PDA

View Full Version : No flag called on the Heath Miller hit

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2011, 05:45 PM
So once again, the officials have no clue what's going on the game to not call the personal foul, that Reggie Nelson put down on Heath Miller in the first quarter. I would kill to just have a game called the way it's supposed to be, whatever the rules are.

Did we expect it to be called though, will he get fined? The answer is no and maybe. That hit was worse than the Clark hit last weekend and nobody threw the yellow.

Regardless of whether it was intentional or not, or whether it was actually helmet to helmet, it was the same type of hit that Clark did.

LatrobePA
11-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Yep then fatass jumping on ben once he was down..

Raleigh Steel
11-13-2011, 05:55 PM
BRC...it was worse than clarks...he lead with his helmet...he doesn't have to hit miller in the helmet...it was spearing...no question! how could they miss it. if harrison did the same thing that flag would be out before the receiver hit the ground.

Mike Tomlin
11-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Honestly it was a legal hit and a good no call, the problem I have with it is they are not consistent with the flags. If it was legal to hit a defenseless receiver then it should be legal when anyone does it. Had it been a steeler making that hit it would have been a flag no doubt.

floodcitygirl
11-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Helmet to helmet and no late hit called on Ben. Nothing new.

LatrobePA
11-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Roughing the kicker non call too...

JensK
11-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Was screaming for that one too untill they actually showed the play again - The guy was pushed by some dude from Steelers (I think the same guy who was called for holding).

As for the hit - I don't really think it was helmet-to-helmet. Sometimes people need to remember that the helmets can hit as long as they don't hit initially and the defender don't lead with the helmet. As such, I think the call was right. That does not, however, justify all the flags which don't get thrown on Steelers offense.

Nolrog
11-13-2011, 06:36 PM
It's only a penalty when we're on D. When we're on O, the rules change to allow that.

This is nothing new. We've seen it time and time again over the years. Last year, the Ravens almost decapitated Miller and still no call.

Last week we saw tons of missed calls, including offensive pass interference on the game losing TD play.

Speeed
11-13-2011, 06:39 PM
I think he was pushed (that push was called as a penalty), that was the nature of the call. Had he not been pushed it would have been a penalty.

jpele
11-13-2011, 06:58 PM
At least the officials are consistent every week they flag the Steelers and don't flag our opponents.

Speeed
11-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Common' now. That is not true.

QUOTE=jpele;458996]At least the officials are consistent every week they flag the Steelers and don't flag our opponents.[/QUOTE]

coach
11-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Honestly it was a legal hit and a good no call, the problem I have with it is they are not consistent with the flags. If it was legal to hit a defenseless receiver then it should be legal when anyone does it. Had it been a steeler making that hit it would have been a flag no doubt.

I agree. At full speed. I though for sure it was illegal. In slo mo, clean. I got to tell you, though, he hung on to that ball, and that was the amazing part of that play.

Nolrog
11-13-2011, 07:40 PM
the problem I have with it is they are not consistent with the flags. If it was legal to hit a defenseless receiver then it should be legal when anyone does it. Had it been a steeler making that hit it would have been a flag no doubt.

The inconsistency with the flags has been frustrating. I have no problem if it's legal. I have no problem if it's illegal. It just seems that illegal hits (specifically helmet to helmet / spearing) are called against the Steelers (most times rightfully so, although, last year it was much much worse) but not the opponents.

I might add that I do disagree with some of the things the NFL has decided are penalties these days. Receiver coming over the middle, catches the ball . . . there's practically no way to hit him cleanly with today's rules

steelers4life66
11-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Thought that was a BS call on Miller for holding that cost us a TD at the end of the half.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Was screaming for that one too untill they actually showed the play again - The guy was pushed by some dude from Steelers (I think the same guy who was called for holding).

As for the hit - I don't really think it was helmet-to-helmet. Sometimes people need to remember that the helmets can hit as long as they don't hit initially and the defender don't lead with the helmet. As such, I think the call was right. That does not, however, justify all the flags which don't get thrown on Steelers offense.

I was screaming for that one too.

That's the point with this whole new NFL, the officials have absolutely no consistency when calling these hits. Clark leads with his shoulders, goes in for a textbook tackle and gets called because the officials think it's helmet to helmet.

Heath gets hit the same type of way, and nothing.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Do you want it called for helmet to helmet if so it wasn't. If ya want it called for leading with the helmet,ya might get that call. It was just a violent collision and was unfreaking believable he held onto it.!!

steelers4life66
11-13-2011, 11:17 PM
It was just a violent collision and was unfreaking believable he held onto it.!!

Right that......... Miller is one tough SOB!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2011, 03:43 PM
It wasn't helmet to helmet, however they did have the same type of contact that Clark did. Their helmets touched and Heath's head snapped back. So in that case based on past experience you call it. Give the Steelers the benefit of the doubt as you as throw the flag when they do the same.

You just can't win with the officials, it is what it is.

LatrobePA
11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
If he dropped the ball a flag would of been thrown IMO... Stupid rule, it was a nice hit same as Clarks..

Danger DANJ
11-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Do you want it called for helmet to helmet if so it wasn't. If ya want it called for leading with the helmet,ya might get that call. It was just a violent collision and was unfreaking believable he held onto it.!!

You're right, it wasn't helmet to helmet. But, Clark was flagged last week for a hit on a defenseless receiver, and that is exactly what the hit on Miller was. It was identical the way it happened, so as far as I'm concerned, Miller was a defenseless receiver.

With that said, I don't feel Miller or whoever it was that Clark hit should be considered defenseless receivers, but it should at least be consistent.

coach
11-14-2011, 09:03 PM
I still think the hit was fine, and I know we will all be called homers by complaining that our team gets screwed by the refs but I do agree that we get flagged more. I don't have the time to do it, but I bet if we count the number of fines that the nfl has handed out in Steeler games and then looked at how many of those plays resulted in flags, a pattern would emerge. Oddly, we rarely get a fine for a play that didn't involve a flag. I think the Rats alone have gotten 3 fines where there was no flag on the play in the last two seasons. Somebody has got to be able to figure this out.

Root4Stlrs
11-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Thought that was a BS call on Miller for holding that cost us a TD at the end of the half.

I thought so at first but if you look at it again I think you can see him blocking downfield before Ben throws - Heath has been flagged for that before and had TD called back.

uclkyle
11-15-2011, 12:55 AM
I don't care what anyone says.....we consistently get screwed by poor officiating. I don't think there is anything left to say other than the NFL clearly tries to hammer us.

SnakeEyes43
11-15-2011, 10:33 AM
The last few weeks have just been all around bad officiating. I think the refs are scared of messing up and feeling the fury that is Adolf Goodell.