PDA

View Full Version : Tough as nails, Big Ben approaching 3000 yds passing

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2011, 01:34 AM
It's only week 11 in the NFL and heading into this weekend, all be it a bye for our Steelers, Ben only needs 123 yds to reach 3000 for the season. The Steelers still have 6 games to play yet so the possibility of a 4000 yd passing season is very realistic.

Ben Roethlisberger seemingly thrives on adversity. The Steelers quarterback has been on the field when others probably would spend game day icing stressed muscles or resting aching joints.

In October, Roethlisberger limped onto Heinz Field with an ailing foot to face fired-up Tennessee a week after getting pummeled in a ragged defeat at Houston. The Steelers humbled the Titans, 38-17, even as Roethlisberger hobbled in and out of the huddle.
On Sunday in Cincinnati, he broke his right thumb midway through the third quarter. The Steelers escaped with a 24-17 victory over the Bengals, who had been atop the AFC North.

Roethlisberger orchestrated an 81-yard scoring drive with his most reliable receiver, Hines Ward, on the bench. He did it even though the offensive line allowed the Bengals to sack him five times for the second time in three games.
"Ben is a tough guy mentally and physically," guard Ramon Foster said. "A lot of quarterbacks show their emotions, but with him you might only see a grimace whether he gets hit or breaks a thumb."
Roethlisberger, who has been sacked an AFC-high 31 times, didn't flinch on the winning drive. He took a couple of heavy blows to his banged-up body but maintained his focus.

"The way I play the game, a lot of those sacks are on me," Roethlisberger said Tuesday. "It's my fault because I hold the ball and try to make plays."
Still, until the offensive line discovered some continuity a month ago, it was peppered with criticism. It couldn't run block. It couldn't pass block.

The offensive front is last in the AFC in efficiency. Only St. Louis' line has given up more sacks (32).

Despite those unimpressive numbers, Roethlisberger is having what Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis called "one of his best seasons ever." Roethlisberger needs only 123 passing yards to reach 3,000. His touchdown-to-interception ratio of 16-9 isn't anything to brag about, but he's completing 63.3 percent of his throws, and the Steelers are 7-3 — a surprising start considering they stumbled out of the gate with a 35-7 loss in Baltimore.

"He's just a great quarterback," guard Doug Legursky said. "He's been able to stay calm no matter what happens. If it's successful for him, it's success for our offense."
"I don't make excuses, and I'm not going to complain about anything," Roethlisberger said. "I went in and grab those guys four or five weeks ago and reminded them that I'll always stand up for them."

Roethlisberger has led by example. He has played hurt and shouldered much of the blame when the Steelers came up short.

"After the first game, everyone counted us out," said Roethlisberger, who threw three interceptions and fumbled twice in that loss to the Ravens. "We just laughed because it was too early. We're not sitting where we want to be, but we're in a good spot. We're slowly working our way to the top."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Roethlisberger%20brings%20toughness%20to%20Steeler s%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_767774.html#ixzz1dwRyvbYn)

DBR96A
11-17-2011, 03:36 AM
His TD/INT ratio in the last six weeks is 13/4, and his passer rating in those games is 101.4. He's been playing very well since Max Starks came back.

LarryNJ
11-17-2011, 04:14 AM
There's no question he's an elite qb top 5 in the league, many have him at #3.

Tough no doubt but it's no like he's the only QB who plays hurt.

"After the first game, everyone counted us out," said Roethlisberger, who threw three interceptions and fumbled twice in that loss to the Ravens."

:lol: Players love to play that underdog card. I don't think anyone counted them out after the first week. Well maybe a few Raven fans.

steelersbabex25
11-17-2011, 10:40 AM
He's really come around since the first few weeks. He still has his rough moments but much better than he was in the first few games.

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-17-2011, 11:23 AM
4000 yards before the season ends.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2011, 01:53 PM
I think it was BG32 that said Ben was going to throw for 4000 yds this season, and he called Ben's last 3000 yd season too. Dude must know something..LOL.

The Steelers really do excel in the underdog role. They play the us against the world card very well, they always have.

He only has to average about 187 yds per game to the rest of the way out to hit 4K.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-17-2011, 03:26 PM
I predicted Ben's 30+ TDs in 2007 and threw for 32 that season....I said he would throw for 30 again this year....He needs 14 in 6 games to reach 30 so I don't know if he will.......Really if Ben remains healthy every season then 4,000 yards passing and 25+ TDs should be the norm.....

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2011, 07:30 PM
I'll take 25 TD's from Ben every year no problem. Yeah 14 more this season might be a bit much but who knows. The secondaries we're facing are nothing special except for the 49ers so it could happen.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2011, 02:53 PM
KC is 16th against the pass, and give up an average of just over 24 points per game. Even if Sanders doesn't come back there's no reason Ben can't have a good day in Arrowhead and take a nice chunk out of that remaining total to hit 4K.

In the end, 4K passing yards doesn't matter much, it's only wins and losses but it's fun to think about a Steeler QB hitting that landmark.

CowherPower
11-23-2011, 03:54 PM
I fully expect Big Ben to reach the 4,000 yards passing landmark this season. He is having his best year to date with yardage I believe, and his ability to utilize all of his weapons makes this offense as potent as any in the league when they are all on the same page.