PDA

View Full Version : If you were Tomlin, would you start Big Ben?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Tomlin said in his press conference earlier this week, when asked if he would sit Ben if the Ravens won, "if he can play he'll play, I don't play that game".

Maybe he does end up playing that game after all. He can justify the the ultimate decision on Ben's health but in the back of his mind I'm sure he's talked about it with the coaches on if the Ravens win, do they bother playing Ben on Monday night?

Ultimately I think they will simply because anything can still happen with 2 weeks left so essentially "giving up" is not an option IMO.

Mike Tomlin has another (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11350/1197215-66-0.stm#ixzz1ghgL2bsB) one of those decisions that fall only in the lap of a head coach -- whether to play quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Monday night in San Francisco.
Roethlisberger said he will do everything he can to play and, indeed, his left ankle temporarily was put in a cast Thursday. The cast was then removed, and it will be used as a mold for a New Jersey company to make a plastic brace.

He would wear the brace in practice and, the Steelers hope, in the game against the 49ers.

Tomlin's decision is threefold: a. Will Roethlisberger be able to perform well enough to help his team? b. Can he move on his feet well enough to protect himself by warding off a potential killer hit? c. Does he risk making the injury worse by playing?
"I don't know if it's my decision," Roethlisberger said. "I'm going to do everything I can to be out there. It's probably more on them. So, if I'm not out there, it's probably because they didn't feel comfortable with me being out there, protecting myself or whatever it is.

"They know better than I do. I can just tell them whether I think I can go or not, and I think I can go all the time. I'm going to do everything I can to be out there for this team."

papabaier
12-16-2011, 09:44 AM
If Ravens beat SD, I would not let BEn play. I think we can still win the game with Batch. Ben is the key for a deep run - on the road at that.
:crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Tomlin said earlier in the week that he wants Ben to practice at least a little bit before the game on Monday.

For once I actually agree with Bruce Arians though when he was asked. It's not like we're in week 1 here, Ben has played in 16 games already including the preseason. The gameplan doesn't change, he knows what he's doing. If he can't practice until the warmups before the game but at that point he's looking ok, then play him.

tburg68
12-16-2011, 10:35 AM
If Ben is medically cleared, Ben plays.

SteelCurtain1974
12-16-2011, 11:00 AM
This is a debate that is even going among the Steelers groups on FB. I am really up in the air about this. Two sides of this, either, one Rest Ben which is what I do for the long playoff run and keep him fresh and healthy, or two, play him to keep the momentum and flow going. It is really a hard choice.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2011, 11:27 AM
How can anybody trust old man Charlie at this point?....Batch is old and done....I rather see Dixon then Batch since Dixon can at least make plays with his feet.......Its a tough decision for Tomlin but if the doctors clear Ben and if he practices before the game then Ben should play.......

TampaSteelGirl
12-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Im torn as well...what if Ben gets hurts even more...what if his sprain turns into a break. You know the Niners D is gonna gun for him and take him out...Charlie is fragile and not sure Dixon has what it takes...can Hines backup Ben instead??

I just think if we really dont' need this game.....do we?? then sit him. Now if the Ravens lose to SD should we sit him for sure???

I think to protect him from futher injury he should sit out BUT i dont know...makes me mad that in other divisions you can still be in the hunt with a 5-7 record yet with a 10-3 record we are fighting for a playoff spot....sure tells you where the best football teams play.

Rampage
12-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Really, I don't think it is worth the risk of further injury. Rest Roethlisberger, Pouncey and Woodley another week and see what the other guys can do. I would rather lose to the 49ers and have these guys for the playoffs than risking their health for such a game.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2011, 01:58 PM
It's such a fine line to try and tightrope. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If you play him and he can't finish the game because he gets his ankle twisted up again or gets hit because he couldn't scramble away then you risk losing him the remainder of the season and playoffs.

If you don't play him and the Steelers lose after the Ravens lose, then you blow a golden opportunity to take over the division lead. Even if the Ravens win and you don't play Ben and lose the game, what if they lose to the Bengals yet? You had a chance and didn't seize it.

At this point of the year it's a total crap shoot.

Raleigh Steel
12-16-2011, 02:05 PM
if we needed a win to get in the playoffs you'd have to go with ben. but the playoffs are all but locked up and we are playing for seeding. i have TOTAL CONFIDENCE in this teams ability to go on the road and win...but only if the team is healthy.

the last 2 weeks shouldn't be a problem for this team regardless of who plays or doesn't. i'd feel confident about taking 11 people from this board to beat the rams and browns...WE CAN DO IT!

right now we should prepare for the playoffs...not seeding. JMHO!

TampaSteelGirl
12-16-2011, 03:14 PM
if we needed a win to get in the playoffs you'd have to go with ben. but the playoffs are all but locked up and we are playing for seeding. i have TOTAL CONFIDENCE in this teams ability to go on the road and win...but only if the team is healthy.

the last 2 weeks shouldn't be a problem for this team regardless of who plays or doesn't. i'd feel confident about taking 11 people from this board to beat the rams and browns...WE CAN DO IT!

Love this post right here...agree 100%

Troyisabeast_43
12-16-2011, 04:28 PM
How can anybody trust old man Charlie at this point?....Batch is old and done....I rather see Dixon then Batch since Dixon can at least make plays with his feet.......Its a tough decision for Tomlin but if the doctors clear Ben and if he practices before the game then Ben should play.......

It's a tough call right now to say if Ben will play or not. Personally, if he doesnt play I agree with you 32 I am going with Dennis Dixon over Batch. Dixon can at least move around and make plays on the run throwing the ball and with his feet against a fast 49ers offense that is going to be blitzing a statue like Batch non-stop all night long if he starts.

JensK
12-16-2011, 05:09 PM

While that is true, by winning the division we would most likely also get the first seed, thus getting a bye-week. That should be heavily considered seeing the current health situation of this team.

Granite State Steel
12-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Like your rational thinking Rampage.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2011, 05:25 PM
We get the 5th seed then we probably have to go to Denver and play Tebow....I'm sorry I want no part of Tebow and the Broncos.....The Broncos are that team were the bounces are going their way and if the game is on the line then nothing will stop Tebow.....So Ben play and beat the 49ers and hopefully the Chargers beat the Ravens.....

Raleigh Steel
12-16-2011, 07:21 PM
While that is true, by winning the division we would most likely also get the first seed, thus getting a bye-week. That should be heavily considered seeing the current health situation of this team.

while, a first round bye would be nice, that wouldn't be for another 3-4 weeks. we have serious injuries now that probably won't get better til the playoffs without rest.

in the browns game when ben went down, i thought (like many) that his season was...and ours...was finished. imagine that he takes another shot to the same ankle and it does finish him off. or if he plays on it and it just gets worse. is that worth a one week off bye? and how many teams in recent memory have won the super bowl outside of the top 2 seeds?

JensK
12-16-2011, 07:55 PM
while, a first round bye would be nice, that wouldn't be for another 3-4 weeks. we have serious injuries now that probably won't get better til the playoffs without rest.

in the browns game when ben went down, i thought (like many) that his season was...and ours...was finished. imagine that he takes another shot to the same ankle and it does finish him off. or if he plays on it and it just gets worse. is that worth a one week off bye? and how many teams in recent memory have won the super bowl outside of the top 2 seeds?

Seeing its a Sprain, it is pretty limited how much worse it can get by playing on it. It will be painful as all hell, but one you get it warmed up it should be playable at least. Sure, he can aggravate it, but I would rather have him sit out the Rams and Browns game than the Niners game, obviously depending on the outcome of the Chargers game.

North Steel
12-16-2011, 10:11 PM
It's a tough call right now to say if Ben will play or not. Personally, if he doesnt play I agree with you 32 I am going with Dennis Dixon over Batch. Dixon can at least move around and make plays on the run throwing the ball and with his feet against a fast 49ers offense that is going to be blitzing a statue like Batch non-stop all night long if he starts.

:plus1:I agree, I would rather see Dixon in there.If things get crazy let him scramble and pull this one out.:clap:

steelersbabex25
12-16-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't know how much of this is up to Tomlin. If Ben thinks he can play, he'll play. I just can't see Tomlin telling Ben to take a seat if Ben says he can go.

LatrobePA
12-16-2011, 11:16 PM
If it were Tomlin I'd fire Bruce Arians and get a real OC so my QB doesn't have to wait 5 seconds every pass play looking deep thus getting hit or sacked all game long!

nuclearchihuahuas
12-18-2011, 12:33 PM
I think if the Rats lose, Ben plays...if the Rats win, Ben sits. The possibilty of winning the division is going to make the choice for Tomlin, not Ben no matter how much he wants to play. Getting Charlie and Dennis playing time in a game that doesnt matter is the best thing to do so they are ready for the playoffs in the event of a disaster. :imho:

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Y do ppl think we can win this game with Batch? The 9ers will take away our run game, putting it on our QB's shoulders, and Batch cannot carry this team

SteelDad
12-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Tomlin may claim to not be 'playing that game' regarding Ben playing dependent upon the Ravens game, but I don't buy it. If Ben has even the slightest mobility and the Ravens lose, I say he plays. I continue to believe however, that I would rather the team be healthy and on the road than wounded and playing at home.

StillersSound
12-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Why does everybody forget Batch should of been 4-0 last year? He played great in that game against the Ravens but the defense lost the game. If Batch has been doing his job for the last year plus, shouldn't he be even better?

Clevelandsux
12-18-2011, 04:09 PM
If ben is able to play, he'll play. This is a very important game. I totally expect Ben to be out there monday night.

SteelDad
12-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Why does everybody forget Batch should of been 4-0 last year? He played great in that game against the Ravens but the defense lost the game. If Batch has been doing his job for the last year plus, shouldn't he be even better?

Remember DD started the first 2. With that said, if either start MNF look for large doses of Red and Mendy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Real Deal Steel
12-18-2011, 11:16 PM
If Ben is medically cleared, Ben plays.

But as soon as we can wrap up the 49er game, we get Ben out of there. We can let Batch start against the Rams the following week.

steelersbabex25
12-19-2011, 12:16 AM
...yes.

steelchamp204
12-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Yea, for sure now. If we win tommorow maybe bench him for the rams game.

Big T
12-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Without question. Especially now. That first round bye would be huge in getting this team healthy for the playoffs.

connecticutsteel
12-19-2011, 12:57 AM
I think we should try to run the ball and if we can't then put ben in

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2011, 01:34 AM
I think we should try to run the ball and if we can't then put ben in

Really?......Ben starts and jump on the 49ers early...Running the ball plays into the 49ers defense.....

coldrolled
12-19-2011, 06:58 AM
nfl.com said ben is playing

LatrobePA
12-19-2011, 03:38 PM
One thing we all should know by now is Bruce and Tomlin won't stupid up the offense, even with the ladies from the View playing on the oline earlier in the season they tried to do what they wanted to do..

I can see them coming out guns blazing!!

DIESELMAN
12-19-2011, 04:45 PM
If Ben plays, hopefully we see him in a lot of shotgun formations. His mobility will be limited, so having to drop back may not be a wise decision. When Ben came back in the Cleveland game, we didn't run a lot of shotgun, Ben was playing off his adrenaline. Here we are 10-11 days later, BA and Ben should know how limited he will be. SF has a good pass rush and J Smith will be up against Starks, should be interesting.

Goodfrom55
12-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Key will be quick releases and keeping Ben upright.

Tonight is a night where the defense and special teams will determine the winner.

49ERSUPREME
12-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Mike "The Token" Tomlin will be out Coached tonight by his Master Jim Harbaugh.

Niners roll easily. 21-0.

MattyVfromCT
12-19-2011, 06:23 PM

Who is jim harbaugh? I'm confused, I've always known that jagoff on your sidelines as greg lloyd's bitch. Who's exactly is this jim harbaugh character you speak of?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

coldrolled
12-19-2011, 06:30 PM

You were better off with Singletary... Thats why you have a defense still.

DIESELMAN
12-19-2011, 08:01 PM

He just got himself banned for that statement. It's one thing to come in here talking smack but that right there is unacceptable.

Stairwayto7
12-19-2011, 08:24 PM
I would!!! Lots of runs, lots of short passes from the gun. And throw in some trick plays

--- Added 12/19/2011 at 06:24 PM ---

Why did we ban him so quick !! LOL:bunny: