PDA

View Full Version : Will Hines reach 1000 receptions in a Steelers uniform

connecticutsteel
11-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Hines needs 19 more to be the fifth player in NFL history to reach that milestone. Some reports say he won't get the chance now with his reduced role:thinking:

LevonKirkland99
11-24-2011, 09:02 AM
I honestly don't think he will because of the other *new stars* on the receiving core...I guess after 14 years of service, its business as usual with the Stillers.

Stairwayto7
11-24-2011, 09:31 AM
I think we a descent lead we should give him a chance but 3 cathes a game may be a bit much to ask. would love to see Hines as our WR coach next season

BlitzburghRockCity
11-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Nineteen catches over the next 6 regular season games is about 3 catches per game so in theory it's definitely possible. If you figure in the Steelers chances to make the post season then it becomes more of a possibility.

I would certainly like to think he's going to get it while he's still a Steeler, it would be a travesty if he didn't. You don't want to force receptions at the expense of winning a game and Tomlin certainly wouldn't do that but I would imagine he'll get playing time the rest of the way out and we can just hope he makes it.

Lunchbucket
11-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Not ruling him out,football has become a game of who is the healthiest.It's a good chance someone on the reciever corps will miss some time (exspecially in the playoffs) due to injury.. so even in a diminished role,he may still have a chance.

Nolrog
11-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I say he gets it. Even with his diminished role, the Steelers know he's so close so they'll make sure he gets enough catches . . . . assuming he's healthy.

Hines is still a good 3rd down receiver, so getting him some time shouldn't be a problem.

Thisoneguy555
11-25-2011, 04:03 AM
I think he'll get to 1000... 3 catches a game, he might have games with 1 catch, but some games he comes out of no where with 6 catches.

Stairwayto7
11-25-2011, 10:37 AM
I think he'll get to 1000... 3 catches a game, he might have games with 1 catch, but some games he comes out of no where with 6 catches.

Been awhile since he had 6 catches

Nolrog
11-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Been awhile since he had 6 catches

He had 7 catches against the Titans this year. Only game with 6 or more this year though.

Stairwayto7
11-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Before Sanders and Cotchery were both 100%. Hines can still get some catches but doesnt get seperation.

To his advantage, the young guys are really starting to take notice of the other teams, so Hines may be able to get some one on ones with LBs.

To his disadvantage, we cant afford another loss at this point, so his 1000 catches are not high on the priority list.

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Not at the risk of losing to a lesser opponent.

BR7
11-25-2011, 06:45 PM
BA will call 19 WR screens so Hines can get his 1000. Quite possibly all in succession... lol

Stairwayto7
11-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Hopefully we get a descent lead aginst cheifs and he can get his 19 wr screens

LevonKirkland99
11-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Hines may not even play the rest of the season... According to the Post-Gazette, his status in unchanged!!!:clap::willybs:

Callax
11-26-2011, 03:12 AM

I will even call it that 2 catches will be TD's
he gets 19 this year
if Pitt is locked in as the #2 seed or division champ going into last game, they will throw to him every other play to get him 19 for this year and 1000 for career

connecticutsteel
11-26-2011, 03:32 AM
I will even call it that 2 catches will be TD's
he gets 19 this year
if Pitt is locked in as the #2 seed or division champ going into last game, they will throw to him every other play to get him 19 for this year and 1000 for career

I don't know about this he is currently the 7th WR

Steel Trap86
11-26-2011, 03:49 AM
I really REALLY hope Hines reaches 1,000 and Lesean McCoy gets his money.

They both deserve it.

Stairwayto7
11-26-2011, 08:02 AM
He does deserve it I garee with that

StillinBaltimore
11-26-2011, 05:02 PM
I agree with lunchbucket. I think it will take injuries to get him on the field enough to reach it. Unless he gets 19 redzone touchdowns and/or third down conversions this year.

LevonKirkland99
11-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I don't know about this he is currently the 7th WR

7th WR? who else besides Brown, Sanders, Wallace, and Cotchery? just curious....

I don't think he'll get it, the coaching staff have moved on without him at this point.

steelchamp204
11-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Ward bubble screens 3 times a game. Yea I can see it now :)

Dobre Shunka
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
He absolutely will.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-27-2011, 11:34 PM
I love Hines for everything he has given us over the years. I hope he gets 1000 and goes out on a high note instead of hanging around until they cut him

Dee Mca
11-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Hines watch 4 catches tonight down to 15 for the 1000 mark.

SteelJunkie
11-27-2011, 11:46 PM
3 of those were designed to just give him the catches and not a lot of yards. Guess they do care about his stats and not just wins after all.

Stairwayto7
11-28-2011, 12:02 AM
3 of those were designed to just give him the catches and not a lot of yards. Guess they do care about his stats and not just wins after all.

They should have taken the game lightly early on for Hines:imho:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Ward should never see the field unless injury happens to the other WR's......If the last game of the season is meaningless in Cleveland then force feed the ball all game to get Ward his 1,000 catches......

Stairwayto7
11-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Ward should never see the field unless injury happens to the other WR's......If the last game of the season is meaningless in Cleveland then force feed the ball all game to get Ward his 1,000 catches......

True, or a few a game when the game is in hand. No kidding last night when they opened up with the short passes to him I knew we were taking the chefs lightly. Priority No. 1 win the game

cmerrifield
11-28-2011, 02:56 PM
In the back of everyone's mind, we all thought this game would be easy, so why not help Hines get a few catches. The reality is he probably wants to retire if he cannot start, our salary cap needs him to retire and he wont do it without 1000 receptions.

LatrobePA
11-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm sure this will upset some people out here but for me I could care a less if he does, the truth is our offense is slow with him in there..

K Train
11-28-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm sure this will upset some people out here but for me I could care a less if he does, the truth is our offense is slow with him in there..

<3<3<3<3<3<3

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Was I the only one that thought Arians was trying to force feed Hines the ball early to get him some catches, only to see him disappear from the game the rest of the night?

I'm all for Hines getting his 1000 career receptions but man not at the expense of moving the ball effectively in these must win games.

86WARD
11-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Was I the only one that thought Arians was trying to force feed Hines the ball early to get him some catches, only to see him disappear from the game the rest of the night?

I'm all for Hines getting his 1000 career receptions but man not at the expense of moving the ball effectively in these must win games.

Was my thought initially as well. At least throw him the ball downfield. It's a wasted play to throw him a bubble screen. It's almost a waste to throw it to Wallace as well...almost...

Goodfrom55
11-28-2011, 05:56 PM
What's the difference between a 4 yard pass to Hines and a 4 yard run by Mendy? NOTHING. Not at the expense of winning, but I hope they do throw to him 4-6 times a game. If he is open, then why not? He had a huge 3rd down reception last night for a 1st down, right smack dab in the middle of the field. I said it once and I will say it again, there is no one on the Steelers and perhaps the NFL who reads defenses better then Hines, especially zone defenses. He always finds the open area of the soft spot in the zone. I know the offense seems slow when he is out there and I am not lobbying for him to be the #2 guy, but as much as AB is developing, Hines is still Ben's security blanket. And when he wasn't out there last night, Ben statred forcing balls into coverage.

Yes, I believe Hines will get his 1000 catches in a Steelers uniform this year.

harpo
11-29-2011, 07:30 AM
What's the difference between a 4 yard pass to Hines and a 4 yard run by Mendy? NOTHING. Not at the expense of winning, but I hope they do throw to him 4-6 times a game. If he is open, then why not? He had a huge 3rd down reception last night for a 1st down, right smack dab in the middle of the field. I said it once and I will say it again, there is no one on the Steelers and perhaps the NFL who reads defenses better then Hines, especially zone defenses. He always finds the open area of the soft spot in the zone. I know the offense seems slow when he is out there and I am not lobbying for him to be the #2 guy, but as much as AB is developing, Hines is still Ben's security blanket. And when he wasn't out there last night, Ben statred forcing balls into coverage.

Yes, I believe Hines will get his 1000 catches in a Steelers uniform this year.

This :plus1::yellowthumb:

Callax
11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Hines got 4 catches against KC, 4 down and 15 more to go....
now Hines is down to 3 catches a game on the dot!!!
15 catches and 5 games... they keep throwing WR screens and flat passes to force feed him his catches. He'll get 1000

K Train
11-30-2011, 03:06 PM
15 catches and 5 games... they keep throwing WR screens and flat passes to force feed him his catches. He'll get 1000

no, please dont. it would be nice but you cant just force him the ball 3 times a game so he can reach a milestone no one really actually cares about. its not like hes gonna be the first

SnakeEyes43
11-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Hines is still Ben's security blanket.

This was true a few years ago...not anymore.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-30-2011, 10:58 PM

Hines was never a speed receiver so I don't get everyone saying he lost a step ...he has always been the go to guy that will make the catch,which cannot always be said about the "young guns".

As for them throwing him those screens it not that big of deal because BA is goingto call them anyhow ,so why not throw them to him?? Let him get his 1,000 and go off into the sunset ...

K Train
12-01-2011, 01:18 AM
when you lose a step when your not a speed guy to begin with you fall to 5th on the depth chart

hes never scared teams with his speed, but he has scared them with 3rd down conversions and finding the back of the endzone consistently....and thats pretty much defined his whole career, hes just not getting that done anymore or even if he is the young guys are the better guys to have on the field cause they are simply doing it better

and i mean i know its only 15 catches but still, screw the worthless milestone. its not like hes about to break some record of the formerly unachievable (hell even the titans lost games just to get chris johnson the 2000 yards in a season)

BlitzburghRockCity
12-01-2011, 02:08 PM

I'm still one that wants to see Hines hit those records but not at the expense of stalling drives or missing out on Touchdowns. If the Steelers had a sustantial lead in the division and/or the conference then maybe.

I'm not opposed to getting him the ball early and still using him on some 3rd down situations where he can be effective. It's a fine line when you're talking about winning now and trying to take care of a vet that's done so much for you over the years.

Stairwayto7
12-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I hope he does to bat at what expense? If Wallace would have gotten the wr screens maybe the corners wouldnt have played 25 yards off of him