PDA

View Full Version : Woodley ready for a full workload?

DIESELMAN
12-16-2011, 11:58 PM
LaMarr Woodley (Robbins/Getty Images)
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Dec 16, 2011

| More

James Harrison's appeal was denied Friday, so the Steelers really need a healthy LaMarr Woodley, who spoke only to SCI.net's Jim Wexell about it after Friday's practice.

PITTSBURGH – Don’t suggest to LaMarr Woodley that he looks less than 100 percent.
One reporter – who’s very familiar with this story – actually had the nerve to suggest just that to Woodley after he finished practicing with the Steelers on Friday.

“Why would you suggest that?” Woodley asked sharply.

Because Woodley appeared tentative and never went all out.

“Well nobody’s going all out,” he said. “It’s cold out there.”

Woodley will finish a full week of practice on Saturday and hopes to play a complete game Monday night in San Francisco for the first time since he went down in a heap with a hamstring injury on Oct. 30.

At that point, Woodley was on a roll and was making a beeline for Tom Brady and sack No. 8.5 in four games when he went down.

Woodley didn’t get the sack, of course, and has been sitting with a team-high of 9 sacks ever since.

After the New England game, Woodley didn’t practice until Nov. 30 in preparation for the Dec. 4 game against the Cincinnati Bengals. He started that game, but managed only a handful of snap before leaving. He hadn’t been back on the field until this week.

“I feel pretty good,” Woodley said Friday, before repeating, “I feel pretty good.”

Better than he did going into that Cincinnati game?

“Yeah, I feel twice as better as I did going into that game. But it just got a little tight (against Cincinnati). It was nothing bad. I was just being smart about the situation, coming out, and then it went away.”

With James Harrison’s appeal of a one-game suspension having been denied by Ted Cottrell on Friday, and reserve Chris Carter unlikely to play because of his hamstring injury, the Steelers are thin at outside linebacker. The only reserves behind Woodley and Jason Worilds are inside linebackers Lawrence Timmons (a starter) and Mortty Ivy, who was signed from the practice squad for the Cincinnati game and hasn’t taken a defensive snap in the NFL.

With such little depth, it appears Woodley must play a bulk of the snaps Monday night.

“That’s the game plan,” Woodley said. “I’ve been out there practicing all week, and I’m feeling good.”

It’s just that he doesn’t look it.

NOTES – Woodley was feeling good in one regard: He filled up Carter’s car with popcorn and put a sign in the windshield that read, “This is what I get for not listening to Woodley.” Carter, a rookie, said it was all in fun. ... Carter, Troy Polamalu (hamstring), Maurkice Pouncey (ankle) and Emmanuel Sanders (foot) missed Friday’s practice. Ben Roethlisberger (ankle) was listed as having limited participation. ... Marcus Gilbert was back at right tackle after missing the previous day with an illness. Hopefully Woodley will play Monday night and not have any setbacks. SF has given up 18 sacks in the past 3 games, 9 sacks to Baltimore on thanksgiving. Our D could/hopefully be in for a big night with rumors floating around that Staley might not play because of a concussion against Arizona.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2011, 02:01 AM
It's good that he says he's feeling good because this team needs him. Timmons filled in ok at OLB but he wasn't that force you need on the pass rush to really get constant pressure. The less things can change the better if they can help it.

I'm glad that Worilds has been able to pick up his game this season since he's been back, that helps in a big way. He's no Harrison or Woodley but he's got some skills and has shown he's got a nose for the QB.

Steelers/PSU Fan
12-17-2011, 02:16 AM
I hope Woodley plays and has a big game, gonna need him too with no Harrison and a hobbled Big Ben. Our run game is **** and 49ers have been one of the best against that anyways, so gonna need receivers to have a huge day.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2011, 11:54 AM
The one thing we can't afford to have happen is that Woodley starts and then can't finish the game. It's a short week this week because the Steelers play at home on Christmas eve against the Rams. Granted not exactly a playoff matchup but any more setbacks will run into the post season.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2011, 12:53 PM
we can't put these guys in a plastic bubble and hope they don't get hurt....If they're cleared to play then they play....If any set backs happen well that is the nature of the beast......Woodley has to get some reps before the play-offs or he will be rusty and will have to work himself back into game shape during a play-off game.....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-19-2011, 11:28 AM
It's on tonight like donkey kong! With the situation being what it is, everybody get on field and give it all you got. This is your last realistic chance to take over the division lead and control your own destiny to get that coveted home field advantage.

Woodley said the hamstring feels fine, hasn't had any issues this week in practice. Being out in San Francisco tonight you won't have the sub freezing temps, which will help him to keep that hamstring from tightening up.

LatrobePA
12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Worilds will have a big game...