PDA

View Full Version : Rough day for the Steelers offensive line but they persevered

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Not the best day for the Steelers offensive line, giving up 5 sacks and allowing the Bengals to stop the run on a regular basis. They did open up some holes for the run game and did just enough, especially in the redzone to help that cause. The Bengals pass rush spent way too much time in the Steelers backfield, and arguably at some crucial times during the game.

Kemoeatu was a turnstyle on several plays today and just didn't look comfortable pulling or staying put at LG. Gilbert got owned today too but also made some plays. Overall it wasn't the best day for this group, and credit the Bengals front 7 as well. Those guys are tough and able to get after the QB and they gang tackle which is a big reason they stop the run.

They've managed to stay healthy during these last 3 games for the most part. Starks had a stinger today and Gilbert left late in the game but according to Tomlin nothing appears to be serious. The Bengals defensive front deserves credit as well for their efforts but nonethless the big guys for the Black 'N Gold struggled with consistency today.

nuclearchihuahuas
11-13-2011, 08:32 PM
we have got to find Kemo's replacement. I'd rather Legursky played in his place

All you draft officiandos...any good Left guard prospects that might fall to us?

Black@Gold Forever32
11-13-2011, 08:55 PM
In their defense the Bengals have young athletic DL that can rotate 7 men....Dunlap missing the game was huge for them......

LatrobePA
11-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Kemo sucks but Ben accounted for most of the sacks today. As for the run game, mendy ran soft for most of the game..

Real Deal Steel
11-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Our O-line is really banged up. I don't know how their going to make it to the end of the season but I'm proud of them.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Kemo sucks but Ben accounted for most of the sacks today. As for the run game, mendy ran soft for most of the game..

He didn't have many holes to run through either. That 9 yd TD run was a thing of beauty. He broke 2 or 3 tackles on the way to the endzone. I love seeing our backs run hard like that, not being denied.

Big Juicy just hasn't been right since he came back after his knee problems a month ago. He was decent against the Patriots and not bad overall against the Ravens but he was a turnstyle on several occasions today.

I would agree that the Steelers are probably going to look elsewhere for another Guard this coming offseason unless he really steps up his game.

Real Deal Steel
11-14-2011, 01:48 AM
I would love to see the off-season bring us two more young guys for the O-line but we have immediate needs at the DT (nose tackle) position and cornerback.

But as creaky as the O-line is, we neeeeeeed atleast two new, young additions to go with Gilbert and Pouncey.

harpo
11-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Personally, i don't think the line played "bad". A lot of those sacks were either coverage sacks or Ben holding on to the ball too long. Foster was unable to hold his blocks at times, Kemo is just not good in pass blocking, and eventhough Gilbert gave up some plays, he did some good things, too. That's one of the attributes I like about Gilbert and that is if he makes a mistake, he learns from it.

I would give the O-Line a C+ grade.

Big T
11-14-2011, 11:13 AM

I didn't think he ran soft at all. The numbers don't say much but he had a good game.

As for the sacks, I blame Bruce Arians. It was something like 4 of their sacks that came when BA called an Empty Set formation. I already had my rant in another thread but I f*cking hate empty set. This team isn't built for it.

LatrobePA
11-14-2011, 11:19 AM
I should of said soft for the first part of the game, then he turned it on. He seemed to hit the "hole" then stop.

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Ben was hangin around to long He had the time. Their coverage was pretty damn good. This shoulda been a blow out.IMO. Kemo didn't help either.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-14-2011, 01:15 PM
IMO the O-Line did great except for Kemo a couple of times, but Ben also could of ran on a couple of plays and avoided being sack, i don't know why he is scared to run sometimes no QB can make every play, Ben get your head out of your @$$, over all though the Bungels are better than they use to be we have to play better next time we play em...