2011, 12:58 PM
The o'line sucks every year, not Tomlins fault. Bruce Arians has a job every year, not Tomlins fault. No back up Q.B.'s , not Tomlins fault. The kicker can't be trusted to kick a fieldgoal, not Tomlins fault. Roethlisberger is left in the game to long (risking injury), not Tomlins fault. Getting out coached every other week, not Tomlins fault. Mendenhall gets hit helmet to helmet at the goal line (Browns Game) and is left in the game, not Tomlins fault. Will it be his fault when the Steelers are so completly deplited that they go 4-12 ? I have been against Tomlin since day 1 and I believe I will be right in the end. I hope I am wrong.

:yellowthumb:

Yeah, I'll bet you have "lots of black friends too," right? So, let's see if I have this right. The Rooneys would knowingly hire someone who they knew was less qualified than another candidate they interviewed and in so doing, mortgage the future success of the franchise for YEARS just to prove a point and live up to a rule that carries their namesake? Not only are you a bigot, you're also a blithering idiot.

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 02:50 AM ---

I didn't say I had any black friends, now did I? And the reason I didn't say whether or not I have any black friends is because it has nothing to do with my opinion. They absolutely hired someone to coach the team who was less qualified to prove a point, and they haven't been the only team to do it.

The only blithering idiot is the person who doesn't know the difference between a bigot and a racist and just throws the words around when he can't take a dose of reality. Stop spending so much time getting offended on forums and go educate yourself.

Why the fukk didn't he ever draft someone better then? Cowher got outcoached PLENTY of times.

He didn't draft anyone better because he still managed to always finish with a good record despite the $hit quarterbacks that he had, so he never had high draft picks. When he finally ended up with a high first round pick after a rare losing season, we ended up with a pro-bowl quarterback.

I find it sad that this has turned into a bit of a debate on Coach Tomlin's race. The man has done some excellent things as our coach. My point is that there seem to be things that he struggles with and is unwilling or is unable to change and they are hurting this team.

The Rooney rule states that front offices HAVE TO interview black head coaches. The Rooneys own the Pittsburgh Steelers. Anyone who thinks that Whisenhunt and others out there weren't more qualified than Tomlin, then they are not being honest with themselves. Even Herm Edwards was more qualified than Tomlin. Tomlin was a nobody. It was a statement hiring, not one based on credentials. He won one Superbowl with Cowher's team. Once Cowher's personnel slowly fades away, we'll finally start losing more games like we should and then maybe we'll get a qualified head coach.

Dobre Shunka
12-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Clock management? OC questions? Injuries and who is playing and when? Head coaching questions? All Nonsense.

WHY WAS OUR FRANCHISE QB, OUR FUTURE, PERMITTED TO TAKE THE FIELD LAST NIGHT?
WHAT WAS GAINED? MORE TO THE POINT, WHAT COULD WE'VE LOST?

Classic case of risk reward management failure. They teach this stuff everywhere and I suggest we get our entire management team, not just coach, into the next class locally.

Two minutes to go in the game. The opposing D is keying on our franchise, literally, in a game we can no longer win. We have the playoffs coming and our 100 million dollar man is not stopped from gimping out onto the field? Unforgivable

steelers75
12-20-2011, 02:05 PM
The only blithering idiot is the person who doesn't know the difference between a bigot and a racist and just throws the words around when he can't take a dose of reality. Stop spending so much time getting offended on forums and go educate yourself.

Here's some "reality" for you. The notion of the Rooneys taking a candidate solely due to race and willingly mortgaging years of the team's future by doing so is beyond retarded. They stand to LOSE money if they field an inferior product, and the team already has one of the thinnest margins in the league. You're the one who needs educated, not me.

LatrobePA
12-20-2011, 02:08 PM
We lost gang, move on... The niners are a good team, we wern't...

steelers75
12-20-2011, 02:41 PM
He didn't draft anyone better because he still managed to always finish with a good record despite the $hit quarterbacks that he had, so he never had high draft picks. When he finally ended up with a high first round pick after a rare losing season, we ended up with a pro-bowl quarterback.

Yeah, his stubborn insistence of sticking by that pile of suck named Kordell Stewart as "his guy" to be the starting QB for FIVE YEARS (and pissing away most of Bettis' prime in the process) was absolute coaching brilliance. And it was Dan Rooney who stepped in and INSISTED he take Roethlisberger, because he was about about to take Shawn Andrews:

Imagine what might have occurred in the past decade had the Steelers drafted offensive lineman Shawn Andrews in the first round in 2004 instead of Ben Roethlisberger.

That was their intention, until Dan Rooney stepped in.

Rooney, in his 2007 autobiography, wrote that as the countdown to the 11th pick of the '04 draft continued "our people seemed to have focused on Shawn Andrews, a big offensive tackle from Arkansas as our likely number-one pick.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10038/1033856-66.stm

What would have happened? Simple. Another generation of 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust and perpetually falling short in AFC title games at home due to completely incompetent QB play would have been assured, and we'd be working on a 32-year championship drought at this point. And it would have largely been Cowher's fault for passing on Roethlisberger.

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 01:41 PM ---

Tomlin was a nobody.

So were Cowher and Noll. Still a ridiculously stupid argument. And now that Warner's retired, Whiz has really been tearing it up in Pittsburgh West, hasn't he? One fluke Super Bowl appearance and one other playoff appearance in arguably the shittiest division in the league is really noteworthy stuff. His "masterful" handling of the QB situation there since Warner hung them up is reminiscent of Cowher's handling (more like neglect) of the position in Pittsburgh. I also seriously doubt Bidwill is going to give him 14 years of rope like Cowher got to finally figure things the hell out.

JensK
12-20-2011, 02:46 PM

Pretty much this. Havn't watched the game until now as I had an exam at Uni today, and even though I'm pissed off out of my mind, we got beaten by a better team yesterday. I can't really fault the defense. Yes, they gave up a couple of touchdowns, but the offense gave them nothing to work with. Was it 5 turnovers or something like that? And yet they held them to 6 points until the end of 3rd quarter. That is pretty decent against a decent offense.

Ben was clearly not alright at all... The first 2 interceptions is all on that foot. Woodley appears to be out again with that hammy...

NYCsteelersfan
12-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Here's some "reality" for you. The notion of the Rooneys taking a candidate solely due to race and willingly mortgaging years of the team's future by doing so is beyond retarded. They stand to LOSE money if they field an inferior product, and the team already has one of the thinnest margins in the league. You're the one who needs educated, not me.

Still doesn't change the fact that you implied I'm a racist and then called me a bigot, clearly not understanding the difference between the two words.

I hope one day that idiots like you who loosely throw around words like racist and bigot will realize that you're the reason that when something racist actually occurs, others are able to claim that there is no racism, but rather there are only morons who are too stupid to make a reasonable argument and so they simply cry racism, and or they are so stupid that they actually perceive a non-racist situation as being racist.

They stood to possibly lose money if they hired you as the head coach and the Steelers went 0-16. They didn't automatically stand to lose money by hiring a guy like Tomlin, but that doesn't mean he was more qualified than other candidates because he wasn't. Steeler fans aren't fans that would stop going to games just because of a few mediocre seasons.

Yeah, his stubborn insistence of sticking by that pile of suck named Kordell Stewart as "his guy" to be the starting QB for FIVE YEARS (and pissing away most of Bettis' prime in the process) was absolute coaching brilliance. And it was Dan Rooney who stepped in and INSISTED he take Roethlisberger, because he was about about to take Shawn Andrews:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10038/1033856-66.stm

What would have happened? Simple. Another generation of 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust and perpetually falling short in AFC title games at home due to completely incompetent QB play would have been assured, and we'd be working on a 32-year championship drought at this point. And it would have largely been Cowher's fault for passing on Roethlisberger.

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 01:41 PM ---

So were Cowher and Noll. Still a ridiculously stupid argument. And now that Warner's retired, Whiz has really been tearing it up in Pittsburgh West, hasn't he? One fluke Super Bowl appearance and one other playoff appearance in arguably the shittiest division in the league is really noteworthy stuff. His "masterful" handling of the QB situation there since Warner hung them up is reminiscent of Cowher's handling (more like neglect) of the position in Pittsburgh. I also seriously doubt Bidwill is going to give him 14 years of rope like Cowher got to finally figure things the hell out.

What other option did he have other than Kordell? Didn't he take the team to the AFC Championship game with Kordell, only to lose to a nearly undefeated Broncos team? And didn't management let Kordell's best receiver (Thigpen) walk the following season?

Rooney can take his self-promoting garbage and stuff it up his senile a$$ as he serves his duties to Ireland while his team is run into the ground back home. Maybe instead of giving interviews about how "he stepped in" to supposedly make Cowher take Roethlisberger he should've been on the phone telling Goodel that he had no right suspending his quarterback who was not charged with any crimes, and that if he tried to suspend him, he would take all available action against the league. 31 other owners would've never let their star quarterback get suspended.

And to your final, and most idiotic statement, the simple fact is that Tomlin wouldn't win 5 games with the personnel that Whisenhunt has.

steelers75
12-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Still doesn't change the fact that you implied I'm a racist and then called me a bigot, clearly not understanding the difference between the two words.

I hope one day that idiots like you who loosely throw around words like racist and bigot will realize that you're the reason that when something racist actually occurs, others are able to claim that there is no racism, but rather there are only morons who are too stupid to make a reasonable argument and so they simply cry racism, and or they are so stupid that they actually perceive a non-racist situation as being racist.

Keep playing semantics all you want. Doesn't change the fact that your "Tomlin is a Token" argument is idiotic and completely fukking ignorant, along with being COMPLETELY off base.

Rooney can take his self-promoting garbage and stuff it up his senile a$$ as he serves his duties to Ireland while his team is run into the ground back home.

Old, senile ***? Rooney has forgotten more than we'll ever know combined about how to run a NFL team.

The team is being "run into the ground?" How so? Oh, I understand now. You're one of the many spoiled jackasses that have been ruined by this team's success and want to burn the damn house down if they don't win a Super Bowl every fukking year. "ZOMG! WE DI-ENT WIN DA SUPER BOWL! FIRE DA COACHES! DEY SUCK!"

Feel free to find another bandwagon, dipshit. I hear the Packers are taking applications.

And to your final, and most idiotic statement, the simple fact is that Tomlin wouldn't win 5 games with the personnel that Whisenhunt has.

Funny, because he went 5-11 last year. He's not doing **** with it either. Read up some, dumbass.

Rampage
12-20-2011, 04:31 PM
I have always been concerned with Tomlin. He has absolutely zero awareness when it comes to strategic clock management and the game plans he allows from his coordinators are usually questionable.

I don't look at him as a bad head coach, but I consider him to be more of a motivator of men than strategic mastermind.

steelers75
12-20-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't look at him as a bad head coach, but I consider him to be more of a motivator of men than strategic mastermind.

See: William Laird Cowher. (This is for that idiot bigot I responded to earlier's benefit).

UKSTEELER
12-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Tomlin is learning on the job and he appears to be a slow learner!

He's far too lightweight and needs to man up and start making some decisions.

He's handicapped by a QB that tries to hard without engaging his brain, a QB that rates BA???? Handicapped by BA a co-ordinator with a hidden agenda and shallow gameplans!

He's handicapped by Dick and his band of over the hill favourites that he is too scared to question.

Mike is even doing a pretty poor job of things he can influence, challenges, clock management et al.

He seems to have very little presence on the sideline, compared to Cowher!!

Needs to man up, not beyond him, getting rid of BA is vital - otherwise all this offensive talent is going to be worth ****!!:rant2:

steelers75
12-20-2011, 04:41 PM

Give me a goddamned break. If there was any coach who hurt the team with "indecision," it was Cowher. Namely the Oakland debacle in 2006 when he started Ben after sustaining a concussion a week before, let him play the whole game even though he was even MORE of a pick machine than he was last night, and ROUTINELY let "his guys" continue to start while younger and BETTER players rotted on the bench.

Cowher was a good coach. He wasn't all that. He certainly isn't deserving of the demigod status many of the Nation give him.

UKSTEELER
12-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Give me a goddamned break. If there was any coach who hurt the team with "indecision," it was Cowher. Namely the Oakland debacle in 2006 when he started Ben after sustaining a concussion a week before, let him play the whole game even though he was even MORE of a pick machine than he was last night, and ROUTINELY let "his guys" continue to start while younger and BETTER players rotted on the bench.

Cowher was a good coach. He wasn't all that. He certainly isn't deserving of the demigod status many of the Nation give him.

I was merely pointing out Bill's high octane sideline demeanor, not his coaching ability!

As you pointed out he was far from perfect, but at least he looked like he cared!

steelers75
12-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I was merely pointing out Bill's high octane sideline demeanor, not his coaching ability!

As you pointed out he was far from perfect, but at least he looked like he cared!

You must've loved Chuck Noll, then. He was about as deadpan as it got. And he could coach circles around Cowher and Tomlin put together. The fire and spittle stuff isn't what won ball games.

UKSTEELER
12-20-2011, 05:09 PM
My quibble withMikes sideline presence is minor compared to his actual coaching qualities. Hope is not lost - he just needs to step up, these mistakes are beginning to irritate.

Clevelandsux
12-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Hey I'm white and I think Bruce Arians sucks. My issues with Tomlin are "why do we still have Arians"?, Why can't he address the offensive line? Its been bad for 5 years! Poor clock management and wasted timeouts. Reviewing bad challenges and ignoring good ones.

NYCsteelersfan
12-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Keep playing semantics all you want. Doesn't change the fact that your "Tomlin is a Token" argument is idiotic and completely fukking ignorant, along with being COMPLETELY off base.

Hey Coach Omar Epps, stop joining forums just to pull the race card in a desperate attempt to deter negative opinions away from your absolutely pathetic coaching abilities. Shut the f#%K up, sign off the forum, and go prepare for the playoffs like you prepared so well for other games against competitive teams like the 49ers and Baltimore. You were definitely hired because of your race, but now at least try to take advantage of the opportunity before you end up like Herm Edwards. And stop being a f#%ing moron who thinks that the words bigot and racist can be used interchangeably.

DIESELMAN
12-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Hey guys, take a deep breath and relax. We are all here to debate any issue we want to but let's do it without all the name calling.

NYCsteelersfan
12-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Hey guys, take a deep breath and relax. We are all here to debate any issue we want to but let's do it without all the name calling.

I apologize. I stated my honest opinion (Tomlin was hired as a statement by the Rooneys because of the rule that is named after them). That is how I feel, and how I've always felt. Someone joined the forum just to call me a bigot in response to my opinion, after first implying that I'm a racist. Troy Polamalu is my favorite player, so maybe I'm a Samoan who feels Samoans are superior to all other races?

Once again, I apologize for reducing myself to name-calling. I won't engage with him anymore.

steelers75
12-20-2011, 10:03 PM

I apologize as well. :tophat:

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 09:03 PM ---

I apologize. I stated my honest opinion (Tomlin was hired as a statement by the Rooneys because of the rule that is named after them). That is how I feel, and how I've always felt. Someone joined the forum just to call me a bigot in response to my opinion, after first implying that I'm a racist. Troy Polamalu is my favorite player, so maybe I'm a Samoan who feels Samoans are superior to all other races?

Once again, I apologize for reducing myself to name-calling. I won't engage with him anymore.

My apologies. You're entitled to your opinion. Happy holidays. :tophat:

LevonKirkland99
12-20-2011, 10:39 PM

Are you saying Tomlin is an average Coach? I guess you know better than the Roonies then. How about making a change at the Defensive coordinator where you've got someone that the whole Freakin league has figured out. Let go Dick Lebeau or make a transition to a successor on Defense.

Tomlin should've put his foot down and told Ben that he was not going to play. I konw its a sin to talk bad about Ben.

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 09:27 PM ---

I have always been concerned with Tomlin. He has absolutely zero awareness when it comes to strategic clock management and the game plans he allows from his coordinators are usually questionable.

I agree, he needs to get his act together, and I LOVE Tomlin, believe me. I am just frustrated with the loss as many people here. To bring the race card to this discussion is something a true Steeler fan should never ever do. This is NOT New york, its Pittsburgh.

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 09:33 PM ---

Not gonna start bashing Tomlin yet... but his challenges are pretty bad. Not all the time but sometimes, Ben kinda squats on the field during situations trying to make plays. Like last night and at the half a couple weeks ago.

What I will say is this....

I work with a guy who worked with BA at Temple. My friend said that he was in over his head AT TEMPLE!

The only thing that I will fault Tomlin with is NOT FIRING BA AT THE END OF THIS SEASON!

Tomlin needs to fire BA after the season is over!!!! I am talking out of frustration, but this needs to be done so we can see if Ben can learn any new tricks!

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 09:39 PM ---

Tomlin is learning on the job and he appears to be a slow learner!

He's far too lightweight and needs to man up and start making some decisions.

He's handicapped by a QB that tries to hard without engaging his brain, a QB that rates BA???? Handicapped by BA a co-ordinator with a hidden agenda and shallow gameplans!

He's handicapped by Dick and his band of over the hill favourites that he is too scared to question.

Mike is even doing a pretty poor job of things he can influence, challenges, clock management et al.

Needs to man up, not beyond him, getting rid of BA is vital - otherwise all this offensive talent is going to be worth ****!!:rant2:

I actually went back and read this whole thread... THIS IS THE BEST responce I've read in this pathetic thread.. Thank you!

JoeSteelerFan
12-20-2011, 11:12 PM

Great post. I've said all along that Tomlin is simply an articulate "coach speak" motivator at best. He's not very skilled in the art of X's and O's type of coaching.

I like the fact that Tomlin is always accountable for mistakes during his pressers, but what I would REALLY like is fewer mistakes to have to be accountable for.

elephantman
12-20-2011, 11:16 PM

^ wow brilliant.....so I must agree Tomlin shouldn't be fired for losing to a top 3 team on the road without pro bowl Center, LB , Woodley 1/2 strength, and injured QB ....those are BIG injuries....and think How many teams wish they had our problems

On Cowher, i wonder how he would have done with (a) Big Ben coming out of college in 1992....???? Cowher never had a QB and won a lot of games immedietely after a decade of mediocrity...

The Rooneys have done a great job..

NYCsteelersfan
12-21-2011, 02:16 AM
I apologize as well. :tophat:

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 09:03 PM ---

My apologies. You're entitled to your opinion. Happy holidays. :tophat:

I accept your apology and I apologize for name-calling.

Are you saying Tomlin is an average Coach? I guess you know better than the Roonies then. How about making a change at the Defensive coordinator where you've got someone that the whole Freakin league has figured out. Let go Dick Lebeau or make a transition to a successor on Defense.

Tomlin should've put his foot down and told Ben that he was not going to play. I konw its a sin to talk bad about Ben.

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 09:27 PM ---

I agree, he needs to get his act together, and I LOVE Tomlin, believe me. I am just frustrated with the loss as many people here. To bring the race card to this discussion is something a true Steeler fan should never ever do. This is NOT New york, its Pittsburgh.

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 09:33 PM ---

Tomlin needs to fire BA after the season is over!!!! I am talking out of frustration, but this needs to be done so we can see if Ben can learn any new tricks!

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 09:39 PM ---

I actually went back and read this whole thread... THIS IS THE BEST responce I've read in this pathetic thread.. Thank you!

There have been plenty of good, black head coaches in the league, Tomlin is not one of them, not because he is black, but because he's not a good head coach. Once again, I feel him being black is why he was hired and anyone who understands the Rooney Rule would understand that the latter opinion is not based on personal experiences and or feelings, but it is based on what the rule explicitly states and the fact that there were other head coaches who were more qualified than Tomlin at the time of the hiring.

As others have stated, the team has won in spite of him, which is a rare feat in football. Harrison on one play, and Roethlisberger and Holmes on one drive won the Superbowl, in spite of Tomlin.

The Steelers defense is 1st in the league in YPG, 1st in the league in passing YPG, and 6th in the league in rushing YPG. Complaining about Lebeau and or the Steelers defense is simply ridiculous.

connecticutsteel
12-21-2011, 03:30 AM
First of all bad coaches don't win super bowls weather they inherited a team or not Tomlin is the least of the problems. what lost the 49er game was lack of a competant back up QB which is Colbert's fault. plus the 3 int's and 1 fumble didn't help . There are a lot worse coachs in the league than Tomlin

MattyVfromCT
12-21-2011, 06:06 AM
First of all bad coaches don't win super bowls weather they inherited a team or not Tomlin is the least of the problems. what lost the 49er game was lack of a competant back up QB which is Colbert's fault. plus the 3 int's and 1 fumble didn't help . There are a lot worse coachs in the league than Tomlin

I am by no means saying tomlin is a bad coach. Good coach but not a great coach. But there have been bad coaches to win super bowls before. Barry effing switzer. Inherited one of the best teams of all time and had a bearded moron give them 2 gift int's. Other than that game which he did nothing to win, he took a great team and drove it into the ground

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

connecticutsteel
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I am by no means saying tomlin is a bad coach. Good coach but not a great coach. But there have been bad coaches to win super bowls before. Barry effing switzer. Inherited one of the best teams of all time and had a bearded moron give them 2 gift int's. Other than that game which he did nothing to win, he took a great team and drove it into the ground

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

did switzer have johnnnnnsons staff?

StillersSound
12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Retweet from Marcus Gilbert

Wow! What a play call by Doc Holliday and Marshall!!!

I don't know if you guys saw the game but Marshall was up 3 at the other teams 40 with like 40 seconds left.. 4th and 5 and they go for it and score and seal the game.

Remind anybody else of another game? Or somebodies game style? :thinking:

coldrolled
12-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Tomlin has to be tired of arians making him look average. it bye bye time ba..