PDA

View Full Version : Will Rashard Mendenhall reach 1000 rushing yards this season

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Currently, Mendenhall has 136 carries for 517 yds for an average 3.8 ypc and 6 TD's on the season. Not exactly stellar numbers to say the least but still plenty of time for him to reach the 1000 yds rushing goal for the season; atleast in theory. His best game so far this season was the 146 yd effort against the Jaguars. His next best game rushing was 70 yds against the Patriots. The rest of the games he's coming out with yardage no higher than 66 yards rushing.

The next closest on the team is of course Isaac Redman with 64 carriers for 245 yds. A 3.8 ypc average and 1 TD, so we know he's not going to get there.

Right now Mendenhall is slightly below his average for the entire season, per rush, when he finished with 3.9 ypc last year. In 2010 though he did finish with 1,273 yds and 13 TD's. The Steelers schedule does lend itself to good running performances the rest of the way (except for maybe the 49ers game) should they choose to go that route but something tells me that we'll be seeing a lot more Ben and the passing game and Mendenhall could be hard pressed to reach that 1000 yds on the season.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-21-2011, 11:26 PM
As long as the Steelers win I don't care if Rashard gets 1,000 yards.......

Goodfrom55
11-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Hate to hold it against him because he has only been averaging 13 carries a game. If the Steelers commit to about 22-26 carries a game where he can get 90, 100 yards, then yes, I believe he will get it. Mendenhall is better than a lot of people give him credit for being, just beeds to get into a rhythm and make a hole when there is none and stop dancing.

K Train
11-21-2011, 11:46 PM
bens broken thumb and the weather getting colder, i think so

steelersbabex25
11-22-2011, 12:15 AM
He might, he might not. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2011, 08:18 AM
bens broken thumb and the weather getting colder, i think so

You would think so but I have to wonder how much Arians will tone it down even though Ben has played through it before. His pass happy mentality might continue to grow even in bad weather.

I suspect though that they will try and run the ball more in the bad weather, it just makes sense. How successful they are is another story, but since they've been able to move the ball with the short passing game (when they feel like it, lol) that's another reason the run game hasn't been as effective as in years past.

SnakeEyes43
11-22-2011, 08:22 AM
I would like to see Redman get more cold weather carries.

Is Ktrain gone?.... :hide:

Haha, but yes, I see Mendy getting 1,000 yards this season.

MDSteel15
11-22-2011, 09:05 AM
NOt unless he gets about 200 this weekend!

LatrobePA
11-22-2011, 09:39 AM
No but Redman will...:stirpot:

Rampage
11-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Needing about 500 in six games would be tough considering his production thus far. Going against the Bengals and Niners, you would have to think he will have sub par outings, so that leaves four games, two against the Browns, one against the Chiefs and one against the Rams, to achieve the majority of that. Really, there is hope, but if he doesn't produce this week, he will likely be too far out to make 1,000 on the year.

Steel Trap86
11-22-2011, 12:49 PM
doubt it. Mendy hasn't been that spectacular this season. He's a solid back who had a great game last week, but far from elite at this point imo

K Train
11-22-2011, 01:24 PM
realistically the rams and browns both have terrible run defenses...he could have career days there

LatrobePA
11-22-2011, 01:36 PM
realistically the rams and browns both have terrible run defenses...he could have career days there

Browns are #1 against the pass so we'll throw 52 times that game. lol

LarryNJ
11-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Does 1000 yards really mean anything? There's usually at least about 15 runners that have a 1000 yards so that's simply a little better than average.

Goodfrom55
11-22-2011, 05:17 PM
The guy is a curly hair under 4 yards per carry and only gets on average 13 carries per game. With the weather turning colder and the state of Ben's thumb, it is imperative they commit to the run to take pressure off Ben and also to be able to close out games.

Obviously the emphasis is on throwing, but like you all said, as the weather gets colder, they have to start feeding the "Mendenhorse" more than 13 carries per game.

Real Deal Steel
11-23-2011, 01:38 AM
I look for Arians to run the ball starting with this Chiefs game. With that said, Mendy will reach 1000 yards. Got to take as much pressure off of Ben and that thumb as possible.

Nolrog
11-23-2011, 08:05 AM
No, he won't get there. Hasn't been running well all year. OL is part to blame but so is his juke step style. We need a guy who goes north south.

Stairwayto7
11-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Really feel he is an underachiever either way

LevonKirkland99
11-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Not sure if he'll reach 1000 this year as he hasn't been impressive. But we're throwing the ball now more than we used to in the past.

tburg68
11-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Mendy should be cut before Sunday. He is just getting in the way of Redman launching his full on assault of Canton, OH.

LevonKirkland99
11-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Mendy should be cut before Sunday. He is just getting in the way of Redman launching his full on assault of Canton, OH.

I couldn't agree with you more. He can't run in the middle anymore. Give Redman out of Bowie State a chance.

Stairwayto7
11-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Not sure how much $$$$$ he is pulling in but whatever it is as a 1st rounder its probably to much for a average back. IMO. In the off-season we need to evaluate the RB situation.

Thisoneguy555
11-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Redman and Mendy share carries so much, they'll get to 1000 together, but no way Mendy gets 1000 himself, even in a blizzard, Mendy will probably only get 15 carries in this offense.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Not sure how much $$$$$ he is pulling in but whatever it is as a 1st rounder its probably to much for a average back. IMO. In the off-season we need to evaluate the RB situation.

He hits free agent status in 2013 so I don't see the Steelers letting him go next year. He's shown he can be a good back and even though Redman plays well Mendy still has a place on this team for the time being. Now after his deal up that could be a different story.

Stairwayto7
11-25-2011, 10:40 AM
He hits free agent status in 2013 so I don't see the Steelers letting him go next year. He's shown he can be a good back and even though Redman plays well Mendy still has a place on this team for the time being. Now after his deal up that could be a different story.

I was watching the cowgirls vs fins yesterday and Reggie Bush seem to me anyway to run harder than Mendy! Reggie is smaller and faster but he was hitting the hole hard! I dont see that with Mendy not on a consistant basis

CowherPower
11-26-2011, 06:23 PM
I think Bush has found some new life in Miami. He has never been known as an every down type of back. His durability and running style have always been in question in that role. He's elevated his game this year though.

Rashard runs hard and he can break tackles, we saw that in the Bengals game just a couple weeks ago. If he hits the hole right from the get go he can be flat out awesome. It's when he dances and stutters around and then gets tackled for no gain that drives me nuts.

Stairwayto7
11-27-2011, 09:55 AM
I think Bush has found some new life in Miami. He has never been known as an every down type of back. His durability and running style have always been in question in that role. He's elevated his game this year though.

Rashard runs hard and he can break tackles, we saw that in the Bengals game just a couple weeks ago. If he hits the hole right from the get go he can be flat out awesome. It's when he dances and stutters around and then gets tackled for no gain that drives me nuts.

EXACTLY! It seems to me he is looking for the homerun run each and every time. Hit the hole you`ll get your yards!:imho: