PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey Out, Sanders Out, Ben & others Questionable.....

DIESELMAN
12-17-2011, 02:51 PM
While there's a 50 percent chance Roethelisberger will be in the lineup despite a high ankle sprain, center Maurkice Pouncey (ankle sprain) is among three players who will sit out a game in which the Steelers (10-3) can clinch a playoff spot with a victory at Candlestick Park. Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and outside linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring) will sit.

Safety Troy Polamalu has been limited in practice some by a sore hamstring and is listed as probable along with offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert. Gilbert, who was hospitalized on Thursday, is still recovering from an infection.

Also, wide receiver Arnaz Battle (hamstring) and cornerback Curtis Brown (knee) are questionable.

If Roethlisberger is unable to go, Batch will get the start. Coach Mike Tomlin could go with three quarterbacks if he activates Dennis Dixon.

"I haven't talked to anyone yet, but I would think I'll be activated," Dixon said. "I got a couple of reps, which is always good. I prepared myself as if I'm going to play every week. I'm looking forward to it if it happens."

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who missed last Thursday's 14-3 win over Cleveland after aggravating an already sore hamstring against Cincinnati, expects to play against the 49ers.

"I didn't feel anything with the hamstring," Woodley said. "I'm just worrying about us all being on the right page."

LatrobePA
12-17-2011, 02:55 PM
STEELERS' BIG BEN LIMITED AGAIN; POUNCEY RULED OUT VS. 49ERS
NFL.com
Published: December 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger took part in a limited portion of practice for the second straight day on Saturday and was officially listed as questionable for Monday night's game against the San Francisco 49ers , according to the team .

The Steelers ruled out linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring), center Maurkice Pouncey (ankle) and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) for the game. Safety Troy Polamalu (hamstring) took part in full practice Saturday after missing the previous two days and is listed as probable.

Roethlisberger has been nursing a sprained left ankle he injured last week against the Cleveland Browns . Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has maintained all week that Roethlisberger would need to practice at least once in order to play against the 49ers.

The fact Roethlisberger was able to practice on consecutive days is a good sign for the Steelers. If Roethlisberger can't go, 37-year-old Charlie Batch will start in his place.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE:
Facebook
Twitter

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Maurkice being out hurts big time. It hurts from a depth standpoint and from a continuity area as well. So that means Legursky will be back at Center, and Essex will be at LG. Fortunately Gilbert is going to be ok.

I think somebody needs to explain to Maurkice how high ankle sprains usually work. Everytime he gets one he says it's not as bad as the last one and says he'll play. I know that's him hoping he can go but realistically it's not going to happen.

connecticutsteel
12-17-2011, 03:15 PM
I think pouncey being out is worst cause we can't really run the ball well without him

LatrobePA
12-17-2011, 03:36 PM
You can't run on the niners as it is..

StlersGuy
12-17-2011, 04:13 PM
All I can say is we seem to play our best when we have everyone writing us off. Seems we turn it up so I look for us to go into SF and handle them however we will win it close 13-10

elephantman
12-17-2011, 04:19 PM
You can't run on the niners as it is..

U cant pass on them either with Batch running the show, and as little confidence I have in Dixon, we need him....and trust me he will get significant playing time if Ben doesnt play as Batch will be in panic mode from that 1st Legursky snap-fumble/snap.....

We Need serious D in this game...we (would) need some big time Pressure from Harrison and woodley..in other words, we are in for serious trouble on both sides of the ball

LatrobePA
12-17-2011, 04:37 PM
93 will be the silent LB'r to turn it up IMO. Their starting LT is iffy as well as their heart and soul on offense, Gore..

LevonKirkland99
12-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Maurkice being out hurts big time. It hurts from a depth standpoint and from a continuity area as well. So that means Legursky will be back at Center, and Essex will be at LG. Fortunately Gilbert is going to be ok.

I think somebody needs to explain to Maurkice how high ankle sprains usually work. Everytime he gets one he says it's not as bad as the last one and says he'll play. I know that's him hoping he can go but realistically it's not going to happen.

Pouncey is no Dermontti Dawson...such a china doll who keeps getting hurt, remember last year before the SB. Time to move on as people...

SteelerRush
12-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Wow! Pouncy is a stud when healthy remember Timmons was hurt a lot early in his career, now his been the most durable LB we have. Pouncy just in his second year and we talk about we cant play without him. I have faith in Legursky i am more concerned with Essex.

DIESELMAN
12-17-2011, 10:00 PM
China doll? In a few weeks, he'll be injury prone, in another year he'll be a fat and worthless pos? Wow!! Has anyone here ever had a high ankle sprain? Grade I? How bout a grade III? There's a big, big difference between a high ankle sprain and a sprained ankle, 2 totally different animals. I can see if Pouncey is constantly getting hurt and missing all kinds of games, then you can call him a china doll or injury prone. He has been one of the few constants and bright spots on a otherwise mediocre OL.

Mike Tomlin
12-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I think pouncey being out is worst cause we can't really run the ball well without him
We ran the ball pretty well when we came out from halftime after Pouncey left. The only rerason that game wasn't a blow out is that everytime we got in scoring position we fumbled or Kemo had a penalty.

LevonKirkland99
12-17-2011, 10:35 PM
China doll? In a few weeks, he'll be injury prone, in another year he'll be a fat and worthless pos? Wow!! Has anyone here ever had a high ankle sprain? Grade I? How bout a grade III? There's a big, big difference between a high ankle sprain and a sprained ankle, 2 totally different animals. I can see if Pouncey is constantly getting hurt and missing all kinds of games, then you can call him a china doll or injury prone. He has been one of the few constants and bright spots on a otherwise mediocre OL.

I'm sure you know more football than me Dieselman, but I am just saying the jury is still out on Pouncey...seems like he gets hurt at the worst possible moment in the schedule.

Tomlin should've addressed the OL problem a couple years ago as far as I'm concerned.

steelchamp204
12-18-2011, 12:25 AM
It is true about Pouncey. It always seems hes hurt more often than not. I hope he can stay healthy in the future. Just saying. Hes not a china doll, but damn man, he cant catch a break

LatrobePA
12-18-2011, 12:55 AM
The jury is in for me and he's bad freaking ***, a little banged up but he's a beast!

DIESELMAN
12-18-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm sure you know more football than me Dieselman, but I am just saying the jury is still out on Pouncey...seems like he gets hurt at the worst possible moment in the schedule.

Tomlin should've addressed the OL problem a couple years ago as far as I'm concerned.

No more then the next guy bro.....
Yeah his timing sucks, call it dumb luck, I just don't feel like rushing to any conclusions on him by putting a label on him. He's a 2nd year professional athlete, with a lot of heart, desire and skills. He's a competitor beyond anyone's imagination, just a few weeks ago, he had a pretty bad stomach virus that caused him to lose 12 lbs, can you imagine how bad he was feeling? Yet he made it through 18-20 offensive plays before being pulled, lots of guts to do that.

nuclearchihuahuas
12-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Pouncey out is really bad for us. The SF D is good. I dont see us running well (not that we do any way) which will put more pressure on the passing game. I bet (if the Rats win tonight and the Steelers clinch a playoff spot through the loss of one of the many teams that would make that happen), that Ben doesn't take the field because it wont make that much difference.

K Train
12-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Pouncey is no Dermontti Dawson...such a china doll who keeps getting hurt, remember last year before the SB. Time to move on as people...

insanity

LevonKirkland99
12-18-2011, 05:37 PM
To clarify, I am not hating on the guy...just noticed he gets hurt more frequently in his first two years.

Insanity? hardly, well I want him to be the best center ever. maybe he'll be as good as Dawson :)

elephantman
12-18-2011, 05:58 PM
insanity

pouncey gets injured before the SB... lets cut him...he's a loser :)

LevonKirkland99
12-18-2011, 06:02 PM
pouncey gets injured before the SB... lets cut him...he's a loser :)

No one said he is a loser, certainly not me...

DIESELMAN
12-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Updating a previous report, Pittsburgh Steelers OT Marcus Gilbert (illness) and S Troy Polamalu (hamstring) fully participated in practice Saturday, Dec. 17.

LatrobePA
12-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Updating a previous report, Pittsburgh Steelers OT Marcus Gilbert (illness) and S Troy Polamalu (hamstring) fully participated in practice Saturday, Dec. 17.

Good news..

BlitzburghRockCity
12-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Technically Ben is still listed as Questionable for the game but he is expected to start according to team sources on Sunday night.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%27%20Roethlisberger%20still%20questionabl e%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772620.html#ixzz1gwx4vWUS) didn't favor his injured left ankle as much during Saturday's practice as he did earlier this week. However, he is listed as questionable for Monday night's game at San Francisco.

While there's a 50 percent chance Roethlisberger will be in the lineup despite a high ankle sprain, center Maurkice Pouncey (ankle sprain) is among three players who will sit out a game in which the Steelers can clinch a playoff spot with a victory at Candlestick Park.

In addition, wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and outside linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring) will sit. Sanders will miss his fourth game in six weeks, while Carter is out for the third straight week.

Safety Troy Polamalu has been slowed some by a sore hamstring and is listed as probable along with offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert. Gilbert, who was hospitalized Thursday, is still recovering from an infection.

Also, wide receiver Arnaz Battle (hamstring) and cornerback Curtis Brown (knee) are questionable. If Roethlisberger is unable to go, Batch will get the start. Coach Mike Tomlin could go with three quarterbacks if he activates Dennis Dixon.
"I haven't talked to anyone yet, but I would think I'll be activated," Dixon said. "I got a couple of reps, which is always good. I prepared myself as if I'm going to play every week."

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who missed last Thursday's 14-3 win over Cleveland after aggravating an already sore hamstring against Cincinnati, expects to play against the 49ers.

"I didn't feel anything with the hamstring," Woodley said. "I'm just worrying about us all being on the right page."
With the Ravens losing tonight, I'm sure the adrenaline is starting to flow even more for Ben and the rest of the injured players.

Real Deal Steel
12-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Knowing the team the way we do, I"m positive that their smelling blood and will come out focused for the 49ers. I have a feeling that the defense is going to be super reved up!!

steelspikes
12-19-2011, 08:06 AM
If Ben aggravates ankle tonight, Steelers could probably win remaining 2 regular season games without him, and he'd have over 3 weeks to recover given a first round bye.Both Browns & Rams now using backup QBs. Importance of tonight's game hard to over-exaggerate. Defense has to have a big night; think they will.

tburg68
12-19-2011, 11:25 AM
The most important player the Steelers need on the field this week, and every week is Ben, Period.

Patrick Willis is expected to miss the game, this will soften the blow over the loss of Pouncey.