PDA

View Full Version : Steelers could activate Dixon as 3rd QB for Monday night

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2011, 09:39 AM
According to sources (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20could%20just%20activate%20Dixon%20as%20 third%20QB%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_771852.html#ixzz1gVv65XGi) the Steelers are considering activating 3 QB's for next Monday nights game. I would think this would be a no brainer. Normally only activating 2 QB's is sufficient but with Ben's ankle and Maurkice Pouncey's problematic injury it would make sense to have Dixon available.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is listed as questionable for Monday's game at San Francisco with a high-ankle sprain. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday he'll consider activating Dennis Dixon as a third quarterback if Roethlisberger is unable to practice this week.

"Obviously, if we go into this game with Ben less than 100 percent, three quarterbacks is a potential option," Tomlin said. "We'll get all our quarterbacks ready. If he's going to play, he's going to practice.

"As we get closer to situational football, everyone who's going to be a participant needs reps. Right now, we're trying to get him as healthy as possible on a day-to-day basis."

Tomlin dismissed the possibility of holding out Roethlisberger against San Francisco to ensure he's ready for the playoffs.

"If he's healthy enough to play, he'll play," Tomlin said. "I don't play that game."

MDSteel15
12-14-2011, 09:45 AM
:popcorn:Geez, with Ben hurting don't you think this would be kinda smart?!?! Duh...

LatrobePA
12-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Homie don't play that!

Goodfrom55
12-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Whether Ben plays or not, I don't think they have a choice. If Ben can't go, we all know Charlie is a China Doll, so they have to activate Dix.

coldrolled
12-14-2011, 11:03 AM
:popcorn:Geez, with Ben hurting don't you think this would be kinda smart?!?! Duh...

Arians thought this through for us..

dscola
12-14-2011, 11:08 AM
I thought that the 3rd qb was a new exemption rule they added this year on the 53 man roster. Meaning he doesn't count on the roster but if he plays, the other two qbs can't come back in.

Blitzburgh55
12-14-2011, 12:09 PM
I much rather have Dixon as the backup then the one and only Charlie Batch

LatrobePA
12-14-2011, 12:14 PM

I'd rather Larry Foote as QB over them both... lol

Personally Chuck is over the hill no arm strength, Dixon is lousy but in the right game plan could do better!

Blitzburgh55
12-14-2011, 12:23 PM

Personally Chuck is over the hill no arm strength, Dixon is lousy but in the right game plan could do better!

Lets just resign Randle El and put him in there

LatrobePA
12-14-2011, 12:39 PM

Train would go for that! lol

papabaier
12-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by LatrobePA

Right game plan?? With Arians? No wonder I'm stressing

LatrobePA
12-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by LatrobePA

Right game plan?? With Arians? No wonder I'm stressing

Haaaaaaa join the crowd!

CowherPower
12-14-2011, 11:40 PM
You have to wonder how rusty Dixon is going to be if he has to go in. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but if it does I suspect they'll do a lot of QB scrambles and roll outs to help utilize his feet.

LevonKirkland99
12-15-2011, 12:07 AM
If Ben plays would he further injure that ankle? or is this an injury that could heal over time with him playing ?!

Mike Tomlin
12-15-2011, 12:16 AM
If Ben plays would he further injure that ankle? or is this an injury that could heal over time with him playing ?!

I would think he couldn't injure it further other wise they would not have let him come back that game.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger limped noticeably Wednesday (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%27%20Batch%20preparing%20for%20possible%2 0start%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_772067.html#ixzz1gZr5Hdqc) at the team's practice facility, and the quarterback did not address reporters and their inevitable questions about whether his left ankle will be well enough for him to play Monday night in San Francisco.

Charlie Batch said he expects to start if Roethlisberger is unable to play, a little less than two weeks after sustaining a high-ankle sprain in a 14-3 win over the Browns.
"Being that the game is on Monday, it wouldn't surprise me if I found out on Monday," Batch said.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday during a conference call with San Francisco reporters that Roethlisberger "can be ready to play on a limited number of snaps. We're always going to be optimistic when it comes to Ben."

Batch came off the bench last Thursday after Roethlisberger got hurt and played the final six minutes of the second quarter. He misfired on both of his pass attempts.
>> Strong safety Troy Polamalu didn't practice Wednesday, but it looks like the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year will be OK for the San Francisco game. Tomlin said Tuesday that Polamalu questionable to play against the 49ers because of a hamstring injury. "It feels good," Polamalu said.

>> Clark heaped praise on Jason Worilds on Wednesday, saying the second-year linebacker has helped hold the Steelers' linebackers corps together. The Steelers have been hit with injuries at the position, and they will be without the suspended James Harrison in San Francisco.

"The biggest thing is the play of Jason Worilds," Clark said. "Jason has been able to come in and play extremely well, definitely showing that he was deserving to be a high draft pick last year."

>> Emmanuel Sanders is hoping to play Monday night, but Dec. 24 is a more realistic return date for the second-year wide receiver. Sanders has missed three of the past five games because of knee and foot injuries.

"As long as I'm 100 (percent) by the playoffs, then it's going to be a good thing," Sanders said. "I've got to be out there mentally strong and not thinking about my injury. Until I can get back to that, I really don't need to be out there."

I would the Steelers don't say anything else about Ben's injury and just call him a game time decision. Don't give away any more info than you have too.

UKSTEELER
12-15-2011, 05:22 AM
Batch against this 49ers defense is a recipe for disaster, he's just as rusty as DD, at least DD can do things with his feet, avoid the rush - is batch a significantly better passer of the ball than DD, . . no . . . Batch is obviously the safe bet, . . . but I'd rather the enterprising DD than old man batch sitting their waiting to get sacked!!!

We all know the real reason why Batch gets preference, it's because it's easier for BA to gameplan!

coldrolled
12-15-2011, 08:09 AM
You have to wonder how rusty Dixon is going to be if he has to go in. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but if it does I suspect they'll do a lot of QB scrambles and roll outs to help utilize his feet.

Who is they'll .... We got a new OC? :lol:

Ibleedblk&gld
12-15-2011, 10:05 AM

no need...we have hines

StillinBaltimore
12-15-2011, 10:15 AM

At the very least because batch isn't going to be playing much longer and we need to get Dixon some more PT!

LatrobePA
12-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Ben limps after he shits, this isn't a big deal... If there's a camera in sight he'll ham it up, no worries here!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Between Batch and Dixon, you have one decent, complete, NFL backup. Charlie used to be a very mobile QB back when he was with the Lions, but age has taken that part of his game away. Dixon can run but he's not exactly a super star at reading defenses or making the clutch pass play when you need it.

Either way you start one and miss something that the other brings.

connecticutsteel
12-17-2011, 08:18 PM
I can't figure out why we didn't keep the kid we had in camp Chris Dieker he would have been better then Batch or Dixon .He is 6'5" 232 and young

RW76
12-18-2011, 12:27 AM
If Ben is out, Batch will have to make some plays happen (http://thexlog.com/201112152208/xtra-point-football/nfl/nfl-redzone-report-week-15/). If he plays conservative, Niners win easily.