PDA

View Full Version : How would you grade the coaching staff last night?

Stairwayto7
11-28-2011, 11:32 AM
I say C- , we got fooled on a block punt. We called an early timeout trying to get them jump offsides. We had 12 men on the field and still got burned for a 1st down. Anything I`m missing!

And again, if we are a running team, then how come we ran on first, ran on second, and passed on third and long!

Nolrog
11-28-2011, 12:12 PM
We got called for 12 men twice, once on O, once on D among numerous penalties we had. The team looked flat and the game plan was poor. We used an early time out (as usual) and did not adapt at all, and were shut out in the 2nd half. And if the 4-7 Chiefs got a little luck on that last drive, they could have beat us.

I give the coaching staff very poor marks for last night's game. . .

LatrobePA
11-28-2011, 12:24 PM
F-

The team was so unprepared it wasn't funny!

connecticutsteel
11-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Defense b+ offense D specials C

SnakeEyes43
11-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Overall: D-
OC: F
ST: D
DC: B

SteelDad
11-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I stated this in another thread but.... I just don't think this team realizes the approach other teams take when they play us. KC had to have that game last night with OAK and DEN winning earlier in the day. I don't think we had any urgency about us at all. And where was the vaunted no-huddle?

K Train
11-28-2011, 01:29 PM
i know most of you wont or dont care but the steeler offense has been beast lately and crennel called an incredible game. we should be able to appreciate a great called game and a great effort from a pretty bad team with signficant injuries to cassel, charles, and berry....the fake punts and stuff, they are giving the fans something to cheer for and going for it all in a game they were in over their heads in.....with pouncey out the line was in shambles with way to many misfits and not enough star power.

im just saying rather than ripping our guys a part...crennel and haley deserve some props, this was a speed bump the steelers made it over but some look at it as the end of the world

Black@Gold Forever32
11-28-2011, 01:45 PM
i know most of you wont or dont care but the steeler offense has been beast lately and crennel called an incredible game. we should be able to appreciate a great called game and a great effort from a pretty bad team with signficant injuries to cassel, charles, and berry....the fake punts and stuff, they are giving the fans something to cheer for and going for it all in a game they were in over their heads in.....with pouncey out the line was in shambles with way to many misfits and not enough star power.

im just saying rather than ripping our guys a part...crennel and haley deserve some props, this was a speed bump the steelers made it over but some look at it as the end of the world

The things that **** me off are dropped passes especially a dropped TD in the end zone......Plus all the holding penalties......Romeo called a great game but really Palko is the reason the Steelers won this game.....:lol: I'll take an ugly win any day over a pretty loss but the execution on offense must be better and the defense better find a pass rush.....A healthy Woodley helps greatly no doubt.....

Stairwayto7
11-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I will take an ugly win also. But I am not going to give to many props to crennel. Everyone game plans against every team. And our offense has to change and adapt just like thier defense. our coaching staff was off. Ben was off. Our Oline was off

K Train
11-28-2011, 02:00 PM
maybe one day everyone will learn that every win doesnt have to be a blowout lol

StillinBaltimore
11-28-2011, 02:03 PM
DC: B+, we did only give up 9 points to an NFL team.

OC: C-, no body was open or wanted to catch the ball and the Oline was getting son-ed all night. But I thought our play calling was bad at best.

ST: C-, There is no way they should pick up the first on a fake punt. Period.

HC: C, A bye week and the Chefs had a short week. No excuses for not punishing them.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2011, 05:44 PM
The Chiefs deserve a lot of credit for playing a great game on defense last night. They played inspired football especially with their front 7 and the pass rush. Their secondary, although spending most of the night holding, did play some good man to man in knocking away passes.

You can't account for injuries to guys like Pouncey that just throw the entire line into a state of shambles, that stuff just happens. The coaches also don't drop all the passes, miss blocks, fumble, miss tackles, or toss interceptions. However one thing they do have control of, atleast for the most part, is clock management which they continue to fail at time after time.

I swear this team burns through timeouts like they are candy. It's not so bad in the first half but in the 2nd half there's no reason to enter the 4th quarter with anything less than 2 timeouts remaining under normal circumstances. That's as much the coaches as it is Ben and that ridiculous quick snap/draw the defense off play that never works.

DIESELMAN
11-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Anything I`m missing?

Yeah....once again red zone opportunities are killing us along with what Danny was saying. Aside from the 2 yard TD pass, we were inside the 10 three times in the 1st half and came away with 3 points.....3 ****ing points? are you kidding me? No way this game should have been close. Granted, we couldn't predict Pouncey getting hurt, but we've been dealing with OL issues for many years. The complacency that infects this team every few weeks has got to stop. The Steelers offense can be so ****ing lethal it's not even funny. We should be throttling teams like the Chiefs.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

jpele
11-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Overall: D-
OC: F
ST: D
DC: B

Wow ! you gave the DC a B ....If I recall the game correctly it was >>>Tyler Palko<<<
not Brady or Rogers that marched down the field on our D and if not for a mistake by Dwayne Bowe they get the first down and from there we can only speculate.

From last year to date I give LeBeau a D.

Mike Tomlin
11-28-2011, 07:44 PM

As many dropped balls as there were how can you blame the coaches. I'm not just talking about the touch down I'm talkin about the couple heath dropped and Brown. It was just a bad night for the team in general AND WE STILL WON. The coaches put us in position time and time again and we missed chances to put that game out of reach. At some point you have to put the blame where it belongs, the players weren't executing. With all that being said congrats secondary for joining the rest of the league and actually getting multiple interceptions in a game and closing out the game two weeks in a row. I guess everyone has forgotten that.SN. I wish we would use Saunders more he has great feet for a guy that big.

--- Added 11/28/2011 at 05:44 PM ---

Also I guess this is news flash for some but KC has a good defense.

Clevelandsux
11-28-2011, 08:27 PM
I know a win is win. But I can't come out of that pathetic performance feeling positive. We looked lethargic and uninspired. Why can't we put teams away? Seems like its the samecrap everyweek.

Goodfrom55
11-28-2011, 08:36 PM
"C" Coaches didn't have the Steelers ready for this game, and if Cassel was playing last night, the Steelers lose this game.

However. . .

As usual, it wasn't Steelers vs Chiefs, it was Steelers vs. Steelers and they almost found yet another way to beat themselves. Wallace's dropped TD, Max Starks holding penalty which wiped out a PI penalty which would have given the Steelers 1st and goal at the 1, Moore's fumble inside the 5 yard line, Ben's brutal INT into double coverage.

Nolrog
11-28-2011, 08:49 PM
maybe one day everyone will learn that every win doesnt have to be a blowout lol

That may be true K, but not thumping a crappy team, getting the crap beat out of your offense and almost losing isn't the way to win.

Goodfrom55
11-28-2011, 09:29 PM
All things considered, a good team finds a way to win these types of games where everything is out of sync. They'll bounce back vs Cincy - thay have to.

jpele
11-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Also I guess this is news flash for some but KC has a good defense.

I guess if you consider the 20th ranked D good. 26th against the run 12th against the pass.

Goodfrom55
11-29-2011, 12:21 AM
I guess if you consider the 20th ranked D good. 26th against the run 12th against the pass.

It's all about match ups. Look at what the terrible Colts' defense did to the Steelers. They were small and fast which was a bad matchup. Romeo knew the Steelers have a hard time picking up the blitz so he brought it all night last night and the Steelers couldn't stop it.

connecticutsteel
11-29-2011, 05:58 AM

finally!!!!!!!!! well said we won damn it and people are bitchin

jpele
11-29-2011, 08:34 AM
It's all about match ups. Look at what the terrible Colts' defense did to the Steelers. They were small and fast which was a bad matchup. Romeo knew the Steelers have a hard time picking up the blitz so he brought it all night last night and the Steelers couldn't stop it.

The only reason we couldn't stop it was we never make adjustments. We march ahead with our game plan no matter how ugly it gets.

Mike Tomlin
11-29-2011, 10:27 AM

I personally don't feel stats tell the story of a team. Hell we ranked 1st against the pass and we all know that wasn't the case so miss me with stats. I know good football when I see it look at what they did to the patriots early in that game. The only difference is the Patriots kept stopping their O and they killed the D's will. Our O had the same oppurtunity and we kept dropping the ball.

SteelDad
11-29-2011, 11:15 AM
I don't expect to see blowout wins every week, but I do expect to see the team play with more urgency and better execution than they showed. This is the stretch run. We have the 2nd best record in the League after Thanksgiving since 2001. Now is the time to step forward, not back.

K Train
11-29-2011, 11:45 AM

soooooooooooooooooo misleading.

they have been a bad team overall this year but doresy, gregg, tyson, bailey are a good roation of 34 lineman and Tamba Hali is a beast pass rusher, justin houston had a good game as a rookie, brandon flowers is a stud, and kendrick lewis is really stepping up in place of berry....and Derrick Johsnon is a top 3 MLB

Stairwayto7
11-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I just hate the BA sent Brown on the end around to the short side of the field

jpele
11-29-2011, 02:19 PM
soooooooooooooooooo misleading.

they have been a bad team overall this year but doresy, gregg, tyson, bailey are a good roation of 34 lineman and Tamba Hali is a beast pass rusher, justin houston had a good game as a rookie, brandon flowers is a stud, and kendrick lewis is really stepping up in place of berry....and Derrick Johsnon is a top 3 MLB

Not really misleading, they suck as a defense team, had we not dropped passes all night and Ben doesn't deliver a pass directly to them , the score would have reflected that fact.

With the exception of St Louis 14 points one more than us, every team that beat them did so to the tune of between 20 to 48 points .

K Train
11-29-2011, 03:37 PM
they are so young on defense though, maybe not looking at the big picture if stats this year in which they are on the field all the time due to a very poor offense but this was a good defense last year and a playoff team, maybe JUST MAYBE theyt really stepped their **** up against the steelers.

sure on paper the steelers should have or could have pummelled them but its not an on paper kind of thing, their top 5 corner was a stud, their top 5 OLB was a stud, their top 5 MLB was a stud and rookies like houston and bailey were effective players.

thats without their top 5 FS. they have players in place, its just not their year

Goodfrom55
11-29-2011, 05:14 PM
The only reason we couldn't stop it was we never make adjustments. We march ahead with our game plan no matter how ugly it gets.

Sad but true my brother.

I said to my wife as we were watshing the game that I wouldn't care of the Steelers won 13-12, but never envisioned them playing so poorly. But at least it was a win. Championship teams find ways to win games like these.

Mean Linebacker
11-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Time Management: F!!! Coach Tomlin, Arians, and Ben drive me bonkers in the 2nd half with those wasted time outs.

Gameplan on offense: D - mainly because Ben insisted on going down field way too often last night and totally throwing out of sync any continuity that was built up before launching it a mile away. Where is the short passing game that worked so well vs Belicheat?