PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Steelers running back since the 70's.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2011, 10:12 AM
My Steelers mind never stops so I think about things like this when I'm out and about or just laying around snoozing at home..LOL.

There's a pretty impressive list of running backs that have carried the ball successfully for the Steelers through the decades, that I've often wondered if I could have anyone of them in their prime right now, who would it be? Arguably it's a bit hard difficult to judge the current players on the roster since they haven't been in the NFL that long but we have an idea of what they are capable of based on what we've seen.

Now obviously many of these guys played in the era following when they joined the team but I've noted them from when they came to the Steelers. This certainly isn't a full list but it's the highlights of the bigger names that have played in Pittsburgh.

1970's:
Franco Harris
Rocky Blier
John Fuqua

1980's:
Frank Pollard
Walter Abercrombie
Earnest Jackson
Merril Hoge
Warren Williams
Tim Worley

1990's:
Barry Foster
Leroy Thompson
Warren Williams
Fred McAfee
Bam Morries
John L. Williams
Erric Peagram
Jerome Bettis
Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
Amos Zereoue

2000's:
Verron Haynes
Willie Parker
Duce Staley
Najeh Davenport
Gary Russel
Rashard Mendenhall
Mewelde Moore
Issac Redman
Jonathan Dwyer

Lunchbucket
11-26-2011, 11:36 AM
To pick one in the prime, simply ,........THE BUS.

pimplydan
11-26-2011, 11:53 AM
It's between Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis

I chose the Bus , not because I think he was better , but because I simply love the way he could run over and threw defenders , lol .

He made me jump off my couch so many times .

One of the most memorial hits he made was when he snow plowed over Brian Urlachler in the 4th quarter in snowy soldier Field . But there were so many other times as well , especially against the Browns and the Bengals . He made the color brown look like mud as his bus just rode over . Their were times when he seemed to roll over the whole team it was amazing and enjoyable.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Franco 1A Bettis 1B

Raleigh Steel
11-26-2011, 12:46 PM
franco...best
bettis...favorite
franco over bettis...by the slightest of margins.

Stairwayto7
11-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Franco overall no.1

Just a few years in their prime? Barry Foster!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2011, 02:21 PM
It's such a shame to watch Bam Morris throw away his career. He could have been the next great bulldozing back for the Steelers. He was a factor in Super Bowl XXX, especially in the 2nd half.

Stairwayto7
11-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Earnest Jackson LOL! The only player in NFL history I think with 3 straight 1000 yard season all for three different teams. Buddy ryan said trade him, hell trade him for a six pack, hell it doesnt even have to be cold. And we got him!

Deviouz1
11-26-2011, 05:00 PM
the bus.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2d8nv2g.gif

and my personal favorite thank you jpele

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/jvpele/BettisVsRay-Ray.gif

Clevelandsux
11-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Franco hands down. He was money in big games.

Zachintosh66
11-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Franco 1A Bettis 1B

This... no one else even close in their top 5

it doesnt matter

LevonKirkland99
11-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I watched Bettis growing up, so #36. 2nd best for me is #39 aka fast Willie Parker.

connecticutsteel
11-26-2011, 09:51 PM
The thread says since the 70's so franco is out cause he is the seventies the next greatest by a mile is the bus

SteelDad
11-26-2011, 10:41 PM
I always liked B Foster. Was he as good as the Bus? No but he was pretty impressive there for a few seasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

LarryNJ
11-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Franco & Bus were close but I give it to Franco. The Bus ran more people over but Franco was a better all around back and was much better receiver. In 3rd I'd put Frank Pollard.

pimplydan
11-27-2011, 02:46 AM
the bus.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2d8nv2g.gif

and my personal favorite thank you jpele

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/jvpele/BettisVsRay-Ray.gif

that's my favourite right there right threw Urlacher,

Stairwayto7
11-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Barry Foster retired to young or he would have been in the Top 10 all time rushers IMO

airbrake 1
11-27-2011, 09:54 AM
franco is tops ...followed by bettis...although he was never able to duplicate his one great season barry foster was a freaking beast the year he ran for 1690....i am really suprised that most people are voting for harris, i thought his backing of paterno was grounds for history erasure in most peoples eyes...at least one man has some f-ing backbone...YOU'RE THE MAN FRANCO SCREW ALL THE LILLY LIVERED THAT TURNED THEIR BACK ON YOU, THEY HAVE THE SPINES OF JELLYFISH

Black@Gold Forever32
11-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Barry Foster retired to young or he would have been in the Top 10 all time rushers IMO

Barry let his ego get to big after his team record 92 season and that is why his career went down the Johnny Flusher......Its a shame really......

coldrolled
11-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Mendenhall if he had support from the offensive scheme and an OL that could block for him or actually an OL that was designed to block for him.

Smart, Fast, Strong and catches nice. Get him in the flat with a few more passes each game and we would be unbeatable.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-27-2011, 10:36 AM
franco is tops ...followed by bettis...although he was never able to duplicate his one great season barry foster was a freaking beast the year he ran for 1690....i am really suprised that most people are voting for harris, i thought his backing of paterno was grounds for history erasure in most peoples eyes...at least one man has some f-ing backbone...YOU'RE THE MAN FRANCO SCREW ALL THE LILLY LIVERED THAT TURNED THEIR BACK ON YOU, THEY HAVE THE SPINES OF JELLYFISH

Typical airbrake always trying to start something.......:yesnod: Peoples opinions on what happened at Penn State doesn't change what Franco did on the football field....Personally I have no problem with Franco sticking up for his former coach....Really didn't expect anything different from him and he is entitled to his opinion.....I still respect Franco as a person and as a player even though I think Joe PA and the rest of the Penn State brass should have down more when the allegations first came to light.....