PDA

View Full Version : Class of 2012 Hall of Fame Steelers finalists

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Just announced this evening, the class of 2012 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists for the Steelers:

Four former Steelers, including safety Donnie Shell and running back Jerome Bettis, are among the 26 modern-day semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Center Dermontti Dawson, a finalist for the Hall of Fame last year, and outside linebacker Kevin Greene are also among those that will be considered for football's highest individual honor. Running back Curtis Martin, a former Brashear High and Pitt standout, is also a semifinalist for the Hall of Fame.

Former Steelers defensive back Jack Butler is one of two senior nominees for the Hall of Fame.

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher was among those that did not make the cut after the Hall of Fame selection committe pared its list of candidates from 105 to 26.
The list of modern-day candidates will be trimmed to 15 in early January. The 2012 Hall of Fame Class will be determined Feb. 4, the day before the Super Bowl, in Indianapolis.

Four to seven candidates will be voted into the Hall of Fame.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Former%20Steelers%20make%20Hall%20of%20Fame%20cut% 20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_768640.html#ixzz1eU1iWsDg)

Stairwayto7
11-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Anyone surprised that Cowher didnt get a nomination? im not!

LarryNJ
11-22-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm surprised Cowher didn't make the cut...although I don't think he deserves it.

Goodfrom55
11-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Bettis should get in this go 'round. I think Cowher needs 200 wins before he is considered for the HOF. Not to mention the consensus among voters is likely that he is not done coaching yet.

connecticutsteel
11-22-2011, 09:04 PM
I've seen articles and news stories about the number of Steelers in the hall of fame and how for that reason they won't put anymore in for a while these were around the time Webster was elected

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2011, 10:35 PM
LC Greenwood not being a finalist is just a travesty. There's no excuse, and I know we beat this dead horse every year, but my goodness he was as much a part of the Steel Curtain as anyone else in the HOF now or not.

Lunchbucket
11-22-2011, 10:50 PM
LC Greenwood not being a finalist is just a travesty. There's no excuse, and I know we beat this dead horse every year, but my goodness he was as much a part of the Steel Curtain as anyone else in the HOF now or not.

I love me some LC too ! to my understanding,there maybe a feeling amoung the Hall voters that there are too many Steelers of the 70's in the Hall.... If this is the case,it's nothing but BS; A numbers game :willybs:..............LC deserves not only to be mentioned,.....But be in the Hall with his peers.:tt02:

Callax
11-23-2011, 12:48 PM
About time Shell got a chance!!!!!!!!
He is the 1st true safety to get 50 interceptions in a career
He never played corner, got older, then go to safety.
bout time!!!

Thisoneguy555
11-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Greene is the only one I see having a free chance, he's 3rd all time in sacks, how he isn't in yet is crazy to me. But the majority of his career was with the Rams, so the Rams would get credit if he makes the HOF.

Martin will get in before Bettis, so until Martin gets the nod, Bettis will just sit there and wait.

CowherPower
11-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Donnie Shell needs to make this cut, it's way too long overdue.
I agree that Bill Cowher is not a first ballot hall of fame coach but I think eventually he'll get in, although him coming back to coach next year is a real possibility so things could change.

SteelCityVoice
11-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Cowher shouldn't get HOF consideration until he's done coaching.

--- Added 11/24/2011 at 10:28 AM ---

I do agree, martin should probably get in before Bettis. I doubt they both go in together. Kevin Greene belongs in as does Shell.

Too many Steelers in the Hall? That's complete crap. They won 4 titles in 6 years. It should go without saying they had a ton of all-time talent. If a player deserves to be in..put them in.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-25-2011, 10:26 AM
I would think there's no reason that Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis shouldn't be in the hall. I agree it would be tough for them to go in together, but if it was a toss up between one this year and one the next I could probably be happy either way. The top 3 are already in the HOF and both Martin & Bettis have the numbers to back up their case too.

Stairwayto7
11-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Bettis yards say it all he will get in. Maybe not this year but soon enough!

Cowher should get in eventually, I think! He won one ring! He had a ton of coordinators taken to be head coaches, more than anyone I can think of. So was it him? Is one ring enough. As far as him being done coaching, I believe he is, he doesnt seem to even entertain any offers, he wife passed away and even though his girls are almost all out of college it seems like he wants to be there for them. And he looks very comfortable on the set. I say he stays on tv as long as they keep him. Hell every year away from coaching has to bring his stock down anyway?