PDA

View Full Version : The #1 seed is within reach for the the Steelers now

BlitzburghRockCity
12-18-2011, 11:52 PM
The Steelers are in the playoffs by virtue of the outcomes of key games on Sunday. Now though, a bigger prize in fully within their grasp.

Since the Chargers beat the Ravens tonight, the Steelers can control their own destiny by winning out their last 3 games and taking over the #1 seed in the playoffs. Heading into this weekends games both Pittsburgh and Baltimore were tied at 10-3 but the Ravens of course holding the tie breaker edge should both teams finish with the same record.

If the Steelers can pull out a win on Monday night in San Francisco they will be in complete control of the AFC and have the ability to get the #1 seed in the conference heading into the postseason. You just never know what can happen in the NFL on any given Sunday.

First things first though, we will find out on Monday if Ben Roethlisberger will play and then we'll look for the Steelers to hopefully take care of business. They have the opportunity, now it's time to see how bad they want it.

The Steelers clinched a playoff berth (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20into%20playoffs%20after%20Colts%20top%2 0Titans%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772672.html#ixzz1gwwRkqHv) today without ever taking the field.
When the Tennessee Titans were upset by the previously winless Indianapolis Colts, the idle Steelers (10-3) officially earned at least a wild-card berth in the AFC. The division rival Baltimore Ravens also clinched at least a wild-card berth when Oakland lost to Detroit.

The New England Patriots (11-3) clinched the AFC East title with a win over Denver. The Houston Texans (10-4) had clinched the AFC South title a week earlier.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Ben is playing...time to suck it up and take control of the AFC...Its there for our taking......I mean come on......I rather the 1st seed then the 5th seed...lol

Real Deal Steel
12-18-2011, 11:55 PM
We've got to go all out and win the 49er game. Then, we can possibly think about resting Ben for the Rams game. Maybe.

But we need to do whatever we have to do to win the 49er game.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-18-2011, 11:56 PM
I think Ben should start the Rams game also...If the game gets out of hand quick then pull him.....

Real Deal Steel
12-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Ben has to start. Our defense matches up so well against the 49ers that we can win this game with a couple of TD's and an couple of field goals.

So it would behoove us to start Ben, get the 49ers in catch up mode and that will make Smith throw us a lot of interceptions.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Ben has to start. Our defense matches up so well against the 49ers that we can win this game with a couple of TD's and an couple of field goals.

So it would behoove us to start Ben, get the 49ers in catch up mode and that will make Smith throw us a lot of interceptions.

Ben starts the 49er game for sure but I'm saying he starts the Rams game to......If the Rams game gets out of hand quick then you pull Ben....

Real Deal Steel
12-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Your right. We need to at least start him against the Rams. Dominate them quickly, and then get Ben to the bench pronto.

steelersbabex25
12-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Chargers just gave the Steelers an early Christmas present tonight. The Steelers have to take care of business in San Fran tomorrow, needless to say.

SteelerRush
12-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Steelers start Ben tomorrow hopefully jump out to a big lead then pull him in the fourth quarter and get Batch some reps. Batch looked bad last week when he had to come in for Big Ben. Ben rests all week and starts against the Rams and follow the same routine then maybe we can rest him for the Browns game.:clap::yellowthumb:

Scorp
12-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Ben is playing...time to suck it up and take control of the AFC...Its there for our taking......I mean come on......I rather the 1st seed then the 5th seed...lol

Ben said he wants one more championship than Terry Bradshaw. I think he's going to have to suck it up or play very carefully or both. I'm just glad the packers and ravens lost. Steelers will get #1 seed. They just have to get by the fairy9ers then the rams should be a cakewalk and finally the browns.....nuff said there. See you in the divisional playoffs. :cope:

LatrobePA
12-19-2011, 12:45 AM
With the right game plan and Dixon to spell Ben a bit this game can be won no doubt..

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-19-2011, 02:17 AM
We have to just take it one game at a time now !! We have been in playoff mode since the second loss to Balt. and need to continue playing with that intensity for the rest of the season. The win by the bolts don't mean $hit unless we can win out !!
If Ben can play you start him no matter who we are playing, we don't have the luxury of taking it easy until the season is finished!!

Steel Trap86
12-19-2011, 02:51 AM

This

The Steelers will seize the opportunity, I expect nothing less then a huge *** whipping tomorrow night in San Francisco. Expect them to win out as of today and reak havoc among the Harbaugh family lol

Also rooting Wallace to have a massive game and solidify advancement to my fantasy finals!!!!!!!!! :cope:

LevonKirkland99
12-19-2011, 03:07 AM
This is going to be the game where the Steelers have to step up on national TV and show what they've got. Wow, we win and we're the first SEED, theoretically, with two games left on the schedule.

Tomlin needs to put a heck of a game plan!!! Let's do this...

StillersSound
12-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Tomlin needs to put a heck of a game plan!!! Let's do this...

Yup, I'm excited to see what they come with. They obviously have to come out and treat it like a playoff game with a good game plan like the Patriots and last Bengals game. If Ben can go, he has to play now.

:cope:

steelersbabex25
12-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Steelers have to be fired up for this game, but then again the 49ers are probably firebug for this game too. They also have a chance (though it's slim) to be the 1 seed in the NFC with the Packers losing yesterday. The Steelers have to want it more.

tburg68
12-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Ben can rest during the bye week.

SteelDad
12-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Let's remember this game is now equally as huge for SF as they are looking for a bye in the playoffs as well. This will be a war of attrition and I hope we have enough bodies!

Troyisabeast_43
12-19-2011, 09:39 AM
I didnt get my chance to write my playoff scenario thread yet but yes we all knew the Rats would slip at some point and the Steelers would have a chance to take back control of their own destiny and win the division and get the homefield throughout. That Texans loss to Carolina yesterday was huge as well seeing that it now knocks out the 3 way tie between the Pats,Texans and Steelers should they all have finished 13-3 and won out. The Steelers still would have gotten the bye week and would have lost the SOV tiebraker to both but that is irrelevant now. Gotta get it done tonight fellas homefield throughout is on the line...

LatrobePA
12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
John to Jim: Come on dude the refs screwed us, we need you guys to win!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Let's remember this game is now equally as huge for SF as they are looking for a bye in the playoffs as well. This will be a war of attrition and I hope we have enough bodies!

I look for this to be a slug fest tonight, a low scoring game where turnovers and big returns on special teams will play a huge role.

I agree the 49ers have a ton to play for as well, this is the kind of game you love to see on primetime and watch as a fan. How bad do you want it?!! We'll find out!

coldrolled
12-19-2011, 02:15 PM
John to Jim: Come on dude the refs screwed us, we need you guys to win!

Smith vs Big Ben? Smith has won what in the finally stretch lately?

This is as close to a playoff game for him as any game he has played.

Glad we have the Post Season Vets. :cope::cope::cope:

If we keep are cool. We will destroy them. :yellowthumb:

Troyisabeast_43
12-19-2011, 03:21 PM
If the Steelers can get up early in this game like 10 or 14-0 they will be able to take Gore out of the game and put the game on the shoulders of Alex Smith...

igor0190
12-19-2011, 03:27 PM
If the Steelers can get up early in this game like 10 or 14-0 they will be able to take Gore out of the game and put the game on the shoulders of Alex Smith...

SF's receivers shouldn't scare anyone...
Blitz enough so that they have to keep Vernon Davis in to block. Ike should be able to shut down crabtree no problem, leaving them with... Umm yeah, nothing.

Goodfrom55
12-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Don't overlook specials. . .Ginn can be a game changer in a heartbeat and Akers can still make sonme clutch kicks.

elephantman
12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Don't overlook specials. . .Ginn can be a game changer in a heartbeat and Akers can still make sonme clutch kicks.

If we lose 2nite...well then neither the steelers nor the Ravens are "the class of the AFC"...as the analysts will say.....it goes to the...EFF"N Pats....their is NO other team I despise more than the pats...and yes this list includes the ravens...The road to SB gos through Foxborough.....and I dont wanna play there in Jan......I am from N.E. and hate brady/bellichek...

we need to win this game tonight soo soo bad

Steelers/PSU Fan
12-19-2011, 07:17 PM
If we lose 2nite...well then neither the steelers nor the Ravens are "the class of the AFC"...as the analysts will say.....it goes to the...EFF"N Pats....their is NO other team I despise more than the pats...and yes this list includes the ravens...The road to SB gos through Foxborough.....and I dont wanna play there in Jan......I am from N.E. and hate brady/bellichek...

we need to win this game tonight soo soo bad

It's not fair the Pats have such an easy schedule, but I guess nobody predicted the 49ers to be a good team this season after last years 6 win season. Just got unlucky to catch them in a good year and of course we play them when Ben is hobbled and Harrison is suspended.....bad timing.

coldrolled
12-19-2011, 07:48 PM
It's not fair the Pats have such an easy schedule, but I guess nobody predicted the 49ers to be a good team this season after last years 6 win season. Just got unlucky to catch them in a good year and of course we play them when Ben is hobbled and Harrison is suspended.....bad timing.

The pats and the 49ers have had an easy schedule.

like the old days when the 49ers would be 6-0 every year in their division games, with most of their division sitting at 1-13 all the time... basically 6 practice games a year to keep tuned up for the SB's...

coach
12-19-2011, 08:13 PM

LatrobePA John to Jim: Come on dude the refs screwed us, we need you guys to win!

You guys are both right. I think the SF players know their coach will be killed at christmas dinner if he allows the Steelers to take the division right out of the hands of a Harbaugh. I think they'll be extra pumped tonight. Both teams have injuries and we had to travel 3 time zones. Tough game.

LevonKirkland99
12-19-2011, 08:50 PM
The Raven fans here are wishing for us to loose, as usual. Well, that's expected but they're fixated on this game. They keep saying,"well if the Steelers loose, then we're back to where we were before..."

Let's win this one so they don't get any sleep tonight :)

Real Deal Steel
12-19-2011, 11:14 PM
The only way we get any TD's tonight is from defense or special teams.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Ummmm, well....., not so much now.. we're back to how things were 24 hours ago..

Stairwayto7
12-20-2011, 01:30 AM
Ummmm, well....., not so much now.. we're back to how things were 24 hours ago..

not so sure were as well off as we were 24 hours ago. Terrible:eek1: