PDA

View Full Version : No huddle offense was the difference in the game

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2011, 07:31 AM
CINCINNATI -- Ben Roethlisberger often has said how much he enjoys running the no-huddle offense, so when Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians floated the idea to him late in the third quarter of Sunday's Steelers-Bengals game, he treated it like a rhetorical question.

"He came to me and said 'Do you want to do it?" Roethlisberger said, "and I said, 'Absolutely, you don't have to ask me twice.'"

The decision to go no-huddle turned out to be a good one as the Steelers, who had just watched the Bengals score to tie the game at 17-17, took the field at their 19 and drove 81 yards on 11 plays, scoring what turned out to be the winning touchdown on a 9-yard run by Rashard Mendenhall.

Roethlisberger said it was the first time the Steelers had used the no-huddle on the road this season. He said it came at the perfect time because the offense needed a spark.

"That was kind of the mentality, let's go no-huddle and see if we can get down there, let's answer," Roethlisberger said. "We take pride in wanting to be the best and that was our time to do it, to step up and score. We always want to answer.
"We needed [the no-huddle]. We did a good job with it last week and it was just time, time to step up and change the pace a little bit and I think we spread it around pretty good in that no-huddle."

Roethlisberger said it is tougher to run the no-huddle on the road because of the crowd noise. There are a lot of calls that the players have to hear and if even a single player isn't on the same page, it can cause confusion and mistakes.

"When you go down the field like that, those are the ones you are proud of the guys," Roethlisberger said. "It was loud and we are calling stuff out and I don't think we had any miscommunications, so that was good."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11318/1189791-66-0.stm#ixzz1dgMjhJAC)

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2011, 12:11 PM
I honestly don't expect to see them break this out on a consistent basis but I can hope. I was a bit surprised, but happy, to see them use it on the road. The Bengals stadium appeared to be pretty loud but it wasn't overwhelmingly so.

Now in KC in 2 weeks, that place gets crazy loud so I'd surprised if they use it unless it's absolutely necessary.

LatrobePA
11-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Anytime you can take the play calling out of BA's hands you'll win! lol

Raleigh Steel
11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
http://5goldenrings.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/no-huddle.jpg

HUNT4SEVEN
11-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Anytime you can take the play calling out of BA's hands you'll win! lol

EXACTLY:clap: on another note i was impressed with how Kapinos punted yesterday, i believe he is our new punter, he put the Bungles deep on there end of the field a couple of times in the 4th quarter when we needed it!:tt02:

Troyisabeast_43
11-14-2011, 12:30 PM
I honestly don't expect to see them break this out on a consistent basis but I can hope. I was a bit surprised, but happy, to see them use it on the road. The Bengals stadium appeared to be pretty loud but it wasn't overwhelmingly so.

Now in KC in 2 weeks, that place gets crazy loud so I'd surprised if they use it unless it's absolutely necessary.

If they can get up on Kansas City early in that game they wont need to use the no huddle in that game...But I agree the Steelers have done a nice job using the no huddle so far the last few games and getting the other team off balance doing so. It's something they definitely should continue with down the road...

LatrobePA
11-14-2011, 12:37 PM
I agree our punter performed well w/ out the hype!

ejsteeler
11-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Love it! For road games, they should have a handfull of plays than can call with signals then when you quiet down the crowd moving down the field, it could be easier to call the no huddle. :imho: