PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu leaves the game with apparent concussion.

xBlitzBurghx
11-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Seems like he isn't as much of an impact anymore. Don't even like him anymore.

--- Added 11/27/2011 at 10:54 PM ---

Seems like every time he goes for a tackle there is a bigger chance of him hurting himself than making a play.

SnakeEyes43
11-28-2011, 12:57 AM
I disagree, but to each his own. Troy impacts the D a great deal, in many aspects, but he just isn't getting the INTs that Steeler fans are used to seeing him get every game.

He does need to stop diving at players lower body with his noggin though.

SteelJunkie
11-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Granted he hasn't made many game breaking plays lately, but no matter how you look at it the defense plays more confident with him in there.

floodcitygirl
11-28-2011, 01:01 AM

Seems like every time he goes for a tackle there is a bigger chance of him hurting himself than making a play.I love Troy.....even older. If he was able to play his usual position on the team, we'd see a difference.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2011, 01:14 AM
Troy still makes an impact, but it's hard to do so when you're on the sidelines with an injury. He was having a good game before he left in the first quarter; having registered 2 tackles and blowing up a running play by guessing the snap count early on.

The Steelers never fully acknowledged that it was a concussion but you know full well it had to be. His head/neck hit right on the thigh of the receiver on that great open field tackle. If you notice too when he made that hit he just went to the ground, barely able to brace himself. The trainers were out immediately and spent the rest of the quarter talking to him, asking him how he was.

He put his helmet back on and lobbied to get back in with Tomlin but the coaches were having none of it. We can only hope he's ready for next week at this point.

From the PG on Troy:

Troy Polamalu, the NFL's defensive player of the year in 2010, was injured on the first drive of the night and appeared to be done for the game with a possible concussion.

The Steelers officially announced that he took a blow to the head and would continue to be evaluated. However, Polamalu was sitting on the bench without his helmet, which was being held by inactive nose tackle Chris Hoke.

Polamalu was injured when he tackled big tackle Steve Maneri, who was eligible and caught a short pass on the play. Maneri is listed as weighing 290 pounds. Polamalu went down on the play, wobbled off the field and sat on the bench under a coat.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201111/pd03steelers112711_330.jpg

Iron Paul
11-28-2011, 01:15 AM
:imho:Troy is great but too injury prone. We need him every game and for all four quarters.

SnakeEyes43
11-28-2011, 01:16 AM
If you notice too when he made that hit he just went to the ground, barely able to brace himself.

A split second after the hit, as he was hitting the ground, his arms went limp. He was out for sure and had no business coming back in.

igor0190
11-28-2011, 01:52 AM
He needs to adjust his torpedo tackling style or these concussions are gonna continue to keep him on the sidelines a lot

Black@Gold Forever32
11-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Problem is he can be a liability at times in coverage.......So he has to play close to the line and fly around like an idiot which he subjects himself to injury with his reckless play......To me Troy is having a really average season......I want to see INT's and caused fumble not him flying around hurting himself....lol which at times he blows tackles to......

Katmandu
11-28-2011, 02:38 AM
He needs to adjust his torpedo tackling style or these concussions are gonna continue to keep him on the sidelines a lotOn the Sidelines nothing!

It's going to end his career much sooner than later !!!

Nolrog
11-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Seems like he isn't as much of an impact anymore.

I don't think that's fair. He's consisently been around the play this year. Just off by like half a heartbeat. He's been in the backfield, disrupting the play, timing the snap count perfectly, back in coverage making the play getting his hands on the ball. The only thing he's not doing is making the INT when the ball hits him in the hands (he's dropped 4 maybe 5 so far.)

I do agree with the injury concerns. He misses several games a year due to injury. I think he needs to dial it down a little bit, and maybe play at 90-95% and be out there all the time than play at 110% and get injured.

Stairwayto7
11-28-2011, 08:12 AM
I don't think that's fair. He's consisently been around the play this year. Just off by like half a heartbeat. He's been in the backfield, disrupting the play, timing the snap count perfectly, back in coverage making the play getting his hands on the ball. The only thing he's not doing is making the INT when the ball hits him in the hands (he's dropped 4 maybe 5 so far.)

I do agree with the injury concerns. He misses several games a year due to injury. I think he needs to dial it down a little bit, and maybe play at 90-95% and be out there all the time than play at 110% and get injured.

If you only play at 90% you will get hurt! How about a text book wrap your arms tackle once in a while? What happened to those? Troy caused his own injuries, at least the last two concussions by throwing his HEad and Shoulders, no pun intended, in there and not wrppping up

Troyisabeast_43
11-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Was their any further update on Troy after the game and if his concussion was serious and whether it could potentially keep him out for the game Sunday at home with the Bengals?? If the Steelers are missing both Troy and Woodley for this game against the Bengals on Sunday that is a big big cause for concern because Dalton and that Bengals offense has some weapons that can hurt you...

LatrobePA
11-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Put a fork in him!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Was their any further update on Troy after the game and if his concussion was serious and whether it could potentially keep him out for the game Sunday at home with the Bengals?? If the Steelers are missing both Troy and Woodley for this game against the Bengals on Sunday that is a big big cause for concern because Dalton and that Bengals offense has some weapons that can hurt you...

No updates on Troy after the game other than what Tomlin said that Troy took a blow to the head and they weren't taking any chances by letting him back in the game. He mentioned there were concussion like symptoms but never fully confirmed it to be one.

I'm sure we'll get a better update at his weekly presser tomorrow.

Stairwayto7
11-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Got a feeling they will sit him for a week or so!

Nolrog
11-28-2011, 12:34 PM
at least the last two concussions by throwing his HEad and Shoulders, no pun intended, in there and not wrppping up

Ha ha ha. Good one. You should have said it was intentional. And I agree with the point.

--- Added 11/28/2011 at 10:33 AM ---

He mentioned there were concussion like symptoms but never fully confirmed it to be one.

They never claim it to be a concussion. Becuase that triggers a specific protocol, including leaving the game and missing next weeks game as a precaution.

--- Added 11/28/2011 at 10:34 AM ---

If you only play at 90% you will get hurt!

Perhaps. However, what he's doing now, he is getting hurt and missing games every year so that's not working. He has to do something different to make sure he stays on the field.

K Train
11-28-2011, 02:28 PM
He needs to adjust his torpedo tackling style or these concussions are gonna continue to keep him on the sidelines a lot

easy to say but hes so small, he HAS to launch himself like that

xBlitzBurghx
11-28-2011, 03:17 PM
He needs to stop doing stupid commercials and start working out more lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

LatrobePA
11-28-2011, 03:19 PM
He needs to stop doing stupid commercials and start working out more lol

He needs something to fall back on next year! Yea next year, he's not going to last at this rate!

Rampage
11-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Always scares me when he makes those hits. I know he switched to a newer helmet and mouth guard to help prevent concussions, but they are still a major concern for him. I really would not be surprised to see him sit out next week at this point.

pimplydan
11-28-2011, 05:12 PM

Seems like every time he goes for a tackle there is a bigger chance of him hurting himself than making a play.

What wrong with u , Polamalu was on fire yesterday , the guy he hit was like 6 foot 7 inchs tall and weighted something like 270 lbs . that's a mac truck , not too many guys would come hitting him head first at full speed like Troy did.

Polamalu is awesome but he comes flying into player head first all the time .He just doesn't know how to play the game any other way than full speed ahead like a missile.

xBlitzBurghx
11-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Pretty sure anyone that has ever played football was taught to not tackle head first?

KSSteelerfan
11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I love Troy.....even older. If he was able to play his usual position on the team, we'd see a difference.

You have a very valid point. I believe they mentioned on the broadcast last night that with injuries to players like Harrison,Woodley and such that Troy has had to basically cover those areas that Harrison or Woodley would have covered thereby diminishing his ability to create turnovers and cutting down on his number of chances to create turnovers or interceptions.

LevonKirkland99
11-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Troy is playing hard, but why does he tackle with his head? I was praying last night that he doesn't get hurt on that tackle, or should I sa head tackle.

Where in the HELL are they going to put big FAT Woodley back so Troy doesn't have to cover too much ground for them... That pathetic defense is nothing without #43!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Ed Bouchette tweeted tonight that Troy is fine and should be ready to go for next weeks game. The word is that, according to Tomlin, he could have come in for the 2nd half but they weren't taking any chances and league rules are strict about head injuries so they just held him out.

floodcitygirl
11-28-2011, 11:53 PM
You have a very valid point. I believe they mentioned on the broadcast last night that with injuries to players like Harrison,Woodley and such that Troy has had to basically cover those areas that Harrison or Woodley would have covered thereby diminishing his ability to create turnovers and cutting down on his number of chances to create turnovers or interceptions.Thank you. I know that he is on defense and you have to go where needed but he has built his career and reputation on being able to play a very different role than most. When he is able to do that, he can excel and be a total game changer. Be well Troy. This team needs you.

CowherPower
11-28-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm so glad to hear Troy is going to be ok and hopefully play this coming Sunday against Cincy. I know Mundy played a great game last night, the best game of his career to date, but it's a different defense out there when Troy is in the game. With Woodley out you can't afford to lose such a top player like Troy.

connecticutsteel
11-29-2011, 03:50 AM
I say let them play like the old days they/we know what we sighned up for and it's not dancing with the stars

Mean Linebacker
11-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Outstanding that Troy is going to be back this Sunday; now if we can just keep him healthy the rest of the way out instead of last year where he missed a lot of the last part of the season and never was really himself all the way through the playoffs.

Clevelandsux
11-29-2011, 07:25 PM
You don't lead with yourhead when trying to tackle an offensive lineman. I love Troy, but he overpursues way too much. The game vs the Bengals on the td by A.J Green, Troy didn't even jump or make an effort to knock the ball down.He also tries to lead with his shoulder, instead of wrapping a guy up.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2011, 01:08 AM
It doesn't look like Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu will have to settle for the role of reluctant spectator Sunday.

Polamalu is on track to play against Cincinnati after concussion-like symptoms knocked him out of the Steelers' 13-9 win at Kansas City this past Sunday night.
"Troy Polamalu hasn't had any concussion symptoms since we got back here," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. "He will have to pass a battery of tests in order to participate (Sunday). We are comfortable at this juncture that it will happen."

There is always a caveat when it comes to concussions, and that is particularly true for Polamalu, who has experienced concussion-like symptoms twice this season.
The six-time Pro Bowler has a history with brain trauma, dating to high school.
Before this season, Polamalu had suffered at least seven diagnosed concussions while playing football, including two with the Steelers (2006 and '08). He had three in college at USC and two in high school.

The Steelers had Polamalu undergo a neurological exam at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center before taking the Southern Cal product in the first round of the 2003 draft.

"Obviously, we are sensitive to his concussion history," Tomlin said, "and we are always going to exercise the necessary precaution when dealing with it. Troy has been good. We anticipate it being a non-issue moving forward this week."

Polamalu left the Steelers' 17-13 win over Jacksonville on Oct. 16 after tackling Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew. He returned the following week. Polamalu took another blow to the head Sunday, when he took out the legs of Steve Maneri after the Chiefs offensive tackle made a reception.

Polamalu tried to lobby his way back into the game, and when the defense was on the field, he stood on the sidelines wearing his helmet.

"He always does (that), not only him but many others," Tomlin said. "Oftentimes that is the case. That's why we have medical experts there to assist us in terms of decision making. We will always lean on their expertise."
Ryan Mundy played in place of Polamalu, and the Woodland Hills graduate had a game-high 10 tackles as well as an interception that set up the game's only touchdown.

Barring setbacks, the Steelers could be as healthy on defense as they've been since the beginning of the season.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20safety%20Polamalu%20knows%20concussions %20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_769646.html#ixzz1fA7QQoLu)