PDA

View Full Version : shotgun naked backfield

pimplydan
11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm impressed how comfortable Ben is doing it . I love to see it especially when it works . I think were are a better team than we were last year because our offense has become scary good . the steelers can go into a shotout game vs any team in the NFL ,what happen to smashmouth football ?

Steelers_All_Day_43
11-15-2011, 06:10 PM
I hate this formation. It eliminates any threat of the run.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-15-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't care for it much either, it leaves Ben exposed to the pass rush. If he doesn't get rid of it early the chances of him getting sacked increase significantly. If he does get rid of the ball quick on a short drop then absolutely run it at will.

Ben being vintage Ben is able to escape and make plays under pressure but as 43 said you know there's not going to be a run unless Ben scrambles so while you do give yourself more targets to throw too, you also tip your hat so you better make the play.

Goodfrom55
11-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm impressed how comfortable Ben is doing it . I love to see it especially when it works . I think were are a better team than we were last year because our offense has become scary good . the steelers can go into a shotout game vs any team in the NFL ,what happen to smashmouth football ?

Evolution.

I agree with all of you though. if I'm a DC and I see the Steelers lining up 5 Wide, I hot call an automatic blitz and play man under cover 1 or cover 0 and see if the line can pick up the blitz.

I like 3 or 4 wide with a blocker / receiver in the backfield to block and if no one rushes, he can peel off into the flat for a check down.

coach
11-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Agree with back for a blocking or check down pass. Ben take enough hits as it is.

But, we have a relatively soft second half, so who knows if the offense starts doing this more.

Goodfrom55
11-16-2011, 09:34 PM
It's small keys, when the Steelers line up 5 wide, it is an automatic blitz. When you're in man coverage, and your guy stays in to block, it's an automatic blitz.

3 wide sets are best; hard to load up to defend either run or pass.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm not real confident in the extra blocker when it's Mendenhall back there, but I do like to see Redman or Moore as a sidecar for Ben. That empty set can be lethal if you play it right. The defense will send pressure up the middle in those situations so getting rid of the ball quick can do some serious damage.

Big T
11-17-2011, 03:00 AM
I feel like I've said this a million times (probably because I have) so I'm just gonna paste one of my previous posts:

The thing that's be driving me absolutely f*cking crazy is when BA calls an empty set formation. I absolutely f*cking hate it. Ben gets sacked every f*cking time we go empty set. empty set only works with an O line that can hold it's own and a QB that gets the ball out quickly. We don't have either. We need someone back there with him to pick up the blitz and give Ben that little bit of extra time to do what makes him so special.

I f*cking hate it! Lol