PDA

View Full Version : Casey Hampton. . .

Goodfrom55
11-16-2011, 06:48 PM
. . .is becoming a liability in the run defense. He regularly gets blown off the ball and on Sunday, was running himself out of many of the Bengals running plays. I'm very concerned and wondering if the Steelers need to make a change in the middle, whether it is McClendon, Hoke, Cam, Woods or someone could make a difference. He no longer gets penetration and is no longer holding the point of attack in stretch plays, which makes the defense vulnerable to the cutback run.

If something was already posted about this, I apologize - I have not been on the boards since last week.

What do you guys/girls think?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2011, 08:38 PM
They held Benson to 57 yds and Scott to 38. Overall the Bengals got 100 yds on the ground by committee, the same way the Steelers did. Casey played pretty well 2 weeks ago against the Ravens and was ok this past week. He's no spring chicken anymore and can't play a whole game but when he's on his game he's still pretty stoudt.

I like seeing Hoke in there and McLendon out there. The Steelers are, I believe 17-1 when Hoke starts at NT. McLendon is the smallest of the bunch but he's strong as an ox. Big Snack will be gone in 2012 so the future of NT on this defense is one of the other 2 unless they go defensive line in the draft again.

uclkyle
11-17-2011, 02:09 AM
There isn't really anyone on the current roster to replace him in the starting lineup. Cam is listed at 288 pounds, he's about 75 pounds undersized. Hoke isn't an upgrade and neither is McClendon.

SnakeEyes43
11-17-2011, 09:58 AM
is fat.

SteelDad
11-17-2011, 11:13 AM
It's almost like Hines' situation but on the defensive side of the ball. He's clearly not what he once was and I agree, he's not holding his own in the running game any longer. He still fits situationally, but I would prefer McClendon or Hoke as the season progresses.

UKSTEELER
11-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Yep last season surely.

I couldn't help but think against the Bungles, why is Casey in there I'd prefer McLendon!

Still the odd splash play, but the sight of him going in reverse is embarrassing, to us and to himself I'm sure.

LatrobePA
11-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I thought Hoke was playing the run better than any NT we have..

Blitzburgh55
11-17-2011, 01:12 PM
is fat.

he isnt skinny

LatrobePA
11-17-2011, 01:15 PM
he isnt skinny

Not at all..

Sir Blitzelot
11-17-2011, 01:26 PM
There isn't really anyone on the current roster to replace him in the starting lineup. Cam is listed at 288 pounds, he's about 75 pounds undersized. Hoke isn't an upgrade and neither is McClendon.

Yeah, he is really the only viable option at NT for the Steelers right now.

Goodfrom55
11-17-2011, 02:38 PM
he isnt skinny

He's big boned. . .

The one thing we need from him is penetration and we're not getting it. He runs down the line and takes himself out of the play, especially on stretch runs.

TheFizzman
11-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Casey's job as of now is simply to get two offensive linemen to cover him on run and pass plays. Take two out of the play, allowing the LBs to come into the lanes and make tackles/sacks.

connecticutsteel
11-17-2011, 02:55 PM
There is no doubt he's in the tail end of his days

K Train
11-17-2011, 03:07 PM
He's big boned. . .

The one thing we need from him is penetration and we're not getting it. He runs down the line and takes himself out of the play, especially on stretch runs.

insert: evander hood

uclkyle
11-18-2011, 02:49 AM
I think the play of the inside linebackers also go into the conversation. I think Farriors play has dropped off with age this year and Timmons has not had an impressive season. Larry Foote is average. In fact, this is the worst middle linebacker corp in recent history. I know people are quick to blame Casey for the decrease in run defense this year, but it seems to me Casey is doing the same thing he always does, clog up the middle. I don't think the ILB's are making the plays this year as they have in years past. Just food for thought.

mos07
11-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Does his uniform make him look fat? No, his face does. .....take off from Tommy Boy.