PDA

View Full Version : Jason Worilds starting to come into his own

harpo
12-09-2011, 08:25 AM
So....to those who proclaimed Jason Worilds to be a "bust", how did he play last night?

8 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 forced fumble.

JensK
12-09-2011, 08:31 AM
He played a great game, although it should be said that both sacks were coverage sacks rather than him beating his opponent and getting in there.

SteelDad
12-09-2011, 08:33 AM
So....to those who proclaimed Jason Worilds to be a "bust", how did he play last night?

I don't know if anyone has called him a bust yet although some must have... There were times last night where I couldn't tell him and Silverback apart coming off the edge until I could see his number. He has a tremendous motor that needs to be throttled down when rushing the passer at times. I know the goal is to force the QB up into the pocket, but if we don't have a surge from the front 3 it creates a big throwing lane for the QB.

With that said, I like what I'm seeing especially since it sounded like the team was ready to give up on him at the end of training camp.

coldrolled
12-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Suh was suspended, i wont be surprised if harrison is too. Goddell needs the Ravens to be a top seed.

harpo
12-09-2011, 08:50 AM
I don't know if anyone has called him a bust yet although some must have...

Oh trust me....there are many on this forum who called him a bust.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Most people have not proclaimed him to be a bust. However most people, and rightfully so were disappointed in his play. He was terrible in preseason, was completely swallowed up the first half of the year, then he battled a quad injury and now in the last few weeks he's started to come on.

He played very well last night with sacks and nearly had a 3rd if he was just half step faster. He's playing inspired and relentless, the lightbulb seems to have come on again for Jason and it's a good thing too with Woodley still having hamstring issues.

LatrobePA
12-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Suh was suspended, i wont be surprised if harrison is too. Goddell needs the Ravens to be a top seed.

I agree, no way he's allowed to play against the niners (it would be unfair for them)..

Big T
12-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Suh was suspended for an absolute dirty, inexcusable act after a play in which he got off an O lineman and promptly stomped on his arm. Completely different situations and James' hit in no way warrants a suspension. Having said that, Goodell is a bitch so it might happen.

--- Added 12/9/2011 at 08:33 AM ---

On the topic of Worilds, the sacks we coverage sacks. He played well but the sacks really had nothing to do with him. His sack fumble was very similar to to the play where Ben got hurt. McCoy was running around forever looking down field and was eventually blindisided. I couldve sacked him on that play.

MDSteel15
12-09-2011, 09:42 AM
If Harrison is suspened, Roger should walk straight out on Liberty Bridge during rush hour and play chicken!!! :eek1:

harpo
12-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Most people have not proclaimed him to be a bust. However most people, and rightfully so were disappointed in his play. He was terrible in preseason, was completely swallowed up the first half of the year, then he battled a quad injury and now in the last few weeks he's started to come on.

I respectfully disagree.....mostly every critic of Jason Worilds on this board said he was a bust.

However, I agree that they had every right to be disappointed in his play.

Zachintosh66
12-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Worilds isnt all that... personally i dont see "it" from him. He disappears at times... 2 coverage sacks = hell Kordell made the probowl once too

i need to see more

Nolrog
12-09-2011, 11:23 AM

He played great. Had the game of his career.

However, one game doesn't make him a bust or a success. It's what he does over the course of the season.

LatrobePA
12-09-2011, 11:35 AM
He'll be fine...

SnakeEyes43
12-09-2011, 12:01 PM
He played a great game, although it should be said that both sacks were coverage sacks rather than him beating his opponent and getting in there.

Half the sacks in the NFL are coverage sacks...

Worlids played a solid game. He's no Woodley, but he's doing better than I expected.

harpo
12-09-2011, 12:07 PM
He played great. Had the game of his career.

However, one game doesn't make him a bust or a success. It's what he does over the course of the season.

I agree....one game doesn't make him a bust or success. I just hope that he can keep up the good play.

Half the sacks in the NFL are coverage sacks...

Worlids played a solid game. He's no Woodley, but he's doing better than I expected.

This :yellowthumb:

Rampage
12-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Worilds is improving and he makes some hard hits. Hopefully, he continues to improve his game while he gets a feel for the NFL.

LatrobePA
12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
A sack is a sack, doesn't matter if it's a coverage sack or a hairy sack, it's a sack!

Did I mention it's a sack?

harpo
12-09-2011, 12:49 PM
A sack is a sack, doesn't matter if it's a coverage sack or a hairy sack, it's a sack!

Did I mention it's a sack?

LOL@hairy sack......:lol:

Before the game, NFLN's Alex Flanagan said she spoke to Lamarr Woodley about Jason Worilds. Woodley said that Worilds had a great week of practice and predicted that he would get at least 2 sacks.

When I first heard it, I was like "Ok, whatever....". But now that it has happened, maybe Woodley knew what he was talking about. :thinking:

LatrobePA
12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
LOL@hairy sack......:lol:

Before the game, NFLN's Alex Flanagan said she spoke to Lamarr Woodley about Jason Worilds. Woodley said that Worilds had a great week of practice and predicted that he would get at least 2 sacks.

When I first heard it, I was like "Ok, whatever....". But now that it has happened, maybe Woodley knew what he was talking about. :thinking:

I get sick of hearing people saying it wasn't a "real" sack because it was based on coverage, pretty sure it still counts as one...:greenbounce2:

steelfury455
12-09-2011, 05:24 PM
He's no better or worse than Woodley at this point in development who is the king of "gimme" sacks. 8 solos is the key stat to me.

Goodfrom55
12-09-2011, 05:47 PM
He kept contain on running plays and pressured the QB all night.

The only whoopsie he had all night was when Seneca Wallace came and completed the pass to the TE - Worilds gave up on the route and that allowed the TE to get open. I know it was zone defense, but you can't make it that easy on them, especially down there. Good job otherwise.

UKSTEELER
12-09-2011, 05:51 PM
He's no better or worse than Woodley at this point in development who is the king of "gimme" sacks. 8 solos is the key stat to me.

:plus1:

he's getting extended time at last and is coming along nicely.

Big T
12-09-2011, 06:21 PM

Am I the only one who finds this comment outrageous?

Goodfrom55
12-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Worilds couldn't massage Woody's butt cheeks, but he is doing a serviceable job at LOLB so far.

Never know, he might be at ROLB next week if sh*t for brains in the NFL offices in NYC suspend Harrison.

MattyVfromCT
12-09-2011, 07:44 PM
I respectfully disagree.....mostly every critic of Jason Worilds on this board said he was a bust.

However, I agree that they had every right to be disappointed in his play.

well, no offense but before last night what exactly has he done on the field? waiting......one game does not all of a sudden make you a superstar. just saying......

--- Added 12/9/2011 at 06:44 PM ---

no you arent..........

steelfury455
12-09-2011, 08:07 PM

All I'm saying Big T, and I mean no disrespect, is I'm still searching for that BIG contract "earned" production from Wood. When I break him down I truly don't see it. And when he does have a "stat" game it's not like he overwhelms. Just saying. I saw one sack this year where it was WOW, in the NE game. Otherwise it could have been anyone who was in the area. To me he doesn't doesn't shed blocks well and rarely holds the edge. Strictly talking when he rushes the QB. Just a critical fan here..

MattyVfromCT
12-09-2011, 08:14 PM
All I'm saying Big T, and I mean no disrespect, is I'm still searching for that BIG contract "earned" production from Wood. When I break him down I truly don't see it. And when he does have a "stat" game it's not like he overwhelms. Just saying. I saw one sack this year where it was WOW, in the NE game. Otherwise it could have been anyone who was in the area. To me he doesn't doesn't shed blocks well and rarely holds the edge. Strictly talking when he rushes the QB. Just a critical fan here..

the guy was the best defensive player in football in the nfl for the month of october. he's the fastest player in nfl history to reach 10 sacks in the playoffs. YES he has a big contract but before the injury, he certainly earned it with 9 sacks in 8 games WITHOUT help from james on the other side. "anyone" could have done it who was in the area? hmmmmm, i seem to recall mr worilds being notorious for being that guy who's always in the backfield but not quite reaching the qb. EVEN YESTERDAY. despite the 2 sacks there were many occasions where he should have had a sack but overpursued or took a bad angle. he was the same way in college.........

JensK
12-09-2011, 08:24 PM
The "trash Woodley" season is over, sorry. We've moved on to other people who'll end up redeeming themselves.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Woodley started out slow this year, the entire defense did. Nobody was getting sacks or pressures, and we couldn't stop the run. It took about a month for them to start getting their sea legs and then as was mentioned Woodley was the AFC Defensive Player of the Month. Had he not gone down with the hamstring there's no telling how many sacks he'd have right now. That's without James Harrison too, which makes it a more impressive stat.

Worilds may not, and certainly is not on the level of Woodley yet, but he's been fighting and scratching and getting better each week. 2 Sacks and a FF is a pretty good game. Jason also started out really bad in the preseason and training camp, and then had some injuries earlier this year.

This defense just hasn't been able to get everyone on the field healthy all year.

Real Deal Steel
12-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Worilds is becoming a force now. So the bust talk can stop now.

Dobre Shunka
12-11-2011, 06:36 PM
He was great pick up in the draft. A worthy gamble.

He has and will always put pressure on the QB. If he starts adding sacks as a pro, well, then all the better.

He's great in combination with others. He'll flush that QB or make him get rid of the ball and good things will happen for our D.

Going forward, we're going to see him be disruptive with that incredible quickness he has and in combination with what we already have, it's going to be fun to watch.

harpo
12-12-2011, 09:40 AM
well, no offense but before last night what exactly has he done on the field? waiting......one game does not all of a sudden make you a superstar. just saying......

What had Aaron Smith done in his first 4 or 5 years? What had Harrison done (Dude was cut more than once)?

The point being made is that every player develops differently, even if he's a 1st round pick. Look how long it took Mario Williams to become one of the top DEs in the game.

Give the guy time and he's be just fine.

Yes, one game doesn't make you a star but it doesn't make you a bust either.

K Train
12-12-2011, 09:53 AM
its funny that everyone HATED him until he started to look like more than just a body out there to get in the way.

he still sucks, hes never gonna be the player he should be as a second round OLB in the steelers very LB friendly system. even clark haggans was servicable

harpo
12-12-2011, 10:16 AM
its funny that everyone HATED him until he started to look like more than just a body out there to get in the way.

he still sucks, hes never gonna be the player he should be as a second round OLB in the steelers very LB friendly system. even clark haggans was servicable

Not everyone "hated" him. I was one of the few here who was willing to give him some time to develop. I still think he's going to be a good player.

K Train
12-12-2011, 10:32 AM
What had Aaron Smith done in his first 4 or 5 years? What had Harrison done (Dude was cut more than once)?

The point being made is that every player develops differently, even if he's a 1st round pick. Look how long it took Mario Williams to become one of the top DEs in the game.

Give the guy time and he's be just fine.

Yes, one game doesn't make you a star but it doesn't make you a bust either.
it took mario williams a year...one year, im not sure what your argument is about there/ he had 14 sacks in his second year. and comparing a 34 DE to an outside linebacker is insanity.

Not everyone "hated" him. I was one of the few here who was willing to give him some time to develop. I still think he's going to be a good player.
right...in hindsight everyone was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, im sure. he was a maerely average prospect and hes transformed from a terrible player to a merely average one. the reps have done him good, but jason worilds is not and never will be the answer at OLB imo

harpo
12-12-2011, 11:56 AM
it took mario williams a year...one year, im not sure what your argument is about there/ he had 14 sacks in his second year. and comparing a 34 DE to an outside linebacker is insanity.

Mario Williams was a 4-3 DE when he came into the league. He also came into the league as a starter, and the expectations as the number one pick was through the roof.

The point being made is that not every #1 pick will take the league by storm. Sometimes it takes time for their mental abilities to catch up with the physical. I think that's what happened with Williams and I think it's happening with Worilds. There's nothing insane about that.

right...in hindsight everyone was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, im sure. he was a maerely average prospect and hes transformed from a terrible player to a merely average one. the reps have done him good, but jason worilds is not and never will be the answer at OLB imo

I don't think everyone was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Some people hated this pick and leaned more towards Thad Gibson.

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it. However, I don't think he's as bad as you make him out to be.

K Train
12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
mario williams had high expectations due to him going over reggie bush, and i was talking about comparing him to aaron smith taking a few years

harpo
12-12-2011, 01:07 PM
mario williams had high expectations due to him going over reggie bush, and i was talking about comparing him to aaron smith taking a few years

I know what the expectations were surrounding Williams. But still, the expectations were gigantic.

Also, I wasn't comparing Williams' situation to Smith. Again, I was trying to make the point that not all players hone their skills when initially drafted, be it a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, undrafted, etc. Each player is different; some develop sooner, others later and some don't meet the expectations at all.