PDA

View Full Version : Harrison to be suspended.. 12/14, NFL suspends Harrison 1 game!

DIESELMAN
12-12-2011, 11:11 PM
UPDATE!!!

PIT - Suspension coming Tuesday for James Harrison - Mon Dec 12, 08:46 PM
Updating a previous report, Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison will be suspended by the National Football League Tuesday, Dec. 13. It is believed the penalty will be one or two games for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland Browns QB Colt McCoy in the Week 14 game Thursday, Dec. 8.

12/14/2011 - (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Harrison%20suspended%20for%20hit%20on%20McCoy%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_771786.html#ixzz1gSV6O3Ue)

Steelers linebacker James Harrison was suspended today by the NFL for Monday's game at San Francisco, according to a league spokesman.

Harrison's one-game suspension is for his helmet-to-helmet hit Thursday night on Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy. Harrison is the first player under commissioner Roger Goodell to be suspended for a helmet-to-helmet hit under the league's more enhanced player safety rules.

Harrison, who was assessed more than $100,000 in fines last season, is expected to appeal the suspension. He said Monday that he didn't expect the league to fine or suspend him.

Goodfrom55
12-12-2011, 11:23 PM
If this is in fact, true, then this is pure unadulterated Horsesh*t from Roger Goddel.

Fine sure, suspension? Hope he gets a bad case of the trots for a week straight and it's so bad that he gets red baboon *** from over-wiping.

KSSteelerfan
12-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Goodell hates the Steelers. It's obvious from his approach. The NFL even went so far as to come up with the Steeler rule when it comes to hits. I call B.S. on the commish.

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 12:03 AM
We all knew this was coming...

StlersGuy
12-13-2011, 01:03 AM
All this is going to come down to is Gordell hates the Steelers and Harrison and look for him to make an example of Harrison...

Welcome to the new flag football

connecticutsteel
12-13-2011, 01:38 AM
if i was the players union i would fight this on the basiss that the rules on this are not clear teams and refs and players are being told differennt things if this was any other teamm i wouldn't be written about

Nolrog
12-13-2011, 07:20 AM
I agree, the rules are not clear and they sure as heck are not enforced consistently. We've seen many Steelers take hits to the helmet and have no call, and we've seen Steelers hit the other player in the back or on the side and get helmet to helmet.

Right now, there are a lot of rules in the NLF that could use some clarification and consistent enforcement.

Raleigh Steel
12-13-2011, 08:01 AM
there needs to be a review panel of ex-PLAYERS to watch these hits and determine the punishment...not ray anderson and roger goofball.

there needs to be definitive definitions of what is and is not a legal hit...and these definitions must be taken into consideration when handing out punishment.

there needs to be accountability among the officials as well. if a flag is thrown when one wasn't necessary, or if one wasn't thrown where it should have been, the league should fine the entire officiating crew...on these types of hits.

the league needs to punish players for their conduct if no flag was thrown. and fines and other disciplinary actions need to be uniform across the board...not handed out haphazardly.

the league also needs an independent appeal process of ex-PLAYERS. how can you appeal a decision handed down by anderson/goofball to anderson/goofball?

finally the owners need to demand these things, and if not given, need to unanimously remove goofball from his dictatorship. he isn't the best person for the job, and can be easily replaced.

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 08:17 AM
ill be making MANY videos comparing hits around the league showing their hypocrisy. sending them to every network and that twat goodell himself. they can take em down 50000 times ill keep posting on new accounts. if goodell was run over by a bus, not only would i not help him, not only would i stand over him laughing at his sorry ***, not only would i shake the drivers hand, buy him a beer and thank him for performing an honorable community service, id also write letters to my local senators requesting it possible for civilians to earn the congressional medal of honor. i hate that sniveling, sorry excuse for a man and will never respect him.......

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

SteelDad
12-13-2011, 08:32 AM
A. not unexpected
B. still BS

Big T
12-13-2011, 09:37 AM
This is f*ckin ridiculous. If he had all the fines he had last year, and then the McCoy hit happened, then I could see a suspension. This year he's clearly change the way he plays. Has he even been fined this season? It's ridiculous. Everyone wants to start suspending players because of Suh. Last I remember, James Harrison never stomped on anyone and doesn't get penalized for **** AFTER the whistle. And on top of that, the hit wasn't even close to as bad as some of the hits I've seen this season.

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 09:59 AM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
The sense in Pittsburgh and around the league is that the NFL will wind up suspending Steelers LB James Harrison on Tuesday morning.
12 hours ago

FN BS!

coldrolled
12-13-2011, 10:18 AM
if they do this then suspend him for the one browns game, that would be fair,

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 10:27 AM
I knew he was going to get it but the guy has been quiet all year...

It's nothing more than Goodell trying to keep us out of the hunt...

steelersbabex25
12-13-2011, 10:51 AM
The NFL truely has become a joke league. Yesterday I was watching ESPN pretty much all day. Everytime there was a former player discussing this, especially a former defensive player, their response was pretty much, "will he be suspended? Probably. Should he be suspended? No." Like BigT said, he's not kicking someone when they're laying on the ground like Suh, or stomping on someone's head like Haynesworth. None of this is done in a malicious way. It's the game of football.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I expected this though don't agree with it. He hasn't been fined this year so he has obviously made a attempt at playing by their rules...One game should be the limit.

That begs the questions,when do the suspensions take place after how many fines? What is the progression of fines to suspensions? How long do the fines carry their weight,I mean since this is the first occasion this year ,how des the player wipe his slate clean? They are opening a whole new can of worms with this ,and it should have all been planned out before being put into action....:2cents:

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Watch your back Goodell, I'm sure there is more than one crazy bastard Steelers fan out there...

chisteeler
12-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Anyone know Rog's email address?

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Knew this shiate was comin. The fags at the top rule. NFL football has finally become NASCAR. Hard to even imagine all 32 teams completely even in all depth and performance areas. So, the winner of the SuperBowl is now determined behind closed doors. Let's guess, could it be GOD's team i.e. the DONCO's or maybe the *** kissin cheese heads or what ever woose bag team is out there. It sure as hell ain't gonna be us based on the current rules. My opinion only. Don't forget the players just signed a multi year contract that implemented all these fn new rules. Damn near impossible to put that horse back in the barn.

Big T
12-13-2011, 11:50 AM
F*ckin retarded

@AdamSchefter: NFL suspended Steelers linebacker James Harrison one game for his helmet-to-helmet hit Thursday night on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy.

Stairwayto7
12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Turkey Jones never got suspended when he treated Bradshaw like a rag doll

chisteeler
12-13-2011, 11:57 AM
So can he appeal and sit out the Rams game?

Big T
12-13-2011, 12:01 PM
@AdamSchefter: Steelers LB James Harrison plans to appeal his one-game suspension.

SteelDad
12-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Get out the tutus and the flags fellas.

TampaSteelGirl
12-13-2011, 12:07 PM
This man does not want the Steelers to make the playoffs...of course he'll suspend him for the SF game!! Im sorry but when Colt McCoy tucked the ball in and started moving out of the pocket he is fair game...he also put his head down so how is Harrison going to stop himself from tackling in mid air....

Steeler Nation needs to get together and start writing ridiulous amounts of letters to this *** bag!!! He really needs to go!!!!!

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 12:07 PM
@AdamSchefter: Steelers LB James Harrison plans to appeal his one-game suspension.

HE better, this is ****!

Where's Woodley...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2011, 12:09 PM
You're damn right he should appeal it. This is the NFL trying to make an example out of James. They have taken past offenses into play from last year. It's one thing to use past offenses in the same year but going back previous years is not right. He was a model NFL player so far until this and now you suspend him a full game for something this questionable?

RIDICULOUS!!!!

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 12:09 PM
is this football or women's synchronized swimming. i cant tell the difference anymore smmfh.......

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2011, 12:13 PM
ScottBrown_Trib (http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=ScottBrown_Trib) - Harrison has been suspended 1 game by the NFL.

Harrison not allowed to practice or be at Steelers' practice facility until Dec. 20 when he is reinstated.James plans to appeal the suspension. More to come after Mike Tomlin's weekly press conference at Noon today.

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 12:15 PM
ScottBrown_Trib (http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=ScottBrown_Trib)

Man oh man...

Use to be fun watching our guys blow up RB's, WR's, QB's... No one wanted to play us, this is Goodells way to even the playing field...

I hope he chokes on a turkey bone, f'n prick!!

steelchamp204
12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
You cant apeal this at all.

1. It was late
2. Clearly helmet to helmet.
3. Did not let up.

He had this coming. He has been fined for this multiple times. Not shocked at all it was a suspension. Can we stop this bs with the Goodell hates the steelers ****.

chisteeler
12-13-2011, 12:30 PM
This man does not want the Steelers to make the playoffs...of course he'll suspend him for the SF game!! Im sorry but when Colt McCoy tucked the ball in and started moving out of the pocket he is fair game...he also put his head down so how is Harrison going to stop himself from tackling in mid air....

Steeler Nation needs to get together and start writing ridiulous amounts of letters to this *** bag!!! He really needs to go!!!!!

I have a draft ready to go, and sent it to Roger.Goodell@nfl.net but it came back as a delivery failure. Is this his address or is it something different? I'm all for flooding his inbox with complaints. It will give his flunkies something to do. :banging:

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 12:35 PM

1. It was late
3. Did not let up.

He had this coming. He has been fined for this multiple times. Not shocked at all it was a suspension. Can we stop this bs with the Goodell hates the steelers ****.

No....

chisteeler
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM

1. It was late
3. Did not let up.

I have to disagree. JH was in the process of making a hit/takle in full speed mode, so it was not late. Yes it was helmet to helmet..both players are vertically challenged. How do you let up when your going full speed?

Let us hate Roger if not us then who? lol :yellowthumb:

DIESELMAN
12-13-2011, 12:40 PM
According to the CBA, past fines going back to 2009 are taken into account. That's where they get the repeat offender label. Harrison has 3 business days to appeal.

steelchamp204
12-13-2011, 12:42 PM
I have to disagree. JH was in the process of making a hit/takle in full speed mode, so it was not late. Yes it was helmet to helmet..both players are vertically challenged. How do you let up when your going full speed?

Let us hate Roger if not us then who? lol :yellowthumb:

Then I guees Harrison is just challenged at lowering his pads which he fails to do alot.:plus1:

TampaSteelGirl
12-13-2011, 12:45 PM
So Ben gets his nose broken...concussions, pounded to the ground and there are NEVER suspensions...we are lucky if he gets a roughing the passer flag!!! Screw the NFL!

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 12:51 PM
We won games w/ out James we'll be fine... It's the timing that confuses me!

StlersGuy
12-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Gordell is an ***...nuff said

mwittman5
12-13-2011, 01:06 PM
So Ben gets his nose broken...concussions, pounded to the ground and there are NEVER suspensions...we are lucky if he gets a roughing the passer flag!!! Screw the NFL!

and Richard Seymour can go around punching people including Ben and get no suspension. Typical ex patriot treatment.

coldrolled
12-13-2011, 01:08 PM
The browns game would make sense, since we hit mccoy. the SF game is in play so goodell can help out his ratbirds..

steelersbabex25
12-13-2011, 01:11 PM
James Harrison on Twitter 45 minutes ago....

Lol!!!

:rofl:

SteelDad
12-13-2011, 01:15 PM
The hit was illegal by current NFL guidelines. A suspension or fine was coming. The problem is on James, yes, but it is much more so on the League itself.

James Harrison has been playing football most of his life and he is not the first guy to "lead with his head." In the League's infinite wisdom, they decided last year, mid-season mind you, to alter rules in the name of "safety" that have required players to completely alter the way they play the game. No one, can expect people to change overnight. Sure, Tiger Woods can change his golf swing and Albert Pujols can change his batting stance, but how does the League expect people to change what they are doing when they are going 100mph?

You want change Mr. Commissioner? Start with the high schools and colleges where crappy tackling and even worse tackling form are the norm. That's where you get guys to learn the ways that YOU want to see on Sundays. Take the London Fletcher hit on Brady for example. You show me one wrong thing with his tackle.... Going all out, Brady starts to slide and Fletcher lowers his shoulder and makes a clean hit away from the head of Brady. FLAG! You have corrupted your own game officials because they don't even know what constitutes a legal hit anymore.

James Harrison's hit on Colt McCoy was illegal because their two helmets collided. How was Harrison supposed to know what McCoy was going to do as he had taken a runner's position with the ball prior to tossing it to a nearby receiver? This is like asking a sportscar doing 150mph to stop on a dime. IT CAN'T HAPPEN.

You are not fooling anyone Goodell. This isn't about safety, its about money. Fantasy football is killing the game because of its' billion dollar value and its' need for offensive players to remain healthy. Maybe you don't hate the steelers, but it's worse because you hate football the way it was intended to be played. Can't wait to buy my first team skirt and flag football belt you jackass.

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 01:15 PM
James Harrison on Twitter 45 minutes ago....

:rofl:

I hope we destroy the niners w/ out 92 in there... One more game he sits is just one more game he'll be stronger for...

Actually Goodell may of done us a favor the CS!!

chisteeler
12-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Then I guees Harrison is just challenged at lowering his pads which he fails to do alot.:plus1:

True. But we see alot of players that do not lower their pads. They tend to go for the "big hits." I think they stop teaching form taclking after the high school level. The sport has evolved into a more violent game in the modern era. With the way players are conditioning year round and becominmg bigger, faster and stronger, it's almost impossible to not have the amount of injuries that occur during a season. I'm still of the mind set that these are grown men playing a game for good money and they know the risks involved. The rules are put in place, but we do not have to necessarily agree with them, meaning that sometimes the rules that are made or revised are overthought and lead to less excitment in an already fast paced game. :tt02:

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 01:24 PM
According to the CBA, past fines going back to 2009 are taken into account. That's where they get the repeat offender label. Harrison has 3 business days to appeal.

if thats the case, ray lewis was fined TWICE for helmet to helmet hits in 2009. one on ochocinco where he launched himself head first into ocho's head, knocking his helmet off, and another one on austin collie in the endzone during the divisional playoffs. and we all know about the helmet to helmet hit on hines who according to THEIR rules was a DEFENSELESS RECEIVER. if james is suspended for hitting a "defenseless" player and being a "repeat offender" than why the **** isnt ray lewis given the same treatment? THIS IS WHAT PISSES ME OFF MORE THAN ANYTHING. As much as i hate the new rules, i wouldnt be flipping out if EVERYONE WAS HELD TO THE SAME MOTHER****ING STANDARDS! THE HYPOCRISY AND OBJECTIVITY IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER DISGRACE. And why the **** isnt cortland finnegan suspended for throwing down like he's in a ****ing ufc octagon!? Hes certainly a repeat offender of that. **** the nfl. im to the point where i dont even want to watch anymore. still love my steelers but the game has been destroyed. RIP NFL 1920-2011..........

DIESELMAN
12-13-2011, 01:30 PM
PIT - James Harrison plans to appeal - Tue Dec 13, 11:44 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison plans to appeal his one-game suspension for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland Browns QB Colt McCoy.

chisteeler
12-13-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm glad he will appeal, but the appeal process and who decides on it is a joke in and of itself.
P.S. Godspeed MattyV!

papabaier
12-13-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm as big a Harrison fan as anyone in Pgh, but, BUT, the dude needs to not lead with his noggin. He could have killed McCoy with a legit hit with his shoulder in his sternum. I know its a bang-bang play - but Harrison is a pro athlete with exceptional hand to eye coordination. Time after time you see other top-end defenders blow up the QB or receiver with legit hits. Steelers need to do the same - they are still the best hitting team out there, bar none!

SteelCurtainYinzer
12-13-2011, 01:47 PM
If there is nothing to play for the final game of the season, meaning that we are in the playoff's and are the WC team, I would love to see the Steelers defense play a game of TAG to show how stupid football has become. Go through the motions, no hitting of Cleveland players, still tackle but tag a player if they are forced to run and deliver a hit. Lay down a big turd.
They should do something to make a mockery of how the NFL handles its dishing out penalties. I would prefer the NFL to do what the NHL has done, allowed one person outside the commissioner to make the ruling and then, put it out on video describing why it was illegal.
The players made a big mistake when they allowed RG all the power when they held out.

Ravens1
12-13-2011, 01:48 PM
That's a shame.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2011, 01:55 PM
That's a shame.

Wow really? should we have expected anything less from you?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2011, 01:59 PM
The appeal process is a joke because in the end the appeals process personnel report to Goodell. I'm sure Harrison's agent has already filed the appeal but don't expect anything to come of it. Tomlin said they are preparing for James to not play and that's how we as fans should get ourselves ready for this game. If by some stroke of miracle luck he is able to play then it's a benefit.

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Ron cook sucks. That is all........

steelersbabex25
12-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Wow really? should we have expected anything less from you?

Anything more* :rofl:

chisteeler
12-13-2011, 02:42 PM
I just had a thought. What if when JH comes back after the suspension that BA uses him in goal line situations as a fullback instead of Johnson? This way he could blow some people up and not get pentalized/fined/suspended. Plus he'd be helping with our redzone running attack. This is something I'd love to see just to see if it'd work. JMO

Dobre Shunka
12-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Expected a fine, not a suspension.

Hypocrisy and ridiculousness runs rampant in the NFL.

papabaier
12-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Might be a good option - Mendenhall cant get with this line. Maybe Harrison can.:lol::lol:

steelersbabex25
12-13-2011, 02:53 PM
:duh:

SteelDad
12-13-2011, 02:55 PM
-- becoming the first player in 25 years to be suspended by the league for a tackle on the football field.

This quote speaks volumes of where Goodell is taking this once proud game.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11347/1196569-100.stm#ixzz1gRUQql54

steelersbabex25
12-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Who was the player that got suspended 25 years ago?

chisteeler
12-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Who was the player that got suspended 25 years ago?

Charles Martin. He was this big slob for Green Bay that had a hit list of players numbers on his hand towel that he wanted to take out. He plopped McMahon kinda of like Turkey Jones did to Bradshaw.:yellowthumb:

BR7
12-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Charles Martin. He was this big slob for Green Bay that had a hit list of players numbers on his hand towel that he wanted to take out. He plopped McMahon kinda of like Turkey Jones did to Bradshaw.:yellowthumb:

lol, I remember that. The play was over for a good 5 seconds and he came up from behind, gave him a bear hug tackle and dropped him on his throwing shoulder. His towel had those numbers 'x-ed' out when he nailed them. lol, the good 'ole days.

edit.. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTLlaMY_9PM

StillersSound
12-13-2011, 04:38 PM
More reason for the Steelers to rest key players if the Ravens win and say screw Godell?

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 05:04 PM
:rant2:
lol, I remember that. The play was over for a good 5 seconds and he came up from behind, gave him a bear hug tackle and dropped him on his throwing shoulder. His towel had those numbers 'x-ed' out when he nailed them. lol, the good 'ole days.

edit.. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTLlaMY_9PM

and THIS is what pisses me off about these soft, faggy new school football fans. THAT was a dirty play in this video. THAT is dirty. suh stomping on a guy is dirty. cortland finnegan throwing down after the whistle like he's in a ufc octagon on multiple occasions is dirty. richard seymour throwing punches, kicking, pulling hair after the play is dead is dirty. all these hits james does that all these crybaby schoolgirl steeler haters bitch and moan about being "dirty" and "cheap" USED TO BE CALLED FOOTBALL!!!! if it's a bang bang play between the whistles i dont care if it's suggs or ray lewis on ben. ITS FOOTBALL. only blatantly egregious hits where there is 100% without a doubt an attempt to injure someone OR ample time to prevent the **** should there be any penalty on top of a flag............

Goodfrom55
12-13-2011, 05:18 PM
The Media monsters hyped up Harrison't hit so much, it's almost like Goodel had no choice but to suspend him..Ironically though, any analyst at ESPN with football experience says the suspension is not warranted because McCoy only threw the ball at the last second after tucking and running in Harrison's direction.

Funny, they base it on past violations, but didn't he already pay for those violations with fines, etc? AND. . .this is his 1st Personal Foul penalty of 2011. The guy has a target on his back.

From now on, tackle with your shoulder and drive the QB's throwing shoulder into the ground and land on him.

Pick your poison.

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 05:24 PM
The Media monsters hyped up Harrison't hit so much, it's almost like Goodel had no choice but to suspend him..Ironically though, any analyst at ESPN with football experience says the suspension is not warranted because McCoy only threw the ball at the last second after tucking and running in Harrison's direction.

Funny, they base it on past violations, but didn't he already pay for those violations with fines, etc? AND. . .this is his 1st Personal Foul penalty of 2011. The guy has a target on his back.

From now on, tackle with your shoulder and drive the QB's throwing shoulder into the ground and land on him.

Pick your poison.

AND ray lewis has past violations too. why isn't he suspended? ****ing hypocrites. goodell and his cronies make all politicians look like honest, hard working human beings who never lie..........

Stone
12-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Not telling any of you something you don't already understand but.................The NFL is headed for deep ****! Within the next 5 years the NFL will suffer huge decline despite the popularity of the game.

Goodell and the league's pure bull **** about player safety is becoming laughable! Until the league takes a stand against HGH and PED's anything they say about player safety is a lie!

Officiating has become a joke!

The NFL keeps some language in the rules that gives the refs the ability to "influence" a game. Why else would you have the language around a rule (offensive holding) written so that the penalty could be called on "every single play"?......THINK ABOUT IT!

steelspikes
12-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Steelers will play angry vs. 49rs; they play better with a chip on their shoulders. The Harrison hit was McCoy's fault for thinking he could tuck and run like he was still playing for the Texas Longhorns. We will kick SF *** without JH.

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 06:38 PM
i love how this IDIOT from baltimore is so outspoken about james yet says NOTHING about ray lewis doing the same type of hits. baltimore=the **** stained ******* of the east coast..........

James Harrison has only himself to blame
By Jamison Hensley
James Harrison might be angry at the NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell for the unprecedented one-game suspension, but the Steelers linebacker has only himself to blame.

His track record has made him the face for helmet-to-helmet hits in the NFL, and it's been a spiteful face.

In addition to four fines for illegal hits against quarterbacks in 2009 and 2010, Harrison also was fined twice for unnecessary roughness during that period. Harrison totaled six fines in that two-year period. He isn't just a repeat offender; he is the very definition of one on this subject.

[+] Enlarge
Charles LeClaire/US Presswire
Medical personnel attend to Browns quarterback Colt McCoy on Thursday after a helmet-to-helmet hit by Steelers linebacker James Harrison.
Another hefty fine for hitting Browns quarterback Colt McCoy would serve no purpose. How do we know that? Because Harrison basically said so himself at last season's Super Bowl with tongue firmly placed in cheek.

"I don't want to hurt nobody. I don't want to step on nobody's foot or hurt their toe," Harrison said 10 months ago. "I don't want to have no dirt or none of this rubber on this field fly into their eye and make their eye hurt. I just want to tackle them softly on the ground, and if you all can, we'll lay a pillow down where I'm going to tackle them, so they don't hit the ground too hard ... Mr. Goodell."

Based on Harrison's comments, fines have made no impact and would never do so. Another one would have been a slap on the wrist. The NFL had to get Harrison's attention with a punch to the gut. That meant making him the first player to get suspended under the NFL's enhanced enforcement of player-safety violations.

Harrison's actions and lack of remorse forced this extreme punishment. The message is clear: Instead of going at the quarterback's head, think with your head.

Some might argue that this is severe because it's his first personal foul of the year. The 2011 League Policies for Players manual says that the NFL considers a three-year window when determining discipline. Harrison has been fined four times for hitting quarterbacks before this season.

Some think, like Harrison, that the hit was legal because McCoy was running with the ball before throwing it. The rules, however, protect a quarterback from blows to the head even if he throws on the run.

"Of course it was a penalty," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday after the suspension was announced. "We have to be accountable for that; he has to be accountable for that."

That's the key -- accountability. There's no doubt that every coach in this league would prefer to have Harrison on his team than to face him on Sundays. There's no questioning that Harrison is one of the most feared pass-rushers in this league.

The issue is whether he'll ever learn. That comes from accepting responsibility. That comes from hitting the right way on the field. Fines, obviously, have not worked. One year after getting a $75,000 fine on Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, he lowered his helmet and hit McCoy with the crown of it.

The suspension was the right call. Under the circumstances, it was the only one.

papabaier
12-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Steeler pressure on 49 QB should still be enough to win game. Health-wise, Steelers may be in better shape than 49rs. I hope we can get a lead where critical players like Ben don't have to play the whole game. Anyone else out there think Todd Haley would be a good OC for the black n gold?

Goodfrom55
12-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Anyone else out there think Todd Haley would be a good OC for the black n gold?

Interesting, but I think he will go to the college ranks by then.

jpele
12-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Thank Tomlin, way to back your players:

“@ScottBrown_Trib: Tomlin says of Harrison: "He hit him illegally and he and we have to suffer the consequences."”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TESS743
12-13-2011, 07:38 PM

and hines and heath getting knocked silly and ben almost getting his leg broken and:cope: no flag! my blood is boiling right now. i knew he would suspend him just when we have a big game coming up. but, hopefully the guys will rally behind this and kick SF butt.

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Thank Tomlin, way to back your players:

“@ScottBrown_Trib: Tomlin says of Harrison: "He hit him illegally and he and we have to suffer the consequences."”

Sucks but he's right, with the new rules Harrison is the first player to be suspended for an illegal football hit...

chisteeler
12-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Illegal football hit... just sounds like an oxymoron.

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Illegal football hit... just sounds like an oxymoron.

I know right..

chisteeler
12-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Well the next thing to happen is when JH starts tackling at the legs of opponents and pulls an LT like tackle that broke Theisman's leg, then he'll be suspended again and probably sued.
Then Roger and his flunkies will say that defenders are suppose to fore warn the ball carrier/receiver that they are attempting to tackle them and that they should prepare themselves accordingly by running out of bounds or lay on the ground and wait to be touched. That way he (Rog) doesn't have to go to flag football just yet.

coldrolled
12-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Well the next thing to happen is when JH starts tackling at the legs of opponents and pulls an LT like tackle that broke Theisman's leg, then he'll be suspended again and probably sued.
Then Roger and his flunkies will say that defenders are suppose to fore warn the ball carrier/receiver that they are attempting to tackle them and that they should prepare themselves accordingly by running out of bounds or lay on the ground and wait to be touched. That way he (Rog) doesn't have to go to flag football just yet.

like ben got hit below the knee last week?

chisteeler
12-13-2011, 08:27 PM
^ Sad isn't it?

StlersGuy
12-13-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't agree with how Gordell handled this at all and all he did was over use his so called power.. Harrison yes he did lead with his head and should not have but he did not become a human missile like some say. Colt McCoy tucked the ball and at that point he was a runner however at the last second and only when he saw Harrison coming down on him he threw the pass all this only sec's apart so by then Harrison was already in attack mode. So what was he to do hurt himself to force himself to stop the tackle don't think he could even if he wanted to.

All this came down to is Gordell hates the Steelers and Harrison and he was out for blood he also wants to make this an SOFT NFL so he can take it to Europe where the so called ruff housing sport will not make it unless we play by FLAG football rules..

nuclearchihuahuas
12-13-2011, 08:56 PM
You're damn right he should appeal it. This is the NFL trying to make an example out of James. They have taken past offenses into play from last year. It's one thing to use past offenses in the same year but going back previous years is not right. He was a model NFL player so far until this and now you suspend him a full game for something this questionable?

RIDICULOUS!!!!

Could we get a "roger hatred" icon under the mood choice? :cursin:

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 10:08 PM

already suggested that yesterday lol! cant get here soon enough! the way roger fidel is heading the nfl, next thing you know, to sack tom brady you cant hit. hell, you cant even play two hand touche. you're gonna have to pull a tampon from between brady's legs. i am really HATING the new nfl. not exactly sure what i'm watching anymore, football or tennis....

StlersGuy
12-13-2011, 10:28 PM
The NFL is now call the NFFL...

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 10:53 PM
The NFL is now call the NFFL...

what exactly is the nfl nowadays? when i turn on a game, what am i watching? im not sure, maybe somebody here can help me. is it football? is it tennis? water polo? synchronized swimming? basket weaving? instructional videos on how to change tampons? BECAUSE I CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE ANYMORE..............

connecticutsteel
12-13-2011, 11:29 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d81b80962/Player-safety the safety vid sent to every team this has been changed since last year

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-13-2011, 11:34 PM

It's already there:bigfinger:goodbell. not

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2011, 11:34 PM
The suspension happened and there is nothing we can do about it....We can **** and moan all we want but lets just move on......I think its BS James was suspended also but man he is going to make sure he leads with his shoulder from now on......sucks but that is Goodell's NFL......

Steelers/PSU Fan
12-13-2011, 11:47 PM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/194/2086639095.jpg

LatrobePA
12-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Funny stuff!

Wasn't Ced Benson suspended but he kept appealing it and got to play then only serve a one game?

SnakeEyes43
12-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Just pathetic. And a real shame for the sport of football. I'd hate to see where the NFL is in ten years if ol' Roger is still running the show.

LatrobePA
12-14-2011, 10:15 AM
That's a chunk of change:

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Harrison restructured contract in August, taking his base salary down to $1,250,000. The pay cycle is 1/17th, therefore he'd be out $73,529.

Goodfrom55
12-14-2011, 10:25 AM
The more I think about this, I just wonder if Harrison would have blasted McCoy but instead, hit him with his shoulder, would there still have been a roughing penalty? As much as we hate to accept this, the reality is unless he stops leading with his helmet, he will continue getting fined or now that he has been suspended once, this is where ther bar is for him. I truly believe that Harrison will not be fined anymore, but any future "roughing" penalties on QB's will result in suspensions for him, which subsequently hurt the team.

LatrobePA
12-14-2011, 10:56 AM
James broke the new rules and he was suspended... Had he made a true football wrap up type tackle he'd been flagged but not suspended I bet..

The HTH hit is what killed him (and colt)..

dscola
12-14-2011, 10:59 AM
The more I think about this, I just wonder if Harrison would have blasted McCoy but instead, hit him with his shoulder, would there still have been a roughing penalty? As much as we hate to accept this, the reality is unless he stops leading with his helmet, he will continue getting fined or now that he has been suspended once, this is where ther bar is for him. I truly believe that Harrison will not be fined anymore, but any future "roughing" penalties on QB's will result in suspensions for him, which subsequently hurt the team.

I agree. And to continually go the defiant route instead of trying to adjust just adds fuel to the "He doesn't get it." parade.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2011, 11:19 AM
James Harrison has been suspended one game without pay by the NFL for his helmet-to-helmet collision with Colt McCoy, the NFL announced Tuesday (http://nflcommunications.com/2011/12/13/harrison-suspended-for-one-game-for-fifth-illegal-hit-against-a-quarterback-in-three-seasons/).

It is Harrison's fifth illegal hit against a QB in the past three seasons, according to the league. Harrison will lose $73,529, the equivalent of one week's paycheck. He plans to appeal the penalty, according to his agent.

The four-time all pro responded immediately to the announcement, tweeting, "Lol!!!"
He added, "Thank you to all my fans and supporters, I'm just going to move on from here and get ready for my next game."

In an interview with NFL Live, former Steelers RB Jerome Bettis said he spoke with Harrison and that he has no plans to change his play.

"He told me he can't" change, Bettis said.
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/12/12/harrx-inset-community.jpg (http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/12/12/harrx-large.jpg)

"He told me that it was laughable that this was the case — it wasn't a funny situation but it's laughable that he would get suspended over what he felt was a very, very small incident," Bettis said. "In his words, 'If I would have really hit him I would have close to knocked him out.'"Harrison said Monday he didn't think he should be suspended for the hit which sidelined the Cleveland Browns QB with a possible concussion. McCoy was scrambling towards the line of scrimmage when he released the ball to a nearby receiver and was promptly struck on the chin by the crown of Harrison's helmet.

"Well, he took off running with it, and at the last second he, like, chucked and ducked," Harrison said Monday.

Harrison was flagged for roughing the passer and McCoy would return, prompting criticism from his father over the Browns' handling of the injury. The Steelers went on to win 14-3.

Among readers polled today (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/12/steelers-olb-james-harrison-doesnt-expect-fine-or-suspension-for-hit-on-browns-qb-colt-mccoy/1), 46% of you said Harrison should be fined and suspended for the hit, while 26% said he did not deserve a penalty.
Harrison was fined $100,000 over the course of last season for illegal hits. The 33-year-old threatened to retire last season, admitting that he didn't know how to play football under the evolving rules.

Browns WR Josh Cribbs, recipient of one of Harrison's most-publicized KO's of 2010, said Monday he felt the McCoy hit was unnecessary.

"I feel like he didn't have to make that hit," said Cribbs, a former teammate of Harrison's at Kent State. "At the same time, I'm not commissioner or I don't have to make that call. We've got to heed to the rules of the game. I'm sure they'll find some type of way to penalize him."

Fellow Steelers LB James Farrior argued Monday that Harrison did not deserve a suspension.

"I just think it's an act of football," Farrior said, "I know it was an illegal hit, but it's within the framework of the game. It's not intentional. Sometimes stuff like that happens. We understand the penalty, we understand the rules, but it is a part of the game."

jpele
12-15-2011, 04:36 PM
On Wednesday, former NFL assistant coach (and UFL head coach) Ted Cottrell conducted the hearing on Steelers linebacker James Harrison’s appeal of his one-game suspension for the latest violation of the league’s rules regarding hits on defenseless players. Since the recent ruling on Ndamukong Suh’s appeal came a day after the hearing held by Hall of Famer and former head coach Art Shell, will the Harrison decision come today?

“Maybe today,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told PFT by email. “Maybe not. We’re on Ted Cottrell’s timetable.”

The Steelers begin practicing in earnest today for Monday night’s game against the 49ers. Harrison remains banished from the team until the suspension is overturned — or until it ends.

Meanwhile, the fact that Cottrell played linebacker in the NFL and coached defense in various cities could make him more sympathetic to Harrison’s case than Shell, a former offensive lineman, was to the guy who was suspended two games for stomping on (wait for it) an offensive lineman. The current linebacker surely argued to the former linebacker that the movement of Browns quarterback Colt McCoy toward the line of scrimmage, with ball tucked in his arm, led Harrison to believe McCoy was a runner.

Though that doesn’t change the fact that Harrison’s hit was illegal and merits punishment, given that a quarterback who throws on the run still cannot be struck in the head or facem it could cause Cottrell to conclude that the NFL’s system of progressive discipline requires something less severe than a suspension at this time. For example, Cottrell could decide to simply fine Harrison a game check ($73,500), triggering the financial penalty of a suspension without hurting Harrison’s team.

Last year, the league imposed gross fines on Harrison of $125,000. Via the appeal process, however, the fines were reduced to $57,500.

Thus, despite complaints from guys like Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark, the appeal process hardly is futile. So don’t be shocked if Cottrell disagrees with the league office that the time has come to make Harrison miss a game.

ProFootballTalk

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Most of us aren't holding out any hope that Harrison will get to play. Even if it is overturned at the last minute it's not like Harrison needs a weeks worth of practice to get ready.

Never say never though...

connecticutsteel
12-16-2011, 03:45 AM
guess what no fine for Phil Taylor's forearm shiver to the side of ben's head that's ****ed up

JensK
12-16-2011, 07:25 AM
guess what no fine for Phil Taylor's forearm shiver to the side of ben's head that's ****ed up

There should prety much be a penalty everytime Big Ben gets sacked simply by the NFLs lovely rule: Unprotected QB. Sounds pretty much like Big Ben the past few years :lol:

DIESELMAN
12-16-2011, 12:06 PM
NEW YORK -- The NFL has denied James Harrison's appeal of a one-game suspension for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy, and the Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker will sit out Monday night's game against San Francisco.

The ruling was made by NFL-NFLPA on-field appeals officer Ted Cottrell and announced Friday.

Harrison was suspended Tuesday because of the hit to McCoy during the Steelers' win over the Browns on Dec. 8. McCoy suffered a concussion.

The NFL cited Harrison's history of flagrant hits -- this was his fifth on a quarterback -- in making him the first player suspended under stricter guidelines for player safety that were invoked midway through last season. This is no surprise.....

DIESELMAN
12-16-2011, 12:09 PM

He did get fined for a late hit.....

Cleveland Browns DL Phil Taylor was fined $15,000 for a late hit in Week 14 against the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to a league source.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't know why the NFL even bothers to have an appeals process. The panel is paid partly by the players union and by the NFL. The fact that they answer to Roger Goodell is enough reason to for the players to have no hope for anything to go their way.

Sure occasionally a fine will get reduced slightly but that's not exactly an every day occurence either.

JensK
12-16-2011, 12:52 PM
I don't know why the NFL even bothers to have an appeals process. The panel is paid partly by the players union and by the NFL. The fact that they answer to Roger Goodell is enough reason to for the players to have no hope for anything to go their way.

Sure occasionally a fine will get reduced slightly but that's not exactly an every day occurence either.

Nor is it relevant. Its not really the fines as such which hurts a lot on most of this players, more than the suspensions.

jpele
12-16-2011, 02:01 PM
I really believe James needs to start punching opponents in the face like Richard Seymore does, the punishment is less sever.

How can they justify the suspension ?

Seymore has been ejected from 3 games for punching players yet no suspension and his fine total is far below what Harrison has paid.

steelersbabex25
12-16-2011, 10:35 PM

Seems like it's kind of the same reason the colleges have an appeals process. Pretty much the same circumstances in that if you get rejected from a college and appeal the decision, the chances of it being reversed is extremely slim. If a player gets fined/suspended and appeals it, the chances of that decision being reversed are slim also. The only reason I can think of to have an appeal process would be that the league feels like it has to have one, in case the player can come up with some extra information as to why they shouldn't be punished.

If that made any sense...

LatrobePA
12-17-2011, 01:02 PM
You gotta love 92's new tweet:

17 games,1000+ snaps, 100+ tackles, 12+sacks and 2 forces fumbles since my last incident and I get a suspension for a football play!

Ravens1
12-17-2011, 08:22 PM
You gotta love 92's new tweet:

17 games,1000+ snaps, 100+ tackles, 12+sacks and 2 forces fumbles since my last incident and I get a suspension for a football play!

It he was dense enough to tweet that, he has more trouble coming.

DIESELMAN
12-17-2011, 08:27 PM

I seriously doubt he has "more trouble coming his way" because of what he tweeted. Seriously, get a grip dude.....

LatrobePA
12-17-2011, 10:57 PM

Dude go back to sucking on your chocolate candy cane while dreaming of Ray Ray Lewis you fn idiot!

coldrolled
12-18-2011, 09:24 AM
heres some more

Though Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison did not have a stake in Saturday night's game between the Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the recently suspended defender found reason to protest one play.

With two minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, Cowboys safety Abram Elam lowered his shoulder into the chest of Buccaneers wide receiver Micheal Spurlock as the ball sailed by. No penalty was called on the play.

Harrison, whose one-game suspension for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy was upheld Friday, took to Twitter to voice his displeasure with the lack of a penalty.

"Wow! I guess it is just us!" Harrison tweeted after the hit.

Fellow Steelers linebacker James Farrior chimed in to say the same

LatrobePA
12-18-2011, 12:17 PM
LMAO!!

Clevelandsux
12-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Hey James is going to have to alter his play. Love the guy, but he isn't helping the team or himself by being suspended and fined. James cannot win vs the commish. just play by the rules james, and stay cool.

LatrobePA
12-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Watching the cinci game, 2 HTH on the QB no flags, the refs are so damn inconsistent..

jpele
12-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Watching the cinci game, 2 HTH on the QB no flags, the refs are so damn inconsistent..

Harrison was correct , it's only the steelers. The fix is in.

Nolrog
12-18-2011, 05:41 PM

That's my biggest complaint. If it's a penalty, fine, then call it against everyone. There are a lot of selective calls in the NFL right now.

Even the incidental contact down field is very inconsistent. Saw one in the giant game where the receiver tripped himself, and they called PI against the corner.

Clevelandsux
12-18-2011, 06:19 PM
That's my biggest complaint. If it's a penalty, fine, then call it against everyone. There are a lot of selective calls in the NFL right now.

Even the incidental contact down field is very inconsistent. Saw one in the giant game where the receiver tripped himself, and they called PI against the corner.

Agreed. Needs to be consistant. Ray Lewis wasn't even penalized when he hit Ward helmet to helmet.