PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Tuesday: Press conference 11/22

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Talking for the first time since meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last week at league headquarters, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called the discussions "very productive" at his weekly news conference today.

Tomlin and team president Art Rooney II spent Thursday in New York meeting with Goodell about recent statements and actions regarding player safety, including fines being levied on the Steelers in which they feel fall within the rules.

"We exchanged some ideas and I think the meeting was born out of a conversation with Art and the commissioner," Tomlin said. "They thought it would be productive for all of us to sit down and talk. It (was) good bye-week stuff."

Tomlin would not go into specifics of what the conversation consisted of, but Ryan Clark`s $40,000 fine for hitting Baltimore`s Ed Dickson likely was the topic of conversation.

"I will leave the conversation with those guys between them and myself," Tomlin said. "I think that is appropriate. I will say this, I appreciate the opportunity to visit with those men and get their perspective on some things and be able to give mine."
In other news, Tomlin said the safety Troy Polamalu is dealing with sore ribs, but fully expects him to play Sunday night against Kansas City as well as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (thumb). ... Linebacker LaMarr Woodley (hamstring), receivers Arnaz Battle (hamstring) and Emmanuel Sanders (knee) are day-to-day and have yet to be ruled out for Sunday`s game.

From the Trib (Tomlin:%20Discussions%20with%20Goodell%20%27produ ctive%27%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_768586.html#ixzz1eSRoILm3)

I'll have the full audio of his presser posted up later today.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Everytime there is a meeting of a Steelers player or coach with the league they always categorize it as "productive". So either the league said this is how it is, deal with it or they actually exchanged ideas and then the league said, this is how it is so deal with it.LOL

LatrobePA
11-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
Tuesday with Tomlin, coming out of the bye

From the sound of things, Mike Tomlin expects Emmanuel Sanders to be available when the Steelers travel to Kansas City this weekend.

Sanders has been out of action a couple of weeks following the death of his mother and having his knee scoped.

What that means for Hines Ward remains to be seen. Tomlin said the team hasn't come up with its complete game plan yet for the Chiefs and decided on what role, if any, Ward will play.

One thing that likely won't happen is Ward being a healthy scratch. No. 6 receiver Arnaz Battle, a special teams ace, is still dealing with a hamstring injury and won't play this week.

But what happens when Battle is healthy is anyone's guess.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley is continuing to work his way back from a hamstring injury. Tomlin said he'll continue to be limited in practice for now. But he's been less limited of late than he was a couple of weeks ago - when limited meant he did some work with trainers.

Tomlin said there are a couple of reasons for Cameron Heyward's lack of playing time against the Bengals.

Tomlin doesn't want to take Brett Keisel and Ziggy Hood off the field – "they are highly conditioned athletes" – and the Steelers have been playing more sub packages that use only two defensive linemen.

SnakeEyes43
11-22-2011, 01:07 PM
An unconfimred news source that I made up reported today Goodell told Tomlin that Steelers players better be ready to "bend over and take it." Whether it's in the form of undeserving fines and penalties, no protection for QB Roethlisberger, or just plain bad officiating, Steeler players and fans are going to continue to "suck it".

At least that's how I think the report from the Goodell meeting should look.

LatrobePA
11-22-2011, 01:24 PM
An unconfimred news source that I made up reported today Goodell told Tomlin that Steelers players better be ready to "bend over and take it." Whether it's in the form of undeserving fines and penalties, no protection for QB Roethlisberger, or just plain bad officiating, Steeler players and fans are going to continue to "suck it".

At least that's how I think the report from the Goodell meeting should look.

Sounds about right..

The report came from Harbaugh while he was palming Goodells sack!

SteelDad
11-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Sounds about right..

The report came from Harbaugh while he was palming Goodells sack!:lol::lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Tomlin said there are a couple of reasons for Cameron Heyward's lack of playing time against the Bengals.

Tomlin doesn't want to take Brett Keisel and Ziggy Hood off the field "they are highly conditioned athletes" and the Steelers have been playing more sub packages that use only two defensive linemen.

It's hard to argue with that because both guys are playing well so you don't want to fix what isn't broke. Heyward will get his chances to play and we can't forget he's still learning the ins and outs of playing on the defensive line in a Lebeau 34 defense. Getting off blocks, knowing when to bull rush, hang back, etc are all things that just take time. Guys that block you in the NFL are just a tad stronger, faster, quicker, and smarter than the ones that blocked you in college.

Troyisabeast_43
11-22-2011, 02:52 PM
It appears that Hines Ward has been passed up on the depth chart as well by Cotchery according to Tomlin as well...Hines I still believe has a lot to contribute to this team I believe and I wouldnt rule him out of making a big big play somewhere down the road...But for now it appears that Brown,Sanders,and Cotchery have passed up Hines on the depth chart...

LatrobePA
11-22-2011, 02:55 PM
A healthy scratch sounds as though he has...

Goodfrom55
11-22-2011, 05:23 PM
You know how I would use Ward? Call me crazy, but I would use him as a blocker in the backfield on shotgun passing plays and if everyone is picked up, have him sneak off into the flat and utilize his abilities that way. It's win-win because he is a good blocker, he is an excellent pair of hands and even though he is a little older, out of the backfield presents a bad matchup for a LB to cover him in this capacity.

connecticutsteel
11-22-2011, 06:45 PM
It's hard to argue with that because both guys are playing well so you don't want to fix what isn't broke. Heyward will get his chances to play and we can't forget he's still learning the ins and outs of playing on the defensive line in a Lebeau 34 defense. Getting off blocks, knowing when to bull rush, hang back, etc are all things that just take time. Guys that block you in the NFL are just a tad stronger, faster, quicker, and smarter than the ones that blocked you in college.
Here is one idea play Hood at NT and Heywaed AND Kiesel at tackle all the stuff about the sped of the game and sheding block can only be honed one way on the field I think they were counting on him ouitplaying kiesel. and it didn't playout

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Hood has lined up at some at NT and depending on what happens next year with Hampton, there could be more times when Ziggy lines up there more in the future.

Whether Hampton retires next year or not, the Steelers are still doing to have to decide what they want to do for the future at that position. Hood has found his home at LDE now and the 34 requires that you have a monster NT type of player like Hampton or Wilfork for example.

Mean Linebacker
11-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Cotchery will get more playing time this weekend if Emmanuel Sanders isn't ready to go. The offense should not miss a beat with him in there. He may not be as fast as Antonio Brown or Mike Wallace but he's got enough speed and his ability to get open and make the tough catch in traffic makes up for it.

Goodfrom55
11-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Cotchery will get more playing time this weekend if Emmanuel Sanders isn't ready to go. The offense should not miss a beat with him in there. He may not be as fast as Antonio Brown or Mike Wallace but he's got enough speed and his ability to get open and make the tough catch in traffic makes up for it.

Agreed, as was described of Cotchery - He is Hines Ward 6 years ago. Was happy to see him in the mix in Cincy.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Receiver Emmanuel Sanders was a full participant in practice Wednesday, saying "things are looking good" for Sunday. Sanders has missed the past two games because of a knee injury. Safety Troy Polamalu (ribs) was a full participant yesterday. Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley and receiver Arnaz Battle were listed as limited in practice.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Arians%20tells%20Steelers%20to%20focus%20on%20team %20goals%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_768900.html#ixzz1eb9CgkiY)

BlitzburghRockCity
11-25-2011, 02:35 AM
Like a lot of players, Emmanuel Sanders wants to get into coaching when his playing days end. That does not mean the Steelers wide receiver, who is expected to return this week after missing two games because of knee surgery, is ready to put on a headset.

"[The injury] made me make a realization about this game," said Sanders, 24.
"Don't take it for granted. Today could be my last day. You've just got to come at it from that perspective."

Sanders practiced fully Wednesday and Thursday and, barring an unexpected setback, expects to play Sunday night against the Chiefs in Kansas City. He injured his knee in the Steelers' 25-17 win against New England Oct. 30 and had arthroscopic surgery shortly thereafter.

Thursday, Sanders said his knee felt good and that there has been no swelling, a good sign in his recovery.

"I just go to practice, try and put some WD-40 on my game," he said."I've been out for two weeks so I'm looking to pick up where I left off."
Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Sanders was not quite playing at his pre-injury level but that he expected him to get back there by Sunday.
The injury came just as Sanders was starting to find his groove in the Steelers offense. After six consecutive games of two or fewer catches, he had five receptions against both Arizona and New England.

In the past two games, however, Antonio Brown has excelled in Sanders' role, catching five passes for 109 yards against the Baltimore Ravens and five more for 86 against the Cincinnati Bengals. Sanders made it clear, though, that there is no position battle going on between them.

"At the end of the day, we're a receiving corps," he said. "I'm extremely happy for those guys. I hope I can come in and add a new dimension to make us even better."
Arians said that Sanders' understanding of the game as both an inside and outside receiver make him a valuable asset.

Fellow receiver Mike Wallace noted Sanders is one of the most cerebral of the receivers, likely a good reason a role on the sidelines may be in his future.
"Everything you tell him, he takes it in," Wallace said. "He always says that, when he's done playing football, he wants to be a coach, so everything he does is real technical.
"He really wants to learn."

During his recovery, Sanders also dealt with the loss of his mother, who died Nov. 1. He said the hardest part was comforting his younger sisters, 19 and 22.
"They leaned on my mom a lot," he said.

"So, now, I've got to come in and fill that void. I've embraced it, just filling that role. They kind of took it hard, so I had to be there for them."
Wallace said he called and texted Sanders, letting him know that his teammates were there to support him through the grieving process.

"They've helped me out a lot," Sanders said. "They've been definitely like a band of brothers, my support system. Whenever I get down or if anything happens, I go to them."

As difficult as the past few weeks have been for him, Sanders said he has grown from the experience.

"I'm only 24 years old, but it seems like I'm going through a lot," he said.
"At the end of the day, I always look at the glass half full. That's just how I look at life. I'm always going to try and have fun, and I'm going to continue to be that way."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11329/1192329-66-0.stm#ixzz1ehTn06jZ)