PDA

View Full Version : Arians wants to return to the Steelers next season

jpele
11-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but......

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians spent the Steelers' off weekend at his Reynolds Plantation home in Greensboro, Ga., a spectacular golfing community on Lake Oconee, about halfway between Atlanta and Augusta. At this time a year ago, he couldn't wait to retire and move there full time. In fact, after the 2010 season, he told coach Mike Tomlin he was done after 36 years in coaching. Tomlin and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger quickly and quietly talked him out of quitting.

And now?

"We'll see how it goes the rest of the season, but it's looking like I'll try coaching again next year," Arians said Sunday. "These young guys have made it so much fun for me."

Full story (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11325/1191473-87-0.stm?cmpid=cook.xml)

For what it's worth...Ben you have enough money to buy your own golf course, you don't need Bruce. :rant2:

Raleigh Steel
11-21-2011, 08:38 AM
i've had warts that went away quicker.

LatrobePA
11-21-2011, 09:35 AM
As much as I can't stand the guy, Ben isn't a normal QB and requires a certain OC, with that said I'm not sure how well Ben would do in a different system.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Ben had a good coordinator in Whisenhunt when he was here but he admitted he was a young, punk, kid who thought he knew it all. Eventually Whis moved on and in comes Arians.

Ben isn't your typical QB and I've actually wondered how he'd do with another coordinator. Arians pretty much gives him complete input and say as to what goes into the playbook; although Bruce reigns him in probably more than we might like at times. Especially with things like the no huddle, more slant patterns, predictability in the redzone, etc.

Overall with Arians it has and always will be a crapshoot. One week he calls a great game and the next he makes you want to jump out a window.

coldrolled
11-21-2011, 10:10 AM
sorry, but one quarter is good the next is zero the next is good the next is zero..

we can't win the super bowl without 4 qtrs of a good offense..
unless our defense plays stellar for 4qtrs...

please post a game where this arians offense played a solid 4 qtrs in one game...

thats my issue with him.

SnakeEyes43
11-21-2011, 10:36 AM
:thud:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I would like to hope that with all these WR's at his disposal that Arians offensive play calling. I emphasize the word "hope" because we all know Arians loves to throw the ball and even last year with how well Sanders and Brown were playing, they were still rookies and learning the ropes. Those guys know the system pretty well now and while they are still growing and improving, they are capable of carrying their own weight. Perhaps with those additional weapons along with the already capable pass catchers, we might see more of what he wants to do.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-22-2011, 12:11 AM
All of the young receivers is why he wants to come back...he already took the fullback out of the offense ,now he wants to see if he can take the running back out also !!:thinking:

Goodfrom55
11-22-2011, 12:24 AM
If you want a pass 1st offense, then Arians is your guy. If you want a balanced attack, then you need to bring someone else in here.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-22-2011, 12:25 AM
But its not Arians who bobbles passes that leads to INT's like Heath did vs the Bengals.......BA also didn't drop a key third down pass like Wallace did vs the Bengals.....The execution by the players at times is as much to blame as Arian's goofy playing calling.....No matter who the OC is fans will complain about him....lol

I think Ben would be great no matter what but BA has played a part in the growth of Big Ben as an NFL QB....If Whisenhunt had remained I'm sure we still would have seen the Cowher offense here.......Ken only adjusted in AZ since he took over a team with Kurt Warner at QB, Boldin and Fitz at WR........

Goodfrom55
11-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Mike Francessa in NYC brought up a good point today about OC's. He said there is not a fan base in the NFL that likes their OC. He said he would be surprised if they had a problem in Green Bay for one reason or another.

My issue with Arians is his red zone play calling STINKS, and he doesn't know how to close a game. Execution is a big part of it, no doubt, but I think he does a horrible job inside the 10 yard line. Sad, but when the Steelers are inside the 10, I simply hope they don't turn it over and walk away with a FG.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2011, 11:02 AM
But its not Arians who bobbles passes that leads to INT's like Heath did vs the Bengals.......BA also didn't drop a key third down pass like Wallace did vs the Bengals.....The execution by the players at times is as much to blame as Arian's goofy playing calling.....No matter who the OC is fans will complain about him....lol

I think Ben would be great no matter what but BA has played a part in the growth of Big Ben as an NFL QB....If Whisenhunt had remained I'm sure we still would have seen the Cowher offense here.......Ken only adjusted in AZ since he took over a team with Kurt Warner at QB, Boldin and Fitz at WR........

If Heath doesn't bobble that pass that gets picked off that game probably isn't as close at the end. The players are usually pretty solid at catching what comes near them but in the redzone it's about a 50-50 toss up if the play calling stinks or the receivers drop a sure TD or the line can't block. It's all combined to make up the offense. All in all Bruce is pretty good between the 20's when he has a wide open playbook available to him.

LatrobePA
11-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Monday, November 21, 2011
Things that make me go hmmm

The Steelers have scored points on 60 percent of their opening possessions of the game. On all of their other possessions, they score 34 percent of the time.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians scripts the first 15 plays of the game and - seemingly - they work well.

It makes me wonder why the team struggles so much after they're done with the script.

Part of it, I'm sure, are adjustments made by the other team. Another part of the blame could also fall on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's shoulders.

Roethlisberger calls audibles quite a bit and sometimes it just doesn't work.

Perhaps the best thing would be for the Steelers to run Arians' scripted plays and then go to a no-huddle, when Roethlisberger seems to be at his best.

Pittsburgh is unbeaten when it scores on its opening possession, 1-3 when it doesn't.

It's been a tough couple of weeks for quarterbacks, with Jay Cutler going down on Sunday.

This came after Matt Cassell, Matt Schaub and others were lost for the season the weekend before.

It shows why the league has the protection rules in place for its QBs. We'll see tonight how Tyler Palko does replacing Cassell.

If that wasn't a touchdown by Cincinnati's Jermaine Gresham in the fourth quarter against Baltimore, they should just stop playing the game.

Gresham pulled the ball in, had it under his control when he crossed the goal line and took three steps.

Then he lost the ball when he went to the ground.

If that happened in the field of play, it's a catch. If he were a runner and did that, it's a touchdown.

But since the ball was thrown, it's not a score?

Ridiculous. It's a rule that needs to be changed.

Goodfrom55
11-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Monday, November 21, 2011
Things that make me go hmmm

The Steelers have scored points on 60 percent of their opening possessions of the game. On all of their other possessions, they score 34 percent of the time.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians scripts the first 15 plays of the game and - seemingly - they work well.

It makes me wonder why the team struggles so much after they're done with the script.

Because Arians has time the night before to think about what he wants to do and script plays that for the most part compliment each other. Otherwise, his play calling is situational and in this regard, he is not a good decision maker / play caller. it's like he tries too hard to out think the room and winds up painting himself into a corner.

tburg68
11-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Arians spits the bit under pressure. Its not that difficult to call plays when there isn't a lot on the line. As the pressure mounts, his *** tightens and his play calling sucks.

It is ridiculous how bad the Steelers are in the Red Zone, and they don't have a "step on your throat when you are down" mentality.

Arians doesn't understand important game changing opportunities.

coldrolled
11-23-2011, 10:24 AM
We lost to the Ravens twice. The OC needs to plan and beat your number one divisional enemy every year at least once, thats a #1 priority.

We are now in the back seat again because BA cant put good teams away.

He needs his zero point qtrs or he isnt playing his game... Fire Him..

Thisoneguy555
11-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Winning teams don't fire their coordinators, no matter how good they. There are few exceptions, but rarely does it happen. Especially when $100 million quarterback wants to keep him around.

Arians will be here until the team has a really bad losing season, or misses the playoffs 2 years in a row or Ben retires and no one is around to defend Arians.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Arians will be there until Ben says he shouldn't be there. As long as Roethlisberger is the QB, he will want to keep Arians around. I agree it would take atleast 2 back to back bad seasons for Tomlin to consider letting him go.

StillinBaltimore
11-26-2011, 06:10 PM
I work with a guy who was at Temple when BA was there and he said that BA was in over his head THERE.

Clevelandsux
11-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Ofcourse he does. When a team will keep his dumbass, when he sucks. We need an innovative oc like mullarkey or whisenhunt were.

UKSTEELER
11-26-2011, 07:58 PM
it doesn't take a genius to get a good passing offence going when you have a top 5 qb, 3 of the best young receivers in the NFL and a top 10 TE in Heath Miller.

yet Arians consistently makes heavy going of it.

I'm convinced we won't win the SB again until he's replaced, I'm afraid Lightening will not strike twice, we won our last SB despite of Bruce.

So essentially, it looks like the rest of Ben's career and the first half of the youngmoney's careers will be all for nowt.

SteelDad
11-27-2011, 12:00 AM
What speaks volumes of Arians is that he has now been the OC for two SB teams yet is never mentioned for HC jobs. This could simply be because he isnt interested in being a HC but when is the last time a guy with his resume was not mentioned for HC jobs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

coldrolled
11-27-2011, 11:15 AM
What speaks volumes of Arians is that he has now been the OC for two SB teams yet is never mentioned for HC jobs. This could simply be because he isnt interested in being a HC but when is the last time a guy with his resume was not mentioned for HC jobs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

This is simply because everyone sees what we see, an OC keeping a football team from being unbeatable.

coldrolled
11-29-2011, 08:17 AM
yet Arians consistently makes heavy going of it.

I'm convinced we won't win the SB again until he's replaced, I'm afraid Lightening will not strike twice, we won our last SB despite of Bruce.

So essentially, it looks like the rest of Ben's career and the first half of the youngmoney's careers will be all for nowt.

And Ben's elite status....

This week, Brees 49 points.. Brady 38 points....

Ben 13 points average start from the KC 23 yard line three times.

Fire Arians...

SnakeEyes43
11-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Cool. We don't want you...bye.

SteelCityKid5
11-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I think Ben is as much of the offensive coordinator as Arians is. Therefore and unfortunately, I don't see Arians leaving.

TampaSteelGirl
11-29-2011, 05:07 PM
CAN I GET A HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

LatrobePA
11-29-2011, 05:16 PM
CAN I GET A HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hell No!! lol