PDA

View Full Version : If Ben can stand the pain, should he play vs 49ers?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2011, 01:22 AM
The following article from the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Roethlisberger%27s%20pain%20tolerance%20could%20de termine%20status%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_771352.html#ixzz1g6cvJUpF) talk about how if Ben can stand the pain, he might be able to play next Monday night against the 49ers. Ben's toughness is legendary; there's no better than he is at playing through pain in the league. If he can be out there he's going to be out there come hell or high water.

If the Steelers are going to beat the 49ers, Ben is going to need to play. Having said that, should he play even if he says he can go? San Francisco will be aggressive in their pass rush and will come after Ben with everything they have. The Browns chose not to blitz very much in the 2nd half, why although nobody can justify, but the Steelers next opponent most certainly will.

Is it worth risking Ben's ankle the rest of the season and post season for this game? If you don't play him, you still have a chance if the Steelers play great defense, get the run game going, and make some plays on special teams. Basically everyone has to step up and they certainly could rise to the occasion. Be that as it may, there is a decision to be made later next week as to whether he'll go or not.

An MRI taken Friday confirmed that Ben Roethlisberger sustained a high-ankle sprain in the Steelers' 14-3 win over the Browns.

The Steelers' quarterback is in a walking boot -- and in a considerable amount of pain -- after getting his left foot folded under his leg Thursday night.

Roethlisberger played the entire second half after suffering a ghastly looking injury, and that was telling to Dr. James Gladstone.

"It either means it's not that severe a sprain, or he's just a remarkably tough guy," said Gladstone, the co-chief of sports medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York.

The latter is not in question, not after Roethlisberger completed 8 of 12 passes for 178 yards and a touchdown in the second half and then was barely able to walk after the game.

Roethlisberger received one of the biggest scares of his career after getting sacked by Browns defensive tackle Scott Paxson. The resulting injury raises serious questions about whether the two-time Super Bowl winner will be able to play Dec. 19 when the Steelers visit the San Francisco 49ers.

Low-ankle sprains are more manageable than high-ankle sprains, Gladstone said, because the injured ankle can be taped and generally prevented from rolling. High-ankle sprains, Gladstone, are actually more like lower leg injures.

Center Maurkice Pouncey didn't play in the Super Bowl last season after sustaining a high-ankle sprain two weeks earlier in the AFC Championship Game.

Like Roethlisberger, Pouncey suffered a high-ankle sprain last Thursday night, putting his availability for the Steelers' next game in question.

The Steelers get extra time to rest; they have 11 days off before their next game. High-ankle sprains, however, can take months to fully heal, Gladstone said.
Roethlisberger surprised his teammates -- and even himself to a degree -- by making it through the entire second half against the Browns.

"I really couldn't drop back to pass and really couldn't step into my throws," said Roethlisberger, who nevertheless finished with his highest passer rating (129.6) of the season. "The plan on my part was basically to give it one or two more plays and see how I could do it. It wasn't for any other reason than to be out there for my guys."
There were plenty of testimonials to Roethlisberger's toughness in the Steelers locker room after the team had held off the Browns.

"I told him I'm happy to be his teammate," said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who caught an 11-yard touchdown pass from Roethlisberger before the latter got hurt. "He's a warrior in every sense. He's going to go out there and lay it on the line for his teammates."

Steelers/PSU Fan
12-10-2011, 04:29 AM
I think it's simple, if Chargers beat Ravens, play everybody we can against the 49ers to win. If Ravens win, then just rest people against 49ers since it won't matter if we win or not.

connecticutsteel
12-10-2011, 05:09 AM
I think the Ravens lose this week Orlovsky is much better than painter if they can contain rice and get some pressure 0n flako it's possible they lost to seattle and jax

Raleigh Steel
12-10-2011, 07:16 AM
i say sit ben for this one. i'd rather have him closer to 100% for the playoffs. we can win 3 straight on the road, i have not doubt about that. but if he were to injure himself worse, or end his season, we would be finished.

besides, if you give batch and dixon all the reps for the next week, we could still beat SF. they are good, but our defense can shut them down and keep it close and we could steal one on the coast.

steelersbabex25
12-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Not only should he play, I'm fairly certain that he won't allow himself to sit. He knows the importance of every game until the end of the season. Ravens could lose any week.

coldrolled
12-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Read this again:

"I really couldn't drop back to pass and really couldn't step into my throws," said Roethlisberger, who nevertheless finished with his highest passer rating (129.6) of the season. "The plan on my part was basically to give it one or two more plays and see how I could do it.

Short quick plays, quick drop, no running around, no sacks. Slants, Cut Back routes, Cross Routes and pound the rock. Arians... Can you see the Game Plan being designed for you.
Probably not... This proves our OC is a moron... Ben plays better with one leg, arians has to conform to it.

LarryNJ
12-10-2011, 09:54 AM
If he can play without further damaging it yes he should play.With Charlie we have very little chance to win, if we had a half decent back up than I'd say sit and heal.

LatrobePA
12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Plan B(atch) wasn't an option the other night. Maybe Dixon should dress next week and get some reps all week..

Ravens1
12-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Most high ankle sprains are initially treated with a walking boot or even a cast. The decision to use either a walking boot or cast depends on the severity of the injury and the preference of the treating physician. Both devices will restrict motion of the ankle as well as motion between the tibia and fibula, allowing the injured ligaments to heal. Again, it is important that injured individuals be informed that these injures take roughly twice as long to heal as lateral ankle sprains. In one large study, the average recovery time for these injuries was more than 40 days. As such, physical therapy may not be initiated for several weeks.

Let's see if Ben continuing to play on his injured ankle has cost his abilility to play against the 49ers. Or lets see if he jeapordizes his football and lifetime future by continuing to play on it agains San Fran. Either way one well placed good legal hit by a defense that can sack him will do it.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Most high ankle sprains are initially treated with a walking boot or even a cast. The decision to use either a walking boot or cast depends on the severity of the injury and the preference of the treating physician. Both devices will restrict motion of the ankle as well as motion between the tibia and fibula, allowing the injured ligaments to heal. Again, it is important that injured individuals be informed that these injures take roughly twice as long to heal as lateral ankle sprains. In one large study, the average recovery time for these injuries was more than 40 days. As such, physical therapy may not be initiated for several weeks.

Let's see if Ben continuing to play on his injured ankle has cost his abilility to play against the 49ers. Or lets see if he jeapordizes his football and lifetime future by continuing to play on it agains San Fran. Either way one well placed good legal hit by a defense that can sack him will do it.

I don't blame you for being worried about the Ravens facing Ben and the Steelers again....I know you're praying he gets hurt for the season.......

Ravens1
12-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Actually, I hope we do play you. We always get a couple of sacks. Would love it to be us that ends his season and bagels you 3-0 for the year...you the proponents of smash mouth football. Bring it on.:clap:

steelersbabex25
12-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Actually, I hope we do play you. We always get a couple of sacks. Would love it to be us that ends his season and bagels you 3-0 for the year...you the proponents of smash mouth football. Bring it on.:clap:

Last time the Ravens beat the Steelers 3 times in a season...:thinking:

Never.

DIESELMAN
12-10-2011, 01:58 PM
The one bright side to Bens injury is, it's not a grade 3 sprain, which is the most serious. Whether he should play against SF depends on a lot of factors. How well he responds to treatment. How mobile he can be during practice, if and when he practices. Whether the Rat turds win or lose, it's still the NFL, anything can happen on any given Sunday. Ben has 8 more days to heal up, he's one of the most resilient players in the NFL and he has surprised a lot of people in his career already. I wouldn't count Ben out until game time, and I wouldn't count on him being immobile come game time. Be careful what you wish for Ratturd1, you'll get that and a whole lot more.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

Big T
12-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Says the guy who told us we'd get smashed by the Bengals last week :clap:

Clevelandsux
12-10-2011, 03:52 PM
absolutely. we need every game.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Has the Ravens ever beat the Steelers in the play-offs?...nope Yea the Ravens with Flacco finally got over the Steelers regular season hump........Have to prove it in the play-offs next......The 2nd game could have gone either way this year.....The first game the Ravens kicked the Steelers asses no doubt....If they meet a third time in the play-offs I like the Steelers chances in a close game......

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm on the fence on this one; I want to see Ben play because without him our chances of winning are severely diminished. However if he plays and gets beat up how will he be the rest of the way out when there's 2 afc games left and then having to potentially play on opening weekend of the post season.

Knowing Ben, he could make a monster recovery over the next week and be feel pretty decent. Either way Charlie will get a lot of snaps in practice.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-10-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm on the fence on this one; I want to see Ben play because without him our chances of winning are severely diminished. However if he plays and gets beat up how will he be the rest of the way out when there's 2 afc games left and then having to potentially play on opening weekend of the post season.

Knowing Ben, he could make a monster recovery over the next week and be feel pretty decent. Either way Charlie will get a lot of snaps in practice.

Ben plays until the games are meaningless......:yellowthumb:

Real Deal Steel
12-10-2011, 10:25 PM
We need to go all out regardless. Ravens may very well lose to the Chargers so we need to win to move to the top seed in the AFC.

If Ravens win, then we need to win to keep our wildcard spot. We need to go ALL OUT regardless.

StillersSound
12-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Assuming they can even go. You have to sit Ben, Pouncey, and Woodley... right? Yeah, the last week the Ravens play the Bengals and the Bengals might need a win to get into the playoffs but do we really want to place our faith in them? Is it really worth rushing players out there in the hope the Bengals beat the Ravens?

The scheduling has been great to the Steelers. They could rest some key players during the San Fran game and who knows maybe Batch can beat them.. Alex Smith is winning games so who knows. Then go out and beat the Rams and use that game to get ready for the playoffs and then rest players during the Browns game because they will be a lock for 5th regardless. They wouldn't even need the 1st week bye with the way things are going. Yeah, home field would be great but the Steelers historically play better as the underdogs on the road.

And oh yeah, they should inform Godell of their plans so he can take the necessary precautions so the Steelers want to go out there and win that game :greengrin:

LatrobePA
12-11-2011, 10:39 AM
No way!

If he can go he goes, Batch isn't winning us too many games.

Cinci has to win out and could beat them at home..

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Ummm no....San Fran doesn't blitz too much so I'm not to worried about Ben. Why would we sit him though?? This could be our shot to win the AFCN

LevonKirkland99
12-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Very interesting analogy, but I think Ben should play if he wants to go.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Still some time before the 49ers game...I want to see how Ben progresses injury wise and I bet even though he will be far form 100% and probably will be a great deal of pain but Ben will heal enough and feel good enough to play against the 49ers......My bigger worry is Woodley really and I think having him back will boost the defense.....I'm confident in the defense with Woodley and Harrison on the field to win the game vs the 49ers especially if Ben can only pass the ball 15-20 times......

LevonKirkland99
12-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Still some time before the 49ers game...I want to see how Ben progresses injury wise and I bet even though he will be far form 100% and probably will be a great deal of pain but Ben will heal enough and feel good enough to play against the 49ers......My bigger worry is Woodley really and I think having him back will boost the defense.....I'm confident in the defense with Woodley and Harrison on the field to win the game vs the 49ers especially if Ben can only pass the ball 15-20 times......

This is Ben's 1st HA sprain and they're saying it usually takes more weeks to heal for people who had it for the first time. Woodley is also a factor since we haven't heard his injury status. Then Harrisoon who may get suspended according to the talking heads at espn.

So if Woodley and Harrisson are out in SF we're in trouble. Maybe Batch will step up for at least one game?

StillersSound
12-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Ummm no....San Fran doesn't blitz too much so I'm not to worried about Ben. Why would we sit him though?? This could be our shot to win the AFCN

Winning the AFC is more important then being healthy in the playoffs? Lets not be Caps fans.

Black&Gold Munch
12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't know how in the world Ben came back out after that ugly injury! I came home from work just after it happened, so I used to the dvr to rewind to watch it a few times..OUCH! I thought for sure he was DONE with a broken leg.

At this point I say play him if he can play; it's getting down to crunch time. You need every available body on the field.

chisteeler
12-11-2011, 10:55 PM
It obviously comes down to the player and how much pain he can endure. If Ben can go, then I say, let him go, but he needs to understand his importance to the team and communicate any discomfort that could prevent him from playing in the playoffs. I'm not so much worried about Ben's situation as I am about how BA approaches the game plan with a gimpy QB. We'll just have to cross our fingers and see what happens.

steelspikes
12-14-2011, 06:38 PM
If Ratbirds lose to Bolts, wouldn't mind seeing Batch and Dixon split QB duty, the later being a good run threat. I think it was just a couple yrs. ago that we almost beat the Ratbirds with Dixon. If Ratbirds win on Sunday, would prefer to see Ben rest & be in top shape for playoffs. Ratbirds are not likely to stumble the rest of the way, even though San Diego is desperate. Cincy will likely be eliminated by week 17, as Jets will likely have #6 seed secured by then.

coldrolled
12-15-2011, 08:16 AM
if the ravens lose, everyone will take a shot for the pain and play... is chris carter better.. we may need him too.

LatrobePA
12-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Associated Press More Columns
PITTSBURGH -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said his sprained left ankle feels better, but he's still not certain when he'll return to practice.

Roethlisberger planned to spend most of Thursday in treatment hoping he sees enough improvement over the next two days to practice sometime before the Steelers play Monday night at San Francisco.

The quarterback suffered the sprain during the second quarter of last Thursday night's 14-3 victory over the Cleveland Browns. He missed two series but played the entire second half. He said he's not quite sure how he did it, giving most of the credit for his performance to adrenaline.

Roethlisberger has been wearing a walking boot for the last week. He can take it off for short periods but said doctors have advised him to avoid certain movements.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm perfectly fine with Ben not practicing right up until Sunday or Monday. Let him sit and rest as much as he can. Ben is usually the type of QB that needs to continuous reps in the practice to stay sharp but in a case like this, take no chances and keep him off that unless he's in some type of treatment.