PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger says he's not worried about the offense

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Reporting to work Monday at the Steelers' practice facility may have doubled as punishment, to some degree.

The players had to sit and sift through film of their worst offensive showing since a seven-turnover disaster in Baltimore on Sept. 11.
The offense's body of, ahem, work in a 13-9 escape at Kansas City included five holding penalties, a single first down in the fourth quarter and just 290 yards of total offense.

And that's not even the worst of it.

The Steelers forced Kansas City into three first-half turnovers, and their average starting field position following the takeaways was the Chiefs' 23. The offense converted the turnovers and accompanying prime real estate into just 10 points, falling to deliver a knockout blow to the Chiefs.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, with reporters clustered around his locker after the game, dressed slowly and quietly. The scene did nothing to suggest the Steelers had improved to 8-3 and kept pace with the top teams in the AFC.

"I've been saying the past couple of weeks that we've steadily improved every week," Roethlisberger said after his streak of 200-yard passing games was snapped at 17. "I think we had our first setback, but I don't think it's anything to panic over."
"We know we didn't play well on offense," added wide receiver Mike Wallace, who caught just two passes for 17 yards. "We'll be better next week. Obviously, I don't think we can get any worse."

It could have been worse for the Steelers in Kansas City. They could have lost and all but taken themselves out of contention in the AFC North.

Ultimately, they got away with one, something that happened on the Sunday after Thanksgiving last season when Buffalo's Stevie Johnson dropped a sure touchdown pass in overtime.

If the Steelers are to again win the AFC North and that wouldn't have happened last year if Buffalo upset the Steelers they probably have to go at least 4-1 the rest of the way.

The offense used a get-out-of-jail-free card in Kansas City, but Wallace doesn't anticipate the Steelers needing any more of those.
"We can match anybody when we come to play," Wallace said.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%27%20Big%20Ben%20not%20worried%20about%20 offense%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_769488.html#ixzz1f4HyzDGw)

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Better to be lucky than good sometimes I guess, but we'll see how they respond next Sunday.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-29-2011, 01:20 AM
you know what I'm not worried either.....Still don't think this offense has peaked yet and really think they will put all together eventually.....maybe its just wishful thinking on my part but its what I think and I'm sticking to it...lol

Nolrog
11-29-2011, 07:40 AM
I'm worried. Not about the skill positions, but about the line. If the line would give time Ben could put up really solid numbers.

The line had been playing much better until last night. It's frustrating to see such a large step backwards. I think we need to spend another high pick on a lineman or pick up someone solid from free agency.

coldrolled
11-29-2011, 08:06 AM
who wrote this article in the trib...??

If the Steelers are to again win the AFC North — and that wouldn't have happened last year if Buffalo upset the Steelers — they probably have to go at least 4-1 the rest of the way.

This reporter expects the Ravens to lose two games?? We need to win all our games or the ravens are in. ben says.."Nothing to panic over..."

This team needs an OC that gets people playing nfl football. This is like a coutry club offense. Arians is worthless.

jpele
11-29-2011, 08:31 AM
No need to panic, you hit a bump in the road every now and again. A month ago everyone was writing off the Pats but I bet no ones worried today.

We're saving the best for last.

LatrobePA
11-29-2011, 09:35 AM
The offense and OC weren't expecting all the blitzes, the truth is we don't have an OC that can script a game plan to avoid the rush...

Did anyone watch MNF last night? Brees was rolling out and moving around making plays, we need a real OC to really get this offense clicking!!

Nolrog
11-29-2011, 09:44 AM
If the Steelers are to again win the AFC North . . . they probably have to go at least 4-1 the rest of the way.

This reporter expects the Ravens to lose two games?? We need to win all our games or the ravens are in. ben says.."Nothing to panic over..."

I agree with your comments. Steelers need to win out and get help. Baltimore has a very easy schedule. Pitt has an easy one, but travel to San Fran which will be a difficult game.

Baltimore could possibly lose one of the division games, or Rivers could remember how to play QB, but the reporter is foolish to think that Baltimore will lose at cleveland and hosting Indy. That's not going to happen.

Baltimore: @Cle, Ind, @SD, Cle, @Cin
Pittsburgh: Cin, Cle, @SF, StL, @Cle

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2011, 02:20 PM
The offense is more than capable of putting up high 20's or 30's on any given week. This past Sunday was not anything we want to relive but sometimes you get to a team that is desperate, plays inspired, and just flat out beats you in most every facet of the game. The offense wasn't operating with any consistency but they made enough plays to atleast keep the time of possession in their favor and get the 1 TD.

As players, they will never admit there's a problem, especially after 1 game. They know what they are capable of they just have to do it.

Raleigh Steel
11-29-2011, 02:59 PM
you know what I'm not worried either.....Still don't think this offense has peaked yet and really think they will put all together eventually.....maybe its just wishful thinking on my part but its what I think and I'm sticking to it...lol

:lol: yeah, and it's been what?...5 years now? when do we expect this offense to peak under brucie?

LatrobePA
11-29-2011, 03:56 PM
: when do we expect this offense to peak under brucie?

Never! He calls maybe 2-3 decent games a season!

He has no idea how to plan an attack for an all out blitz...

Goodfrom55
11-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Seriously, what's Ben supposed to say?

Anyway, no worries, just need to be a little more balanced and not force feed the deep ball.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2011, 08:59 PM

There's certainly no reason to push the panic button after 1 game. The Chiefs played inspired and deserve all the credit in the world for their defense.

If this offense ever actually does peak, it's going to be something magical to watch, it really is.

StlersGuy
11-29-2011, 09:20 PM
People don't panic... we will be fine our d is the best on the league and we will find the O when we need it. I think the issues we had with the O was because Big Ben was not 100% and you could tell he has hurting at times.

SteelDad
11-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Panic? No. Worry? Yes. Two things concern me coming out of KC. 1. The line seems to be regressing. Yes MP was sick as a dog but I dont think it would have helped a ton to have him in there as much blitzing as they were doing.

2. Can Arians adjust and get the ball to his receivers especially when Wallace is doubled?

This game is going to say a lot about the current state of the Steelers on Sunday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

UKSTEELER
11-30-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm afraid Brucies pass happy attack is going to come to a screeching halt over the next few weeks, the frigid weather will see to that!

LatrobePA
11-30-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm afraid Brucies pass happy attack is going to come to a screeching halt over the next few weeks, the frigid weather will see to that!

We have NO running game at this point so yes it is something to be concerned about..

pimplydan
11-30-2011, 12:12 PM
It was just a subpar game the offense will be fine.We play at home this week ,watch!

Goodfrom55
11-30-2011, 05:22 PM
The running game has been abandoned and I have a big problem with that. I know it is boring to do 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but sometimes, you have to.

How many 3rd and longs were the Steelers in on Sunday? Especially in the 4th quarter, run, run, will leave the Steelers in a 3rd and manageable 4 or less. Have to control the clock and the only way to do that is with the running game.

coldrolled
11-30-2011, 05:56 PM
harrison92, with our ol and ben's holding on to balls forever, we just need to go 5 wide more and that will fix everything... lol

Moondog
11-30-2011, 06:24 PM
I agree with Ben on the notion that the offense had been progressing up until KC where they did take a step back. The saying of Cowher about a fine line between winning and losing is also true about a blowout versus a nailbiter. The offense was a lost fumble and a couple of dropped passes from changing the entire dynamic of that game at KC. I'll be concerned if the offense shits the bed against the Bengals.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
I think we'll all be concerned if the Steelers can't move the ball for 2 weeks in a row, even against the Bengals who have a good defense.

There's no reason that Ben shouldn't be able to pass against these guys and with Pouncey back at Center the line should hopefully be able to get back into a groove again and keep that pass rush off Ben atleast somewhat.