PDA

View Full Version : I present the Steelers new Starting LG...

Big T
11-23-2011, 04:45 PM
http://www.advocare.com/endorsers/images/large/doug_legursky.jpg

@EdBouchette: #steelers have new starting left guard. Legursky replaces 4-year starter Kemoeatu, who says he was demoted
Chris Kemoeatu, the Steelers' highest paid offensive lineman in his fourth year starting at left guard, has been demoted.

Doug Legursky will replace Kemoeatu in the starting lineup Sunday night in Kansas City. Kemoeatu said his coaches told him the demotion came because of poor performance recently.

Legursky started the first three games at right guard but missed the foruth game with a shoulder injury. He started the next two games at left guard because Kemoeatu had a knee injury. A dislocated toe knocked Legursky out of action for three games and Kemoeatu returned to health and his starting job.

This time, no injuries are involved. Ramon Foster has since nailed down the starting right guard spot he held all of last season.

It's the third notable demotion coach Mike Tomlin has made in the past few weeks. Hines Ward lost the starting job at wide receiver he's held since 1999 and Chris Hoke lost his long-held job as the top backup to nose tackle Casey Hampton, a job now held by Steve McLendon.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11327/1192078-100.stm#ixzz1eb5veq4u)

Stairwayto7
11-23-2011, 04:47 PM
??? Hmmmmmm! I can see Kemo getting benched!

Big T
11-23-2011, 04:48 PM
He's been pretty awful. Not to mention his ridiculous personal fouls every game.

Stairwayto7
11-23-2011, 04:51 PM
He's been pretty awful. Not to mention his ridiculous personal fouls every game.

can`t argue that! Its getting old, actually its benn old for a while! :imho:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-23-2011, 05:44 PM
I had Kemoeatu so bad....glad he is benched......

Dee Mca
11-23-2011, 05:53 PM
But Kemo hasn't been flagged the last 2 weeks. Even though 1 of the weeks was a bye week. That's still a streak for him.

Goodfrom55
11-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Hmm, interesting. Kemo has been a bit of a liability of late. I think he plays too heavy. At 344, he should look to get down closer to 320. he pulls OK, but id awful on pass blocking and of course the classic jump on the pile after the whistle and maul someone penalty.

Legs doesn't exactly inspire too much confidence, but I guess they have to start somewhere. At least Legs should be well rested.

--- Added 11/23/2011 at 04:21 PM ---

One thing is for sure, the Steelers are getting "younger" before our eyes. Let's hope that also translates to getting better as well.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Legs doesn't exactly inspire too much confidence, but I guess they have to start somewhere. At least Legs should be well rested.

That's my concern because he's not that much of a upgrade...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2011, 07:41 PM
I applaud Tomlin for making the call the replace Juicy on the line. He's been the weak link since he came back. That knee just isn't right and it's evident when he tries to pull or cut quickly to pick up a pass rusher.

Legursky did a decent job on the left side for Kemo earlier this year, much more suited there than on the right side where he was a turnstyle.

Callax
11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Bout time!!!!
Kemo kept doing really DUMB mistakes. He needed an attitude adjustment AKA benching!

LatrobePA
11-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Legs is a good pulling LG, this was the right move IMO..

nuclearchihuahuas
11-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Legs is a good pulling LG, this was the right move IMO..

totally agree. Kemo is gone after this year :imho:

uclkyle
11-23-2011, 08:51 PM
ABOUT TIME! Kemo is a liability! Shoulda dumped his sorry *** after the super bowl

connecticutsteel
11-23-2011, 11:19 PM
LEGS is a smart player he will do fine he we go we are ready for the back strech to the super bowl

LatrobePA
11-24-2011, 12:47 AM
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 23, 2011
Wednesday news and notes
Doug Legursky is fully healthy and will return to the starting lineup when the Steelers play Sunday night at Kansas City - in place of Chris Kemoeatu at left guard.

Kemoeatu, a four-year starter, said he considered the move a demotion, though he did say the coaching staff told him he just doesn't look healthy out there.

Kemoeatu has been dealing with a knee injury all season.

The move doesn't come as a huge surprise. Kemoeatu has struggled throughout his career with his pass protection and Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked 31 times, the fourth-most in the NFL.

Only Roethlisberger, LaMarr Woodley and Arnaz Battle were limited in practice today, the healthiest the Steelers have been all season.

Roethlisberger said today that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians talked to the offensive unit about forgoing personal goals in order for the team to win.

That could have been aimed at Hines Ward - though Ward has handled his demotion well. It also could have been aimed at Mike Wallace - who has been getting frustrated regarding his lack of looks of late due to opponents doubling him.

In the last month, Antonio Brown has 26 receptions, Wallace 20 and Heath Miller 19.

Perhaps this would only interest me, perhaps not.

The Steelers are 7-0 when they have a higher third down conversion rate than their opponent, 0-3 when they don't.

CowherPower
11-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Roethlisberger said today that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians talked to the offensive unit about forgoing personal goals in order for the team to win.

That's a good thing too hear and probably good timing as well. With the pro bowl voting in full swing it never hurts to remind the players that the ultimate goal is the super bowl. Personal goals are nice but pro bowls don't mean anything compared to another Lombardi.

I think most of the Steelers players realize what they have to do but everyone is human so reinforcing the obvious can be a good thing.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-24-2011, 02:00 AM
Kemoeaut is a stupid fat sloth and I hope he is gone....Legursky can't do much worse and I actually think he is a better fit at LG then RG.........

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Legursky born in Germany, carries a pure Pennsylvania name.

Raleigh Steel
11-24-2011, 08:38 AM
ABOUT TIME! Kemo is a liability! Shoulda dumped his sorry *** after the super bowl

:plus1:

Black@Gold Forever32: Kemoeaut is a stupid fat sloth and I hope he is gone....Legursky can't do much worse and I actually think he is a better fit at LG then RG.........

couldn't have said this better :yellowthumb:

Nolrog
11-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Pitt needs to seriously think about what they want to do with Kemo next year. He's on a 5 year/20 million dollar deal and has a cap hit of 4.233 a year. That's a lot of money that could potentially be spent on a more productive lineman or better yet, given to Wallace.

Dobre Shunka
11-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Legs is not the answer long term for the position, but sometimes you've got to go with what you have and just roll.

He is not the same caliber as Kemo, but Kemo hasn't been doing well.

It was the right decision. IMO

BlitzburghRockCity
11-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians didn't frame it as a benching. The Steelers offensive coordinator said Doug Legursky has simply played a little better than Chris Kemoeatu, which is why he will start at left guard Sunday night in Kansas City.
"Dougie is healthy, and Doug played extremely well when he was in there," Arians said following practice Thursday. "Chris did not play poorly. We just have some good depth in there for the first time in a long time."

Kemoeatu has started 58 games at left guard, including the playoffs, since 2008. Kemoeatu, who has battled a knee injury since early in training camp, started the past four games at left guard.

Read more: (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%27%20Arians%20weighs%20in%20on%20offensiv e%20shift%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_769013.html#ixzz1ehTDswcJ)

Perhaps the coaches should get their stories straight before they talk to the media. A benching is a benching. If you were a starter and now suddenly you aren't, and not because of injury, then you aren't playing up to par.

Mean Linebacker
11-25-2011, 03:39 AM
I think Doug Legursky will do fine. He has always been a serviceable backup on every position but this season when he did play it wasn't anything spectacular except when he filled in for Kemoeatu at Left Guard.

Thisoneguy555
11-25-2011, 05:05 AM
I said earlier this season Legs would be better at left guard than Kemo and everyone thought I was nuts :P

At right guard he was terrible, but the reps he's had at left guard have been pretty solid.

steelspikes
11-25-2011, 04:14 PM
THE BIG LEGURSKY!!!As others say, don't know how much of an upgrade he will be. Let's hope O line can gel b4 Playoffs begin.
Re Hines, it's no secret that he runs slower than the average linebacker. Still, he knows where to find gaps in coverages and "sit down." Antonio Brown obviously a much more versatile weapon. Hope to see Cotchery become more a part of the offense as season unfolds (this seems to be the plan); he's a good possession receiver...maybe as good as Hines, but also more of a threat in other patterns.
Looking for Steelers to get Offense revved up a bit...looking for 30+ pts. vs. Chiefs on Sun. Only 2 previous 30+ games this yr...38 vs. Titans, and 32 vs. Cards.
Ben ranked 8th in NFL in passing...but team ranked 19th is scoring: 22 pts. per game!

K Train
11-26-2011, 12:01 PM
as much as i LOATHE kemoeatu, legursky as an NFL starting LG is a joke, even more so than legursky as a starting RG which we went through opening week

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2011, 03:23 PM
He may not be a stud Guard but I'd certainly rather have him on the left side than the right. He got destroyed even in preseason at RG. I would still say that Kemo is the lesser of 2 evils at LG right now but neither is a long term answer for beyond this season.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Legursky won't commit the stupid penalties like Kemo did.......

Zachintosh66
11-26-2011, 03:31 PM
sure Kemo hasnt been playing well, but in instead is Doug? I just thew up a lil bit in my mouth...

2 wrongs don't make a right

K Train
11-27-2011, 12:33 PM
He may not be a stud Guard but I'd certainly rather have him on the left side than the right. He got destroyed even in preseason at RG. I would still say that Kemo is the lesser of 2 evils at LG right now but neither is a long term answer for beyond this season.

what makes him a better LG at all? id say hed be even worse at LG

Stairwayto7
11-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Definitaley a problem spot to address in the off season!