PDA

View Full Version : Take '04 to KC

CoachC
11-19-2011, 08:06 AM
With Kansas City looming and injured, the Steelers should take the ’04 approach and take the air out of the ball. The Chiefs just allowed Tebow and the Broncos to run 55 times on them with multiple backs and succeed.

In ’04, Ben was a rookie; we were rolling in dominating fashion. We were coming out early, throwing safe balls, taking shots, getting up on teams 21 – 0 (i.e. Eagles game in ’04) then shutting the door with the run. With Ben’s thumb broken again and our team in somewhat of a heeling mode, I believe this same approach should be taken in 9 days.

We all miss the days of the 3 yard and a cloud of dust mentality, at least I do. Many question whether we have the backs to do it. Mendenhall is a top notch back in my opinion, though I do believe he has a tendency to dance before hitting the hole. If we can put a package together with the old school “pro” or “split-backs” look. We can get him and Redman in the game together and truly “take the air out of the ball.”

Now, I know what some of you are thinking, our defense isn’t the same shut out defense it once was. Is it not? Yes, we have given up leads late in games, but shouldn’t some of that blame fall on the offense going 3 and out continuously in the 4th quarter of games? We saw the Seattle Seahawks take the final 4 minutes off of the clock against the Ravens this past weekend. If we could have done that in the Ravens game, we are singing a different tune today. Our offense hasn’t ended a game in the 4th quarter since our playoff run last season.

We need to get back to it, and we can get back to it with a statement pounding of the football in Kansas City.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-19-2011, 09:06 AM
I just know I hate it when we have to play at Arrowhead. It doesn't matter to me how beat up they are or how crappy their season is...I just feel like that place is bad luck.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Yea with Ben and these WR's lets just run the football......The Steelers don't have the offensive line to dominate front 7's and run the football all game.....Running the ball will keep the Chiefs in the game.....

CoachC
11-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Running the ball effectively will take them out of the game... Throwing the ball all over the place is not effective in putting teams away (ie. tipped passes into the hands of the D)

Black@Gold Forever32
11-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Running the ball effectively will take them out of the game... Throwing the ball all over the place is not effective in putting teams away (ie. tipped passes into the hands of the D)

When have the Steelers shown they can put teams away with just running the ball this year?......The Jags game and that is it......The Steelers don't have the hogs up front to dominate front 7's across the NFL......

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2011, 12:26 AM
I just know I hate it when we have to play at Arrowhead. It doesn't matter to me how beat up they are or how crappy their season is...I just feel like that place is bad luck.

Yeah playing in that place makes me nervous too. Even if the Chiefs aren't doing well that crowd can make life miserable and help keep them in the game.

SteelDad
11-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Saying we should run the ball and being able to do it are two vastly different things. This team is built to throw it and believe me, if I have accepted this, then that is saying something because I love pounding the ball. No sense in changing what we are doing now. Stay aggressive and keep the D on its' heels.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2011, 09:27 AM
We talked about this last night with Craig Wolfley. The Steelers running game is not what it used to be because the offensive philosophy has changed. It's not about who gets 100 yds rushing in a game anymore and not as much about making sure you rush for a 100 yds because that's how the Steelers win. Times have changed.

The new Steelers offense is about being versatile and being able to score in any situation. If that means running, then you run. If it means passing then you pass.