PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Tuesday, 11-29-11

LatrobePA
11-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Tuesday with Tomlin

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin sounded optimistic about LaMarr Woodley returning to the lineup this week against the Bengals. Woodley has missed the past three games with a hamstring injury.

Same goes for safety Troy Polamalu. Tomlin said Polamalu has not had any concussion symptoms since Sunday and actually didn't have any during the game. But the Steelers erred on the side of caution.

I thought from the beginning Polamalu's injury appeared to be more of a shoulder than a head and watching it again, that still appeared to be the case.

Getting Woodley back would be huge for the Steelers. Stevenson Sylvester missed Sunday's game with a calf injury, while rookie Chris Carter and Larry Foote went down with hamstring injuries against the Chiefs. That left the Steelers with just four linebackers to finish Sunday's game.

Tomlin said he was unhappy with the results in the return game Sunday night. That could mean that Antonio Brown, who had been returning all the kicks, could move back into that spot.

Emmanuel Sanders was used in some situations against the Chiefs.

I'm not a big fan of using a starter as your primary return man. Why give some team's scrubs a shot at a receiver who's on pace to go over 1,000 yards receiving?

SteelJunkie
11-29-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm a fan of Brown doing it. With previous years we had bad returners. Its hard to replace Browns solid hands and explosiveness with team scrubs. Starting field position is that important in my eyes.

coldrolled
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm a fan of Brown doing it. With previous years we had bad returners. Its hard to replace Browns solid hands and explosiveness with team scrubs. Starting field position is that important in my eyes.

Starting on the 50 is something our offense needs right now. They have a hard time from the opponents 23 :cursin:

SnakeEyes43
11-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Pretty much good news on all fronts. I hope Wood and Troy are both back, as this is going to be a tough, but not unwinnable by any means, game without them.

As far as Troy having a shoulder injury as opposed to a head injury...doubt it. He went in head first like always, and his noggin hit that 290lb TEs knee and thigh. He also looked completely out as he landed, with his arms going limp. IMO, that was not a shoulder injury, unless shoulders injuries now render you unconscious.

And I'm fine with Brown returning kicks. Didn't Holmes continue to be a return man even after he became a starter? Sometimes a good return is all you need to get your team fired up and swing momentum your way. A good return man is invaluable.

LatrobePA
11-29-2011, 02:04 PM
D-Jax is a fulltime return man (when he's not benched)...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
The Sanders thing on returns was just a way to keep someone else available should they need it. Sanders is nowhere near as good as Brown so I would suspect Antonio Brown will be back as the primary guy this week.

I don't see a problem with Brown returning kicks, there are a lot of teams that use a starter in that role. In this business you need an edge any way you can get it and AB certainly provides a boost.

Goodfrom55
11-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Starting on the 50 is something our offense needs right now. They have a hard time from the opponents 23 :cursin:

Agreed, Brown should be back there. Kick returns are instinctive and AB has it, and you can't coach it.

IMO, playoffs started last week vs KC and this is simply the next step on the ladder.

--- Added 11/29/2011 at 03:24 PM ---

Not to mention a December game in Pittsburgh, field position is almost as important as scoring. AB gives the Steelers the best opportunity to be in prime field position.

K Train
11-29-2011, 05:32 PM
returner has to be brown, hell the cards use peterson who was a top 6 pick and their starting corner....best returner needs to be returning. if he got hurt on a kickoff return sanders would be better at filling in at WR than he is at KR

CowherPower
11-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Sanders just scares me when he is back there returning it. I don't know why but I get this odd feeling like something is going to happen to him. Probably just some dumb sense I have, HAHA, but I most definitely think Antonio needs to get that job back and in a hurry.

Playing with a short field is always ideal and Brown can give you that at any time.

Emmanuel could probably get better if he did it more often but AB seems to just have a knack for it so why not run with it.

K Train
11-29-2011, 05:37 PM
sanders isnt decisive enough in the return game...hes a smooth player though, not a quick one like brown

StillinBaltimore
11-30-2011, 10:48 AM
If something happened to brown on a kick return we would be calling for Tomlins head. Besides, whats field position if you can't score from inside the 10 anyway!?

LatrobePA
11-30-2011, 11:04 AM
If something happened to brown on a kick return we would be calling for Tomlins head. Besides, whats field position if you can't score from inside the 10 anyway!?

Not me...

Would I be calling for his head if Pouncey got hurt? NO, you put the best player in at that position and that is AB for kick off / punt returns..

pimplydan
11-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Doesn't D Jackson (Philly) A Peterson(Cards) return kicks ? Antonio is the return man that's all ,now lets go on. The game this weekend is going to be tough ! you know how division battles always even out .we are going to need Polamalu and Woodley on the field for this game . Tie your chin straps for this one it is going to go down to the end of the fourth quarter to decide the winner ,you watch !!!!!!!

Dobre Shunka
11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
AB is our starter return man and should be going forward. He's our best period.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Doesn't D Jackson (Philly) A Peterson(Cards) return kicks ? Antonio is the return man that's all ,now lets go on. The game this weekend is going to be tough ! you know how division battles always even out .we are going to need Polamalu and Woodley on the field for this game . Tie your chin straps for this one it is going to go down to the end of the fourth quarter to decide the winner ,you watch !!!!!!!

Can't we for once have an AFC North game where the Steelers don't it come down to a last minute play? Sooner or later the odds in our favor right? LOL

I agree this one is going to be a tough one. The Bengals secondary is struggling with injuries and lost players so I expect Ben to try and attack them; assuming the pass rush is held in check.

SteelDad
11-30-2011, 10:13 PM
You play to win the game....

Your best chance of winning is with AB deep. Also... Im a little concerned that Pouncey didnt practice today. Still sick?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
12-01-2011, 12:52 AM
LaMarr Woodley practiced in full for the first time since going down with a hamstring injury, putting the Steelers outside linebacker on track to play Sunday.
"Probably the most I've done (since the injury) so it felt good today so we'll have to see," Woodley said. "I felt pretty good and we'll have to wait to see throughout the week."

Woodley, who is tied for second in the AFC with nine sacks, has missed the last three games. Barring a setback Woodley is expected to play Sunday when Cincinnati visits Heinz Field for a 1 p.m. game.

"Each day I'm getting better," Woodley said.
While Woodley practiced today, the Steelers held strong safety Troy Polamalu and center Maurkice Pouncey out of drills.

Pouncey is dealing with a stomach virus that has caused the second-year man to lose a significant amount of weight. Polamalu left last Sunday night's game with concussion-like symptoms, but coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday that the six-time Pro Bowler has already passed a battery of tests and is expected to play against the Bengals.

The Steelers had two open locker room sessions for the media today, but Polamalu wasn't at either one.

From the PG