PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Big Ben Continues

Sir Blitzelot
12-09-2011, 11:12 AM
The term which best describes Ben Roethlisberger following Thursday night’s game is, Superman. After suffering what appeared to be a serious ankle injury in the second quarter, the quarterback amazingly returned at the start of the second half and led his team to a much needed victory. It will go down as one of Roethlisberger’s most memorable games, and it proved that this Superman has no kryptonite.

Midway through the second quarter disaster struck for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The team’s franchise quarterback was hit by the Browns’ Scott Paxon. Roethlisberger’s leg folded underneath of him. As he lay on the field, fans feared the worst. Barely able to walk, Roethlisberger was helped off the field and in to the locker room. It appeared that at the very least, the quarterback’s night was over, if not his season.

During halftime, Mike Tomlin delivered the news that was like music to Steelers fan’s ears, X-rays on Roethlisberger’s ankle were negative. Roethlisberger was then seen taking warm up snaps. Soon after the second half kickoff, the quarterback hobbled in to the huddle. Roethlisberger’s performance in the second half was nothing short of extraordinary. He completed 8-12 passes, for 178 yards, including the 79-yard game-winning touchdown pass to Antonio Brown.

Ben Roethlisberger is often the target of much unwarranted criticism from analysts and fans alike. Hopefully, his valiant performance on Thursday night will change some of the opinions out there. On one leg and a broken thumb from an earlier game, he delivered one of the gutsiest performances in NFL history, simply inspiring. When are people going to open their eyes and realize how special this player is? His heart and resiliency are unquestionable, and it those qualities that make Ben Roethlisberger one of the best to ever play the game.

Michael C. Smith
www.steeleraddicts.com

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Nice writeup Michael!

I was listening to some Steelers talk radio today on TribLive; Ken & Guy were talking about Scott Paxon and when he was with the Steelers and how he was an odd ball type of guy. He used to do naked cart wheels in the locker room after games and practice, even in front of female media members..LOL, Yikes.

As far as Ben goes, if there was ever an NFL player in the modern era that could be called a Warrior, it's Ben. Absolutely inspiring display of guts, team attitude, and never say die.

Callax
12-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Ben has NEVER been given the due respect for his play, heart, GUTS!!!!

He should have been to at least 3 probowls in his career
He better be in the Pro Bowl this season!
Heart of a Warrior This game shows the Nation what we have known for the last 8 saesons!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2011, 10:23 AM
He'll never be given the full respect that guys like Manning and Brady have gotten but I think most people realize he's a top 5 QB in the league. If they don't then they're missing a few cards in the deck. Love him or hate him, you have to respect him. Every aspiring young Quarterback and look at Ben from a toughness, tenacity, never give up attitude and say "Yeah, I want to play like that"

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2011, 11:19 AM
I was a fan of Ben before he was a Steeler.......I go back to a game in Ben's college days were I really was impressed with him and was hoping one day he end up a Steeler......The game was Miami of Ohio against the Iowa Hawkeyes in Iowa........This was when the Hawkeyes were a consistently ranked top 15-20 team against a the small school Miami of Ohio.....It was clear the Miami of Ohio OL was over matched against Iowa's front 7 and Ben took a beating that day and he also threw four INT's.......

The reason I was so impressed even when Ben played one of his worst college games stats wise was the fact he never gave up and picked himself off the turf multi times that game.....I knew from that moment that Ben had the so called "it" and he would make it in the NFL.....In the NFL things don't always go a QB's way and there it times were things are not pretty but it is how that QB's responds when adversity rises is a telling sign about a player.......Ben of course went on to have a great season the rest of the way that year......

I'm so thankful Archie Manning and Eli threw their fit pre-draft 2004......If Eli had wanted to play for San Diego then the Giants would have taken Big Ben at 4 instead of Rivers.......The Giants had Eli rated 1 A and Ben 1B in that draft.......Plus the fact the Browns also passed on Ben at 7 in that same draft........The Steelers were so lucky and I'm glad they pounced on Ben when he fell to them at 11........

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2011, 09:48 AM
I remember the very first game that Ben played in when Tommy Maddox went down against Baltimore and Bill Cowher sent in Big Ben. Even though the Steelers lost that game Ben made some big time throws that really gave you the sense that he was going to be a special QB.

I honestly wouldn't have wanted Rivers or Eli Manning over Ben. Mainly because I don't think that either of them would have survived this long behind the patchwork offensive line in front of them. Also though just the shear toughness that Ben has displayed makes him a perfect fit for this team and this city.