PDA

View Full Version : Steelers continue to keep pace with the Ravens...

Troyisabeast_43
11-28-2011, 09:03 AM
The win last night in Kansas City was very very ugly but at the end of the day it's still a win and it improves the Steelers record to 8-3 overall and 6-3 overall within the AFC and tied with the Ravens for 1st place in the division going into December and the final 5 games of the season. I seriously believe that a win over the Bengals this week will pretty much make the Steelers a lock to at the very least get in the playoffs as a wildcard team. I say this because a win will put the Steelers at 9-3 and 7-3 in the AFC overall, and it will drop the Bengals who are currently the 6 seed in the AFC to 7-5 and essentially 3 games behind the Steelers in the standings with the head to head tiebraker in hand. The other teams right now in wildcard contention are the Jets,Titans,and Broncos all of them are 6-5 and the Steelers own the head to head tiebraker over the Titans, and the Jets currently have 5 AFC losses and can finish no better then a 7-5 record within the AFC. So that is why it's so so very important to win that game Sunday against the Bengals here because it will pretty much put those other teams chances of catching the Steelers completely out of reach because they will have no tiebrakers at all working for them when it comes to overtaking the Steelers.

The division title however and either the number 1 or 2 seed is still well well within reach of the Steelers. I still feel the Steelers will need to win out in order for them to have a chance to do that because I just dont think you can count on the Ravens losing 2 of their last 5 games. Maybe 1 of them but not 2. The Ravens have a tough game this week at Cleveland at 4:00 against a Browns team that always plays the Ravens tough and damn near beat the Bengals yesterday in Cincinnati. That game will not be a pushover for the Ravens in my opinion. They have lost to teams such as the Jags and Seahawks this season and they are definitely capable of losing to the Browns on the road.

As for the other teams in the AFC as I have said before as long as the Steelers win out and finish 13-3 it wont matter what the Pats do because even if they do win out and finish 13-3 the Steelers own the head to head tiebraker over them and they would finish with the higher seed if they should still win the AFC North. As for the Texans the Steelers only need them to lose 1 more game the rest of the way to finish ahead of them and seeing that they just lost both Schaub and Leinart for the rest of the season and TJ Yates is going to be their QB for now their chances of winning out are slim and none.

Overall, this should be a great weekend coming up in the AFC North with the Steelers playing the Bengals early followed by the Browns hosting the Ravens at 4. A lot on the line once again this week and a win over the Bengals as I mentioned before barring a complete and total collapse the final 4 games of the season which include 2 with the Browns,the Rams at home and at San Fran will pretty much guarantee the Steelers at the very least a wildcard playoff spot...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2011, 10:35 AM
It's interesting to think that the Steelers could finish 13-3 or 12-4 and still be a wildcard.

Winning that game in KC last night was so paramount since the Ravens and Bengals both won, as did the Patriots yesterday. I feel as well the STeelers are going to have to win out to have any chance for a division title. Losing just 1 game and they are looking at being probably the 5th seed and going on the road for the playoffs.

It's fortunate that they played a team with a QB like Palko because the offense was just completely out of sync all night long.

JensK
11-28-2011, 10:37 AM
There is really only two games left which Ravens could loose in, being the Chargers game and the second Bengals game. I doubt the Chargers will do anything though, as they have been abysmal the last couple of games. The Bengals could potentially do something but I have to said I doubt it. Then there is the Colts (yeah...), and Browns x 2. Sure, Browns could surprise here, but we have them twice as well and they could just as well win one against us. And Steelers still have Niners in SF. Surely, with a win against Bengals we are pretty much secured into the POs, however Ravens are currently 6-0 when playing in Baltimore so I would really like to avoid having to go there come play-offs, especially seeing how they have played us this season.

Stairwayto7
11-28-2011, 10:41 AM
When we play like we did last night Im not so sure. We were just one tip pass, bad call, whatever from dropping a game to a terrible team!

JensK
11-28-2011, 10:43 AM
When we play like we did last night Im not so sure. We were just one tip pass, bad call, whatever from dropping a game to a terrible team!

On the loop-side, we were also just a couple of dropped passes away from potentially beating the living **** out of them :grin1:

Stairwayto7
11-28-2011, 10:45 AM
On the loop-side, we were also just a couple of dropped passes away from potentially beating the living **** out of them :grin1:

Agreed! But they to had some drops, and Palko hand delivered the INTs. Also we dodged a bullet on Bens almost fumble

Ravens1
11-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Steelers looked terrible against KC. My money says you lose to Cincy and SF and that is that for your season. If you happen to get a wild card, you will be embarassed in the playoffs. Not your year. Out with the old, in with the new.

Troyisabeast_43
11-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Steelers looked terrible against KC. My money says you lose to Cincy and SF and that is that for your season. If you happen to get a wild card, you will be embarassed in the playoffs. Not your year. Out with the old, in with the new.

At least when the Steelers have looked bad against the inferior teams this season such as the Colts and Chiefs they have overcome the bad play in both games and found a way to win each of them, when the Ravens play bad like they did against the Jags and Seahawks and even the Titans who arent very good they lose. The Ravens havent won anything yet and until they make a consistent run in the playoffs and get to the Super Bowl they wont have proven ****...

LatrobePA
11-28-2011, 02:15 PM

I don't normally comment on stupid posts but I will in this case:

Seahawks, Jagoffs beat your all mighty team there fella.

We did pull out an ugly win but it was a W and will keep pace with the #1 seed.

Cinci will play us tough, but the niners aren't a great team as your defense proved..

Ravens1
11-28-2011, 02:22 PM
I agree. I'd rather have your offensive consistency/confidence rather than our hit and miss glory/lay an egg offense. My heart is in my throat not just game to game, but within the same game! I don't feel that way about our defense and I'm actually glad the defense had the opportunity to play without Ray Lewis and prove that they have what it takes. His days are numbered (just like Ward's and Polo's) so the shift has to occur. Playing down to a team happens, but it happens. Also, the 4-3 defense seems to perplex us. In any event, it's just a gut feeling. I wouldn't have said it last year because we were even more incosistent IMHO. I actually look forward to hosting the Steelers in
Baltimore this year if it comes to pass. I have front row seats. :clap:

Ibleedblk&gld
11-28-2011, 02:23 PM
I'll be at the game Sunday :)

Pics to come next week

CowherPower
11-28-2011, 11:01 PM
I agree with you all that the Steelers really cannot afford to lose anymore games, or count on the Ravens to lose more than 1 game here in the last remaining weeks of the season. If you are going to be a legit playoff team, not just a 1 and done pretender you have to get on a roll now, get hot, and stay hot.

I believe this team can do it but the players need to get healthy; guys like Troy, Lamarr, Maurkice, especially have got to get on the field all in the same game.

Ultrameyda
11-30-2011, 05:51 PM

T-Sizzle, is that you?

Ravens1
12-01-2011, 12:12 AM
No, not T Sizzle, just a Baltimore (Ravens) fan.

BTW. For those of you touting 6 superbowls. Parse it anyway you want to, but here is how I see it. 4 of your superbowls were 1980 and earlier. Since the 21st Century you have 2 (2006 and 2009) and Baltimore has 1 (2000). If you go back to the 20th Century, you have 4 (1975, 1976, 1979, 1980) and Baltimore has 1 official superbowl (1970) and 2pre Superbowl NFL National Championships 1958 and 1959. So I call :willybs: and say 4-6 Baltimore-Pittsburgh.

StillinBaltimore
12-01-2011, 07:55 AM

The bad new for you is that you're still the Ravens. And O yeah... we are still the Steelers. Not your universe. Did you give your boss a Gatorade Shower after a Tuesday of work too?

--- Added 12/1/2011 at 06:55 AM ---

BTW. For those of you touting 6 superbowls. Parse it anyway you want to, but here is how I see it. 4 of your superbowls were 1980 and earlier. Since the 21st Century you have 2 (2006 and 2009) and Baltimore has 1 (2000). If you go back to the 20th Century, you have 4 (1975, 1976, 1979, 1980) and Baltimore has 1 official superbowl (1970) and 2pre Superbowl NFL National Championships 1958 and 1959. So I call :willybs: and say 4-6 Baltimore-Pittsburgh.

Hey Teeth Sizzle, last I checked the Baltimore football team was in the middle of nowhere Indiana and winless. You're cheering for the Cleveland Team! No one told you?

TampaSteelGirl
12-01-2011, 10:20 AM

AND you guys shined against Seahawks didn't ya??? We killed Seattle...any team can have a bad week..this was ours.

Also...we knocked you out of the playoffs 2 yrs in a row....forgot about that LONG ago past.

Ravens1
12-01-2011, 10:39 AM
You're kidding right. You follow the NAME rather than the TEAM representing the CITY?:nono: The Pittsburgh Steelers you so highly tout have neither one player nor one coach actively a part of the team from the 20th Century Pittsburgh Steeler superbowl winners.

And if you want to associate the records with the NAME, you're even further behind.

The fifth-oldest franchise in the NFL, the Steelers were founded as the Pittsburgh Pirates on July 8, 1933. The Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL first took to the field as the Pittsburgh Pirates on September 20, 1933, losing 232 to the New York Giants. Through the 1930s, the Pirates never finished higher than second place in their division, or with a record better than .500 (1936). Prior to the 1940 season, the Pirates renamed themselves the Steelers.

During World War II, the Steelers experienced player shortages. They twice merged with other NFL franchises to field a team. During the 1943 season, they merged with the Philadelphia Eagles forming the "Phil-Pitt Eagles" and were known as the "Steagles". This team went 541. In 1944, they merged with the Chicago Cardinals and were known as Card-Pitt (or, mockingly, as the "Carpets"). This team finished 010, marking the only winless team in franchise history.

The Steelers made the playoffs for the first time in 1947, tying for first place in the division at 84 with the Philadelphia Eagles. This forced a tie-breaking playoff game at Forbes Field, which the Steelers lost 210. That would be Pittsburgh's only playoff game for the next 25 years, though the Steelers did qualify for a "Playoff Bowl" in 1962 as the second-best team in their conference, though not considered an official playoff.

So, lets look at it the way you want to, by following the TEAM. Founded in 1933 and the first National Championship in 1975??? It took you 42 years of existance to win your first Championship!!!

The Baltimore Ravens came into existence in 1995 when Art Modell, then owner of the Cleveland Browns, announced his intention to relocate his team from Cleveland to Baltimore. They won their first Superbowl in 2000, 5 years in. You do the math. I certainly hope a team that has been in existance for 78 years vs 16 years would have more National Championships. Plus as you know, these things come in gluts, as in the combination of players and coaching strings them together(witness Green Bay). And of course, on any given Sunday, otherwise known as, there but for the grace of God go I. So, good luck Steagles.

StillinBaltimore
12-01-2011, 10:48 AM
I have fundamental issue with the title of this thread. lol

LatrobePA
12-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Ravens1, answer this very serious question:

What would you do if Joe Flacco and you were both in the shower together no one else, he asks you to pleasure him, would you??

DIESELMAN
12-01-2011, 11:14 AM
2pre's don't mean ****, parse that any way you want to. Hell, while your at it, you guys have had 3 SB's already this year, considering Harbitch getting doused with Gatorade after a regular season win.....:whatever:

What is all this dribble about going all the way back to the 40's and 50's? The thread is about the Steelers keeping up with the Ravens. Which means, keeping up with them to either win the division or go in as a wildcats. In this league as we all know, yesterday does not matter.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

Speeed
12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
All hail the Ravens! Bow before them! The 8-3 powerhouse! The winner of 1 SB in over 10 years! The world is against them, but they conquer and usurp! Hold on, I feel the earth shaking, it must be the Ravens are getting restless! Run, hide.

Fans like this make us all look stupid. Fact is, we beat you most of the time. You can quote stats, history, etc. all you want, that does not prove anything. The next game is what proves a team. This year, as usual, out teams are evenly matched. You just happened to beat us this year, twice. We play two more times, we could very well beat you twice. To say this is "your year" is ridiculous. For god's sake, if the Seahawks beat a team such as the Ravens, which is a high caliber team, then yes, the Steelers can beat them too. I am not knocking the Ravens, I am just reinforcing the fact any team can beat any team, and that does not make them better overall, just on that given day.

I left a Ravens forum because of delusional fans. There were a few who were grounded in reality, but most were arrogant haters whose every thread devolved into a Pittsburgh/Ben hatefest. Rudeness, name-calling, and outright ignorance drove me away. I am sure there are much better Ravens forums, but that was horrid. And I live just outside of Baltimore, and I can attest to much of this day to day life.

If you stay, please make statements grounded in reality. You seem like a bright fellow, so don't beat your chest over nothing. Remember, the Ravens looked like crap 3 times this year too.

I am sure there are some less than savory Steelers forums too (and some welcoming Ravens forums), but this place is pretty tame. You seem to be on the edge of mixing things up.

Don't tell yourself that collectively any one fanbase is better or more deserving than another. Each has it's own conglomerate of stupid. Just remember that.

Now, I will respond to the nature of this post:

The Ravens beat the Steelers twice this year, and they earned it. Flacco had the drive of his career, he looked spectacular. In my opinion, he does that 1 out of 1000 times. But, as I said, he looked spectacular. The teams are very evenly matched, but I feel the difference is in the QB position. Roethlisberger has that X factor. You never know what ways he will find to win a game.

Looking a ahead, I see the Bengals beating either the Ravens or the Steelers at least once. Or maybe both? Who knows. Talking crap won't change that. Either way, I bet we meet in the playoffs. And overall, I like our record in the playoffs with Ben much more than Joe's.

Ravens1
12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Ravens1, answer this very serious question:

What would you do if Joe Flacco and you were both in the shower together no one else, he asks you to pleasure him, would you??

No I wouldn't. I'd have to suggest he ask some of the wonderful folks in State College Pennsylvania who apparently have interests and talents in this regard.:lol: :hilarious:

StillinBaltimore
12-01-2011, 11:47 AM
You're kidding right. You follow the NAME rather than the TEAM representing the CITY?:nono: The Pittsburgh Steelers you so highly tout have neither one player nor one coach actively a part of the team from the 20th Century Pittsburgh Steeler superbowl winners.

And if you want to associate the records with the NAME, you're even further behind.

The fifth-oldest franchise in the NFL, the Steelers were founded as the Pittsburgh Pirates on July 8, 1933. The Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL first took to the field as the Pittsburgh Pirates on September 20, 1933, losing 232 to the New York Giants. Through the 1930s, the Pirates never finished higher than second place in their division, or with a record better than .500 (1936). Prior to the 1940 season, the Pirates renamed themselves the Steelers.

During World War II, the Steelers experienced player shortages. They twice merged with other NFL franchises to field a team. During the 1943 season, they merged with the Philadelphia Eagles forming the "Phil-Pitt Eagles" and were known as the "Steagles". This team went 541. In 1944, they merged with the Chicago Cardinals and were known as Card-Pitt (or, mockingly, as the "Carpets"). This team finished 010, marking the only winless team in franchise history.

The Steelers made the playoffs for the first time in 1947, tying for first place in the division at 84 with the Philadelphia Eagles. This forced a tie-breaking playoff game at Forbes Field, which the Steelers lost 210. That would be Pittsburgh's only playoff game for the next 25 years, though the Steelers did qualify for a "Playoff Bowl" in 1962 as the second-best team in their conference, though not considered an official playoff.

So, lets look at it the way you want to, by following the TEAM. Founded in 1933 and the first National Championship in 1975??? It took you 42 years of existance to win your first Championship!!!

The Baltimore Ravens came into existence in 1995 when Art Modell, then owner of the Cleveland Browns, announced his intention to relocate his team from Cleveland to Baltimore. They won their first Superbowl in 2000, 5 years in. You do the math. I certainly hope a team that has been in existance for 78 years vs 16 years would have more National Championships. Plus as you know, these things come in gluts, as in the combination of players and coaching strings them together(witness Green Bay). And of course, on any given Sunday, otherwise known as, there but for the grace of God go I. So, good luck Steagles.

LMAO! You broke out the Steegles!? Mission accomplished. Got a long, drawn out, defensive post out of ya with a little jab.

LatrobePA
12-01-2011, 11:49 AM
No I wouldn't. I'd have to suggest he ask some of the wonderful folks in State College Pennsylvania who apparently have interests and talents in this regard.:lol: :hilarious:

LOL, I didn't want to go there...

SteelerJay
12-01-2011, 11:53 AM
It's me SteelerNation, I don't know who of you remember me but I was away for awhile..

As for the steelers keeping pace with the Ravens, I feel it really doesn't matter if they run the table or not, I don't think the ravens will lose any more games then us IMOH though, but the ravens have a very suspect hit and miss offence that could flutter any given sunday and cost them a game against a avg team like it has in the past this year.

But I have hope :crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-01-2011, 11:59 PM
It's me SteelerNation, I don't know who of you remember me but I was away for awhile..

As for the steelers keeping pace with the Ravens, I feel it really doesn't matter if they run the table or not, I don't think the ravens will lose any more games then us IMOH though, but the ravens have a very suspect hit and miss offence that could flutter any given sunday and cost them a game against a avg team like it has in the past this year.

But I have hope :crossfingers:

Welcome back Jay, good to see ya again!

The Ravens have some tough road games coming, and by that just the fact that they don't play well on the road in general. Anything can happen especially if Flacco gets pressure and teams are able to keep Rice in check.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-02-2011, 11:00 AM

National Championships?....When did the NFL become college football?.......Comparing the Ravens after they moved from Cleveland in 1995 to the Steelers in the pre-Super Bowl era is a very bad comparison.......The Ravens were still an established franchise and wasn't like a typical expansion team.....Plus modern NFL expansion teams had it much easier to build a franchise then past expansion teams......No doubt the Steelers were the joke of the NFL in their first 40 years......Bad roster moves and horrible coaching moves were mainly to blame (Steelers did cut Johnny Unitas).....lol So you welcome Baltimore for that gift.......

--- Added 12/2/2011 at 09:54 AM ---

Really you're comparing pre Super Bowl era NFL championships to Super Bowls?.....lol I think that is :willybs:......The whole NFL landscape is different in the modern era and really started in the Super Bowl era after the merger between the AFL/NFL......

Of course those old NFL championships still count but only from 1920-mid 60s......

--- Added 12/2/2011 at 10:00 AM ---

Ravens lost to the Titans, Jags, Seahawks.......The Steelers beat all of those power houses....lol Plus against the Bengals the Ravens got lucky when a TD was taken away from the Bungles......If the Bengals had only needed a field goal instead of TD at the end there then the Bengals could have kicked the field goal to force OT......

The Steelers will beat the Bengals again and will also beat the 49ers.......The 49ers offense is a joke....wait oh how did I forget the 49ers also had a TD taken away from them against the Ravens........:lol: on a very cheap call....lol

Congrats the Ratbirds finally beat the Steelers twice this year......The first game was an *** kicking and I can't defend that in anyway....But the 2nd game was a close game that could have gone either way....I know I like the Steelers chances if our two teams meet a third time this year.......

SteelerJay
12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Falcco has had a decent year but on the road he plays poorly when teams get after him and get to him, thats what i love abot ben he plays better under preasure, but anything can happen

and thanks glad to be back!