PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith and 49ers offense are tough, but not unbeatable

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2011, 01:03 PM
I've been looking at some stats on 49ers QB Alex Smith and how the Steelers rattle him and possibly create some turnovers.

To his credit he is very efficient and workmanlike. He's not going to light up the stat sheet because the 49ers don't ask him too. He generally throws for right around 200 yds per game with very safe, productive, passes.

15 TD's. 5 INT's. 2,565 yds. with a 91.5 QB rating overall. The key is with Smith is get in his face and not let him get set. If you can pressure him he'll make some mistakes. If you sit back and let him pass all day he can potentially pick you apart. The Steelers secondary is playing well this year so I don't have a concern with them being able to cover the 49ers receivers. Their tight ends would be more of a concern than any of their receivers. Davis and Walker both can be killers to a defense so I suspect Dick Lebeau will use a similar package that he did against the Patriots where he takes out Ryan Clark in favor of Cortez Allen or Curtis Brown.

The big key though, stop Frank Gore and make Alex Smith beat you. If you get Gore get a head of steam and into a groove that crowd will get excited and you'll make it that much harder on yourself. Gore has 234 carries for 1,054 yds., a healthy 4.5 ypc and 6 TD's on the season. He had a stretch earlier in the year where he had 5 straight 100+ yd games but hasn't had one since week 9.

The 3 games they've lost this year were to Dallas, Baltimore, and Arizona. The teams they've beaten include the Seahawks, Bengals, Eagles, Bucs, Detroit, Cleveland, Washington, and the Giants. Some good teams, some not so good, and some pretenders.

All in all for everything good that the 49ers are, they are unbeatable. Just ask the Cardinals...

LatrobePA
12-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Alex Smith is a back up QB at best!

The Cards made them look like the 2010 niners...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2011, 01:31 PM
They win a lot of close games, by an average of 10 points or less. They've had a few blowout win against the Rams, Cards earlier this year, and Tampa Bay. All 3 teams going nowhere this post season except for maybe Arizona who could sneak in and just beat them last night.

mwittman5
12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Their offense is terrible. Seems like they are getting 4-5 field goals a game and that's it. I have Akers on my fantasy team and every week he gets 4-5 FG's with no extra point attempts.

K Train
12-12-2011, 01:56 PM
alex smith and the 49ers offense is nothing to worry about. its their stingy *** defense.

coldrolled
12-12-2011, 02:05 PM
how are the 49er injuries right now?

harpo
12-12-2011, 02:09 PM
how are the 49er injuries right now?

Patrick Willis was out on yesterday. Not sure about his status for next Monday night's game.

If the Steelers stop Gore and don't commit (or limit) turnovers, they should win the game.
Also, San Fran has the worst red zone offense in the NFL right now.

Farrior Fan
12-12-2011, 02:18 PM
it would be a damn shame if Willis missed the game vs. us.

He is awesome and if he does play will make it much tougher to win. I still think our D totally shuts down their O. If we can score 17+ we should win.

LatrobePA
12-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Also, San Fran has the worst red zone offense in the NFL right now.

As bad as ours?

harpo
12-12-2011, 03:12 PM
As bad as ours?

LOL:lol:.....they're the worst in the NFL.

Troyisabeast_43
12-12-2011, 03:13 PM
I agree if the Steelers shut down Gore and hold the Niners to FG's they should have no problem walking out of San Fran with a win...

LatrobePA
12-12-2011, 03:14 PM
LOL:lol:.....they're the worst in the NFL.

Sorry I had to! lol

coldrolled
12-13-2011, 06:52 AM
The San Francisco 49ers' list of worries continues to grow after Sunday's 21-19 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

Frank Gore's status is uncertain for this Monday night's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers after coach Jim Harbaugh was cryptic about his star running back's health.

Gore had 10 carries for 72 yards and was virtually absent in the second half against the Cardinals after scoring a 37-yard touchdown early in the third quarter. When asked why Gore didn't play more late in the game, Harbaugh said Monday, "I don't have an answer for you."

"He's got some (health) things," Harbaugh said. "He's not 100 percent. We have other backs that got carries in the second half.”

Kendall Hunter had eight carries for 20 yards Sunday in relief of Gore, who has been listed on injury reports throughout the season with ankle and knee problems.

papabaier
12-13-2011, 01:00 PM
49's have very good run dee - I'm sure BA's gameplan will be running up the middle!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2011, 08:26 PM
As long as Woodley plays we should be able to get a decent pass rush and allow Smith to sit back there all day. I'd rather have Timmons in the middle of the defense at his normal post to help defend against the tight ends. If he has to play outside for Woodley then we'll be extremely vulnerable to those short passes in the flat and the intermediate routes.

CowherPower
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
If Frank Gore doesn't play for some reason that will make things a helluva a lot easier on the Steelers defense. Stopping the run won't be as much of a problem. I have a feeling though that unless Gore is really that bad, he will find a way to play.

connecticutsteel
12-16-2011, 12:51 PM
For some reason this game doesn't jump out as a difficult one for us to win their secondary isn't that scary if we can contain gore we will win we are better in every phase. our reserves are better than most teams starters think about it? McFadden,Slyvester,Brown,Cotchery,Essex,Moore,Wori lds,Carter.....ETC

DIESELMAN
12-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Their D has had a lot of success with their pass rush, especially when they rush 5+. They have a big DL, so running up the middle might not be a smart idea (that's a hint BA). Our biggest keys to winning are, keep Ben safe, go deep, SF has a good handle on the short passes. Willis, if he plays and Bowman are a damn good tandem in the middle. I think SF's D is ranked 18th vs the pass. BA needs to find a way to be imaginative with his play calling, no 4 straight runs up the middle.