PDA

View Full Version : Pass interference in 2nd quarter

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Penalties ravaged the Bengals all day. In all, they were called for 10 penalties for 109 yards. Conversely, the Steelers were called for four penalties and 29 yards.
But it was a pass interference call on Bengals safety Chris Crocker in the second quarter that might have been the killer for Cincinnati.

With the Steelers up, 7-0, and the ball at their 35, Roethlisberger went deep down the middle to Wallace. Crocker was called for interference on the play, and the ball was placed at the Cincinnati 20.

The Steelers scored three plays later.

"We got a big pass interference penalty down the middle of the field on a ball that wasn't catchable," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said.

Crocker agreed: "I touched him, but I thought it was uncatchable. But what can you do? You have to keep playing."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11339/1194644-66-0.stm#ixzz1ffYHvo18)

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2011, 09:10 AM
I have to admit, I didn't think that was a legitimate pass interference penalty either. However since the Steelers get called for so many phantom penalties on any given week, I'll take one that goes in our favor for once.

LatrobePA
12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
I thought it was border line, but felt he had a chance to catch it..

TampaSteelGirl
12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
I have to admit, I didn't think that was a legitimate pass interference penalty either. However since the Steelers get called for so many phantom penalties on any given week, I'll take one that goes in our favor for once.

Totally agree here and it's not like that penality would have changed the outcome of the game as we owned them :rofl:

StillinBaltimore
12-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Tunch and Bill watched the replay a couple of times and Tunch thought it was a bad call at first too. But after the replay he said that Crocker had Wallaces arm pinned down. And I agree with Blitz... if we get one of those our way... I'll take it! lol

igor0190
12-05-2011, 10:00 AM
It may not had appeared to be a catchable ball... But it's Mike Wallace... The fastest receiver in the NFL. You can't touch a guy moving that fast without it being noticed...

SteelDad
12-05-2011, 10:22 AM
So hard to say what is a 'catchable' ball anymore with players like Wallace in the League. Either way, these calls balance out over time and frankly, it could have easily been called defensive holding for pinning the arm down.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
So hard to say what is a 'catchable' ball anymore with players like Wallace in the League. Either way, these calls balance out over time and frankly, it could have easily been called defensive holding for pinning the arm down.

That's a good point, and had it not been defensive holding atleast we'd have all been screaming for a non call. Either way most times the Steelers never get these types of calls so I'll take one now and then even if it's controversial.

Stone
12-05-2011, 10:56 AM
That's a good point, and had it not been defensive holding atleast we'd have all been screaming for a non call. Either way most times the Steelers never get these types of calls so I'll take one now and then even if it's controversial.

Ditto

I'd like to see it again, I think he impeded Wallace from getting to the ball which is why it looked uncatchable.

Big T
12-05-2011, 11:56 AM
That ball was definitely catchable. It was thrown too far left so when Mike turned inside to get it, Crocker was right in his mug, preventing him from making an attempt. There may not have been much contact, but I think it was mostly due to the defender cutting him off from the ball without looking back for it.

coldrolled
12-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Ditto

I'd like to see it again, I think he impeded Wallace from getting to the ball which is why it looked uncatchable.

you are correct... did you watch the packers game, aaron gets the same calls often on incompletes as does brady.

go steelers...:cope::cope:

CowherPower
12-05-2011, 01:25 PM
It could have gone either way, I have little doubt of that. These officials just really have no idea what they are calling anymore. This is why I'm such an advocate for instant replay in certain types of penalty situations; at least having the ability as a coach to challenge if they want.

As of yesterday, it may very well have gone against us, but how many times have calls gone against the Steelers that shouldn't have been that could have made a difference?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Wallace did have his arm pinned by Crocker......Almost any ball is catchable when we're talking Mike Wallace...lol

Rampage
12-05-2011, 05:24 PM
I thought PI was pretty cheesy there. An illegal contact or hold, alright. PI, eh, not too sure about that.

Goodfrom55
12-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Makes up for the phantom PI penalty vs Heath negating COtchery's TD in Cincy 3 weeks ago.

DIESELMAN
12-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Going back to some of the Bungholes forums after the game.....pathetic. A lot of the members screaming they got raped by the refs, Steelers paid the refs, they can't catch a break and to top it off saying it was along the same lines as our SB win against Seattle. Wow is all I can say.......

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

Goodfrom55
12-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Going back to some of the Bungholes forums after the game.....pathetic. A lot of the members screaming they got raped by the refs, Steelers paid the refs, they can't catch a break and to top it off saying it was along the same lines as our SB win against Seattle. Wow is all I can say.......

WHen a team loses 10-7 or something close, and there is a questionable PI call, OK. But when a team loses by 4 TD's, C'Mon. . .

DIESELMAN
12-05-2011, 06:32 PM
WHen a team loses 10-7 or something close, and there is a questionable PI call, OK. But when a team loses by 4 TD's, C'Mon. . .

No doubt but these are Bunghole fans we're talking about. Any sign of a good season and they're the next best thing since sliced bread. That "good" season starts to go to hell, it's the refs are to blame or oh woe is me we can't catch a break.

jpele
12-05-2011, 07:05 PM

It was Kimo von Oelhoffen

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Bengal fans, or anyone else for that matter, don't have a leg to stand on with refs blowing calls and giving breaks to other teams. The Steelers get the short end of the stick every year, especially the last 2 seasons when all these fines started coming down and Ray Anderson tightened the reigns on physicality in the NFL.

I wouldn't want to be an NFL official right now. Those guys are scrutinized by the league 9 ways to Sunday. Call this, don't call that, call this but only with A,B,& C are also happening but be sure that D is in play too?

Couple that with the usual amount of "judgment" calls that the officials make every week and it's just not a good situation right now.