PDA

View Full Version : Clark says "we need to shut up"

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Free safety Ryan Clark has expressed defiance, outrage and sheer anger at how the Steelers have been impacted by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's crackdown on illegal hits.

The outspoken free safety took a different stance one day after the league suspended outside linebacker James Harrison for an important game in San Francisco.

"We want to try to figure out a way to be as physical as possible and to be as legal as possible," said Clark, the Steelers' union representative. "On the other (side) of that, when things don't go our way we need to shut up because obviously being who we are isn't working. Being outspoken about things and expressing our frustration in different manners than other people, that's not working for us.

"We're not going to call the commissioner, we're not going to set up meetings -- that's just not the players that we are. But I think as a team we need to stop talking about it."

Harrison, who was suspended for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy, is appealing his punishment. The four-time Pro Bowler is not expected to get it overturned his official hearing was yesterday and the Steelers are preparing for their Monday night game against the 49ers as if they won't have Harrison.
Jason Worilds, who has been starting at left outside linebacker in place of the injured LaMarr Woodley, is expected to play in place of Harrison at right inside linebacker. Woodley, who hasn't played a full game since hurting his hamstring Oct. 30, practiced Wednesday, which puts him on track to play in San Francisco.

Woodley and Harrison haven't played an entire game together since the third week of the season.

Harrison had steered clear of any league discipline this season. But the league suspended him Tuesday for his fifth illegal hit on a quarterback, dating to 2009, and his status as a repeat offender.

Harrison's teammates generally chose their words carefully when talking about how his latest run-in with the league will affect the Steelers.

Cornerback Ike Taylor was one of the few who didn't hide his frustration over policies that many defensive players see as putting them at a competitive disadvantage or taking the essence out of football.

"I'll hit low instead of doing concussions, blow ACLs (knees) out, then what?" Taylor said. "Man, we have no control. Whatever decision they make, we just run with it whether we like it or not."

Steelers inside linebacker and defensive captain James Farrior agreed.
"When you get kicked out of the game or suspended that's hurting the team. We've got to be thinking about doing whatever we need to do not to hurt the team," Farrior said. "You want to play within the guidelines of the game and the rules, but you've got to still play football."

Clark said he is frustrated for Harrison on a personal level as well as a professional one.
Harrison isn't allowed in the Steelers' facility until Tuesday, and he has to watch his team try to win a game it badly needs as it chases a fourth AFC North title in five years.

"You just hate to see a teammate, you hate to see a friend be kind of ostracized, ridiculed when he's actually been working to do better," Clark said. "I couldn't imagine having to deal with what he's had to deal with the past two years. I know he's worked extremely hard to stay within the guidelines and it's his first offense this year, so that part frustrates me."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20resigned%20to%20following%20NFL%27s%20d ictate%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772071.html#ixzz1gZoKCY9e)

bigplaysteel
12-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Clark says "we need to shut up"

Quote:Couldn't agree more!

Nolrog
12-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Shut up and pull the flags from the opposing players hips like you're supposed to in the NFFL.

coldrolled
12-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Ike is right... If harrison starts hitting low he is a solid mass.

"I'll hit low instead of doing concussions, blow ACLs (knees) out, then what?" Taylor said. "Man, we have no control.

LatrobePA
12-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Clark says "we need to shut up"

Quote:Couldn't agree more!

Ditto!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't want to hear one damn word from anybody when a Steeler goes low, takes out somebody's knees, and their season is ended prematurely. Knowing the league that way it is now they'll find someway to fine or suspend one of our players.

LatrobePA
12-15-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't want to hear one damn word from anybody when a Steeler goes low, takes out somebody's knees, and their season is ended prematurely. Knowing the league that way it is now they'll find someway to fine or suspend one of our players.

Right, damned if you do and damned if you don't..

TampaSteelGirl
12-15-2011, 12:10 PM

Exactly!!!!! The days of smash mouth football are over....powder puff flag football is in effect...Goodell is ruining this league!! Players need to come together and impeach this fool!

I've had Ravens fans tell me there is no way Harrison should have been suspended...but Clark does have a point...lets just shut up and prepare for Monday night without Harrsion...truth be told no matter what Goodell does to the Steelers that fool doesn't know the Steelers will prevail...our boys will step up and be there for each other...

BAND OF BROTHERS......he just dont' know!

LatrobePA
12-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Ike is right... If harrison starts hitting low he is a solid mass.

"I'll hit low instead of doing concussions, blow ACLs (knees) out, then what?" Taylor said. "Man, we have no control.

Aim for the sack Ike...

TampaSteelGirl
12-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Aim for the sack Ike...

forget that...go for the INT CATCH! :greengrin:

LatrobePA
12-15-2011, 12:42 PM
forget that...go for the INT CATCH! :greengrin:

Baby steps TSG, baby steps... lol

My way he has two balls to aim for!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2011, 01:00 PM
The latest and heaviest punishment (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11349/1196963-66.stm#ixzz1gioGiBJG) the NFL dropped on the Steelers provoked neither the emotion nor outrage that burst from their locker room a year ago after hefty fines were delivered.

James Harrison's one-game suspension brought more resignation than anger from his teammates, partly because coach Mike Tomlin told his players Monday to cool it when talking to the media about the topic.

In the meantime, the NFL's Ted Cottrell heard the appeal Wednesday by Harrison and his agent Bill Parise. His ruling will be made this week. Cottrell is a former coach hired to hear appeals by the league and the NFL Players Association.

Safety Troy Polamalu said his coach told the players "just to say no comment."

Polamalu's comment?

"No comment."

Many Steelers players disagreed with Harrison's punishment, and some acknowledged it might have a chilling effect on the way they play defense. Others thought it unfair that Harrison was suspended for trying to make a tackle while Oakland defensive lineman Richard Seymour was only fined $30,000 for punching Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito earlier this month, even though it was the second time he had punched another player in two seasons. Seymour punched Ben Roethlisberger last year and was fined $25,000. He was ejected on both occasions.

So repeating a mistake trying to make a tackle cost a suspension while a repeat in throwing a premeditated punch after a play -- which would get a player arrested if he had done it on the street -- drew a fine of only $5,000 more than the first time?
"Man, they're tripping," cornerback Ike Taylor said of the NFL. "I don't know what it is. [Harrison's] getting it handed to him in the NFL way ... He didn't stomp on nobody, he didn't punch nobody's private area."

While Polamalu would not talk about Harrison's situation, he offered an opinion on how it would be difficult for defenders to change how they play the game.
"I don't think any football player is going to go out there and change the way they're playing. I think it's too late in our lives to really do that. Of course, we're professional athletes and we try our best to adjust, but it's tough."

Safety Ryan Clark, the Steelers' player representative to the union, was fined $40,000 for what the league determined to be a helmet-helmet hit Nov. 6 to Baltimore tight end Ed Dickson. Tomlin defended Clark on that one, but, if he hits another player in a similar fashion, he could be the next one to serve a suspension.

"We all are I guess, now," Clark said about being one hit away from a suspension. "The way the appeals process is, the way the suspensions and fines processes go, I guess we all are. There are no set rules, no clarification on what will get you suspended or what will get you fined a certain amount. It's really all let up to judgment.
"We have to continue to try to play within the rules, try to do the right things because it's a battle we really can't win. The NFL is going make the decision on who plays and who doesn't and, for us, we have to try to find a way to play within the rules and still be able to maintain a physical presence out there."

Sometimes, though, the appeals process works. It worked for linebacker James Farrior earlier this year when he and his agent Ralph Cindrich appealed a $15,000 fine he received for hitting Indianapolis Colts quarterback Kerry Collins Sept. 25 helmet-to-facemask. The fine was reduced to $5,000.

"When you get kicked out of a game or get suspended, that's hurting the team," said Farrior, who thought Harrison's suspension might cause defenders to play differently. "We have to think about doing whatever we need to do to not hurt the team."