PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Monday Night...

SteelDad
12-14-2011, 12:27 PM
There's a very good chance we'll already be in the playoffs by the time we take the field on Monday night. We know the ramifications of a Baltimore loss Sunday night, but should Baltimore win and knowing they have Cleveland and Cincy left, do our final two games really matter? Is there any difference between the 5th and 6th seed? Nope.

My thinking is that without the bye, St. Louis and Cleveland can in effect become our bye weeks. The Ravens and Steelers both play 1pm games in weeks 16 and 17 with none of the four likely being flexed. With this in mind and as much as I'd like to win the division, I'm suggesting we get healthy should the ravens win Sunday night.

JensK
12-14-2011, 01:06 PM
I respectfully disagree. We need the 5th seed pretty badly if we can't win the division. The 5th seed will have to play a pretty weak Broncos team, whereas the 6th seed will have to play either Texans or Patriots.

SteelDad
12-14-2011, 01:32 PM
I respectfully disagree. We need the 5th seed pretty badly if we can't win the division. The 5th seed will have to play a pretty weak Broncos team, whereas the 6th seed will have to play either Texans or Patriots.

You're absolutely right Jens. Playing the Broncos would be better. I guess I'm just thinking we'll easily have the 5 seed since we are I believe 2 games clear of the Jets in the 6 hole. Even if we played second teamers, we should still get a one win out of two in the last two weeks.

K Train
12-14-2011, 01:51 PM
yeah i want the broncos BAD if we cant get the 1 seed.

i also wouldnt count on the ravens beating the browns and bengals, they seem overdo for a stupid loss.

that being said im not opposed to letting ben/woodley/pouncey rest if they need to, this is a playoff team...doesnt really matter where they fall, if they are gonna get hot they are gonna get hot

Moondog
12-14-2011, 02:12 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if SanDiego beats Baltimore. The Chargers are a team that can rise up at any moment and kick someone's ***. The past two weeks they have looked better and better, don't be deceived by their record. Phillip Rivers is getting his mojo back, I look for them to finish strong.

TampaSteelGirl
12-14-2011, 03:57 PM

I gotta agree here too....Now granted if we have to go to Denver you know that leaves Clark out...would be nice to play them in Pittsburgh.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2011, 04:57 PM
I'll admit I'd much rather play Denver than go into Foxboro regardless of how bad the Patriots defense is. Playing them in January is never an easy task. The main thing though is that this team gets into the post season and then it's every man for himself and let's see how badly you want it.

Goodfrom55
12-14-2011, 05:06 PM
I gotta agree here too....Now granted if we have to go to Denver you know that leaves Clark out...would be nice to play them in Pittsburgh.

Definitely my upset special of the week. SD, as usual is peaking in December and they will give the Raven's secondary fits.

Early prediction

Chargers 24
Ravens 22

And if this happens, then the Steelers have to rock and roll the next 3 games, including Monday night. They win out, worst case is #2 seed. Home game and a week off would be nice, but it is not necessary.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2011, 07:15 PM
We've seen all too often how things can be "crystal clear" as to what people think will happen and then within a week or 2 everything is turned upside down. There is still a lot of unknowns in the AFC.

Can the Patriots defense every stop anyone? In the playoffs you better be able to play defense because you can't always score 30-40 points per game and expect to overcome your defenses shortcomings. Don't put anything past Bill Belichick though.

Sooner or later Tim Tebow is going to have to score more than just a handful of points before the first quarter. I know Denver's defense is tough and without them, Tebow mania is not here today at this level. You go up against the best of the best in the post season; relying on 4th quarter heroics won't last forever.

The Ravens have a history this year of not playing well on the road, and also have a history of playing down to lesser teams. The Chargers have much more to play for this weekend. The Ravens already know they are basically in. While playing for home field is big, playing for your post season lives is bigger.

Will Big Ben be back, Will Woodley be healthy enough to play the rest of the way , can the Steelers offense continue to come through late in the game when they need too, will the defense step up to the plate and continue to get turnovers and make plays?

Nothing is for certain yet but the only thing the Steelers can do is win out, get to 13-3 and see what happens.

Raleigh Steel
12-14-2011, 08:07 PM
i'd rather have a healthy team going into the playoffs as a #5 seed than go in as a #1 seed with most of our stars hurt. that's just me though.

LevonKirkland99
12-14-2011, 10:40 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if SanDiego beats Baltimore. The Chargers are a team that can rise up at any moment and kick someone's ***. The past two weeks they have looked better and better, don't be deceived by their record. Phillip Rivers is getting his mojo back, I look for them to finish strong.

I agree, I think this is an emotional game for the ravens as they're trying to keep on winning. Jared Gaither was on the ravens squad last year, and then they let him go.
Plus this is a must game for the Chargers if they want to keep up with the Broncos.

mwittman5
12-14-2011, 11:03 PM
i'd rather have a healthy team going into the playoffs as a #5 seed than go in as a #1 seed with most of our stars hurt. that's just me though.

If you get the bye then players will be healthy. Problem is we play bad after byes.

Real Deal Steel
12-14-2011, 11:57 PM
yeah i want the broncos BAD if we cant get the 1 seed.

i also wouldnt count on the ravens beating the browns and bengals, they seem overdo for a stupid loss.

that being said im not opposed to letting ben/woodley/pouncey rest if they need to, this is a playoff team...doesnt really matter where they fall, if they are gonna get hot they are gonna get hot

I trust the Ravens weak mental make-up to drop a game and give us the division crown. And it's no sure thing the Texans will win out either. We could get the top seed in the whole conference. We must play these remaining games all out!

StillinBaltimore
12-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Here is what I've noticed in the last decade or so. No team who has rested players late in the year... or treated the last game or two as a bye has made a deep run in the playoffs. These guys are creatures of habit and are built for long stretches of tough times. If they let up a little at any point leading into the playoffs they get thrown of that rhythm. It happened to us in 07. It happened to the colts... alot. It happened to several other times as well I'm sure. The teams that have been winning SBs as of late have been peddle to the metal heading into the playoffs.

scpc
12-15-2011, 10:26 AM
1st seed is jinxed anyway. No way do I want us to get it.

K Train
12-15-2011, 10:30 AM
1st seed is jinxed anyway. No way do I want us to get it.

no, one thing i do NOT want is for them to have to go to foxboro

mos07
12-15-2011, 10:36 AM
no, one thing i do NOT want is for them to have to go to foxboro

AGREED! We have avoided them completely on our last three SB trips (either at Heinz or up there) and I have no problem avoiding them this year.

papabaier
12-15-2011, 11:06 AM
#2 seed would be welcome if the Baltimorons could stumble. I think they will lose to SD. If they DO beat SD, I wouldn't be opposed to resting our key guys - think we can still win 2 out 3 this way. We should/would beat Denver in playoffs. NE always tough at home in January no matter what the Dee is doing. Beat them once this year, tough to beast that team and coaching twice in one year. We would win rematch with Texans. Control Rice and we would beat Raisons. Steeler's:imho: looking good for playoff run!
:cope:

StillersSound
12-15-2011, 12:10 PM
I agree with you but I think you need to switch the game they need to win from 49ers to Rams. Considering the injuries, better defense, more likely to get injured against the 49ers, etc.

Steelers are a lock for the 5th seed as long as they win 1 out of the last 3 games and the Jets lose 1 of their last 3 games.

papabaier
12-16-2011, 08:23 AM
If Ravens stumble, we need to win all 3 left

LevonKirkland99
12-16-2011, 09:01 PM
If Ravens stumble, we need to win all 3 left

That would be great especially the ravens have an easier schedule than us. The Chargers could beat them. Hopefully no let down from the Chargers and Steelers this weekend.

By now everyone on the Defense squad should be rested and ready to go...Polamalu needs to tackle better and Fat Woodley need to get in the game and PLAY well! No dropped passes from Wallace, and park Ward unless you need some scheme.

Go Steelers!!:tt02:

steeld3_4
12-16-2011, 11:08 PM
I want the steelers to win out, no matter who plays. I think SD will pull the upset sunday night, & even though Houston has an easy schedule, I think they may drop a game with Yates at the helm, even though I'm pulling for him being a tarheel fan!
If that happens we will be the 1 seed. May be a long shot, but I would rather play at heinz field any day!!!

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk