PDA

View Full Version : Does Dennis Dixon see the field this season

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2011, 12:34 AM
He's been inactive for almost every game this year and assuming Ben is able to stay healthy enough to keep playing I don't anticipate him being activated at all the rest of the way. Hines will be the emergency QB behind Charlie Batch.

It's always risky only activating 2 QB's on Gameday, but given how tough Ben is and all the injuries that the Steelers have been dealing with on the interior lines this season, having that extra player dressed is a plus. Tomlin still continues to dress only 7 offensive lineman for a game normally but he has dressed an extra linebacker, defensive lineman, and previously Jonathan Dwyer when Mendenhall was hurt.

Dixon hasn't attempted a regular season pass in 2011 and only played in 2 games in 2010. Going a combined 22-32 for 254 yds. 1 Interception, 5 sacks, no TD's. He signed his one year deal in training camp after not getting any takers for a starting job and far as we know, no significant backup jobs were offered either. Given his lack of playing time in 2011 you'd have to think there won't be much of a market for him in 2012 either. If Batch sticks around for another year you have to wonder if Dixon will stay on board and wait it out until Charlie finally does hang it up. Then he would, seemingly, take over as the primary backup to Ben.

steelersbabex25
11-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Oh God..let's hope not.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Sooner or later the Steelers are going to have to decide what they are going to do with their backup QB situation. Ben is in his 8th year right now, prime of his NFL life. Charlie Batch won't last forever and you have to decide if Dennis Dixon is going to be your guy or are you going to go in a different direction?

Nothing that Dixon has done inspires that much confidence that if he had to come in and play for a significant amount of time, that he'd be able to be successful. He could probably win you a couple games with the help of a good defense and all the weapons he has. Beyond that I wouldn't be all that confident.

LatrobePA
11-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Hopefully NO...

steelchamp204
11-16-2011, 02:36 PM
If he does, thats not good news.

SteelDad
11-16-2011, 02:41 PM
DD sees the field every week, he just doesn't get to play on it. :stirpot:

It's a good question about the QB situation going forward though. I look for a FA signing or even a mid to late round draft pick next year to address this.

uclkyle
11-17-2011, 03:38 AM
He's been inactive for almost every game this year and assuming Ben is able to stay healthy enough to keep playing I don't anticipate him being activated at all the rest of the way. Hines will be the emergency QB behind Charlie Batch.

It's always risky only activating 2 QB's on Gameday, but given how tough Ben is and all the injuries that the Steelers have been dealing with on the interior lines this season, having that extra player dressed is a plus. Tomlin still continues to dress only 7 offensive lineman for a game normally but he has dressed an extra linebacker, defensive lineman, and previously Jonathan Dwyer when Mendenhall was hurt.

Dixon hasn't attempted a regular season pass in 2011 and only played in 2 games in 2010. Going a combined 22-32 for 254 yds. 1 Interception, 5 sacks, no TD's. He signed his one year deal in training camp after not getting any takers for a starting job and far as we know, no significant backup jobs were offered either. Given his lack of playing time in 2011 you'd have to think there won't be much of a market for him in 2012 either. If Batch sticks around for another year you have to wonder if Dixon will stay on board and wait it out until Charlie finally does hang it up. Then he would, seemingly, take over as the primary backup to Ben.

Actually, the Steelers do only activate two quarterbacks on gameday, just like every other team in the NFL. The NFL only allows for 45 active players to be dressed, however, that does NOT include the 3rd string QB. So, Ben and Batch are "active" and count towards the 45 dress rule, however, DD does NOT count towards the 45, even though he does actually wear a uniform and is available to play on Sundays. However, if DD would enter the game prior to the 4th quarter, the starting QB is disqualified from re-entering the game. Its kind of a little known rule, but in reality, each team does dress 46 players on Sunday, however, you probably read in the paper on Monday that DD was "inactive." Well, he was actually dressed, but was not activated by virtue of the fact that he was the designated 3rd QB. If Ben started the game and was injured, Charlie Batch would come in. If he was injured, DD would then enter the game, however, Ben and I believe Charlie would both be deactivated for the remainder of that game. Hines is not currently the emergency QB in any capacity (unless of course three QB's went down). The Steelers do in fact dress three QBs every game and they are all available.

Blitzburgh55
11-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Same chance the eagles have of making the playoffs

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Actually, the Steelers do only activate two quarterbacks on gameday, just like every other team in the NFL. The NFL only allows for 45 active players to be dressed, however, that does NOT include the 3rd string QB. So, Ben and Batch are "active" and count towards the 45 dress rule, however, DD does NOT count towards the 45, even though he does actually wear a uniform and is available to play on Sundays. However, if DD would enter the game prior to the 4th quarter, the starting QB is disqualified from re-entering the game. Its kind of a little known rule, but in reality, each team does dress 46 players on Sunday, however, you probably read in the paper on Monday that DD was "inactive." Well, he was actually dressed, but was not activated by virtue of the fact that he was the designated 3rd QB. If Ben started the game and was injured, Charlie Batch would come in. If he was injured, DD would then enter the game, however, Ben and I believe Charlie would both be deactivated for the remainder of that game. Hines is not currently the emergency QB in any capacity (unless of course three QB's went down). The Steelers do in fact dress three QBs every game and they are all available.

Yeah if the emergency QB comes in the other 2 can't enter the game anymore and then if the emergency goes down than Hines would take over and after that it used to ARE but he's not here anymore.

As tough as Ben is I would hope we'd never need to get to that emergency QB. It used to be that you activated and had 3 available ready to jump in but that was back in the day.

connecticutsteel
11-19-2011, 12:57 AM
i thought they sould have kept the kid they had in camp and ditched DD chris dieker was his name

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-19-2011, 01:31 AM
Does a bear sh.. in the woods?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-19-2011, 01:59 AM
i thought they sould have kept the kid they had in camp and ditched DD chris dieker was his name

Yeah he didn't last too long, I think all along they were hoping Dixon would sign the one year tender and get into camp. Nobody honestly thought he was going to get a serious offer from a team to be the starter so it just made sense for the Steelers to wait it out and see what he did.