PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace can still eclipse Yancy Thigpen's record

CowherPower
12-11-2011, 12:21 AM
It's going to be close with only 3 games left but Mike Wallace can still surpass the Yancy as the all time Steelers leader in yardage for a season. Thigpen's record is 1,398 yds. set back in 1997. That's a blast from the past, I remember watching Thigpen have that breakout year and really shock the NFL by becoming such a big play threat. As I recall the Steelers hadn't had such a player at WR since Louis Lipps.

Personally I think it's going to be close but he's probably not quite going to make it. It will be tough sledding next Monday night at San Fran. He can put up big numbers against Cleveland and St. Louis but they would have all be 100+ yd games atleast.

Check out the article below (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_771477.html)

A knock on the door led her to a youth football coach holding her injured son. For Sonjia Wallace, it also slammed shut a different door.

There would be no more football for her son, not after someone had stepped on his eye, leaving it swollen and in need of medical care.

It took several trips to the doctor to fix the eye. It also took years before Wallace allowed her son to play organized football again. When she finally relented, she told him, "OK, Michael, you can play, but you make sure you run. Don't let nobody catch you."

Mike Wallace has done his best to follow through on an impossible mandate from his nervous mother. And if his sublime speed gets the New Orleans native where he ultimately wants to go, that anecdote may well become part of Wallace's lore.

In his third NFL season, the Steelers receiver has established himself as one of the NFL's premier big-play threats.

Wallace on Thursday night eclipsed 1,000 yards receiving for the second consecutive season, and he already has a dozen 100-yard receiving games to his credit. Hall of Famer John Stallworth had 25 such games during a 14-year Steelers career.

Wallace has everyone's attention on the field. His blistering early-season pace has slowed -- he has gone six consecutive games without going over 100 yards receiving -- but the 6-foot, 199-pounder still has an outside shot at Yancey Thigpen's franchise record for receiving yards in a season (1,398 in 1997).

"I believe we're watching something special," said quarterback Byron Leftwich, who is on injured reserve with a broken arm but is still a regular presence at the Steelers' South Side headquarters. "I believe when all's said and done, he'll go down as one of the best ever from a numbers standpoint. People don't even call him one of the top 10 wide receivers in this league, but he's got a chance to have better numbers than a lot of people."

There are 10 players whose statistics Wallace checks regularly. They are the receivers taken ahead of him in the 2009 NFL Draft. That teams passed over him for more than two rounds stokes Wallace's inner embers.

Asked if he doesn't get his due, Wallace shrugged and smiled.

"I think we're public enemy No. 1. People want us to fail, but we're going to keep pushing," he said. "People don't have to tell us we're good. We know we're good. The world will find out eventually when we hold up that Lombardi (Trophy)."

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Good old Yancey, man he came out of nowhere for sure. It was so nice to have a big play receiver in the offense again. Then he left for Tennessee and found out what most of the former Steelers that go elsewhere come to realize; it isn't always greener on the other side of the fench.

It's going to take a monumental effort for him to reach that goal this season, with only 3 games left even against lesser teams like the Browns and Rams. I think he's probably going to come up short too but it's still going to be a great season for him.

LarryNJ
12-12-2011, 07:19 PM
A far cry from the 2000 yards some suggested he would get. A very good season for Mike but there probably will be better ones to come.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2011, 07:34 PM
A far cry from the 2000 yards some suggested he would get. A very good season for Mike but there probably will be better ones to come.

Mike Wallace was the one who predicted 2000 yards for himself....lol

Goodfrom55
12-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Nothing wrong with setting goals slighty out of reach to chalenge yourself. His best days are ahead.

Nolrog
12-13-2011, 06:30 AM
He'd have had a decent shot, I think, if the line was better and could give Ben some time and BA was remotely intelligent and took advantage of the defense better to open up deep routes.

TampaSteelGirl
12-13-2011, 12:03 PM
I loved Yancey!!! :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2011, 04:57 PM
I loved Yancey!!! :tt02:

I went to a game in 97 and the Steelers blew out the Ratbirds 37 or 38 to 0.....
But Yancey caught a 50+ TD from Kordell...it was awesome....