PDA

View Full Version : Harrison's penalty hit on McCoy saved the game for the Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2011, 12:25 AM
James Harrison is going to get a letter from his favorite Commissioner this week. The NFL's charity of choice will be the beneficiary of Mr. Harrison's checkbook.

Helmet to Helmet, the officials had to make that call. There' just no 2 ways about it. Intentional or not, and we all know it wasn't intentional, James will get the boom lowered on him this by early next week.

If you're Harrison though, you are going to argue that McCoy was out of the pocket and a runner at that time who chucked it at the last minute. It was too late to pull up. It won't matter but in the end, I will take that call in a game like this. The hit that Deebo put on Colt McCoy that knocked him into next week I believe had something to do with the Will Gay interception in the endzone.

It was badly underthrown ball; as were the other passes he threw after coming back in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFW-Yezv0k

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Yea we needed that

floodcitygirl
12-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Couldn't see the game, only heard it. It sounded like just what you said though, he was a runner....was that the right call???

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Definitely helmet to helmet !!

Stairwayto7
12-09-2011, 12:45 AM
it did look really bad

LevonKirkland99
12-09-2011, 12:48 AM
It was helmet-to-helmet for sure, but Harrison tried to lower his helmet as if he was aiming for McCoy's chest. No matter how you slice it though, he will get fined for it by G.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2011, 01:19 AM
It was helmet-to-helmet for sure, but Harrison tried to lower his helmet as if he was aiming for McCoy's chest. No matter how you slice it though, he will get fined for it by G.

Indeed, and as much Steeler fans love to hate Deion Sanders he said pretty much the same thing after the game. James lowered his head to hit McCoy in the chest but McCoy was in a "bent" position after he threw it and unfortunately he was in direct line for a helmet to helmet. Browns fans everywhere are screaming dirty play, but that's typical.

As an official you have to call it but in a game like this, I'll take that penalty.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Possible suspension for Harrison for being a repeat offender?....Its BS but that is Roger The Clown's NFL.......

Raleigh Steel
12-09-2011, 06:27 AM
if james would have lead with his shoulder and not the crown of his helmet he would have avoided hitting colt's helmet altogether.

at some point james has got to realize that he just can't tackle a QB like that any more, whether he thinks he's a runner or not. whether he's trying to hit him in the chest or not. i know it's hard to change in a split second but like that, but he's gonna have to make the adjustment or keep finding his wallet lighter, keep putting his team in jeopardy with a 15 yrd penalty or worse...getting suspended.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Added this to the top post... man he knocked him into next week!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFW-Yezv0k

LatrobePA
12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Good hit to me, Colt should of been flagged for allwoing James to CRUSH him!!

Speeed
12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
I think that just emphasizes the absurdity of the rules; a player should not make a play a certain way even thought it is legal, because of a potential fine? Or the fickleness of the rules, Goodell, or the refs? That affects the game in both profound and obvious ways.

If McCoy does not lower this helmet, it is a clean hit. And from what I understand, there are some variables, and sound arguments, that this hit was legal. But of course, Goodell will fine Harrison, because he will not admit that the NFL refs made a mistake. That cannot happen, that will weaken his position as dictator and open himself up to future appeals with at least an iota of valid defense.

He will not weigh any of this with objectivity. Remember when this trend started? And Harrison was fined like 75K? That was ridiculous. How about fining the Browns for letting McCoy back on the field with a bruised melon?

This league pisses me off.

if james would have lead with his shoulder and not the crown of his helmet he would have avoided hitting colt's helmet altogether.

at some point james has got to realize that he just can't tackle a QB like that any more, whether he thinks he's a runner or not. whether he's trying to hit him in the chest or not. i know it's hard to change in a split second but like that, but he's gonna have to make the adjustment or keep finding his wallet lighter, keep putting his team in jeopardy with a 15 yrd penalty or worse...getting suspended.

Zachintosh66
12-09-2011, 12:23 PM
i disagree, i dont think it was that bad... from the slow motion angles that i seen, it looks like james didnt "get" him as much as he could of and barely (if any) actually even hit helmet to helmet. James pushes him, which IMO is where the force comes from.

#myperspective

StlersGuy
12-09-2011, 02:02 PM
So now im hearing that he is facing more then just a fine for this.

LatrobePA
12-09-2011, 02:06 PM
So now im hearing that he is facing more then just a fine for this.

Well of course, we wouldn't expect him to be able to play in San Fran that would be unfair to them so Goodell will make sure he evens the palying field!

StlersGuy
12-09-2011, 02:32 PM
The thing I see about the hit was Colt tucked the ball making him a runner yeah je did end up throwing it but only at last sec when he saw 92 in hid face. Yes Harrison did use his helmen and for that the flag was the right call I just dont see anymore then a fine

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Lot's of hate out there for James. Not from me. He may have saved the game at great personal loss to his ownself. $$$ plus.

steelfury455
12-09-2011, 06:52 PM
The thing I see about the hit was Colt tucked the ball making him a runner yeah je did end up throwing it but only at last sec when he saw 92 in hid face. Yes Harrison did use his helmen and for that the flag was the right call I just dont see anymore then a fine

Exactly! He TUCKED the ball till the last second and got leveled. I believe "helmet to helmet" may apply here since he did not cross the line of scrimmage which would make him a runner and all bets are off. But discretion should be used by the league since he was well outside the pocket and appeared to be a runner. I have zero issue with the hit. James didn't even really lay into him. To me it was a hard shove with incidental helmet contact. Still hard to believe how far this game has degraded in the past few years. I don't use "hate" much but man I hate that Goodell..

Ravens1
12-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Reward to whoever flattens Harrison, Ben, Ward and Polo for good.

lloydfan4life
12-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Maybe you can talk to ray ray and just get him to stab them. :dunno:

MattyVfromCT
12-09-2011, 08:41 PM

reward to whoever pulls off the ultimate miracle, getting you out of mommy's basement and finds you a social life.........

Ravens1
12-09-2011, 08:42 PM
No need to... the mans a bully...HISTORY of bad hits. Easy to take bully's out.

BTW...you play your last game at Cleveland. Can you suck any worse there?

DIESELMAN
12-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Really? Your the guy who cheapshots someone in the back of the head with a beer bottle in a bar fight. What a bitch you are.....

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

MattyVfromCT
12-09-2011, 08:51 PM

interesting. how are these hits any "better"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFuoY0Tw-VI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeLKsV6FGpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVc32igKZC8

typical hypocritical baltimoron. bully? are you for real? THIS IS FOOTBALL! you're supposed to HIT. it's a PHYSICAL GAME. don't like it? i suggest you stick to watching tennis while you knit sweaters with your mommy.........

JensK
12-09-2011, 09:26 PM

Who knows? At least we were able to beat off a Jaguars team which sucked so bad the owner had to sell the freaking club, fire the coach and bench their not only one, but two starting QBs.

Speeed
12-09-2011, 09:54 PM
The Ravens won by two scores, the Steelers won by two scores. The Browns scored 10 points against the Ravens, they scored 3 against the Steelers. As result, with the wild difference in scoring, I can see how you can be so smarmy.

I don't get fans. Are you friggin' blind, or stupid? I mean that honestly. You know that on any given day, the Steelers can beat the Ravens and the Ravens could beat the Steelers. And fans will run their mouths like they actually have something to do with the outcome, or have stock in the game.

It is football. Just watch and comment intelligently. It goes a long way.

And remember, we are in first place in the division, with the number 1 defense. So take that!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2011, 01:24 AM
In the aftermath of the Steelers' sluggish 14-3 victory over Cleveland on Thursday night, an unapologetic James Harrison was somewhat perplexed about the roughing-the-passer penalty he incurred late in the fourth quarter.

Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy left the pocket to complete a pass to Montario Hardesty with 5:59 to play and the Browns trailing, 7-3. Harrison delivered a vicious helmet-to-helmet blow that left McCoy stretched out on the cold, ragged Heinz Field turf.

The penalty tacked on 15 yards, placed the ball on the Steelers' 19 and positioned the Browns to steal a rare victory in this one-sided AFC North rivalry. But five plays later, cornerback William Gay intercepted a hurried pass from a disoriented McCoy.
Harrison isn't likely to escape the wrath of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell when league officials deliberate next week to consider either a fine or suspension -- or both.
"From what I understand, once the quarterback leaves the pocket, he's a runner," Harrison said. "All the 'defenseless' liberties a quarterback has in the pocket are gone.
"You can tackle him just as if he's a running back. The hit wasn't late, so I really don't understand why it was called. We'll see what transpires later on in the week."
According to a league spokesman, Harrison's hit on McCoy probably will be reviewed early next week to determine whether referee Ed Hochuli's crew erred in penalizing Harrison for illegal contact to the head - a rule change tweaked specifically to protect "a passer who is in a defenseless posture."

Harrison clearly made contact with McCoy's helmet as he torpedoed his 255-pound body into the Browns' quarterback, who was exposed after releasing the pass. McCoy, who later complained of concussion-like symptoms, said he couldn't remember Harrison's hit. He was visibly dazed as he walked through the stadium corridor prior to his postgame interview.

Harrison and his agent, Bill Parise, are preparing for Goodell to deliver the next blow in a verbal sparring match that began when Harrison publicly ridiculed the commissioner during the NFL lockout for insinuating he's a dirty player.

However, it's Harrison's past that appears to give Goodell leverage to issue a significant fine. The All-Pro linebacker was fined more than $100,000 for three incidents last season, including a helmet-to-helmet blow to Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

"There was nothing dirty about that (McCoy) hit," Parise said Friday. "There was nothing malicious about it. It was nothing more than a great player making a great play.
"I don't think anyone watching (Thursday) night - including the league office - feels that was a flagrant hit. It's just football. It was a tenth of a second between (McCoy) releasing the ball and James hitting him."

Parise acknowledged that he and Harrison exchanged text messages yesterday, but declined to say if their conversation centered on how they will move forward if the league opts to fine Harrison.

"There are a couple of issues here," Parise said. "The (league) will look at the tape, and I would want to hear what they say before James and I make a decision.
"I'm certainly willing to appeal. Right now, we're all sitting here saying, 'What if?' I think it's proven that appeals are basically worthless."

However, Parise convinced league officials last season to reduce two of Harrison's fines.

It may not factor into Goodell's decision, but the Steelers are among the most heavily fined teams in the league this season. Safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu have both been fined twice this season, including Clark's $40,000 fine for his Nov. 6 hit on Ravens tight end Ed Dickson.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Harrison%20awaits%20repercussions%20from%20hit%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_771327.html#ixzz1g6ejGbP6)

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-10-2011, 01:28 AM

u obviously pissed about something. what is your fn problem dude?

jpele
12-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Lot's of hate out there for James. Not from me.

Nor from me or Peter King:

On Harrison:
I've watched the replay maybe 10 times now. Colt McCoy leaves the pocket, runs to his left, tucks the ball under his right arm, and a step or step-and-a-half before making contact with Harrison, pulls the ball out and quickly flips it to Montario Hardesty. Harrison hits McCoy helmet-to-helmet right in McCoy's facemask, and McCoy falls to the turf. Harrison gets flagged for roughing the passer.
Here's where the debate comes in, and why I believe it will be hard for the NFL to suspend Harrison: If McCoy was viewed as a runner -- which he surely would be while having the ball tucked under his arm, with no intention of throwing it -- then once he is out of the pocket, he is treated like a running back, not a quarterback. And a runner can be hit helmet-to-helmet without penalty.
But if a quarterback leaves the pocket with the intention still to pass, he loses some protection from the rules of being in the pocket. He can be hit low, and the one-step rule about hitting a quarterback after the release of the ball goes away.
After the game, Harrison told reporters: "From what I understand, once the quarterback leaves the pocket, he's considered a runner.''
Not exactly. If he leaves the pocket and looks to be intending to throw, he can't be hit helmet-to-helmet. If he leaves the pocket and appears to be a runner, he can be hit helmet-to-helmet.
It'll be a close call for discipline czars Ray Anderson and Merton Hanks to decide next week. And Harrison should have aimed lower anyway. But I don't know how they look at the replay and say McCoy isn't a runner when he has the ball tucked under his right arm. And is running.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/12/09/week-14/index.html#ixzz1g8i4ACAV

86WARD
12-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Possible suspension for Harrison for being a repeat offender?....Its BS but that is Roger The Clown's NFL.......

Seymour wasn't suspended for being a repeat offender...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I really don't think Harrison is going to get suspended. The backlash that would ensure from the Steelers organization and the fans would be pretty brutal especially with the post season coming. I know he wants to make James the poster child for his NEW non contact league, but considering he hasn't gotten fined this year and we're into December now a suspension is pretty unlikely.

UKSTEELER
12-10-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm a big fan of Silverback, defended him over last years hits which I deemed pretty clean and just football.

After all that's been said and done and all the contact rule changes, I was disappointed by this hit by James - to my mind the ball had gone, harrisons head was up, he had time to pull away to some extent. Looked to me a deliberate hit?

Two years ago, I'd have applauded it, but times have changed. Harrison should have known better. If this had happened to ben we'd all be bitching and moaning.

Just way I see it. If James is suspended he's only got himself to blame IMHO

TESS743
12-10-2011, 09:40 PM
You know, from your post, I bet you were laughing and toasting when BB was being helped from the field. But, I'd bet the look on your face was priceless when saw him back on the field in the second half. You Raven fans are classless.

Real Deal Steel
12-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Harrison DID NOT try to hit Mccoy helmet to helmet. But Mccoy was acting like he was running past the line of scrimmage and pulled up at the line at the last possible second.

Now my understanding is this: If it's a runner, then helmet to helmet is okay. Because Mendy got hit helmet to helmet at the goal line but nothing was called because he was a runner.

Well if Mccoy crosses the line of scrimmage, he too is a runner. And since he was playing with the line of scrimmage..........................

But Harrison is going to get fined, but anyone who saw the play knows Harrison wasn't trying to hit him helmet to helmet.