PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey could be worse off than Ben with his ankle sprain

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2011, 05:34 PM
It's only 2 days after the Steelers walking wounded left Heinz Field victorious but beaten up. Big Ben & Maurkice Poucey both have high ankle sprains; neither is a grade 3 though fortunately.

Either way, Ben could still play but Maurkice could be the more unlikely of the two considering he plays Center and goes up against 300 plus pound giants and needs to brace himself every play to hold off the pass rush and open up run lanes. If he doesn't play, that of course affects the rest of the line. Legursky will be back at Center and I hope to God that atleast Trai Essex is at Left Guard. He's not exactly a pro bowler but he's not as prone to holds, personal fouls, and false starts like Big Juicy is.

Excerpt from the Post Gazette; (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11344/1195956-66-0.stm#ixzz1gAZXrt5i)Pouncey never returned after he was injured in the second quarter.
High-ankle sprains typically sideline players for two to three weeks, depending on their severity. But that is not always the case.

Doctors always have maintained that players who have a second high-ankle sprain heal faster and return quicker than players who have suffered one for the first time.
Last year, for example, offensive tackle Flozell Adams had a high-ankle sprain that forced him from a game, but he returned to play the following week because it was not the first time his ankle had that type of injury.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I love Pouncey but the dude is a china doll......He is always hurting dating back to the AFC title game last year......

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2011, 01:07 AM
That ankle he hurt in the AFCCG was just a killer. Legursky played admirably, I give him all the props in the world for stepping into such a pressure situation. You have to think though that if Pouncey was there, Ben doesn't get that pressure in his face and toss that INT. :evilshake:

He's going to have problems with it all year long, it won't be fully healed until the offseason and then we have to keep our fingers crossed that he doesn't hurt it again next year.

If he can't play though, I worry about Legursky at Center mainly because he's gone from LG so you have even more backups in there trying to stop that 49ers pass rush.

LatrobePA
12-11-2011, 10:47 AM
53 is going to be out a while. Legs can get the job done but don't expect him to do too much...

coldrolled
12-11-2011, 11:43 AM
We need to draft a 1st or 2nd round c/g in 2012

Troyisabeast_43
12-12-2011, 08:43 AM
What's worse is it means that Kemo is most likely going to keep starting at Left guard so you can look forward to more untimely stupid penalties from number 68...

Raleigh Steel
12-12-2011, 11:32 AM
That ankle he hurt in the AFCCG was just a killer. Legursky played admirably, I give him all the props in the world for stepping into such a pressure situation. You have to think though that if Pouncey was there, Ben doesn't get that pressure in his face and toss that INT. :evilshake:

unless pouncey didn't have to block his guy and give help to kemolardass, that pick was still gonna happen.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Legs can do the job at Center, he's not spectacular and will occasionally get beat but he's a better Center than the Steelers have had for years before Pouncey got here. Kemoeatu playing at LG is more of a concern obviously.

It's hard to watch him with how bad he's playing this year. I know the knee is not helping matters any but he's just not pulling like used too and even in run blocking where he stays in position he's getting blown up.

mwittman5
12-12-2011, 02:44 PM
https://twitter.com/#/ScottBrown_Trib/status/146292399403040768

Pouncey says he will play in San Francisco. Says this high ankle sprain isn't as severe as one that sidelined him for the Super Bowl.

LatrobePA
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Pouncey says he will play
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Posted 26 minutes ago

a a Center Maurkice Pouncey said that he will play against the San Francisco 49ers on Monday night and he also expects quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to be out there with him.

Pouncey and Roethlisberger both suffered high ankle sprains in the Browns game on Thursday night, with Roethlisberger returning to action after halftime.

"I am fine. We`re both fine," said Pouncey after practice on Monday. "We`ll be alright to go on Monday Night Football. We are both fine. We are going day-by-day and taking precautions. We will be fine.”

Pouncey said he has been resting the ankle since the game and it has definitely improved.

“It’s a lot better than Thursday,” said Pouncey, who wore a boot the first few days. “It isn’t as swelled up. It just needs the right rest and rehab. I am fine. I am just going day-to-day and resting it.”

Pouncey suffered the same injury late last season and missed Super Bowl XLV. He insists this time the injury isn’t as bad and it won’t sideline him.

“I am going to play, play, play,” said Pouncey. “It`s a lot better that I hurt it last year so now it can heal a lot quicker. After it breaks up the calcium that is in there helps it heal better after you tweak it the first time.

“I am playing, I will be fine.”

Roethlisberger did not address his injury on Monday, but other teammates also think he will play.

“I never doubt that,” said tackle Max Starks. “I think as we go through the week we will figure it out. He is a tough dude and it’s a big time game. It wouldn’t surprise me.

“You look at what he went through to get back to the game. You give him some time off and hopefully it might get a little bit better or get him some special shoe to wear. It’s a possibility, but as with anything else we will prepare as if Charlie (Batch) is going to play. If (Ben) is allowed to play and he feels good enough, we are more than happy to have him.”

coldrolled
12-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Pouncey and Roethlisberger were both diagnosed with Grade 1 ankle sprains against the Browns, though Pouncey didn't return to the game. Pouncey aggravated the same injury that kept him out of February's Super Bowl loss to Green Bay but he said this one is not as serious.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't expect to see Pouncey or Ben practice at all this week. No reason to make any of them do anything other than just rest and rehab until they absolutely have to suit up.

I'll be anxious to see the injury report that comes out on Thursday. I suspect everyone will be just listed as questionable and if I'm the Steelers I give out as little information as possible.

LatrobePA
12-14-2011, 11:27 AM
This team always sucks after a week off, and now with so many injuries how do you guys / gals think they'll come out Monday??