PDA

View Full Version : Wallace - Welker

Goodfrom55
12-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Looking at how NE use Welker in the slot and how he uses his speed to get open and accumulate a lot of YAC, what would be the downside of the Steelers keeping Wallace as the #1 WR, but lining him up in the slot? In multiple sets, have Brown and /or Sanders/Ward/Cotch on the other side with Heath as the TE.

Not looking to reinvent the wheel here, but would be a neat little wrinkle moving forward in the season. Think of the matchup issues it would cause putting a speedster like that inside. Now you're forcing a CB inside and a safety to cover the outside WR.

I think it would benefit the Steelers but am curious as to what the rest of you armchair OC's think. . .

Steelers_All_Day_43
12-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Wallace played in the slot in his rookie year so I could see it happening again. He just doesn't run good enough routes yet to be a consistent threat underneath on the outside.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2011, 10:41 PM
The more ways that you can get Wallace the ball, the better. Using him on Slants and in the slot in different situations would be something you could bank on for big plays at any given time. I think Antonio Brown plays that role as well too, as does Sanders. All 3 guys are fearless and able to play virtually anywhere Arians wants to line them up. I think Brown is probably alittle quicker out of the gate but certainly any of them could make an impact.

connecticutsteel
12-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Wallace is not and all routes guy like AB Wallace is the strech the field 15-95 yrd range

StillinBaltimore
12-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Also, Welker and Brady are on the same page every second of the game. And I don't think Wallace would hold up very well in the middle of the field for too long. Welker is small but compact like Rice. But I like the idea of putting him on linebackers in coverage.

Rampage
12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Different players to me. Wallace exploits secondaries with his speed while Welker exploits them with very crisp route running. Wallace may get there eventually, but for now he isn't the same type of receiver.

Really, I think Antonio Brown could be used more in the slot. He has good speed, good hands, good toughness and he looks like he is running better routes each week. He could be that quick, shifty receiving threat for this team.

mcfly06
12-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Welker-Wallace two different players,and the o new england runs is diff from ours.i want to give Wallace the ball any way we can,but i dont want him going over the middle alot lol i dont want him getting hurt.I do like the idea of him getitng linebacker coverage tho hed win all day.Me personally I think he could get the 2,000 rec yards a season. I expect this thursday even tho browns have number 1 d on the pass; which is deceving in its self cuz all the teams do is run against them. I expect the steelers to hit them deep with Wallace on 2-5 passes if they dont ill be mad lol.. I want us to score more than 35 i think we will and can and should.lol

LatrobePA
12-06-2011, 02:19 PM
No comparison...Sorry!

pimplydan
12-06-2011, 09:32 PM
It,s a good point , but in my opinion , Antonio Brown looks more like a Welker than Wallace .
Another thing , did you notice , most of the time Ben tries to hit Wallace deep he is lined up as a slot receiver .
Don't over tax Wallace , things are good as they are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wes Walker is a short receiver , he cuts in he cuts out and nobody gets a good shot at him , Wallace ???????
I'm not sure he can do the same things without paying the price , Brown , it's another story .

BlitzburghRockCity
12-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Welker is just so quick; one or 2 steps and he's at full speed and able to cut on a dime. That's why he's so valuable to Tom Brady. Mike Wallace has blazingly, stupid, speed but he takes long strides and takes him a little bit longer to get going. Longer of course being a relative term; the dude is beyond fast but Welker is quicker. 2 different receivers but both equally as valuable.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-06-2011, 10:58 PM
I still loved when Ryan Clark almost killed Wes Welker...lol

Goodfrom55
12-07-2011, 09:15 AM
I suppose I was misunderstood in this post, but all of you make great points. I was not comparing Welker to Wallace, but was thinking how hard it is to cover a speedy receiver in the slot and having Wallace there would make it harder for teams to double cover him. If you double cover the slot receiver and leave the WR's single covered, you're playing with fire, IMO. Putting Wallace in the slot might put him in more open space and give him more opportunities to get more YAC. It would be a defensive coordinator nightmare, but it is also risk-reward for the potential beatings he could sustain.

Well, one thing we know, is with Arians, anything is possible.