PDA

View Full Version : Harrison's Hit and The Whining That Ensues...

SteelDad
12-09-2011, 01:12 PM
OMG! Here is the link to profootballtalk.com's article about why this is a gray area kind of play. Just go to the comments and read what these idiots say. For the record, it was helmet-to-helmet and James knows it. With that said, I didn't think he was intending to hurt McCoy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/09/harrisons-hit-on-mccoy-could-fall-into-gray-area-of-ruleboo/

Clevelandsux
12-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Let me guess, most of them are Browns fans? The same people jumping up and down when Ben got hurt.

LatrobePA
12-09-2011, 01:27 PM
What about the puss that went low on Ben after he came back?

A lot of talk saying it'll be a 1 game suspension...

Rampage
12-09-2011, 01:30 PM
This is just going to be part of the game for Harrison now. If he makes a hit that looks hard, late or high, then he is going to get fined. He is a marked man and that's how it goes. That was definitely a helmet to helmet hit, so he'll hear from the league. I wouldn't be shocked to see a one game suspension, but anymore than that and I would be pissed.

DIESELMAN
12-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Yes it was helmet to helmet and yes James will get a hefty fine and probably a suspension. The thing that kills me about all this and the media and other fans won't discuss, is, after that hit McCoy took, why was he out there after only 2 plays? It's obvious he got his bell rung pretty hard and he had to have had concussion like symptoms, why was he allowed to go back in? During the press conference after the game, the media was asked to turn off their camera lights when McCoy was answering questions. There should be bigger outrage at the Cleveland coaching staff in how they handled McCoys safety and health.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

Rampage
12-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes it was helmet to helmet and yes James will get a hefty fine and probably a suspension. The thing that kills me about all this and the media and other fans won't discuss, is, after that hit McCoy took, why was he out there after only 2 plays? It's obvious he got his bell rung pretty hard and he had to have had concussion like symptoms, why was he allowed to go back in? During the press conference after the game, the media was asked to turn off their camera lights when McCoy was answering questions. There should be bigger outrage at the Cleveland coaching staff in how they handled McCoys safety and health.

True. After Polamalu gets taken out of a game I see reports all over about the Steelers hiding behind concussion like symptoms and stingers, but the Browns let McCoy back out and there's nothing. Okay.

LatrobePA
12-09-2011, 02:01 PM
In the aftermath of the Cleveland Browns' Thursday night loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, much of the postgame talk in the visiting locker room did not center on the game's outcome, but instead, the vicious fourth-quarter helmet-to-helmet hit Steelers linebacker James Harrison administered to quarterback Colt McCoy.

McCoy, who returned two plays after going down, told reporters that he did not remember the hit. According to McCoy's dad, however, the second-year quarterback's mental state was far worse than he originally let on.

"I talked to Colt this morning and he said, 'Dad, I don't know what happened, but I know I lost the game. I know I let the team down. What happened?' " Brad McCoy told The Plain Dealer on Friday.

Brad, who coached his son throughout junior high and high school, then went on to blast the Browns organization for allowing Colt McCoy to return to the game. Browns coach Pat Shurmur told reporters during his postgame press conference that McCoy was "fine to go back in," with which Brad also took offense.

"He never should've gone back in the game," Brad told the paper. "He was basically out (cold) after the hit. You could tell by the rigidity of his body as he was laying there. There were a lot of easy symptoms that should've told them he had a concussion. He was nauseated and he didn't know who he was. From what I could see, they didn't test him for a concussion on the sidelines. They looked at his (left) hand."

Brad then pointed out the brief nature of Colt's postgame press conference.

"After the game, the (public relations staff) made sure Colt's interview was brief and he couldn't face the lights in his press conference,'' said Brad. "The TV lights and the Stadium lights were killing him. Why would you say he was fine? That makes it even worse."

He later added: "Josh Cribbs suffered a groin injury earlier in the game and he was out for the rest of the game. ... Colt takes a severe hit like that and he's back in the game a play later? If he took another blow to the head, we could've been talking about his career here."

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2011, 03:25 PM
James will be fined, everyone can probably agree with that. Watch the video again, and just before Colt flips the ball he has it tucked in like he's going to run with it. That signals James that he is a runner and you can hit him differently than what you would if he were in the pocket. The hit was NOT late, and Colt was not defenseless.

However one rule says that the QB is still defenseless right before or right after he throws it. However the gray area comes in when he's out of the pocket. This is a split second league where you decide what you're doing and you go for it. James felt he could hit him so he did. It wasn't dirty, he wasn't trying to hurt McCoy, it's part of the game.

Yes he was leading with his helmet and his helmet hit McCoy's helmet, so in that case you ahead and fine him based on the rule. However, the gray area as I mentioned is what will keep Harrison from being suspended. People want to make James the poster boy for dirty play. Why in the world does nobody take into account that this type of play happens every single week in the NFL. The league fines players from other teams besides the Steelers. Stop trying to make this only about Harrison when it's clearly a league full of players who don't know what they can and cannot hit or when they can hit that person.

You can only legislate the game so far before it becomes micro managed and ridiculous. The fact is, the NFL wants all the soccer mom's and over protective parents to not worry about their kids playing football as a career. They want to make their game as pretty, nice, and less violent as they can. Players know better what's involved with an NFL career; they aren't stupid. It's a violent sport, let it be played that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFW-Yezv0k

DIESELMAN
12-09-2011, 03:41 PM
In the aftermath of the Cleveland Browns' Thursday night loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, much of the postgame talk in the visiting locker room did not center on the game's outcome, but instead, the vicious fourth-quarter helmet-to-helmet hit Steelers linebacker James Harrison administered to quarterback Colt McCoy.

McCoy, who returned two plays after going down, told reporters that he did not remember the hit. According to McCoy's dad, however, the second-year quarterback's mental state was far worse than he originally let on.

"I talked to Colt this morning and he said, 'Dad, I don't know what happened, but I know I lost the game. I know I let the team down. What happened?' " Brad McCoy told The Plain Dealer on Friday.

Brad, who coached his son throughout junior high and high school, then went on to blast the Browns organization for allowing Colt McCoy to return to the game. Browns coach Pat Shurmur told reporters during his postgame press conference that McCoy was "fine to go back in," with which Brad also took offense.

"He never should've gone back in the game," Brad told the paper. "He was basically out (cold) after the hit. You could tell by the rigidity of his body as he was laying there. There were a lot of easy symptoms that should've told them he had a concussion. He was nauseated and he didn't know who he was. From what I could see, they didn't test him for a concussion on the sidelines. They looked at his (left) hand."

Brad then pointed out the brief nature of Colt's postgame press conference.

"After the game, the (public relations staff) made sure Colt's interview was brief and he couldn't face the lights in his press conference,'' said Brad. "The TV lights and the Stadium lights were killing him. Why would you say he was fine? That makes it even worse."

He later added: "Josh Cribbs suffered a groin injury earlier in the game and he was out for the rest of the game. ... Colt takes a severe hit like that and he's back in the game a play later? If he took another blow to the head, we could've been talking about his career here."

I just heard this on ESPN radio on my way in to work. Like I said earlier, the media won't be making a big deal out of this like they should and the league won't look into it like they should (considering they are all about player safety :whatever:). I'm just happy our coaching staff truly cares about our players, it shows in every game. :yellowthumb:

MattyVfromCT
12-09-2011, 03:48 PM
don't even get me started on this. i am so annoyed listening to the tampon bitch fest coming from all these cleveland fans and even BALTIMORE FANS. ratbird douches calling for him to be suspended. yet when ray ray does the same thing to hines when hines is, by nfl rules, a DEFENSELESS RECEIVER, they applaud it. and we all know ray ray is a repeat offender. flagged and fined for 2 helmet to helmet hits in 09, against ocho and austin collie.

if james gets suspended for being a "repeat offender" i just may have to make a comparison video and send it to all the networks and the nfl. illl make 10 accounts if i have to. im sick of this commissioner ruining football. colt was a runner at that point and if you watch that at full speed, what the hell was james supposed to do? hesitate and let mccoy get around him for a first down? and sad to say, deion effing sanders who i HATE was the only dipshit from nfl network that had any goddamn common sense last night.......

connecticutsteel
12-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I just got off the phone with mike francesa on wfan 1- 877- 337- 6666 he basically called me a whiny steelers fan cause he challenged the listeners to call in with an example of helmet to helmet contact that wasn't flagged so i called him with the example of hines being knocked out by ray lewis and he says of course you give me an example of it happing to a steeler player and he said harrison 's intent was to injure mccoy i diagreed call him and try to shut him up 1-877-337-6666

--- Added 12/9/2011 at 03:25 PM ---

don't even get me started on this. i am so annoyed listening to the tampon bitch fest coming from all these cleveland fans and even BALTIMORE FANS. ratbird douches calling for him to be suspended. yet when ray ray does the same thing to hines when hines is, by nfl rules, a DEFENSELESS RECEIVER, they applaud it. and we all know ray ray is a repeat offender. flagged and fined for 2 helmet to helmet hits in 09, against ocho and austin collie.

if james gets suspended for being a "repeat offender" i just may have to make a comparison video and send it to all the networks and the nfl. illl make 10 accounts if i have to. im sick of this commissioner ruining football. colt was a runner at that point and if you watch that at full speed, what the hell was james supposed to do? hesitate and let mccoy get around him for a first down? and sad to say, deion effing sanders who i HATE was the only dipshit from nfl network that had any goddamn common sense last night.......

goddamn right a ****in men

LatrobePA
12-09-2011, 04:26 PM
I just called and talked to Colt's dad, he did confirm Colt has a vagina!

Goodfrom55
12-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Harrison has been within the rules all year and even showed some contrition afterward. My take is McCoy tucked and ran and only at the last second did he flip the ball out to the WR.

Will they fine him? YES.
Should they? Maybe.
Will the media blow this out of proportion? ALREADY HAVE.
Will they suspend Harrison? CAN'T SEE HOW.

Ed "Cockuli" and his crew did a horrible job last night.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2011, 04:40 PM

That about sums it up quite nicely I think. I'm so sick and tired of fans from the around the league bitching and complaining about Harrison and his hits. Get the hell over it already. If he was on your team you'd be his biggest fan so check your attitude at the door and give your wife your nuts and man card back and move on with life.

Clevelandsux
12-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Everytime Hoculi's crew does a game, the refs control the game. Was this way two weeks ago in k.c. I don't believe james intentionally tried to go for mccoys head. Harrison will be fined heavily i'm sure. Should he be suspended? Probably not. Tshu deliberately stomped on a guy.

I just think it's funny that everyone wants to call out Harrison. My facebook was all lit up by browns calling big ben a wuss and a rapist. Double standard here.

MattyVfromCT
12-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I just got off the phone with mike francesa on wfan 1- 877- 337- 6666 he basically called me a whiny steelers fan cause he challenged the listeners to call in with an example of helmet to helmet contact that wasn't flagged so i called him with the example of hines being knocked out by ray lewis and he says of course you give me an example of it happing to a steeler player and he said harrison 's intent was to injure mccoy i diagreed call him and try to shut him up 1-877-337-6666

--- Added 12/9/2011 at 03:25 PM ---

goddamn right a ****in men

francesa should stick to stuffing his face with chicken francaise from manny's. fat slob. i hate that guy. arrogant ******* who's always rude to callers and flip flops worse than a bipolar person......

Ravens1
12-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I can't wait for someone to give Harrison a taste of his own medicine. Ward knows what I'm talking about.

DIESELMAN
12-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I can't wait for someone to give Harrison a taste of his own medicine. Ward knows what I'm talking about.

:whatever:

Goodfrom55
12-09-2011, 07:31 PM
francesa should stick to stuffing his face with chicken francaise from manny's. fat slob. i hate that guy. arrogant ******* who's always rude to callers and flip flops worse than a bipolar person......

Agreed. He doesn't let anyone get a word in edge wise and is arrogant and fat.

If Harrison ever got a taste of his own medicine, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't bitch, moan or complain. He'd say, good hit because afterall, football is or at least used to be a collision sport.

Ravens1
12-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Hey man, let the street fight begin. Take the refs off the field and we'll see who can hit hardest...as you all wobble into the end of the season. Bring out the walkers old geezers.

MattyVfromCT
12-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Hey man, let the street fight begin. Take the refs off the field and we'll see who can hit hardest...as you all wobble into the end of the season. Bring out the walkers old geezers.

you know your life is a complete waste when you're spending your friday night trolling a message board of a team you hate. talk about pathetic. get out of mommy's basement and get a girl for christ sake......

--- Added 12/9/2011 at 06:38 PM ---

Agreed. He doesn't let anyone get a word in edge wise and is arrogant and fat.

If Harrison ever got a taste of his own medicine, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't bitch, moan or complain. He'd say, good hit because afterall, football is or at least used to be a collision sport.

cant stand him. always flip flopping his opinions and flat out lies when he's proven wrong, or asks dumb questions to the callers who proved him wrong that have nothing to do with the issue.......

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Listening to AFC North rival fans complain about Ben being a rapist or Harrison being dirty; for the love of God get over it already. Nobody cares about the problems Ben had and nobody listens to that Harrison is a dirty player talk. Please get some new material already.

Oh wonderful, the Ravens troll is back on a Friday night hanging on a Steelers message board. Oh joy..oh bliss...

Ravens1
12-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Harrison is toast.

http://boston.sbnation.com/new-england-patriots/2011/12/9/2624583/jerod-mayo-fined-25000-for-hit-on-colts-dan-orlovsky

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Harrison is toast.

http://boston.sbnation.com/new-england-patriots/2011/12/9/2624583/jerod-mayo-fined-25000-for-hit-on-colts-dan-orlovsky

This has nothing to do with Harrison...Harrison's will be fined much more.

LevonKirkland99
12-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Harrison is toast.

Dude, aren't you supposed to be on some ravens forum talking about how good Flacco is? You sure as hell have a LOT of interest in the Black & Gold. My guess you were a Steelers fan before 1996.

Stairwayto7
12-10-2011, 02:10 PM
The problem is Harrison has one speed, that we like. Yes he should have moved his head left or right, it was ugly! Imagine if Ben were hit like that we would be pissed to. But I dont think Harrison is a dirty player, if he were he wouldnt have went to McCoy and apologized.

McCoy came back in when he saw seneca wallace complete a pass, Colt hasnt been able to get th ball in the end one at all unless its the last few minutes when teams are in prevent. all mop up TDs.

If Harrison was planting ben or Flacco like that it would have been helmet to chest, cant blame harrison for Mccoy being vertically challenged

CowherPower
12-11-2011, 12:14 AM
That's what we love about Deebo, he does have 1 speed and that's full bore, 100%, every play, no exceptions. For every rival team fan or otherwise, they all complain about Harrison but if he was on their team he'd be the greatest player ever.

It's the same way with Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or any other high profile player that is successful. You love to hate him because he kicks your *** every time he plays but if he was on your team you would be singing a different tune.

James fits the mold of what a Steelers linebacker is. He doesn't hide it, doesn't back down from it, and fines be damned he's going to play the way he feels the game should be played.

Stairwayto7
12-11-2011, 07:45 AM
:plus1:
That's what we love about Deebo, he does have 1 speed and that's full bore, 100%, every play, no exceptions. For every rival team fan or otherwise, they all complain about Harrison but if he was on their team he'd be the greatest player ever.

It's the same way with Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or any other high profile player that is successful. You love to hate him because he kicks your *** every time he plays but if he was on your team you would be singing a different tune.

James fits the mold of what a Steelers linebacker is. He doesn't hide it, doesn't back down from it, and fines be damned he's going to play the way he feels the game should be played.

:plus1::plus1::plus1:

coldrolled
12-11-2011, 10:44 AM
NFL.com

The NFL's disciplinary review of Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy will include discussion of a possible suspension, a league source said Sunday.

Harrison is a repeat offender and has been levied big fines in the past. The official review of this incident with McCoy, which came during the fourth quarter of Thursday night's Steelers victory, will not begin until Monday, but a suspension will be on the table when it begins, according to the source.

The best-case scenario for Harrison could be a fine in the range of $100,000.

Speeed
12-11-2011, 10:50 AM
I am all for discussion amongst opposing fan, but Ravens1 is delusional and spiteful. So please EVERYBODY

Please put Ravens1 on your ignore list and do not respond to him at all. He contributes nothing but bad attitude. Don't even respond to his threads or replies. Just ignore him. I am starting right now . . .

MattyVfromCT
12-11-2011, 10:54 AM
NFL.com

The NFL's disciplinary review of Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy will include discussion of a possible suspension, a league source said Sunday.

Harrison is a repeat offender and has been levied big fines in the past. The official review of this incident with McCoy, which came during the fourth quarter of Thursday night's Steelers victory, will not begin until Monday, but a suspension will be on the table when it begins, according to the source.

The best-case scenario for Harrison could be a fine in the range of $100,000.

like i said before, if they suspend him for being a repeat offender im putting together a video that proves their hypocrisy how ray lewis is a repeat offender of helmet to helmet hits yet no suspension. i'll send it to every network. if i have to post it 50,000 times on a different youtube account i will. THIS IS FOOTBALL FOR CHRIST SAKE. this faggot commish should do a little experiment. for one preseason allow no hitting, make it a two hand touch or flag game for the preseason. see how quickly people stop watching......

coldrolled
12-11-2011, 11:00 AM
If Harrison is barely 6' and is coming at Colt with his head down in tackle position why is Colt's head dropping down to 5' 2"ish range? there has to be a logical horizonal line drawn and if you dropyour helmut into a helmut it cant be a foul or bad hit.

If colt is standing up straight and not curling over expecting the hit he gets it in the chest

harrison didnt jump up into him... like merriweather does.

LatrobePA
12-11-2011, 11:38 AM
He'll be suspended like I said no way Goodell wants us to make another run so he'll need to even the playing field!

LevonKirkland99
12-11-2011, 12:30 PM
The CBS guy said he'll most likely get suspended for one game which would cost him $74000. I guess that's the suspension amount for one game, not sure ?

Even the clowns here in DC think he should be suspended for more games, these are the same clowns that talk about that dreaded team called the Redskins. As much as I love the way Harrison plays, I think he should avoid laying those kind of hits on QBs.

MattyVfromCT
12-11-2011, 12:50 PM
The CBS guy said he'll most likely get suspended for one game which would cost him $74000. I guess that's the suspension amount for one game, not sure ?

Even the clowns here in DC think he should be suspended for more games, these are the same clowns that talk about that dreaded team called the Redskins. As much as I love the way Harrison plays, I think he should avoid laying those kind of hits on QBs.

if he's suspended than ray lewis should be too. he's a REPEAT OFFENDER of helmet to helmet hits. and no i'm not calling for that to happen. it's football. most of all the helmet to helmet hits are incidental. the game is so fast and there's no way to avoid it.

BUT all i want from the national farce league is CONSISTENCY. if james is suspended than so should ray lewis and you bet your *** i will be making a lot of noise if james misses a game. BANK ON IT........

Speeed
12-11-2011, 08:23 PM
I read some stories on the incident describing Harrison as "launching" and "torpedoeing" on the tackle. That is laughable. Additionally I think it is frustrating that the media can sensationalize so much with zero accountability.

coldrolled
12-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Goodell can try to help the ravens by keeping joey off the field for the 49'ers game.

They will need it to, Rivers is hot.

LatrobePA
12-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Goodell can try to help the ravens by keeping joey off the field for the 49'ers game.

They will need it to, Rivers is hot.

Good point..

SteelDad
12-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Longer it goes, the more I believe Goodell will suspend Harrison. He took the high road this summer after the Men's Journal article and now he has his chance for revenge. It'll be a game plus $75,000 IMO.

SteelDad
12-12-2011, 08:10 AM

If we have a street fight, the odds are definitely in your favor considering you have a guy with plenty of street fighting experience. Oh wait, that was just an "obstruction of justice" charge. My bad.

LatrobePA
12-12-2011, 08:56 AM
If we have a street fight, the odds are definitely in your favor considering you have a guy with plenty of street fighting experience. Oh wait, that was just an "obstruction of justice" charge. My bad.

LOL...

joeflaccosayshi, or I mean ravens1 is an idiot!

Speeed
12-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Funny SteelDad!.

Of course the Ravens would win. If there were a team checkers match, the Ravens would kill the Steelers. Or freestyle poetry, curling, or even Connect 4, no contest. The Ravens are the real deal, never lose, and always bring it, no matter what the contest.

Another pointless, unrelated comment.

coldrolled
12-12-2011, 09:05 AM

so, if harrison gets suspended, he can never guarantee a 16 game playing season again. he will be a 13-14 game a year player not counting injury. thats not good.

StillinBaltimore
12-12-2011, 09:14 AM
This is just going to be part of the game for Harrison now. If he makes a hit that looks hard, late or high, then he is going to get fined. He is a marked man and that's how it goes. That was definitely a helmet to helmet hit, so he'll hear from the league. I wouldn't be shocked to see a one game suspension, but anymore than that and I would be pissed.

You hit the nail on the head!!!! "Looked Hard" is EXACTLY what they are calling. The rules are set up to be used when they want to. With the current rules... literally EVERY hit in the NFL can be a penalty.

I saw Pollard for the Ravens make a gorgeous (low "shoulder") hit on a receiver for the Jags... and the flag didn't come in until the ref SAW THAT THE RECEIVER WAS HURT AND NOT GETTING UP. Literally 4 or 5 seconds after the whistle.

Again, I stress that I am defending a Raven here so I'm not totally blinded on calls made against us.

cmerrifield
12-12-2011, 09:18 AM
This is a tough one, he is running and at the line of scrimmage. If he is running the ball, helmet to helmet rules are different or even null and void. However, he threw the ball right as Harrison hit him. I still think Harrison hit him as a running back, making his hit legal, I think. No way will Harrison get suspended for this one, McCoy was too much a running back in this play.

LatrobePA
12-12-2011, 09:20 AM
I saw Tom Brady take a clean hit yesterday that was flagged! The league has got to get their heads out for their asses and be consistant. Harrisons hit was HTH and should be fined, he's been clean all year so IMO no suspension should be handed down..

StillinBaltimore
12-12-2011, 09:21 AM

Shocker right... a Ravens fan who ran out of ideas and posts middle school trash talk. Stick to something you are familiar with like seasonal fashion and changing diapers. lol

Congrats on your 4th Bowl Game win this year after beating the Colts in the "Irsay Bowl."

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Bucky Brooks from NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824e2c93/article/punishment-a-strong-possibility-after-harrisons-hit-on-mccoy) is one of the few writers that actually gets it...

Harrison doesn't deserve suspension or fine

James Harrison should not be fined or suspended for his hit on Colt McCoy. Although the shot appears to be violent and malicious when viewed in slow motion, the bang-bang nature of the play should be considered when handing out fines or suspension.

McCoy ventured from the pocket with the ball tucked under his arm until he made the last-minute decision to toss the ball to a teammate in the flat. Harrison had already committed to making the hit. The size disparity, force of the hit and frame-by-frame breakdown of the play has made Harrison's hit look like one of the most violent delivered in recent years.

While I certainly applaud the NFL's efforts to increase player safety, I don't think you can legislate big hits out of a game played with some of the biggest and fastest athletes on the planet.

SteelDad
12-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Finally, a writer/analyst who gets it! Well done Bucky.

DIESELMAN
12-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Bucky Brooks from NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824e2c93/article/punishment-a-strong-possibility-after-harrisons-hit-on-mccoy) is one of the few writers that actually gets it...

Harrison doesn't deserve suspension or fine

James Harrison should not be fined or suspended for his hit on Colt McCoy. Although the shot appears to be violent and malicious when viewed in slow motion, the bang-bang nature of the play should be considered when handing out fines or suspension.

McCoy ventured from the pocket with the ball tucked under his arm until he made the last-minute decision to toss the ball to a teammate in the flat. Harrison had already committed to making the hit. The size disparity, force of the hit and frame-by-frame breakdown of the play has made Harrison's hit look like one of the most violent delivered in recent years.

While I certainly applaud the NFL's efforts to increase player safety, I don't think you can legislate big hits out of a game played with some of the biggest and fastest athletes on the planet.

Thats one of the flaws with Goodell being judge, jury and executioner. He's never played the game, so he has no clue how fast it is being played, let alone how fast you have to react to the opposing players action.

chisteeler
12-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Here is a scenrio to be considered with how the rule is designed to protect QB's and helmet to helmet hits. Let's imagine that Harrison's hit happens the same way, but to a running back that received a pitch from the QB and then at the last second pulls up to throw. How does the rule apply then? Both are moving out of the pocket and considered a runner, until the attempted pass. Is it because one is a QB and the other a running back or even a receiver? Too many gray areas for fining/suspending players.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
The writer for the ESPN AFC North blog shoots his mouth off that the NFL needs to take action and suspend Harrison.

Is it any wonder that people who aren't Baltimore fans can't stand his blog writing and pretty feel like he's a joke.

The fact is, the NFL has no business suspending Harrison for this hit. They won't see it for what it is, they'll say he's a repeat offender and then judge this play based on that rather than just judging it on the hit itself which was hardly the worse thing to happen this year. McCoy came back into the game and nearly won it for them if Gay doesn't make that INT in the endzone.

I watched that Giants game last night, the receiver was running with the ball and took a direct shot on the head and no flag was called. It's things like this that continue to send this sport spiraling down a staircase it has no business being on.

nuclearchihuahuas
12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
James will be fined, everyone can probably agree with that. Watch the video again, and just before Colt flips the ball he has it tucked in like he's going to run with it. That signals James that he is a runner and you can hit him differently than what you would if he were in the pocket. The hit was NOT late, and Colt was not defenseless.

However one rule says that the QB is still defenseless right before or right after he throws it. However the gray area comes in when he's out of the pocket. This is a split second league where you decide what you're doing and you go for it. James felt he could hit him so he did. It wasn't dirty, he wasn't trying to hurt McCoy, it's part of the game.

Yes he was leading with his helmet and his helmet hit McCoy's helmet, so in that case you ahead and fine him based on the rule. However, the gray area as I mentioned is what will keep Harrison from being suspended. People want to make James the poster boy for dirty play. The fact is, the NFL wants all the soccer mom's and over protective parents to not worry about their kids playing football as a career. They want to make their game as pretty, nice, and less violent as they can. Players know better what's involved with an NFL career; they aren't stupid. It's a violent sport, let it be played that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFW-Yezv0k

I agree wholly with your assessment. In fact, the announcers had gone over and over and over the plays where Mendenhall is hit helmet to helmet on the three occasions he was trying to score on that goal line stand that went afoul. They kept saying he was a runner and so not considered a defenseless player and it was ok that he was hit helmet to helmet. I am not a stupid person, but I really do not see the difference between a QB trying to run and a runner. Isnt the QB considered a runner at that point? How was James supposed to know he was going to pull it out and throw it after he had tucked it to run? I know he's going to get fined/suspended but from my perspective at least, his argument is a valid one. He is allowed to hit a runner, they are not protected.

MattyVfromCT
12-12-2011, 03:54 PM
The writer for the ESPN AFC North blog shoots his mouth off that the NFL needs to take action and suspend Harrison.

Is it any wonder that people who aren't Baltimore fans can't stand his blog writing and pretty feel like he's a joke.

The fact is, the NFL has no business suspending Harrison for this hit. They won't see it for what it is, they'll say he's a repeat offender and then judge this play based on that rather than just judging it on the hit itself which was hardly the worse thing to happen this year. McCoy came back into the game and nearly won it for them if Gay doesn't make that INT in the endzone.

I watched that Giants game last night, the receiver was running with the ball and took a direct shot on the head and no flag was called. It's things like this that continue to send this sport spiraling down a staircase it has no business being on.

i hate that jagoff and all these soft, fruity sorry excuses for "football fans" that voted in the sportsnation poll that harrison should be suspended. im telling ya man im ready to blow up if he is. its complete bullshit. most of these hits all these faggy crybaby new school football fans bitch and moan about as being "dirty" WAS CALLED FOOTBALL 10 YEARS AGO! and it's INCREDIBLY HYPOCRITICAL for anyone from baltimore calling for harrison to be suspended when ray lewis commited a helmet to helmet hit on hines who was defenseless and is a REPEAT OFFENDER of helmet to helmet hits..........

btw, on a side note, i was just thinking. this site needs a new mood avatar because i'm in a GOODELL HATRED mood right now...........

Clevelandsux
12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Harrison is a marked man. But he hasn't helped his cause any.Making his comments about the commissioner etc. I love JamesHarrison as a player. But he needs to quit leading with the helmet. I mean had we ended up losing that game because of a hit like that, we all would be pissed. And if he ends up getting suspended, its going to hurt the team.

StillersSound
12-12-2011, 06:49 PM
It's funny.. Godell wont suspend him because he wants those ratings. It would give the Steelers more reason to say screw this game and rest players. Most of the SNF and MNF games this year have sucked. But we all know if this week was the Rams he would have been suspended.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2011, 08:05 PM
If I've said it once I've said it a 1000 times, everybody who hates on Harrison or hates on Clark for their hits would kill to have those 2 on their teams. People who complain about these types of hits or the so called dirty play from guys like Harrison, would be singing their praises if he was on their team.

i hate that jagoff and all these soft, fruity sorry excuses for "football fans" that voted in the sportsnation poll that harrison should be suspended. im telling ya man im ready to blow up if he is. its complete bullshit. most of these hits all these faggy crybaby new school football fans bitch and moan about as being "dirty" WAS CALLED FOOTBALL 10 YEARS AGO! and it's INCREDIBLY HYPOCRITICAL for anyone from baltimore calling for harrison to be suspended when ray lewis commited a helmet to helmet hit on hines who was defenseless and is a REPEAT OFFENDER of helmet to helmet hits..........

btw, on a side note, i was just thinking. this site needs a new mood avatar because i'm in a GOODELL HATRED mood right now...........

Good call man, hadn't even thought of that. I'll try and get to it in the next couple days.

DesertSteeler
12-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Heath Miller was knocked out of last year's December 6th game against the Raven from a blatant helmet-to-helmet from McClain. No flag. That was the same game Ngata punched Ben in the face so hard his nose was on his cheek. No flag for that one either, BTW.

Francesa is a doosh, I don't know one person who actually likes or respects him. People listen to him because he's controversial and easy to hate.

TampaSteelGirl
12-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Florio is a Steeler hater.....he loves to write crap articles on the Steelers and watch the the hate fest go on!! To me Florio is no better than someone who writes for the National Enquirer....he can't write about sports so he writes about sports gossip and loves to see the responses.......he's a hack writer as my friend says!

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Florio is a Steeler hater.....he loves to write crap articles on the Steelers and watch the the hate fest go on!! To me Florio is no better than someone who writes for the National Enquirer....he can't write about sports so he writes about sports gossip and loves to see the responses.......he's a hack writer as my friend says!

Cosigned!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

TampaSteelGirl
12-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Cosigned!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

What??????????????

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 03:37 PM
I loved the hit:

http://col.stb.s-msn.com/i/B6/8EECC7C1C089BB7488581B373929.jpg

TampaSteelGirl
12-13-2011, 03:43 PM
I loved the hit:

http://col.stb.s-msn.com/i/B6/8EECC7C1C089BB7488581B373929.jpg

Oh me too my brother from another mother :hehheh:

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
What??????????????

cosigned. just another way of saying i agree with you lol. i hate florio ALMOST as much as goodell. whiny steeler hating gossip column bitch is all he is........

LatrobePA
12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh me too my brother from another mother :hehheh:

Colt needs to keep his sissy *** in the pocket, James did what 64 other LB'rs around the league would love to do...

"you got knocked the f**k out"

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Colt needs to keep his sissy *** in the pocket, James did what 64 other LB'rs around the league would love to do...

"you got knocked the f**k out"

if colt doesn't want to get hit than he should ****ing slide like all quarterbacks are taught to.............

TampaSteelGirl
12-13-2011, 03:54 PM
cosigned. just another way of saying i agree with you lol. i hate florio ALMOST as much as goodell. whiny steeler hating gossip column bitch is all he is........

OooooooooooH OK :rofl: '

Yes he certainly is...he couldn't cut it as a lawyer...so he tried sports writing...couldn't cut it and then became a sports gossip beat writer but that jerk off is making a ton of $$$$ though...I hate him!

--- Added 12/13/2011 at 02:53 PM ---

"you got knocked the f**k out" LOVE the quote from the movie Friday :rofl:

True dat!!! :yellowthumb:

--- Added 12/13/2011 at 02:54 PM ---

if colt doesn't want to get hit than he should ****ing slide like all quarterbacks are taught to.............

Yeppers!!!! :hilarious:

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
i remember when NFL stood for national FOOTBALL league. now i cant tell if i'm watching football or basket weaving when i turn on a game..........

TampaSteelGirl
12-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I mean ok...I get it that they want to make it more safe for the players but this ridiculous inconsistency is what's mind boggling....it's ok for one team, one player, this player, that player but when it comes to the Steelers BAM...FINE FINE SUSPENSION. FINE FINE FINE.....WTF!!!

MattyVfromCT
12-13-2011, 04:18 PM
I mean ok...I get it that they want to make it more safe for the players but this ridiculous inconsistency is what's mind boggling....it's ok for one team, one player, this player, that player but when it comes to the Steelers BAM...FINE FINE SUSPENSION. FINE FINE FINE.....WTF!!!

my thoughts exactly. i will be putting together a video showing other players being repeat offenders of helmet to helmet hits, fighting etc who WERE NOT suspended. gonna send it to all the networks and the league demanding answers why its ok for ray lewis to helmet hit ward who was a defenseless receiver but james gets suspended. and if they play the repeat offender card i have 2 helmet hits by lewis from 09 to prove he's a repeat offender.

it's the bullshit quadruple standards that **** me off more than anything. if james was suspended but everyone else who does the same thing was as well, i wouldnt be flipping out. its the same thing with quarterback hits. certain guys get more protection than others cough brady cough and its ****ing bullshit

dscola
12-14-2011, 07:45 AM
My problem is this: We are looking at the outcome and not the fact that Harrison could have LEGALLY tackled/hit McCoy and all of this would have been avoided. How many of you, after seeing the hit, cringed afterwards?

Everybody here is looking at the QB/RB issue and that's not it. The point is that he literally launched himself at the Qbs head. His head went straight to the face mask of McCoy. All he had to do was crush his ribs and he would be fine.

I'm a Correctional Officer and was suspended for excessive force on an inmate. II disagreed with the decision and appealed the decision but it was denied. Consequently, I learned that certain things blur the line between what is acceptable and what's not.

I need my job and don't make enough to say I'll do it my way or I'll retire.

Maybe Harrison needs to conform to the rules instead of doing his own thing.

Just my oppinion.

SteelDad
12-14-2011, 07:50 AM
My problem is this: We are looking at the outcome and not the fact that Harrison could have LEGALLY tackled/hit McCoy and all of this would have been avoided. How many of you, after seeing the hit, cringed afterwards?

Everybody here is looking at the QB/RB issue and that's not it. The point is that he literally launched himself at the Qbs head. His head went straight to the face mask of McCoy. All he had to do was crush his ribs and he would be fine.

I'm a Correctional Officer and was suspended for excessive force on an inmate. II disagreed with the decision and appealed the decision but it was denied. Consequently, I learned that certain things blur the line between what is acceptable and what's not.

I need my job and don't make enough to say I'll do it my way or I'll retire.

Maybe Harrison needs to conform to the rules instead of doing his own thing.

Just my oppinion.

Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

We all could ask the same question about tackling differently, but as my argument has been all along, how do you ask a player going full speed to alter not only his route and trajectory AND compensate for what the offensive player does which is usually lower his own head?

We all basically agree that 92 has to get his head up, but how do you account for the actions of the so-called 'defenseless player?' It's impossible to adjust that fast.

dscola
12-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

We all could ask the same question about tackling differently, but as my argument has been all along, how do you ask a player going full speed to alter not only his route and trajectory AND compensate for what the offensive player does which is usually lower his own head?

We all basically agree that 92 has to get his head up, but how do you account for the actions of the so-called 'defenseless player?' It's impossible to adjust that fast.

I agree with you. I just think that defenders need to adjust to not always going for the"Kill Shot" which is what I believe Harrison was doing.

Obviously I can't say with certainty, as I'm not in his head but, it looked as if he was lining him up to knock him out and I have no problem with that. My only problem is where he aimed.

This wasn't a case where the player ducked into the defender. He went straight to the head.

I still don't think he should have been suspended. I just think sometimes people bring things on themselves.