PDA

View Full Version : Ward reaches one milestone, 10 catches away from 1,000 (Update, now 5 away)

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Bruce Arians and Big Ben force fed Hines Ward to the ball today in order to help get him to those 2 final records in what may be his last season.

I'm sure they would never admit they were purposefully trying to get him extra work but you know that was part of it if the game lent itself to a situation where they could do so. Hines is clearly no longer a feature receiver, we all know this and have talked about it at length. You never want to do something just for 1 player if it compromises your chance to win a game, but I don't have a problem with Hines getting 5 catches today and reaching 12,000 receiving yards for his career.

He finished with 5 catches for 30 yds., with a long of 12 yds. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had kept him in the game late just to see if they could get him a few more. I'm not surprised they didn't but it certainly wouldn't have been a huge shocker had they done so.

4 games left, 10 catches needed, basically get him 3 touches a game if you can and get this over with.

Speeed
12-04-2011, 05:47 PM
That seems to be a normal showing for him, regardless of a quest of a record. I think they used him usual. The hype over record is well, just a hype.

Stairwayto7
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I dont think its hype, I think Ben and co. are going to make an effort to make sure Hines gets 1000

Steel Trap86
12-04-2011, 05:51 PM
I have no doubt he will get it

floodcitygirl
12-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I think they should help him as long as it doesn't compromise the game. He's been a class act thats put his team first.

JensK
12-04-2011, 05:55 PM
If they dominate Browns (which they might), then just throw 10 screen passes to Hines and get this done with already.

LevonKirkland99
12-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Are people here annoyed that Ward is trying to get his record on his last season as a Steeler? I don't think Ward catches was in any was detrimental to the team's success today!
We won the game, go have a beer or smthg...

jpele
12-04-2011, 07:14 PM
If they dominate Browns (which they might), then just throw 10 screen passes to Hines and get this done with already.

I agree with throwing to him but please no more WR screens, we're flirting with disaster there. Teams are looking for that play and it is going to cost us .

SteelerJay
12-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Are people here annoyed that Ward is trying to get his record on his last season as a Steeler? I don't think Ward catches was in any was detrimental to the team's success today!
We won the game, go have a beer or smthg...

No we want to see him get it he deserves it, he isn't complaining about it either, he has accepted his role, but the team was blowing the bengals out so they started to force feed him to help him reach that milstone, something i dont think anyone here has a problem with as long it doesnt effect the outcome of the game and today it didnt

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2011, 11:24 PM
I don't think they are annoyed by it, they just don't want to become a distraction because the Steelers have no margin for error.

I personally think it would be a travesty to see Hines finish out this year not getting the record. He's done enough for this franchise over the last decade + to get this last milestone award.

Lunchbucket
12-05-2011, 12:20 AM
I agree with throwing to him but please no more WR screens, we're flirting with disaster there. Teams are looking for that play and it is going to cost us .

I hate the overuse of the WR screen. Just reminds me of Suggs picking it off. Make that mistake against a faster corner,and it's pick 6

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-05-2011, 01:04 AM
They throw those bubble screens way to many times a game anyhow so what is the difference if it's to Ward or not? I can't remember 1 being broken for a huge gain or TD. Sure he's not the fastest receiver but speed was NEVER a part of his game,and not one WR on this team goes across the middle with the tenacity that he does. He has given this team his all through out is career and he deserves to have this record !!!:tt02::tt02::tt02:

LatrobePA
12-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Bubble screens make me puke!

BUT, sometimes they work!

SnakeEyes43
12-05-2011, 08:21 AM
The hype over record is well, just a hype.

It's not hype, Ward has talked about how bad he wants that record. They'll get it for him before it's all over.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Hines Ward has seen his role in the Steelers offense diminish over the course of this season, but the 14-year veteran once again took center stage Sunday.

Ward led the team with five catches totaling 30 yards in the win against Cincinnati. His second reception put him at 12,008 yards for his career. He is the first Steelers receiver to reach the mark and just the 19th player in NFL history.

The catch that put him over 12,000 was, fittingly, a 12-yard pass over the middle. It's the kind of route that has defined Ward's time with the Steelers.
"Mike [Wallace] was teasing me on the sidelines, saying 'Not bad for a lot of option routes and choice routes,'" Ward said. "That's a lot of passes, considering I don't really go deep all the time."

Ward said Wallace, Antonio Brown and the other Steelers receivers were some of his biggest supporters when he reached the milestone.

"The guy's a class act," Wallace said. "He's humble. He doesn't cry when he doesn't get the ball. His role has decreased a little bit, he doesn't cry about that. I'm always happy for him to see things go his way."

Ward was in the game for 20 plays against the Bengals. The past two contests he was on the field for just nine and 16 snaps, respectively.

Ward also became just the third player with 12,000 receiving yards and multiple Super Bowl championships. The other two -- Jerry Rice and Art Monk -- are enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Ward also inched closer to another milestone Sunday. After his five catches, Ward is 10 away from becoming the eighth player in NFL history with 1,000 career receptions.
"To go over 12,000 yards, do it at home and to beat the Cincinnati Bengals, today was a trifecta," Ward said. "It was an all-around good day."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11339/1194644-66-0.stm#ixzz1ffX6JX7c)

Goodfrom55
12-05-2011, 07:12 PM
I think they should help him as long as it doesn't compromise the game. He's been a class act thats put his team first.

Agreed. His plays were helpful yesterday and albeit in a smaller role, he continues to make positive contributions to this team.

DBR96A
12-06-2011, 04:02 AM
It might be tough, but I want Hines Ward to get 90 TD receptions. He has 85 right now. Only 10 other players have 90 TD receptions, and 90 is a nice, round number.

coldrolled
12-06-2011, 08:29 AM
run the score up on the browns and rams and use ward alot.

LevonKirkland99
12-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Bump

Will Hines get ten more catches before the season is over? :)

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Receiver Hines Ward finds himself (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11356/1198550-66.stm#ixzz1hH6gI0bR) buried on the depth chart again with his chances of catching nine more passes to become the eighth player in NFL history to reach 1,000 slipping away.

Ward was demoted from his starting job to the No. 4 or 5 receiver Nov. 13 in Cincinnati. But, in the next game, Nov. 27 at Kansas City, he emerged again not only as a starter but as a target and caught nine passes over the next two games.
Since then, however, he has been thrown just one pass over the past two games, catching it for 6 yards, and found himself behind Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Jerricho Cotchery Monday night in San Francisco, where not one pass came his way.
Ward would like return for the 2012 season but, of course, he would have to be invited to do so by the Steelers. Does he think Saturday could be his final game at Heinz Field?

"I don't even think like that," Ward said. "Every year's different. I'm just glad to still be here. That hasn't even crossed my mind yet.

"I just want to win, it really doesn't matter about the catches. If we win, we still have a chance. It's always great to win at home and on Christmas Eve.

"I still have two games. It's great to surpass 12,000 yards. I'm on the cusp of getting 1,000 catches. But, for me, it's all about winning."
The more I think about this, quite honestly, I'm really pulling for Ward to hit this milestone. I think he deserves to get this honor if there's any way possible for it to happen. Technically he has 2 games left in the regular season to get them but if he makes those catches in the post season they still count towards his 1000 receptions for his career. His career would seem somewhat incomplete, IMO, if he doesn't hit this record.

Risking a win just to get Hines his catches, that I wouldn't agree with, but there are ways to him the ball and still be effective.

Mean Linebacker
12-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Personally I think the Steelers owe it to Hines to get him this record. It shouldn't be hard to get him the ball. This is going to be his last year I think, let him ride off into the sunset with the last attainable record he can get and maybe he just might help you win a long the way too.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-23-2011, 02:32 AM
For 14 years, Hines Ward has taken a beating (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%27%20Ward%20is%20closing%20in%20on%20Hein z%20finale%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_773380.html#ixzz1hKve7wWU), sacrificing his body by willingly running crossing routes patrolled by heavy-hitting safeties and head-hunting linebackers.

Every time, it seemed, he pulled himself up with that familiar, in-your-face smile still intact.

But age and experience has left his battle-weary body vulnerable. He limped off with an ankle injury earlier this season against Arizona and was KO'd by Baltimore's Ray Lewis on a helmet-to-helmet blow that left him concussed.

At 35, Ward has played through the headaches and pain. But the usually reliable and durable wide receiver has spent much of the past three games watching second-year receiver Antonio Brown transition effortlessly into the starting role.
Ward insisted Thursday that he's fit and healthy as the Steelers prepare to play St. Louis on Saturday at Heinz Field.

But as he sits just nine catches from becoming the eighth receiver in NFL history with 1,000 career receptions, he also faces the possibility that this could be his last game as a Steeler at Heinz Field if the team doesn't earn a home playoff game.
"I would love to get it, but I'm not thinking about any records," he said. "If not, I'm not going to retire any time soon. I'll play until the wheels fall off.

"I feel like the move (less playing time) isn't any indication that I've fallen off or anything. When I was out there, I was open."

Ward, who had at least one reception in 186 consecutive games, was shut out in the Steelers' 20-3 loss to San Francisco. Three times this season, he has been held to one reception. He was on the field for just nine snaps against the 49ers.
"I have no idea what's going on," Ward said. "You have to ask the coaching staff. For me, the coaches make the decisions. I just live by them. No one has said anything to me or explain the reasons why. It's not my job to question, and they aren't obligated or have to explain.

"It's a tough enough business, and it's hard to make personnel changes. So be it. It's not going to change the way I play."

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians wouldn't speculate on Ward's breaking the record or future with the team.

"No one's got a crystal ball, no one knows what the future brings,'' Arians said. "I don't even want to think about him not being around. We'd miss him way too much. When those times come, they'll come. But it's not this week."

It might be inconceivable to imagine for teammates and fans alike, but suddenly, there are far more questions than answers about Ward's future.

There's no doubt that Brown and Mike Wallace have become Roethlisberger's primary targets. Roethlisberger went their way a combined 22 times and threw six times to Jerricho Cotchery against San Francisco, but Ward got nary a look his way.
Cotchery, though, also warns observers to ignore the numbers.

"As a player, you have to live with the coaches' decisions," said Cotchery, who had five catches against the 49ers. "I remember coming in here last year in the AFC Championship Game (as a Jets player) and seeing him catch a touchdown pass.
"At the end of the day, everyone in this locker room knows what Hines is capable of come playoff time. When you're building something, you let young guys mature to make sure they're ready to go."

Nose tackle Casey Hampton isn't worried. He figures, with the playoffs around the corner, Ward will again be a focal point of an offense that has scored only 10 points in the past six quarters.

"I always say when it gets cold, you don't want any other receiver out there but Hines," Hampton said. "The other guys are great receivers, but when you think about Hines' history, you know what he can do."

Ward has spent much of this season mentoring the Steelers' young receivers. Now, he's ready to show them a few postseason tricks.

"He's definitely been a great mentor, definitely taught me, Antonio and Mike a lot of things," wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders said. "Just teaching me how to take care of my body, how to be a great route runner and, in general, how to be a good pro. I look up to the guy.

"If Hines does decide to retire, I'm happy for him. I hope that he gets the 1,000-catch mark, and I hope that we can send him out of here Super Bowl champs. That would be beautiful if he decides to retire."

Retire?

For Ward, it's out of the question. Instead, he's looking toward the playoffs and a chance to prove he's still got it.

"It's a new ballgame in the playoffs," said Ward, whose five 100-yard playoff receiving games is fifth best all-time. "It's what I try to tell the young guys: Everybody turns it up a notch in the playoffs.

"I want to be that guy Ben can rely on come playoff time."

Things may change after the season is over, but for now he wants to keep playing. Would we expect anything less from him?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2011, 07:25 PM
4 catches today for Hines in the Rams game. He now needs 5 more to reach 1K for his career. The Ward Watch is in full effect for next weekend!

I'm honestly a bit surprised they didn't actually try and get him the ball a few more times late in the game. When you have a nice lead and your defense is putting up a shutout, that's the time to try this kind of stuff.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-24-2011, 07:52 PM
He will get it.........no doubt in my mind BA will force feed the ball to Hines next week.....

jpele
12-24-2011, 09:00 PM
It's a shame being up 20-0 in the fourth quarter they didn't even make an attempt to getWard the record.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2011, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the opening play goes right to Hines on a bubble screen or some quick pass in the flat. In fact I think I'd be almost surprised if they don't do that..LOL

LevonKirkland99
12-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Force feed Ward the ball next week...fine by me.

CowherPower
12-28-2011, 11:45 AM
He will get it.........no doubt in my mind BA will force feed the ball to Hines next week.....

I'm really beginning to think so as well. It used to be nothing for Hines to get 6-8 catches or more in a game. He's still able to make those tough catches but you just won't find him running away from anyone after he does.

LarryNJ
12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Get him the ball...it's very simple to have him get 5 catches. 4 quick easy ones screens, shuttle, slant whatever it takes. When we get in the Red Zone make number 5 a TD pass. There's a very good chance Hines won't be a Steeler next year. He deserves this milestone and there's no excuse for him not to get it this week.

When he does I'll predict he gets a nice ovation from the fans in Cleveland.

K Train
12-28-2011, 04:54 PM
i hope he gets shutout. his personal milestone means nothing to me.

at least its most likely a meaningless game if we have to force him to ball for no real reason

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Tell us how you really feel man, LOL.

He won't get shut out, if the Steelers are smart and they are behind Hines getting this record they'll figure out a way to do it. Tomlin and Arians have said they won't do anything out of the ordinary to get people their records, which is the right way to go. However, you have to think they will put Ward on the field in situations for him to make some catches.

LevonKirkland99
12-28-2011, 09:10 PM
i hope he gets shutout. his personal milestone means nothing to me.

at least its most likely a meaningless game if we have to force him to ball for no real reason

Don't be a hater, Ward has done nothing to you. he put it all out for the Black & Gold over his career.

pimplydan
12-29-2011, 01:26 PM
He is going to get it ! I will and most of you will stand up in your living to cheer and clap for him .

So when that happens , rise your beer and chin chin with me and all of steeler nation .

What would be cool too would be if we all take a picture of ourself doing it and sent it to steeler addicts . We can make a post of Hines accomplishment with all our cheers to Hines .

I'm in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black&Gold Munch
12-29-2011, 10:07 PM
I've always loved Hines, he is the best wide receiver this team has ever had. He deserves this honor before he hangs it up, whenever that is. I saw a video of him the other day, he is humble and not openly worried about getting those 5 more catches but you know he wants them deep down inside.

LevonKirkland99
12-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Ward milestone means a lot to Stiller fans. There is no tougher receiver on that roster like #86.